Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

Gentoo isn't linux friend. You can run a BSD install of Gentoo or even use the Hurd Kernel.

Gentoo is for Ricers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Gentoo isn't linux friend. You can run a BSD install of Gentoo or even use the Hurd Kernel.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Can we go back to slap fights about doxxing, this is terrible

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, you'll summon Hendrick Talladar again.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

YouTuber posted:

Sure, but why would you?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gb2YOSPOS

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

They're rebranding to just be called "Gentoo" but that will take time.

Marxalot posted:

Sure, but why would you?

Why would you compile all of your applications in 2016? :shrug:

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Why would you compile all of your applications in 2016? :shrug:

No backports of the current version in your distros repo?

To be honest the gentoo model really was the worst kind of awful.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
not even videogames can save this thread now

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The cool chill kids install Slackeware while hitting Besieged Covert sites in a Myrmidon. That's how I convince myself I'm cool. Doesn't work, but I'll keep trying.

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Foehammer007 posted:

not even videogames can save this thread now

He is the true Dear Leader, he can save everything.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Fix Lag posted:

A 15-20% bonus to grappler falloff per level of marauder during bastion would be terrifying. And awesome. Probably a little too awesome.

abigserve posted:

Marauders should either have their hull cost reduced heavily I reckon. With the new carrier changes there's no reason to ever fly them because they are way too immobile to escape hotdrops.

Pretty much agreed. At this point there really isn't a reason to go into Marauders unless you expressly don't want to fly a capital ship. I cannot think of a thing short of lv 4 missions that Carriers cannot do better unless they fixed it so Carriers can enter the gates.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Isn't high sec mission end game pretty much the whole point of Marauders?

They certainly aren't meant for pvp and they are questionable anom ships for null sec.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So we killed a retard NC archon, and a triage fax that their PL slaves jumped in to try to save it. I guess it made PL mad because they then camped the saranen undock for like 2 hours.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JFs are literally unkillable unless the pilot makes a mistake that is pretty easy to not make, fyi

More of the same "these people make the effort to not get ganked! CCP should make it so I can gank anyone I want! Whaa whaa whaa"

You can gank JFs. But you have to try harder than ganking a T1 hauler. And they have to not put forth the effort.

It's not some core issue that is literally killing Eve online. You just can't do anything you want. Sorry if this displeases you.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Can't we just agree that actual doxxing is creepy and weird, and that not a single one of us actually know what 'doxxing' is?

This would singlehandedly improve the next 7 threads ten-fold.

Goatman Sacks posted:

So we killed a retard NC archon, and a triage fax that their PL slaves jumped in to try to save it. I guess it made PL mad because they then camped the saranen undock for like 2 hours.

You really should stop posting about organizations you know nothing about- also- this armchair psychology poo poo is tired af.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Xolve posted:

Can't we just agree that actual doxxing is creepy and weird, and that not a single one of us actually know what 'doxxing' is?

This would singlehandedly improve the next 7 threads ten-fold.

You really should stop posting about organizations you know nothing about- also- this armchair psychology poo poo is tired af.

Or we could throw :10bux: at lowtax for a new word filter "I'M A loving IDIOT" could work, other suggestions welcome. Or we beg VG to probate any poster who even uses the word because I know I'm sick loving death of reading it and the retarded bilious drivel that goes with it every. single. time.

edit: I've been away for a several days, i was quite surprised to see that we've invited the bushido of deklein into goonfleet?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

CainFortea posted:

More of the same "these people make the effort to not get ganked! CCP should make it so I can gank anyone I want! Whaa whaa whaa"

You can gank JFs. But you have to try harder than ganking a T1 hauler. And they have to not put forth the effort.

It's not some core issue that is literally killing Eve online. You just can't do anything you want. Sorry if this displeases you.

The russians have no problem of it. 30+ pilot with positive sec status aligned to the gate and suicide tackle. They are the finger of death and can kill anyone they like.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 14, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Zephyrine posted:

The russians have no problem of it. 30+ pilot with positive sec status aligned to the game and suicide tackle. They are the finger of death and can kill anyone they like.

Are we really at the "CCP please nerf jump freighters to suite the 1% of people that enjoy ganking them, thanks!" portion of this thread already?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Initially it was in PMs/emails to Vyst & Rhymenoserous (whose in-game name I can't remember, I thought it was Smiling Vagrant for a while who I know I poked about it).

I am vagrant. But I'm not Australian. That was treph. But he's also not australian he's a british expat. Also the only thing you've PM'd me (Because I keep em all) about was why you got kicked. No doxing mentioned.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Xolve posted:

Are we really at the "CCP please nerf jump freighters to suite the 1% of people that enjoy ganking them, thanks!" portion of this thread already?

I think JFs are pretty well balanced on the mortality scale. Piloting one still gives you grey hairs but you don't have to replace them very often if you're giving it full attention.

At the same time there are enough people flying jump freighters who only give it 95% attention and they provide the kills that balance things out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

idk i think he might have nailed it this time

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Xolve posted:

Please add more capital ship to suite the 1% of people that enjoy playing them, thanks !

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Krogort posted:

Please add more capital ship to suite the 1% of people that enjoy playing them, thanks !

Right, because Low-Sec, Faction Warfare, Nullsec, Wormholes and L5 Missions Runners are now 1% of the game's population.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

CainFortea posted:

1) jump into highsec system
2) are there more people than normal, and are they gankers? is there a macharial on gate, or a suicide point alt on gate?
3a) jump out in your invuln tick to avoid the incredibly rare suicide point into gank anyway
3b) wait till you're bumped and jump out after the first bump (avoids 99% of gank attempts)
3c) do nothing, fit bulkheads on your anshar and never die anyway with your 1m EHP
4) travel back to jita through the other 5 viable close safe highsec entrances
5) if somehow they are STILL going for you, you can literally dock up and wait an hour. gankers need like 30 accounts to make ganks on JFs happen so you're burning a lot more of their man hours than your own
6) having trouble with someone shooting your cyno? undock in a brick maller and force them to use 10 tornadoes to alpha you

give me a scenario where a JF is ever at risk and i can give you a super mega easy way the JF pilot can completely counter it

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

1) jump into highsec system
2) are there more people than normal, and are they gankers? is there a macharial on gate, or a suicide point alt on gate?
3a) jump out in your invuln tick to avoid the incredibly rare suicide point into gank anyway
3b) wait till you're bumped and jump out after the first bump (avoids 99% of gank attempts)
3c) do nothing, fit bulkheads on your anshar and never die anyway with your 1m EHP
4) travel back to jita through the other 5 viable close safe highsec entrances
5) if somehow they are STILL going for you, you can literally dock up and wait an hour. gankers need like 30 accounts to make ganks on JFs happen so you're burning a lot more of their man hours than your own
6) having trouble with someone shooting your cyno? undock in a brick maller and force them to use 10 tornadoes to alpha you

give me a scenario where a JF is ever at risk and i can give you a super mega easy way the JF pilot can completely counter it

No please don't someone calls her on "are you now talking about things people do regularly or things people theoretically could do" every time she brings these ridiculous convoluted situations up

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Zephyrine posted:

The russians have no problem of it. 30+ pilot with positive sec status aligned to the gate and suicide tackle. They are the finger of death and can kill anyone they like.

That's a fat loving lie and you know it. A JF can cyno out from cloak before an instalocking ship can get point. I've seen it happen, I've had it happen to me. I think you were even there.

But that's what I was talking about when I kept saying "not compelling gameplay." First, you need 30 gankers that are willing to sit and wait for a JF to wander around. Then you need them all positive sec status (12b isk @ 400m each, front loaded or backloaded, idc). Then you need someone who is dumb enough to not notice 30 dudes in system, and 2-3 suicide points on gate. And then you need you need to pray that you actually have enough DPS to kill the thing. Because you can't really scan the JF in lowsec, and scanning it in highsec will tip-off the JF and it has more opportunities to dock, reconsider, take an alternate route; or, you're in Jita and you need even more DPS and you're beholden to Jita mechanics (Jita is not the same as every other 0.9).

Every kill the Russians got was because JF hauling is so safe, people mindlessly do it without even the idea that they could get ganked. And the russians? I'd be surprised if they put up 300b in a month of kills. When MiniLuv is on that real poo poo? 1.1t in a month on our own.

What it comes down to is whether or not you (or CCP) think ganking should be a gimmick form of gameplay, or a sustainable enterprise. I believe the latter makes for a more interesting, if at times more difficult or frustrating, gameplay for everyone.

Edit: I was doing the on-gate suicide point ganks before HABAEPH0 even started ganking freighters, so maybe I know what I'm talking about more than what you've observed? Also globby ilu

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 14, 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
"holy poo poo there are 50 gankers in this system, i'm just gonna jump out and not die"

*jumps out in the invulnerability tick*

:smuggo:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

hi boney you're cute today

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

hi boney you're cute today

thanks bae, feelin cute too with my new top and mani/pedi

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

That's a fat loving lie and you know it. A JF can cyno out from cloak before an instalocking ship can get point. I've seen it happen, I've had it happen to me. I think you were even there.

But that's what I was talking about when I kept saying "not compelling gameplay." First, you need 30 gankers that are willing to sit and wait for a JF to wander around. Then you need them all positive sec status (12b isk @ 400m each, front loaded or backloaded, idc). Then you need someone who is dumb enough to not notice 30 dudes in system, and 2-3 suicide points on gate. And then you need you need to pray that you actually have enough DPS to kill the thing. Because you can't really scan the JF in lowsec, and scanning it in highsec will tip-off the JF and it has more opportunities to dock, reconsider, take an alternate route; or, you're in Jita and you need even more DPS and you're beholden to Jita mechanics (Jita is not the same as every other 0.9).

Every kill the Russians got was because JF hauling is so safe, people mindlessly do it without even the idea that they could get ganked. And the russians? I'd be surprised if they put up 300b in a month of kills. When MiniLuv is on that real poo poo? 1.1t in a month on our own.

What it comes down to is whether or not you (or CCP) think ganking should be a gimmick form of gameplay, or a sustainable enterprise. I believe the latter makes for a more interesting, if at times more difficult or frustrating, gameplay for everyone.

Edit: I was doing the on-gate suicide point ganks before HABAEPH0 even started ganking freighters, so maybe I know what I'm talking about more than what you've observed? Also globby ilu

Yes a Jump freighter *can* jump out after checking local before aligning. But there are enough people who would start aligning anyway to provide kills.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Yes a Jump freighter *can* jump out after checking local before aligning. But there are enough people who would start aligning anyway to provide kills.

Balancing is (should be) based around extremes, not averages. If we aggressively started suicide point on gate ganking, how would that affect the meta? People would simply start cynoing from invuln whenever they saw blackbirds or whatever on gate. And then where are we? The same place I've been saying we are. It's also a testament to the safety of JFs by the fact that we routinely see people multiboxing 2-6 JFs.

Additionally, by your logic, since there are idiots who don't do that, freighters don't need more buffs because there are enough idiots who don't use scouts, webbers, warp-out perches, etc.

Like, the only realistic argument for JFs being as untouchable as they are is that it is that having logistics be difficult, dangerous and frustrating is poor for the overall health of the game. We can settle that as a differences of opinion thing. But there are ways that ganking could be nerfed that would still allow it to be a viable enterprise / strategic undertaking / genuinely fun and interesting content while giving more options to freighters and JFs on how to avoid dying.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Xolve posted:

You say this, yet it clearly rustles you.

slave.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

lol JFs are fair and balanced because people don't even have to use every tool for survival at their disposal in order to not get ganked.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The fact that people undock T1 freighters at all proves that you can play whack-a-mole with them to infinity and the meta will still provide.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

The fact that people undock T1 freighters at all proves that you can play whack-a-mole with them to infinity and the meta will still provide.

Except now the game of whack a mole will only have one hole. Also, hostile entities, the kind that own sov (lol), rarely use t1 freighters. Only John Q Publord hauling a his belongings from Jita to Rens to make a new life in his new highsec mission Corp.

E: and that meta that provides? It already shifted to bulkheads.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 14, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

You say this, yet it clearly rustles you.

slave.

"umad?!"

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
space trucking is loving boring and having a 1 in X chance your 7b ship dies without you being able to do a thing about it makes it far, far worse. no one is going to do that poo poo anymore if it comes to that. I get that highsec ganking is amazing amounts of fun for some but for most people in eve transporting poo poo is a loving chore and they just want to get it done with as little fuss as possible. the only counter play involved in suicide ganking currently is not exposing yourself to gankers which isn't exactly engaging gameplay for either party. I'm all for letting freighters getting caught and dying, as long as they have a way of surviving or the attacker eating poo poo if they play it right. unfortunately I don't think ccp is going to spend a lot of time on the highsec ganking minigame to balance that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

yes, and instead of giving any opportunity to gankers just make JFs immune to ganking barring user error

• Locked thread