Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looper posted:

i can understand someone who doesn't like guns (but is too afraid to straight up say so?) being freaked out by a realistic gun sim. i mean, i don't like guns. but good lord this guy sounds like a weenie

Yeah seriously, I have no problem if you aren't a gun nut or whatever, but the guy seems downright terrified that a gun might have a bullet left in the chamber after you remove the clip.

In a videogame simulator.

He starts ranting about insane political poo poo that doesn't matter and I just want to slap him. So sheltered.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drawing dicks on conan's face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlZGtcRdUo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah seriously, I have no problem if you aren't a gun nut or whatever, but the guy seems downright terrified that a gun might have a bullet left in the chamber after you remove the clip.

In a videogame simulator.

He starts ranting about insane political poo poo that doesn't matter and I just want to slap him. So sheltered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVwgiZ3xao

I can't believe this guy is so unprofessional and unprepared, and :wtf: why does he put an Amiibo in his mouth?! Those clowns at Polygon, what a bunch of clowns!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I think the moment I realized FO3 was a step forward in games technology was when I went to Rivet City for a totally unrelated sidequest in Megaton and stumbled upon the scientist lady, who recognized me when I talked to her and jumped the plot quests ahead several hours. I didn't have to do the detour to Galaxy News Radio or do Three Dog's quest or go do the Washington Monument or any of that stuff, and I was able to pick up the radio dish repair thing as a sidequest later instead. I thought it was very cool that the game allowed that to happen instead of just not spawning her until the time for her to show up in the main quest chain came up.
Yeah, that what's I liked about 3. The main plot is garbage but its still kind of cool how you can just sequence break it. Like you can just go straight to Tranquility Road from the beginning of the game. Of course that shows the fact that the main plot is mostly just lovely fetch quests, but hey its still kind of neat how it rewards exploration, which is what you should be doing in 3 anyway; just ignoring the main plot for as long as possible and exploring the wastes instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is Polygon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwg6RTjCH7g

So cringey. Just... agh. God drat.

again. its polygon. they are probably the worst game site next to killscreen and kotaku.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mass Effect does it better than Fallout 3, but it's still got problems. The Paragon options are pretty consistent, but Renegade options are a mix of pragmatism, racism, general dickishness and outright evil. It's pretty easy to imagine a character that is one (or some) of them but not all, but it's not always clear what the options and interrupts do.

pretty much. I usualy go paragon but sometimes the renegade qte are better. it made my shepherd an overall good guy, but he could waste a fucker if it came down to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVwgiZ3xao

I can't believe this guy is so unprofessional and unprepared, and :wtf: why does he put an Amiibo in his mouth?! Those clowns at Polygon, what a bunch of clowns!

Griffin McElroy is like the one cool person at Polygon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i had some trouble completely enveloping the tail

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Harrow posted:

Griffin McElroy is like the one cool person at Polygon.

excuse me, theres also justin mcelroy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dad Jokes posted:

excuse me, theres also justin mcelroy

I like Justin better on My Brother, My Brother, and Me than in his games writing but he's pretty okay too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: Fallout chat. 3 and Oblivion are both good games with glaring flaws. As time goes on people remember the flaws but not the good parts.

Though it weirds me out when people say Oblivion is worse than Skyrim when they both have the same lovely combat, but oblivion has better writing and let's you craft spells.

3 was unique, but I won't defend it much since I feel it was a step down from Oblivion, which is hard to do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Though it weirds me out when people say Oblivion is worse than Skyrim when they both have the same lovely combat, but oblivion has better writing and let's you craft spells.

Try playing Oblivion these days.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

big article on lionhead here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

this bit is interesting

quote:

McCormack was further incensed over a row over the box art for Fable 3.

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's loving it. Stop the arguing. I was like, gently caress you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like gently caress you, man. I hated it.
princess and the frog was actually disney's first big success since lilo & stitch so microsoft wasn't even right on that one. (look at treasure planet, dinosaur, home on the range for actual bombs)

i wish america had cooler boxart :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oblivion is the worst open-world RPG I've ever played. Everything about it is bland.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Snak posted:

Oblivion is the worst open-world RPG I've ever played. Everything about it is bland.

See, I get this argument, and arguments like these. But I don't understand how they don't apply to Skyrim as well.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

Try playing Oblivion these days.

I have, and I played roughly twice as long as I could stand playing Skyrim(an hour). But no, it doesn't hold up well after playing Witcher and New Vegas.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

See, I get this argument, and arguments like these. But I don't understand how they don't apply to Skyrim as well.

Oh, it does. Skyrim is really bland as well, but it's not as bad as Oblivion. Only one can be "worst". If I had to rank Bethesda RPGS that i have played from worst to best, it would be something like

Oblivion
Skyrim
Morrowind-Fallout 3

Morrowind and Fallout 3 are tied, because FO3 has a lot of quality of life improvements, and while it's gameplay is way less interesting, it's also more immersive.

Generally, these games are boring as poo poo.

edit: Like I would rather play Ubisoft's yearly releases than Bethesda's most of the time. So I guess I'm what's wrong with gaming.

Like I think there's 3 good ascreed games, 2 good farcry games, some good Prince of Persia games, some good Rainbow six games,

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 14, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If somebody would like to have fun with a renegade/paragon heavy RPG it's not a bad idea to get the cheapest SW: TOR subscription and go through all the characters' campaigns in the time it takes for it to run out. The game plays like a single-player title anyway, you get to play through a few KOTORs and it's pretty cool how you can be a saint Sith or the most evil Jedi in existence. Or when you're such an evil Sith that it's mindblowing even to other Siths. There are completely separate stories for every class including Smugglers and Agents. Why that game is an MMO is beyond me honestly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

big article on lionhead here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

this bit is interesting

princess and the frog was actually disney's first big success since lilo & stitch so microsoft wasn't even right on that one. (look at treasure planet, dinosaur, home on the range for actual bombs)

i wish america had cooler boxart :(

As you can imagine, this is super common in the entertainment industry, in marketing especially. It's going to take marketing people getting replaced by younger generations who don't buy into those traditions before it goes away.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

the ff9 elemental fiends were cool and I wish they got to be around longer than they were, like if they had a role more akin to the archfiends from ff4 (who were also v cool)

Like a lot of things in FF9 they were just in there to make you remember other FF games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How's everyone's day going today?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good. I managed to snag Do4m on the cheap and it's pretty alright. Bogged down to hell with standard modern video game incrementally-upgrade-your-everything nonsense but it encourages replayability at least so it's not all bad.

It's fun but don't buy it for 60 buckaroos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

If somebody would like to have fun with a renegade/paragon heavy RPG it's not a bad idea to get the cheapest SW: TOR subscription and go through all the characters' campaigns in the time it takes for it to run out. The game plays like a single-player title anyway, you get to play through a few KOTORs and it's pretty cool how you can be a saint Sith or the most evil Jedi in existence. Or when you're such an evil Sith that it's mindblowing even to other Siths. There are completely separate stories for every class including Smugglers and Agents. Why that game is an MMO is beyond me honestly.

SWTOR is such a mixed experience. I really enjoyed it at launch but once everybody hit max level we burned out, there wasn't enough end game raiding activities. And then it went free to play and started feeling all weird trying to get you to buy this and that in game upgrade since they needed a new revenue stream.

But like you said, each class is its own story and can be played as good or evil regardless of if you're on the sith or republic side, which is really cool. And they did something that no other game has done which I really want to see another game do, which is Mass Effect style conversations but in multiplayer. You actually have situations where the jedi can be like "we should work this out peacefully" and then a smuggler just pulls his gun out and shoots the NPC and its like "welp, guess that's not happening" *laugh track*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat zone of the enders. It was fun until i realized every enemy cant deal with holding up on the stick and spamming b on the controller with phalanx equipped. They just stand there blocking until throw range and the they get thrown. Even the final boss.

The sequel is much better right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat zone of the enders. It was fun until i realized every enemy cant deal with holding up on the stick and spamming b on the controller with phalanx equipped. They just stand there blocking until throw range and the they get thrown. Even the final boss.

The sequel is much better right?

In every conceivable way, yes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

SWTOR is such a mixed experience. I really enjoyed it at launch but once everybody hit max level we burned out, there wasn't enough end game raiding activities. And then it went free to play and started feeling all weird trying to get you to buy this and that in game upgrade since they needed a new revenue stream.

But like you said, each class is its own story and can be played as good or evil regardless of if you're on the sith or republic side, which is really cool. And they did something that no other game has done which I really want to see another game do, which is Mass Effect style conversations but in multiplayer. You actually have situations where the jedi can be like "we should work this out peacefully" and then a smuggler just pulls his gun out and shoots the NPC and its like "welp, guess that's not happening" *laugh track*

Moon Hunters does that as well, and its pretty much the main point of the game. Every time there's an event everybody chooses their own option to change their own characters personality and then the game does a roll to decide which player's choice is the party one. There's also a stat called leadership that allows you to overrule the other party members and decide what happens.

It's a cool game but the epilogues are always broken to poo poo because the game fails to remember who chose what and it will just randomly make up each persons story from the pool of all the choices everybody made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Moon Hunters does that as well, and its pretty much the main point of the game. Every time there's an event everybody chooses their own option to change their own characters personality and then the game does a roll to decide which player's choice is the party one. There's also a stat called leadership that allows you to overrule the other party members and decide what happens.

It's a cool game but the epilogues are always broken to poo poo because the game fails to remember who chose what and it will just randomly make up each persons story from the pool of all the choices everybody made.

I kickstarted that game and played a demo a long time ago when it was unfinished, I really need to go and play it now that its done. Thanks for the reminder!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

How long is Doom anyway?
If the Snapmap server browser were any good, infinite

Unfortunately until they patch it, not so much unless you've got someone on your friends list to pester to play some levels

Yeah I am bitter, imagine if I had spent more than $3 or heard about this earlier than this week.

If you really want a serious answer, there are probably already several Twitch VODs from people who completed it, just pick Doom in the game directory, pick one of the videos at the bottom and check their profile for past broadcasts. It won't be super accurate of course because some people rush and some even just leave their streams open for hours while not even playing

Snak posted:

Some people prefer the blandness. The bits in between places or just loving around finding random caves can be relaxing. It is a lovely series if you're in any type of hurry though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

If the Snapmap server browser were any good, infinite

Unfortunately until they patch it, not so much unless you've got someone on your friends list to pester to play some levels

Yeah I am bitter, imagine if I had spent more than $3 or heard about this earlier than this week.

If you really want a serious answer, there are probably already several Twitch VODs from people who completed it, just pick Doom in the game directory, pick one of the videos at the bottom and check their profile for past broadcasts. It won't be super accurate of course because some people rush and some even just leave their streams open for hours while not even playing

Some people prefer the blandness. The bits in between places or just loving around finding random caves can be relaxing. It is a lovely series if you're in any type of hurry though

Well everything in Oblivion felt really tiny and lovely, compared to Morrowind. It's not about being in a hurry, it's that exploring random caves in Oblivion was like "well, there's a bucket". Or like "you found the one cottage in the forest! Isn't that cool!"

In order for those types of experiences to be engaging, the world has to feel visercal and lived-in, which is the opposite of Oblivion. To me, Fallout 3 was infinitly better in that sense. Yeah, there were parts of the game where you were just looting rooms full of filing cabinets, but many times it felt like you were in a unique little place with it's own story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Like a lot of things in FF9 they were just in there to make you remember other FF games.
It really was a good last hurrah for the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know a guy at work who loves all of Bethesda's RPG's and has hundreds of hours in every single one, that kind of 'you can just gently caress around and do whatever' appeals to some people (a lot of people if sales figures are any indication) even if it's deep as a puddle on a dry spell.

I put like 80 hours into Oblivion but that's why I can't play any of the others now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

It really was a good last hurrah for the series.

FF X-2 is the best one though :confused:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I put like 80 hours into Oblivion but that's why I can't play any of the others now.

Same, I put like 100 into Fallout 3, 40 into New Vegas, 10 into Skyrim and I don't think I'm going to touch anything else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Same, I put like 100 into Fallout 3, 40 into New Vegas, 10 into Skyrim and I don't think I'm going to touch anything else.

Putting New Vegas in that company is hosed up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FF X-2 is the best one though :confused:

ix with a battle system as fast as x-2 would be dope

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when the Bethesda open-world formula was hitting it's stride, it was very exciting. There hand really been games like it before. The problem is that they didn't use it as a stepping-stone to something with more substance. They just kept making a wider puddle.

If I hadn't played Fallout 3, I would play Fallout 4 and probably have a blast sinking 100 hours into it. But not a single thing about it appeals to me because I know it's just more of the same.

And I'm. It upset about any of this. Some people like those games and that's fine. I think it's a shame that Bethesda doesn't push their formula in a more interesting direction, but The Witcher exists, so I have that instead.

I tried starting Deus Ex: Human Revolution again... I hope that Mankind Divided has more modern controls... You can remake HRs controls and they are abysmal. Left trigger to enter cover? No aiming acceleration? And nonlethal weapons are straight-up better than lethal ones. It's really frustrating that enemies will shrug off both barrels of a shotgun, but the tazer will drop them in one hit, has a faster reload time, and gives you bonus XP for being merciful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

ix with a battle system as fast as x-2 would be dope

9 with a combat system faster than snail racing would be dope

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

ff9 is the dark souls 3 of final fantasies

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

Putting New Vegas in that company is hosed up

It may have better writing, but it feels just as empty and lifeless after a play or two.
I think the reason 3, nv, and 4 seem like beths best games is because a post apocalypse setting matches their generally lifeless games.

Imho, Bethesda should try a random generation open world game.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

Imho, Bethesda should try a random generation open world game.

They sort of did 20 years ago. Daggerfall's enormous map is procedurally generated, though to my knowledge (I've never played the thing) it doesn't pick a random seed, so everyone gets the same bland computer-generated world rather than a unique one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

9 with a combat system faster than snail racing would be dope

X's turn based combat system was a lot more approachable than X-2 modified ATB and was probably the better for it. I never could get into X-2's system.

Side question: I liked Saints Row 4 and Just Cause 2 and just generally running around and fulfilling open world objective and looking for collectibles, would dropping $15 for Prototype 1 and 2 be worth the cash? (Sale link)

• Locked thread