Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh god, right

watch this guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
'there is not a single thing about this woman that doesn't annoy me' - graham norton

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
get ready for some heiling

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

'they obviously had a lengthy discussion about costume and staging and decided they liked every idea'

'it has lasers shooting of trees and a moon'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
oh my god

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Disinterested posted:

not sure about this, randler?

I think generally the English being taught in German schools will usually end up sounding closer to non-distinct US-English than RE or any of the local British variants.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jesus

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

but that wasn't a posh English accent it was like some kind of estuary thing like dis said which I hope is not taught to young swedes

it's always combined with the the prosody and pronounciation of the country they're from. you can pick swedish english, dutch english etc. apart but they all go for the upper crust british english style in education

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Disinterested posted:

'there is not a single thing about this woman that doesn't annoy me' - graham norton
'jamie-lee went to [hot topic equivalent] and stitched everything on top of each other' - peter van de veire, our sassman

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is driving me to drink

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

this girl looks like someone covered her in glue and then rolled her through a cosplay convention

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
i love her

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

it's always combined with the the prosody and pronounciation of the country they're from. you can pick swedish english, dutch english etc. apart but they all go for the upper crust british english style in education

I just don't think this is true or is only a narrow pov

it certainly doesn't hold true of italians or french people either in my experience

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
not cute at all

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
How to mimic a British accent:

1. Wildly switch pitch mid-sentenec
3. Include oi, mate and pissin' in every phrase
3. u wot m8

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

not cute at all
sie ist sehr kawai, herr sedan-chan

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
sure germany, maybe if you cover yourself in enough sanrio vomit you too can be seen as harmless like the nipponese

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Randler posted:

3. u wot m8

my god, our shibboleth

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

you forgot to mention saying oval office a lot though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
and now, french parkour wolverine

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
lol is it a requirement they all sing in english

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

and now, french parkour wolverine

he's a dentist

our sass man keeps saying what their profession is if they're not singers saying 'don't worry they have something to fall back on'

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I just don't think this is true or is only a narrow pov

it certainly doesn't hold true of italians or french people either in my experience

ask a bunch of students waht they were taught during high school english classes and you'll get your answer, i'm pretty sure of it since it's been my experience as well

many adopt a more neutral transatlantic accent due to the influence of american media, but that wasn't the question

(current song is boring)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randler posted:

I think generally the English being taught in German schools will usually end up sounding closer to non-distinct US-English than RE or any of the local British variants.
Most Germans I've met, either in Germany or in the US, strike me as speaking closest to the Mid-Atlantic accent.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Aeryk posted:

lol is it a requirement they all sing in english

no

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
screensaver chic

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ask a bunch of students waht they were taught during high school english classes and you'll get your answer, i'm pretty sure of it since it's been my experience as well

many adopt a more neutral transatlantic accent due to the influence of american media, but that wasn't the question

(current song is boring)

I am pretty sure you're just projecting your own experience on to this

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
r mute what accent was taught standard in middle and high school in your experience, back me up

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

he's a dentist

our sass man keeps saying what their profession is if they're not singers saying 'don't worry they have something to fall back on'

imagine how excited his patients must be

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
A BF3 clan I was in had two Irish people who were born and raised about 10 miles from each other. One had perfectly understandable English without any of the pitch issues that most English have, while the other had an Oi!rish accent so thick the Americans in this thread would decry it as a racist caricature.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

angry french dude sitting at home: mon dieu, a whole chorus in english? c'est détestable

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
this guys #1 so far

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

r mute what accent was taught standard in middle and high school in your experience, back me up
queen's english, yea

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
it's john petrucci everyone

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

R. Mute posted:

angry french dude sitting at home: mon dieu, a whole chorus in english? c'est détestable

Je telecharge le complaint as we speak.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

gay pirate time

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Randler posted:

A BF3 clan I was in had two Irish people who were born and raised about 10 miles from each other. One had perfectly understandable English without any of the pitch issues that most English have, while the other had an Oi!rish accent so thick the Americans in this thread would decry it as a racist caricature.

There are a lot of different Irish accents op

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

the institut francais is literally drafting an arrest warrant rn

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
man i didn't know weird al's son lived in poland

• Locked thread