Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I guess it's cool that both Fromsoft teams were making games revolving around blindfolded people at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

in the first cutscene, you see her put on the crown thing that has a sucking abyss projected in the eye part. since gough also wears a helmet filled with pine pitch but isnt technically blind, i wonder if there's some older fantasy or manga trope of fake blindness in a hero

in the beat takehashi zatoichi movie hes not actually blind. spoilers, though. :P

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think the concept is quite old, sort of like, blindfolding your eyes, so you can use your other senses better. i imagine it came from zatoichi but i wouldnt be surprised if it was older. im certain its from japan though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really common dude. There's all kinds of American and foreign films where people wear blindfolds while training or whatever because it'll improve their other senses. Or there's the blind master that teaches the hero. It's not super common that the blind guy themselves is the hero but there's uhh Daredevil and that awful spinoff movie Netflix made about the sword guy in Marco Polo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i think the concept is quite old, sort of like, blindfolding your eyes, so you can use your other senses better. i imagine it came from zatoichi but i wouldnt be surprised if it was older. im certain its from japan though.

like star wars

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its from the bbible. jesus was blind and he used his other senses to know how to do miracles

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's from game of thrones. it happens to arya.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
its a reference to the manga jojos bizarre adventure which the entire dark souls series is based upon. the firekeeper is blind because in the jojos manga the main character, berserk, is also blind

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gonna have to go with apropos on this one

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

its a reference to the manga jojos bizarre adventure which the entire dark souls series is based upon. the firekeeper is blind because in the jojos manga the main character, berserk, is also blind

Pontiff Sulyvahn and his stand..Pontiff Sulyvahn!!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn and his stand..Pontiff Sulyvahn!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

scary ghost dog posted:

its from the bbible. jesus was blind and he used his other senses to know how to do miracles

Christian here, this checks out

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Man, it was pretty tough getting the plat in this. Lots of covenant requirements.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I hate that the blues and farron are still broken. I have a level 15 with no weapon upgrades that cant get summoned after like an hour in the high wall or undead settlement

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I had any clue what was up with blue phantom summons. Some people, myself included, get summoned close to non-stop, while it seems like most people never get summoned at all. There's gotta be something going on that makes it work flawlessly for some and not at all for others but I have no idea what it could possibly be.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Not sure if this helps but for imps unaware, souls multiplayer works like this: when the game starts matchmaking (either to show signs or determine eligibility for invasions/bluecop whatever) it first runs down a list of people you have successfully connected to before and prioritizes them. The more connections you've made the more likely it is that you'll be summoned/summon again, so it seems to me the reason some people get tons of blue summons is because they've been successful a lot before so instead of trying to search the whole world for eligible players it already has a solid list to choose from of people who have been eligible before so it stands to reason they would be again. This also shrinks the available pool for people with no prior connections because the same people are matching over and over
Tl;dr I probably don't know what I'm talking about but this made sense in my head

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^ weird where did you hear this? Is it new to 3 or always the case? This kind of makes sense because I have definitely run into the same people multiple times which seems incredibly unlikely when the game is probably at its peak server population. Wondering who did the math on it though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Honestly this game could use a Blue Eye Orb, especially since the Red Eye Orb is so easy to get super early on

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

there's a new fix/workaround for the poor blue sentinel matchmaking on PC. all of the responses seem positive
https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

supplementary step-by-step: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jeqkm/solution_for_those_who_are_having_trouble_with/d363ux9

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goferchan posted:

Honestly this game could use a Blue Eye Orb, especially since the Red Eye Orb is so easy to get super early on

Blue Eye Orb would be excellent. Even if the game doesn't have sin, it does keep track of how many Pale Tongues and Human Dregs you've offered, so just have the Blue Eye Orb target people who have offered X number of Pale Tongues/Human Dregs so you can hunt the hunters. Let it invade cross-area and we're set.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the way i thought about it working would be to lt darkmoons invade anyone who hhas an aggressive covenant (fingers, mound makers, etc) up nd keep the sentinels as the gguys who get summoned in to defend. not sure how mny people run around with fingers or whatever up though

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just hope they fix it eventually. the online in this game has been the best in the whole series so if they can just get the auto summon covenants to start working correctly it will be perfect. whats weirdest about it is that aldrich faithful works fine but the others for some reason dont

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
They could also make Darkmoons get summoned to help people who get ganged on after Pontiff regardless of way of blue. The way you get a double reward for killing an Aldrich Faithful makes me think they were planning on having some sort of turf war going on in that are between the faithful and the darkmoons and it would be thematically appropriate.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Put in a dumb PVP arena from DS2 with Aldrich vs Darkmoon.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

gimme 12 on 12 team deathmatch.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's so bizarre that swapping your save file to a shared steam account fixes it... i wish there was a similar option for PS4

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

gimme 12 on 12 team deathmatch.

i want souls CTF

Soral
May 30, 2009

way of blue should get some kind of reward for successfully having a darkmoon blade come in and help them to encourage more people to leave it on. like a swig of siegbrau or something

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the sentinels and darkmoons should have a blue orb and be able to invade anyones world with it regardless of sin level just like real cops

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

the sentinels and darkmoons should have a blue orb and be able to invade anyones world with it regardless of sin level just like real cops

drat..no chill over here

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i want souls CTF

all bullshit aside this would be really really fun

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Greirat is going to die on my sl1 run because I can't parry the pontiff to save my life(or his).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Benny D posted:

all bullshit aside this would be really really fun

A lot of DS3 pvp already ends up turning into a Benny Hill-esque chase through most of the area so

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

A lot of DS3 pvp already ends up turning into a Benny Hill-esque chase through most of the area so

Classic map mode where one base is on the way up to upper blight town and the other is in quelaags room

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

boss of untended graves is a very badass fight. i almost wanted to let him kill me so i could keep fighting him

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

black knights simply do not want to drop their stuff, even when im stacking item discovery. getting really tired of stabbing them over and over

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

boss of untended graves is a very badass fight. i almost wanted to let him kill me so i could keep fighting him

I don't care what hoops they gotta jump through to justify it with lore all I want is a boss rush mode . I know you can co-op to replay them but that's not the same since there are other people. Hell throw some bosses from the other games in there too I wanna fight O&S with my Dark Souls 3 character. Or uh *fails to remember any boss from DS2*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

I don't care what hoops they gotta jump through to justify it with lore all I want is a boss rush mode . I know you can co-op to replay them but that's not the same since there are other people. Hell throw some bosses from the other games in there too I wanna fight O&S with my Dark Souls 3 character. Or uh *fails to remember any boss from DS2*

Lost Sinner, Mirror Knight, Freja, Velstadt and King Vendrick are all badass.

• Locked thread