Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilverMike posted:

It's a companion app that requires the physical set to play with. It'll tell you how to set everything up, give you random events, and let you know how you should be controlling the monster's AI.

Sounds like a bit of wasted potential. They have the entire back end worked out, with some graphics that would be a good digital version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Presumably they want the app to aid sales of the physical game and its expansions, not cannibalize them. It also doesn't have to know how hero abilities work, where heroes are, where monsters are, so quite a bit less to code.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 14, 2016

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

EvilChameleon posted:

I didn't know enough to protest loudly when the group decided to pull out Eurorails and, jeez, what a dull 4 hours that was. I had to leave partway through to stop from dying of boredom. BGG has this game above 1000 in rank, is there something here I'm missing? It's super simple and takes way too long.

My friends love train games, so I've played a couple with them. They're actually pretty fun - turns are quick and simple, there's not a ton of pieces to manage, there's no dice to roll, and random events affect everyone.

They started me with Empire Builder (which is the US version - knowing where the cities are helps a great deal in planning) and we played a round of Iron Dragon - this is the Fantasy land version which is more complicated.

There's a house rule stating you get to build BEFORE you move, which makes the game so much faster.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I played Cyclades and enjoyed it a lot! I won, by breaking a tie with most gold. We agreed it was a bit more turtley than we expected, so I suggested the host pick up the Titans expansion.
He got Hades instead!

Cyclades is still pretty cool.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Sounds like a bit of wasted potential. They have the entire back end worked out, with some graphics that would be a good digital version of the game.

Thing is though, I don't think I'd play a digital version of Descent. There are far better tactics games and RPGs if you have a computer or tablet. They made a Battlelore app for instance which is pretty forgettable. It might be a cool board game but in their need to stay faithful to the board game they left in stuff like dice rolls that apps really don't need or do well.

I think it's actually kind of clever to do it this way. You keep the tactile board game bits and get what looks to be a relatively unobtrusive app that takes over what is one of the most problematic aspects of the original game.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

EVGA Longoria posted:

My friends love train games, so I've played a couple with them. They're actually pretty fun - turns are quick and simple, there's not a ton of pieces to manage, there's no dice to roll, and random events affect everyone.

They started me with Empire Builder (which is the US version - knowing where the cities are helps a great deal in planning) and we played a round of Iron Dragon - this is the Fantasy land version which is more complicated.

There's a house rule stating you get to build BEFORE you move, which makes the game so much faster.

Building before movement seems like it would be a great help, and there are a few quality of life improvements that could be made, but I really think it just drags on too long for the amount of choices. Not that it is the worst game I've ever played or anything, just not for me I guess. Maybe a fun drinking game?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Alright, we interrupt these messages for a bit of shameful self-promotion. I've been working on a game off and on for a couple months, and I'm looking for interested folks for a few PBP playtests over in the Design Thread.

It's a semi-abstract semi-wargame of tactical starvation called Meltwater. Set after an alternate Cold War gone nuclear, you play as the last remnants of the US and USSR, squabbling over the last scrap of habitable land in Antarctica. But as you fight, the fallout-contaminated water of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans spreads inland, threatening to ruin even this last bastion of human survival. Two players, about an hour realtime, so probably a month forums time?

I'm looking for up to six interested people who can manage at least a turn every two days, and who are willing to fill out a super short questionnaire afterwards. Any takers?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Machai posted:

They should make an Essen shopping boardgame.

What on earth made you think this hadn't already happened?

Fat Turkey: what nobody has yet mentioned is that every year there is an updated Android app for Spiel. It has maps of the halls plus filterable lists of all games on display with the stand numbers they are at. I used it in 2014 and was able to see everything I wanted in two days, although it was close. There will also probably be a goonmeet there this year, if people can tell the difference between the Atrium and the Galleria this time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I asked Marco Arnaudo why he hasn't reviewed Fields of Fire yet, since he said the review would be up "early 2016".

His response:

"Oh, i did learn the rules and played a couple of turns during last Christmas break, before putting the game away resigning to the fact that it is not for me. It felt too convoluted and abstract for my taste."

We finally found the game that broke Marco.

edit-- Rutibex please make your own copy. I want this game to hurt as many people as possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

I asked Marco Arnaudo why he hasn't reviewed Fields of Fire yet, since he said the review would be up "early 2016".

His response:

"Oh, i did learn the rules and played a couple of turns during last Christmas break, before putting the game away resigning to the fact that it is not for me. It felt too convoluted and abstract for my taste."

We finally found the game that broke Marco.

edit-- Rutibex please make your own copy. I want this game to hurt as many people as possible.

I have tried several times to watch a tutorial video that explains the rules of Fields of Fire. I always end up blacked out and wake up several hours later near the end of the video series. I don't remember what happened to me for those stretches of time (or how the game is played!). It's like I was abducted by aliens :tinfoil:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I'm fairly certain that was :thejoke:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

SilverMike posted:

It's a companion app that requires the physical set to play with. It'll tell you how to set everything up, give you random events, and let you know how you should be controlling the monster's AI.

How is Descent anyway? A few pages back I was looking at this (ended up getting Mage Knight Board Game to play with a friend) but it looked really cool. Problem was we'd probably just be playing 2 player, and having one person by Dungeon Master / whatever makes it a bit of a waste. This seems to fix that.

Has anyone used this? Is Descent OK with two people assuming this app is any good? Is this too complicated to throw some people whose main experience with RPGs is just on PC?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gutter Owl posted:

Alright, we interrupt these messages for a bit of shameful self-promotion. I've been working on a game off and on for a couple months, and I'm looking for interested folks for a few PBP playtests over in the Design Thread.

It's a semi-abstract semi-wargame of tactical starvation called Meltwater. Set after an alternate Cold War gone nuclear, you play as the last remnants of the US and USSR, squabbling over the last scrap of habitable land in Antarctica. But as you fight, the fallout-contaminated water of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans spreads inland, threatening to ruin even this last bastion of human survival. Two players, about an hour realtime, so probably a month forums time?

I'm looking for up to six interested people who can manage at least a turn every two days, and who are willing to fill out a super short questionnaire afterwards. Any takers?

Looks super cool, but I can't seem to find the Doomsday cards anywhere.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Rutibex posted:

I have tried several times to watch a tutorial video that explains the rules of Fields of Fire. I always end up blacked out and wake up several hours later near the end of the video series. I don't remember what happened to me for those stretches of time (or how the game is played!). It's like I was abducted by aliens :tinfoil:

Start with the basics! The core acion point engine is pretty simple and elegant, then go over dudes shooting each other and then deeper and deeper. The great irony of Fields of Fire is that the system behind it is fairly simple, it just has a lot of poorly-defined grog stuff on top of it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Krazyface posted:

Looks super cool, but I can't seem to find the Doomsday cards anywhere.

Doomsday cards are here.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

teacup posted:

How is Descent anyway? A few pages back I was looking at this (ended up getting Mage Knight Board Game to play with a friend) but it looked really cool. Problem was we'd probably just be playing 2 player, and having one person by Dungeon Master / whatever makes it a bit of a waste. This seems to fix that.

Has anyone used this? Is Descent OK with two people assuming this app is any good? Is this too complicated to throw some people whose main experience with RPGs is just on PC?

I played it 2 player. It was pretty cool. We played the intro 1 on 1 but the next few quests were better when I was playing two characters. More players would be better of course but it was still a good time like that. We didnt use the app tho so can't speak to that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I owned the first edition of Descent and only played it a couple of times before giving it to my nephews. For the hassle of setting everything up and the need for an overlord, I'd rather just play DnD or Pathfinder or something. It just seems like it's a lot of time commitment and work for little payoff in terms of satisfaction from playing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Descent is also heavily reliant on dice to resolve combat. Pretty much the opposite of Mage Knight if you're enjoying that.

I have Descent already so I've downloaded the app to give it a go. The presentation is very polished and I think it's a neat idea, but I don't really have high hopes because the fundamental game mechanism doesn't really appeal to me.

Having said that, I think it is a very interesting move by FFG.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Baseball Highlights: 2045 is my favorite sports game and possibly my favorite iterative deckbuilder. It gives you sequential important decisions: who to play, who to put in reserve, and who to buy; when to put your runners on, and eventually "what kind of team will I build?"

Over the course of a 3 game season and 4-7 game series (each lasting about eight minutes if you're slow), you'll replace 2/3 of your deck with Robots, Cyborgs, and All-American Naturals to ram in homers and swallow up the basepaths. And if your opponent's too good? HIT HIM WITH THE PITCH, turn their home runs into triples and grin as they go down in the final inning with the bases loaded and no more offense.

Rot in hell, Neo-LA. Boston Inc is here to stay.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I wonder if FFG is working on a similar app for ImpAss

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description

Dark Souls kickstarter ending in 24 hours.

It's going to pass $4.5 million US dollars. It's expensive but obviously hit a ton of stretch goals and still has more to go.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

how much money does it cost to design, market, and produce a board game on average?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

MrDru posted:

how much money does it cost to design, market, and produce a board game on average?

Depends on way too many factors to do an average. That being said, your typical game is going to have a production cost of 20% or less of MSRP. Keep in mind though that's for companies that have all sorts of production efficiencies.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 15, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MrDru posted:

Design: I'll be an "ideas guy" for exposure
Marketing: Just link your kickstarter here
Production: Free because of your loyal fans

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Golden Bee posted:

Baseball Highlights: 2045 is my favorite sports game and possibly my favorite iterative deckbuilder. It gives you sequential important decisions: who to play, who to put in reserve, and who to buy; when to put your runners on, and eventually "what kind of team will I build?"

Is it enjoyable to someone who doesn't give a poo poo about sports? I've been eyeing this game, hoping someone I know will pick it up so I can give it a go.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Design: I'll be an "ideas guy" for exposure
Marketing: Just link your kickstarter here
Production: Free because of your loyal fans

I know you're playing devil's advocate, but kickstarter-as-a-preorder really is becoming tired. Those companies are asking people to lend them money free of interest and people keep falling for it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EvilChameleon posted:

Is it enjoyable to someone who doesn't give a poo poo about sports? I've been eyeing this game, hoping someone I know will pick it up so I can give it a go.

I think baseball is boring as hell, and I really dig BH2045. It's out on IOS (maybe android as well), if you want to see how it plays. The rules are incredibly simple but manages to create a big decision tree.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

theroachman posted:

I know you're playing devil's advocate, but kickstarter-as-a-preorder really is becoming tired. Those companies are asking people to lend them money free of interest and people keep falling for it.

BUT. The preorder bonuses and exclusive stuff can be well worth the price if you don't mind waiting.

If you do it with safe companies when the value is right then it's a win-win. I don't see the problem with community sourcing a loan rather then paying a bank somewhere intrest.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It's baseball themed, but it doesn't play like a sports game.

I found it fine, but non-compelling. I'd definitely do the Android/iOS version first to be sure..

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

Doomsday cards are here.

Are those poker chips still available anywhere?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

jmzero posted:

It's baseball themed, but it doesn't play like a sports game.

I found it fine, but non-compelling. I'd definitely do the Android/iOS version first to be sure..

Ah god dammit it's iPad only on iOS. I wish this would stop now that iPhones are big.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

dropkickpikachu posted:

Ah god dammit it's iPad only on iOS. I wish this would stop now that iPhones are big.

Not on android either :(

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

it just seems crazy that dark souls got 4.5 million dollarydoos. how are they gonna spend all that? or is that money straight in the designers pockets? maybe I'm just ignorant on how Kickstarter works.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrDru posted:

Depends. You can publish a game on The Game Crafter for free. This is far as I would go if I was an Indy boardgame designer. Designing board games seems to me a very thankless job to do professionally, but a great hobby to do for fun. The Game Crafter allows you to design as a hobby and publish without any hassle. You won't get a good profit margin on your game, but if it turns into the next Monopoly you can sell the rights to Wizards of the Coast or whatever:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

MrDru posted:

it just seems crazy that dark souls got 4.5 million dollarydoos. how are they gonna spend all that? or is that money straight in the designers pockets? maybe I'm just ignorant on how Kickstarter works.

Pay checks, insurance, testing, sculpting, tooling, marketing, printing, shipping, etc. There's a laundry lists of costs associated with producing a game that goes on behind the scenes. Economies of scale kick in at high volumes which increases profit overall, but in general there isn't nearly as much "into the pockets" money as most people assume, even at the 7-digit level.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrDru posted:

Dammit I can't read sarcasm on the internet anymore.

Let's just say that factoring in all of their stretch goals and so on that producing 28,000 copies of a game that's "over $200 of retail value" is going to cost well over a million dollars. That's just for backers, they're obviously going to produce thousands more for general retail because cost of production goes down the more manufacture at once.

Then there's marketing, distribution, paying employees, keeping the lights on for the year or so of production, and licensing fees to Namco for putting the Dark Souls name on the box. The original $70,000 goal was optimistic and there's a real problem with Kickstarters undershooting in the hopes they'll make far more than they're asking. They're an established company with products, so that's a plus for them, but always be wary of a Kickstarter from a beginner where the asking price seems too low.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Dammit I can't read sarcasm on the internet anymore.

Let's just say that factoring in all of their stretch goals and so on that producing 28,000 copies of a game that's "over $200 of retail value" is going to cost well over a million dollars. That's just for backers, they're obviously going to produce thousands more for general retail because cost of production goes down the more manufacture at once.

Then there's marketing, distribution, paying employees, keeping the lights on for the year or so of production, and licensing fees to Namco for putting the Dark Souls name on the box. The original $70,000 goal was optimistic and there's a real problem with Kickstarters undershooting in the hopes they'll make far more than they're asking. They're an established company with products, so that's a plus for them, but always be wary of a Kickstarter from a beginner where the asking price seems too low.

sorry I wasn't being sarcastic, I really didn't know. I realize it costs lots of money to create something and publish it, but I assumed it would be cheaper, and I assumed wrong.

Neurotic Roleplay fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 16, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

I think baseball is boring as hell, and I really dig BH2045. It's out on IOS (maybe android as well), if you want to see how it plays. The rules are incredibly simple but manages to create a big decision tree.

Thanks for the heads upon the iOS release!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrDru posted:

sorry I wasn't being sarcastic, I really didn't know. I realize it costs lots of money to created something and publish it, but I assumed it would be cheaper, and I assumed wrong.

Good rule of thumb, whatever someone asks for on Kickstarter is maybe enough to pay for the game and nothing else. There was one board game project, I'm sure someone can fill in the details, that had a successful Kickstarter but the creator had to sell his house because unforeseen costs ramped up as the game was ready to be shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

al-azad posted:

Good rule of thumb, whatever someone asks for on Kickstarter is maybe enough to pay for the game and nothing else. There was one board game project, I'm sure someone can fill in the details, that had a successful Kickstarter but the creator had to sell his house because unforeseen costs ramped up as the game was ready to be shipped.

That wasn't even a new game, it was the enhanced version of Glory to Rome.