Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It kinda makes sense to do a wedding derail of sorts for the sake of seasonality given it's wedding season currently. It's no more or less appropriate than talking about gifts during the last quarter of the year. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Not seeing how wedding chat could possibly be considered a derail in the Bad With Money thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a coworker who absolute seems to think a brand new ring is the most important thing ever. She wanted something super fancy pants and I was like "well why not look at estate jewelry and pay like 70% less?" and she was like NO IT MUST BE NEW.

gently caress the wedding industry

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hi, I have to pay for two weddings because my bride to be is from literally the other side of the earth. BWL.

I want to go cheap here because I couldn't care less about the pageantry, and neither does my family, but I'll go all out for her family if she wants.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

slap me silly posted:

Not seeing how wedding chat could possibly be considered a derail in the Bad With Money thread.

Wedding chat itself isn't a derail, it's the humblebraggers.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Are the humblebraggers the ones talking about how little they spent or how much they spent or how they spent exactly the correct amount? Is it possible to talk about your wedding without it being a humblebrag? I don't even know anymore.

Is this thread full of rich people hating on poor people for spending money they don't have and inevitably relying on social systems? Or is it full of poor people hating on rich people for spending money on frivolous things? Both?

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
wait til you see how little they spent on the divorce!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

As an aspiring actuary, I vote we go back to talking about how the SOA is loving everyone over. Need to know how much of a mistake I've made in my career choices thus far :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

potatoducks posted:

Are the humblebraggers the ones talking about how little they spent or how much they spent or how they spent exactly the correct amount? Is it possible to talk about your wedding without it being a humblebrag? I don't even know anymore.

Is this thread full of rich people hating on poor people for spending money they don't have and inevitably relying on social systems? Or is it full of poor people hating on rich people for spending money on frivolous things? Both?

No, the worst humblebraggers are the ones who talk about how their family "forced them" to spend a huge sum of money on the wedding but they're rich enough that it didn't matter.

Here's something completely different (and great!) from reddit.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4hwrb8/the_consequences_of_bailing_on_court_date/

quote:

Here's the briefest version of my story. I'm 18 at the start, these are my first and only offenses:
June 2014: Searched, grinder confiscated and given a court date in North Carolina September: Apply and get court appointed lawyer, court date moved October: Court dates mixed up, official documents given to my lawyer and I listed us for the 20th, court says date was the 2nd. Moved again.
January 2015: Ticket for underage drinking. February: Pay off drinking ticket ($200), then lawyer gets that case reopened so he can put the two together and I can get into the first offenders program. Money is never returned to me. Court date moved. March: Accepted into first offenders program, given a year to complete 50 hours of community service and 50 hours of drugs classes.
Since all of this I have moved to a different state. This makes it impossible to do the drug classes, they are located in that state. The community service has taken a back seat to other priorities in my life. The deadline to complete both was April 15th, so I called my lawyer to see if he could buy me some time. Not only did I not have any hours done, it was impossible to travel there.
Now I have a week to get a few hours done, fax them to my lawyer, and get it moved again. I'm wondering what the consequences of not doing anything would be. What kind of warrant would be issued? Are there other sentences I could try for (pay a fine/jail) or were these my only options?

quote:

Except it's not bullshit. Paper specifically says Southlight which is located in downtown Raleigh. I'm not doing 50 hours of drug classes which cost around $700 over a grinder. The cop who gave me the ticket even said they'd probably throw the case out.

"I got a slap on the wrist for babby's first drug offense, but I don't want to pay $700 for some drug classes to have it disappear forever! Instead, I'll let it turn into a bigger problem for me as a matter of principle!"

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

froglet posted:

Cringing so hard right now, I've entered fuckin' bizarro land. I don't want a wedding but my parents do, so they've suggested some venues, told me to pick one and they'll pay and organise the rest except where my direct input is required (like a dress).i

I don't even know what's GWM or BWM anymore.

If someone's offering to throw you a free wedding and can't be convinced to give you the cash instead, you might as well enjoy a party with your friends and family. Not really BWM on your part and, assuming your parents can afford it, not really BWM for them either.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paperchaseguy posted:

wait til you see how little they spent on the divorce!

I made a profit on my divorce :smugdon:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I got married in the Wappoo Creek branch of Wells Fargo by the banker, and people took photos of us and then I deposited our marriage gifts to my account.

GWM and I'm not kidding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

slap me silly posted:

Vahakyla posted:

I got married in the Wappoo Creek branch of Wells Fargo by the banker, and people took photos of us and then I deposited our marriage gifts to my account.

GWM and I'm not kidding.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
B(est)WM: Never getting married.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

canyoneer posted:

Here's something completely different (and great!) from reddit.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4hwrb8/the_consequences_of_bailing_on_court_date/

"I got a slap on the wrist for babby's first drug offense, but I don't want to pay $700 for some drug classes to have it disappear forever! Instead, I'll let it turn into a bigger problem for me as a matter of principle!"

I must be old andout of touch, because I only knew a grinder to be a sandwich, an actual like meat grinder / spice grinder, that gay-Tinder phone app, or a sweet Judas Priest song.

Is this something to grind up marijuana plant parts, or something? I doubt the cops would take his sandwich unless they were particularly heartless...

Edit: forgot about the shop tools, e.g. a grinding wheel

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 15, 2016

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

SpelledBackwards posted:

I must be old andout of touch, because I only knew a grinder to be a sandwich, an actual like meat grinder / spice grinder, that gay-Tinder phone app, or a sweet Judas Priest song.

Is this something to grind up marijuana plant parts, or something? I doubt the cops would take his sandwich unless they were particularly heartless...

I had to look this up too. Apparently you put weed in it and grind it up finer so that it burns more evenly and fits into a joint better.

You pot smokers and your accessories. So BWM.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SpelledBackwards posted:

something to grind up marijuana plant parts

I've seen a number of these, but never owned one. Clearly I surround myself with a certain type of people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4isdfo/had_my_truck_repossessed_with_suspension_kit_i/ posted:

Had my truck repossessed with suspension kit I installed, stereo I installed, and tires and wheels I installed. (self.personalfinance)

Wondering any legal routes I might be able to take to get just that stuff back at the very least. If this isn't the right place to post this, please direct me to somewhere I can. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It gets better when they post over in /r/legaladvice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4isfdi/had_my_truck_repossessed_with_suspension_kit_i/ posted:

The bills were paid. I ran out of money. Had a ton, bought a house, flipped it, was just waiting for the house to sell. It didn't.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

potatoducks posted:

This thread is mostly poor single men who flunked out of college due to a WoW addiction and now work retail, trying to convince themselves that ramen for food, WoW as the sole source of entertainment, and a rusted out Civic are good with money instead of bad with life.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Apparently I am more urban and Californian than I thought since I really believed grinders would be as recognizable as weed paraphernalia as a bong would be, even to internet nerds.

Haifisch posted:

It gets better when they post over in /r/legaladvice:

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4isfdi/had_my_truck_repossessed_with_suspension_kit_i/ posted:
The bills were paid. I ran out of money. Had a ton, bought a house, flipped it, was just waiting for the house to sell. It did

I find this bit of schadenfreude as sweet as it possibly can be. Do never flip a house when you're broke and stupid.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

High Lord Elbow posted:

This thread is mostly poor single men who flunked out of college due to a WoW addiction and now work retail, trying to convince themselves that ramen for food, WoW as the sole source of entertainment, and a rusted out Civic are good with money instead of bad with life.

No I think most people in this thread are doing alright. You're thinking of the retail workers thread in this sub forum, which as I've mentioned before is sort of like a petting zoo version of this thread, filled with the kind of people described in your post.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

High Lord Elbow posted:

So so close, except IT instead of retail, World of Warships instead of Warcraft, and a very nice rust free '99 Civic thank you very much.

I love that people overspend on weddings because going to baller parties is fun. Far better use of money than a sportscar or horse that only one person gets to enjoy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

Apparently I am more urban and Californian than I thought since I really believed grinders would be as recognizable as weed paraphernalia as a bong would be, even to internet nerds.

I was a pothead in college so I know all about them, but my mom was a pothead hippie when she was in college in the 60's and she had no idea what they were because they would just shred it by hand :shrug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My coworker, who bitches every day about his job and complains that he doesn't want to work anymore, has never contributed a cent to his company matched 401k.

He's in his mid 30s.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Renegret posted:

My coworker, who bitches every day about his job and complains that he doesn't want to work anymore"

Isn't that everybody, with the exception of workaholic yuppies and the self employed?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Isn't that everybody, with the exception of workaholic yuppies and the self employed?

Well, yeah

But the difference is I contribute to my 401k so I can make that dream a reality some day

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

My coworker, who bitches every day about his job and complains that he doesn't want to work anymore, has never contributed a cent to his company matched 401k.

He's in his mid 30s.

If work is that bad he really should just start his own business and then work even more. No time for complaining then.

Some people I talked to last week have stopped their retirement savings but they have more pressing essential needs for their money such as debt reduction, and putting money away to help their kids. Seems to be a common theme that people's kids are eroding their retirement lifestyle.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Devian666 posted:

Seems to be a common theme that people's kids are eroding their retirement lifestyle.

Have you seen the prices of college lately? Plus little Timmy absolutely needs a very expensive musical instrument at the age of 4 because he'll be the next prodigy. And then the cost of therapy for your poor kid who is overworked and overstressed out about his helicopter parents...

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

daggerdragon posted:

Have you seen the prices of college lately? Plus little Timmy absolutely needs a very expensive musical instrument at the age of 4 because he'll be the next prodigy. And then the cost of therapy for your poor kid who is overworked and overstressed out about his helicopter parents...
The funny thing is that most younger kids these days seem to have more spending money and gadgets than myself and my childhood friends had growing up. I don't know if the typical parent is making more money, or making more BWM decisions, but I can't remember a time where kids had so much parent-gifted money to spend on junk. The next generation of parents seem to enjoy throwing money at their children.

I just picked up a young cousin from a birthday party, and there were retail gift cards inside of it. Apparently this is becoming more and more common as chaperoning parents compete with each other to buy little Timmy some new friends. Also- each of the three kids who lived at that house each have their own iPad. And this family isn't filthy rich, or anything.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I didn't have a whole lot when I was a kid as we didn't have a lot of money. Most of the money went on living. It's not so much that parents are necessarily spending more on their kids as a lot of things are cheaper in real terms. Although mobile gadgets didn't exist on the scale or cost that exists today, and it was a lot more difficult to get loans.

Parents aren't earning more, they are just spending more.

SixNineSoFine
Jan 21, 2013
Re: Tesla and tax fraud chat

I'm no tax expert, so correct me if I am wrong. But the IRS frowns upon claiming more withholding allowances than you are entitled to. If IRS publication 505 is anything to go by.

IRS Publication 505 posted:

Penalties

You may have to pay a penalty of $500 if both of the following apply.

• You make statements or claim withholding allowances on your Form W-4 that reduce the amount of tax withheld.

• You have no reasonable basis for those statements or allowances at the time you prepare your Form W-4.

There is also a criminal penalty for willfully supplying false or fraudulent information on your Form W-4 or for willfully failing to supply information that would increase the amount withheld. The penalty upon conviction can be either a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment for up to 1 year, or both.

These penalties will apply if you deliberately and knowingly falsify your Form W-4 in an attempt to reduce or eliminate the proper withholding of taxes. A simple error or an honest mistake will not result in one of these penalties. For example, a person who has tried to figure the number of withholding allowances correctly, but claims seven when the proper number is six, will not be charged a Form W-4 penalty. However, see chapter 4 for information on the penalty for underpaying your tax.

I suppose if you truly expect to have all your withholding refunded and indeed had it all refunded last year you should write "Exempt" on line 7 of your W-4. Not write a eyebrow raising number under allowances.

BWM: Jail time + fine for "willfully failing to supply information that would increase the amount withheld". For a Tesla no less.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Devian666 posted:

I didn't have a whole lot when I was a kid as we didn't have a lot of money. Most of the money went on living. It's not so much that parents are necessarily spending more on their kids as a lot of things are cheaper in real terms. Although mobile gadgets didn't exist on the scale or cost that exists today, and it was a lot more difficult to get loans.

Parents aren't earning more, they are just spending more.

Yeah I used to think Kids These Days were spoiled by comparison until I remembered that when I was a kid computers cost $3000 each and cell phones were for high-powered business jerks to buy and sell stocks with :shrug:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I used to think Kids These Days were spoiled by comparison until I remembered that when I was a kid computers cost $3000 each and cell phones were for high-powered business jerks to buy and sell stocks with :shrug:

My first computer cost $400 (over $1200 in today's money). It had a green screen monitor and a tape deck for storage. Five years later I knew people who got $3000 cell phone bills and decided to cancel. We're all better off for technology and it's a lot cheaper.

Now computers or ipads are expected for a lot of schools. Recent stories have parents that are struggling to pay $11.5 a week so their child can have a school provided laptop. Kids are BWM.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

melon cat posted:

Also- each of the three kids who lived at that house each have their own iPad. And this family isn't filthy rich, or anything.

On the other hand, the original Macintosh base model cost $2,495 in 1984 dollars or about $5,700 in 2016 dollars. A modest size color television and an original Atari 2600 console cost about $1200 in 1977 or $4700 in 2016 plus games. Technology has gotten so much less expensive and more accessible since you were a child that a family spending $1000 or whatever to give their three children their own retinal display wireless space gizmos to play with is just a slightly obnoxious luxury to you.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I encourage anyone who likes kids but is discouraged at the costs to consider fostering a child who needs a loving home :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

I encourage anyone who likes kids but is discouraged at the costs to consider fostering a child who needs a loving home :shobon:

Psh why would I want to get a used one though :colbert:

(Real actual sentiment I've gotten from a lot of people who balk at the idea of adopting or foster-care-ing)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well I'm glad to see it's actually a crime to commit tax fraud. Thank you for posting the irs comment!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Psh why would I want to get a used one though :colbert:

(Real actual sentiment I've gotten from a lot of people who balk at the idea of adopting or foster-care-ing)

"If I wanted secondhand goods, I'd go to a pawnshop." :smuggo:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"If I wanted secondhand goods, I'd go to a pawnshop." :smuggo:

I mean secondhand children (a phrase that pained me to write) really are a thrifty alternative since they can come to you already school aged with no daycare needs, and the state provides a stipend for their care and adoption assistance if you adopt.

I just like to remind people that adoption doesn't have to be thousands upon thousands of dollars and I run into people every day who believe that they wouldn't qualify as a foster parent because they are single, male, gay, full time employed, etc. Not true at all!

Kids are great and worth the money though. Just don't buy them retina iPads when they are toddlers :cripes: My 16 year old just destroyed her hand me down iPhone 5C and I'm always stunned to see her classmates with brand new iPhones gouged and bashed to bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

On that topic, adopt your pets from shelters if possible. My mom has always adopted and they are great doges, however the two she has now look at me like I'm a jerk though when I'm home and sleep in my (their) room/bed. The neighbor across the street just got another puppy from the same breeder as their last dog who needed 2 new ACLs when it was in its teens. It is a beautiful and well behaved golden retriever, but I doubt it was cheap.

Shelter dogs, GWM.

• Locked thread