Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leperflesh posted:

Frank Lloyd Wright made incredibly good looking houses, but Falling Water is a great example of crappy construction tales, actually.

So were a number of his other designs.

Did the architectural failures thread ever get resurrected?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I grew up in FLW's hometown, so I've been in a few of his more modest homes (ie not the big flashy projects like Falling Water), and they are, even to someone with no appreciation for architecture, beautiful.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I grew up in FLW's hometown, so I've been in a few of his more modest homes (ie not the big flashy projects like Falling Water), and they are, even to someone with no appreciation for architecture, beautiful.

In Springfield, Illinois, is the Dana-Thomas House. It is pretty amazing (even down to the custom made glass for the right color profile on the inside and reflectivity on the outside) and the custom furniture. If you are ever there, I highly recommend it. It is flipping huge, but one of Wright's attractive but functional structures.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Samizdata posted:

In Springfield, Illinois, is the Dana-Thomas House. It is pretty amazing (even down to the custom made glass for the right color profile on the inside and reflectivity on the outside) and the custom furniture. If you are ever there, I highly recommend it. It is flipping huge, but one of Wright's attractive but functional structures.

I am absolutely in love with the Dana-Thomas House. I'm not an architecture or building nerd by any stretch, but I've taken the tour a couple times now and I love it. Everything from the water fixtures to the desk lamps and dining chairs all work together beautifully. Even my wife was impressed when the tour was over and I'm pretty sure she didn't give the most minuscule of shits when we first got there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, solar panels are on clearance at Campers World. Does anyone know if there's a diy solar thread on the forums? Or am I doomed to have someone post my results in this thread. I just want to set up a solar system for my camper, won't power more then some LED's and my cell phone, maybe charge my laptop.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 11, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, solar panels are on clearance at Campers World. Does anyone know if there's a diy solar thread on the forums? Or am I doomed to have someone post my results in this thread. I just want to set up a solar system for my camper, won't power more then some LED's and my cell phone, maybe charge my laptop.

What do you need to DIY other than attaching them to the roof or whatever? Most solar panels come with a plug, so you don't even need to wire anything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nitrox posted:

What do you need to DIY other than attaching them to the roof or whatever? Most solar panels come with a plug, so you don't even need to wire anything.

Attaching them to a car or truck battery kills the battery right quick. ( the camper is really a truck with a cap i'm turning into a boondocking stealth camper) I need a guide or advice on how to set up my system. Most of the guides I see are geared towards waayy bigger setups. I've got a pretty low kWh demand.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
golf cart batteries are usually a good diy style choice but no doubt tech has improved from when i did the shed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A quick Google turns up hundreds of products or setups and designs for exactly this, what is troubling you in particular?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Solarchat goes in the BFC stock trading megathread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Solarchat goes in the BFC stock trading megathread.

People reading this may think it is a joke, but we are very serious about our solar stock gambling.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or to be a little more helpful, probably the "don't burn your house down" wiring thread, since this is an electricity project. Alternatively, post a thread in AI, since this is also an automotive project.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are you talking DIY solar panel as in "put them on the roof and connect them to a battery"? Or DIY as in "sandwich PV cells between a sheet of glass and a plywood backing solder the tabs together by hand"?

If it's the former, you need a diode.

http://www.solar-facts.com/panels/panel-diodes.php

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Leperflesh posted:

Or to be a little more helpful, probably the "don't burn your house down" wiring thread, since this is an electricity project. Alternatively, post a thread in AI, since this is also an automotive project.

Or BFC if you are planning to live in the campervan instead of an apartment to save money.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Or YLLS If you plan to hitch the trailer to a bike and bike across the country.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
which one was it if you planned to walk from california to florida while dragging a baby carriage again?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or tcc if you want some cheap copper wiring and don't ask a lot of questions.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Cheap wiring?! It just so happens that I'm about to DIY a bunch of solar panels!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cakefool posted:

A quick Google turns up hundreds of products or setups and designs for exactly this, what is troubling you in particular?

Well, you see, the solar pannels are on clearance at campers world, but it's not a kit. They're meant for an RV battery. Now, I might just buy the RV battery anyway, similar cost to the two golf cart batteries I need. If you can link me to any of those helpful links, I'd appreciate it! Everything I'm turning up is for systems that are using way more battery then I'll ever need, or trickle chargers that I dont think will provide enough. Or they could, and I'm wrong! I'm clueless, really.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate any insight. I'll probably start a project thread soon.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I have something for you to add to your OP.

Firstly, whether a battery is intended for a golf cart or an RV or as a power supply as emergency backup lighting is incidental to your purposes. You care about whether a battery is "deep cycle" or "starting." Secondly, you care about whether your battery is 6v or 12v.

Is the battery RV a 12V deep cycle battery? If not, there is a problem and you will not go to space today.

About the solar panels: Are they 12V? And, how many Watts are they?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SneakyFrog posted:

which one was it if you planned to walk from california to florida while dragging a baby carriage again?

Oh god, what a thread that was.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, you see, the solar pannels are on clearance at campers world, but it's not a kit. They're meant for an RV battery. Now, I might just buy the RV battery anyway, similar cost to the two golf cart batteries I need. If you can link me to any of those helpful links, I'd appreciate it! Everything I'm turning up is for systems that are using way more battery then I'll ever need, or trickle chargers that I dont think will provide enough. Or they could, and I'm wrong! I'm clueless, really.

Jokes aside, I do appreciate any insight. I'll probably start a project thread soon.

Okay well we need more details as the previous poster said. Voltage of the panels and possibly a product link. It might be as simple as panel, diode, battery, throw a couple of switches and a fuse block in there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

DreadLlama posted:

I have something for you to add to your OP.

Firstly, whether a battery is intended for a golf cart or an RV or as a power supply as emergency backup lighting is incidental to your purposes. You care about whether a battery is "deep cycle" or "starting." Secondly, you care about whether your battery is 6v or 12v.

Is the battery RV a 12V deep cycle battery? If not, there is a problem and you will not go to space today.

About the solar panels: Are they 12V? And, how many Watts are they?

Yep, already nixed the car battery idea, probably gonna go with RV storage battery. The pannels is an 80 watt 12v. It usually costs 499, but it's on a huge sale of only 184, which is a bugfuck nuts good deal. They also have the controllers on sale too, the 24volt is 129.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$184 for an 80 watt solar panel is a pretty mediocre deal unless it's in a special form factor.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
If you're only used to seeing bix box store prices, that'll seem like a good deal. When I started out in 2002 I bought 15W solar panels for $100 a pop from Walmart.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zhentar posted:

$184 for an 80 watt solar panel is a pretty mediocre deal unless it's in a special form factor.

Well boy howdy, that's why I'm asking questions. Let me know where I can always buy pannels for such good prices.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yep, already nixed the car battery idea, probably gonna go with RV storage battery. The pannels is an 80 watt 12v. It usually costs 499, but it's on a huge sale of only 184, which is a bugfuck nuts good deal. They also have the controllers on sale too, the 24volt is 129.

What's with those prices?? Is it some kind of super-small totally high-tech solar panel that you want? Or hardened against meteors? I see 12V 80W on amazon for around 120, a fancy solar load controller will run around 20-30.
Then you just need a battery and some cable.

About the setup? Connect solar panel to load controller where there is a symbol of a solar panel.
Connect Battery to load controller where there is a symbol of a battery.
Connect a switch and then your lights or whatever to the load controller where there is a symbol of (probably) a light-bulb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those prices are crazy. $1/watt is standard for even flexible panels. Add a solar charge controller, and you're golden.

Here's how I did my bus:

https://stupidbus.wordpress.com/2016/02/28/on-lead/

https://stupidbus.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/on-solar-systems/

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sooo... replacing some cabinets in the kitchen (original cabinets from the 60's are no good). We pull down a bulkhead and realize that they've run the wiring for the bathroom through the bulkhead, rather then through the stud bay. Looking into the wall, I can see a junction box, so I'm thinking ok, just detach all the wires, drill holes in the top plate, reattach, no problem.

So, I go into the bathroom and look for the junction box. It's about 6 inches below the light. I open the terrible cabinet...

Huh.. no junction box. Let's take that off the wall (not hard, only attached to the drywall with a couple screws and some caulk).

Uhhhh.. maybe it's under the wallpaper?

Gee that looks a lot like a box....

Surprisingly, there's a cover buried under all that mud!

Fully dug out with the cover removed (those bare wires in the top left are grounds)

So best guess, at some point in the past the previous owners installed that monstrosity of a cabinet. Rather then move the box into the attic, they covered it in mud, wallpapered over it, and mounted a cabinet in front of it.

I moved it into the attic, and it's now easily accessible next to the vent fan.

The PO had the bathroom fan vented into the attic. Due to it's placement, it was blowing under the insulation and into the kitchen bulkhead. When we opened up the bulkhead, we discovered about half an inch of what can best be described as dryer lint.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I am absolutely in love with the Dana-Thomas House. I'm not an architecture or building nerd by any stretch, but I've taken the tour a couple times now and I love it. Everything from the water fixtures to the desk lamps and dining chairs all work together beautifully. Even my wife was impressed when the tour was over and I'm pretty sure she didn't give the most minuscule of shits when we first got there.

My ex-wife and I used to fantasize about winning some insane lottery prize and going nuts and renting it for our Christmas party with a VERY select (ie non-spaz, non-dick) guest list.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone forgot their 7 Ps.

Although that goes for a lot of the content in this thread.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well boy howdy, that's why I'm asking questions. Let me know where I can always buy pannels for such good prices.

I'd troll aliexpress, here's a 100W panel for $134

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ECO-100w-100watt-Solar-Panel-Module-for-12V-system-free-shipping-in-USA-EU-AU-RU/32388266132.html

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 12, 2016

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

I bought a new dishwasher a year ago and every appliance said top controls die a lot due to humidity collecting on the controls.

Can the piece sticking out of the radiator be rotated 90 degrees out of the way? I know nothing about that piece on the radiator or how it works.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I believe it's a thermostat. No idea if rotating it out of the way would impede its function.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's probably just a valve and not a proper thermostat. It probably could be reinstalled so it's upright, but you'd have to have someone with at least half a brain to do it and I'd guess those are in short supply in light of the dishwasher situation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's a thermostatic valve. That type is pretty common in Europe where most houses are heated by water radiators, although they're largely getting displaced by electric valves controlled by a a single thermostat in the room.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crotch Fruit posted:

I bought a new dishwasher a year ago and every appliance said top controls die a lot due to humidity collecting on the controls.

I don't really get built-in dishwashers (or fridges.)

OK, so it integrates slightly more with your cabinetry. In the con column, it's a pain in the butt to do anything with, or replace, and the fridge slider mechanisms can get jammed, or come undone. I've even seen fridges that can have the fridge door ajar when the cabinet door is "closed". I imagine you would have to re-tighten the screws on the handle pictured reasonably frequently, and that doesn't look fun either.

Plus you presumably have an oven and microwave anyway that aren't integrated, so what's one more.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

~Coxy posted:

OK, so it integrates slightly more with your cabinetry. In the con column, it's a pain in the butt to do anything with, or replace, and the fridge slider mechanisms can get jammed, or come undone. I've even seen fridges that can have the fridge door ajar when the cabinet door is "closed". I imagine you would have to re-tighten the screws on the handle pictured reasonably frequently, and that doesn't look fun either.

Plus you presumably have an oven and microwave anyway that aren't integrated, so what's one more.

It's just more inconspicuous, especially if you have a particularly specific design motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

~Coxy posted:

Where are you that mobile dishwashers are common? I have seen exactly one not-built-in household dishwasher in my life. It was my parents, when I was a child, over two decades ago.