Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

would it kill them to just use 5 different variations of a new chip in the product stack instead of the entire chip library dating circa 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

~the SeCrEts of PaScAl~ http://vrworld.com/2016/05/10/pascal-secrets-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

:lol: garbage article.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

would it kill them to just use 5 different variations of a new chip in the product stack instead of the entire chip library dating circa 2011

lovely hypothesis: the M400 series is a way to get rid of the very last of their 28nm chip stock (Grenada excluded), maybe even most of the tuned Fury cards (retired into either Pro Duo or M495X), and is exclusively a mobile line up; let Grenada go on super firesale. The 500 and M500 series are Polaris/Vega. Possible supporting evidence is HXCF for Bristol Ridge?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:lol: garbage article.

quote:

By Theo Valich

Focused on creating synergy between various industries, creating next-gen solutions. Passionate about the new and emerging technologies.

Specialties: Team Leadership / Management / Technical Consultant / Funding.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

https://youtu.be/Ix2cvYQPpQM

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SlayVus posted:

That just doesn't make sense to me. NDA the date the NDA gets lifted.

1080 is going to perform high enough that it's just positioned relative to that top performance slot that warrants its price. 1070 has the potential to be a lot closer to polaris 10, so keeping the clocks and stuff in flux so they can tune them where they need to be to beat it is more important.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

lovely hypothesis: the M400 series is a way to get rid of the very last of their 28nm chip stock (Grenada excluded), maybe even most of the tuned Fury cards (retired into either Pro Duo or M495X), and is exclusively a mobile line up; let Grenada go on super firesale. The 500 and M500 series are Polaris/Vega. Possible supporting evidence is HXCF for Bristol Ridge?

The other way around would be saner, use all the Polatis 11 chips on mobile and stick with rebrands for low end desktop cards because they're low margins as is and no one gives a gently caress anyways.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

If that has any chance of happening again, I am ok with waiting till the end of the year for a Ti that literally curbstomps the 1080 with sheer performance for $200

But then Volta comes out soon after and then that'll be better but then AMD might have something which might be better and

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
There won't be anything new on the very high end until 2018 or so and 2017 is only a little more than 6 months away. On top of that AMD might've pulled forward Vega to this Oct. Waiting over a year is fairly silly but waiting 5-6 months or so isn't a terrible idea. Particularly if you already have a high or mid range card and want a big jump in performance to last you a while.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OC3D thinks there's going to be a watercooled 1080 clocked at 2.5ghz :flashfap:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

lol. They are sourcing a guy on their forums, who sourced this, who are sourcing wccftech, who were just sourcing that crazy "secrets of pascal" article I posted earlier

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So much misinformation jesus
This NDA's expiry cant come soon enough.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

lol. They are sourcing a guy on their forums, who sourced this, who are sourcing wccftech, who were just sourcing that crazy "secrets of pascal" article I posted earlier

oh, lol :saddowns:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The ouroboros of garbage journalism is complete

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD releases experimental AMDGPU driver for GCN1

Thought some good news would be in order. This is in combination with a fairly massive update in general for their linux drivers, as well as adding OverDrive support.

That and them working furiously to get Vulkan up and running for all GCN versions makes me hopeful. It's kind of too bad VLIW will be forgotten, but I get it they're old and it's a large enough workload to get everything done for GCN let alone another µarch.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
but why hasnt amd released a video graphics cards yet

this is reporter for GPU megathread news reporting, asking the hard hitting questions nobody dares to ask

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I wonder if we could go to an expo or something and say we're here on behalf of Serious Hardware/Software Crap, and get press passes.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Maybe SHSC should start doing benchmarks and reviews, with the usual goon autism, insufferableness and snark.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Maybe SHSC should start doing benchmarks and reviews, with the usual goon autism, insufferableness and snark.

Gonna be honest, it'd be above a decent amount of places. I'd do it. Granted part of the reason I'd do it is to have somebody other than Computerbase.de doing 3440x1440 benches.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been thinking. Apart from the Furies, which were bad for various reasons, this is going to be AMD's first new GPU launch in like 6 years, where all the stock isn't going to get sucked into the black hole that is cryptocurrency mining.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

What makes you think P10 and P11 won't also all be bought by butters for mining new idiotic flavors of cryptomonopoly money

After all, you can put more of them in a PC without having to buy a bigger powersupply :byodood:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, they're still doing that? I thought GPU mining was over. Why did I buy an nvidia :cripes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's fine, it's not anywhere near as profitable as it used to be plus it's been largely discredited by anyone with actual assets now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

As soon as Polaris launches there's going to be a new bitcoin, you'll see! IT'LL MAKE US RICH.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deleted Tweet from LinusTechTips: "Durr.. Just got a memo from NVIDIA that you can get a software key of some sort to unlock 3way and 4way SLI on 1080!"

Can we not go down that road Nvidia? :stare:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

repiv posted:

Deleted Tweet from LinusTechTips: "Durr.. Just got a memo from NVIDIA that you can get a software key of some sort to unlock 3way and 4way SLI on 1080!"

Can we not go down that road Nvidia? :stare:

What do you mean?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think maybe they mean the 980Ti DLC Edition road.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I think maybe they mean the 980Ti DLC Edition road.

Exactly. He doesn't say they're charging for the unlock key, but if it's free then what's the point of locking it in the first place?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

repiv posted:

Exactly. He doesn't say they're charging for the unlock key, but if it's free then what's the point of locking it in the first place?

I figured that they don't have 3 way and 4 way SLI working the way they want yet so it's software locked. They would tell the press this so that people stop spreading the "1080 can only do 2-way SLI!" rumor, the 1080/1070 might not have it at launch but the hardware can do it once Nvidia gets it working properly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I hope your guess is right. Would hate to see consumer products adopt the madness of the test instrument industry, where you can buy a product with a colour LCD but have it display in solid green unless you buy a loving licence code :suicide:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Really, if they needed more bandwidth for SLI, why not increase the contact density and/or size of the fingers? Because as it is now, 26 contacts don't have enough bandwidth for SLI. So now you can use 52 contacts on the 1080, but limit expandability.

Comedy option - Use displayport as a SLI interconnect. One SLI finger does 1GByte/s, DP1.3 does 3.24GByte/s after overhead.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 14, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Comedy option - Use displayport as a SLI interconnect. One SLI finger does 1GByte/s, DP1.3 does 3.24GByte/s after overhead.

The bidirectional data channel is only 720Mbit/s sadly, and half-duplex. It would be hilarious to see Nvidia resort to the same kludge ATi used to rush first gen Crossfire to market though.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

Kind of leaves the door open on 2017 custom 1080s that perform noticeably better using 2 8 pin connectors and 14Ghz GDDR5X.

This, except it will be called 1080Ti :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a really fun idea. They could go through the PCIe bus like sane people rather than just doubling the inadequate SLI finger connection.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

but then they'd have to pay amd and intel licensing fees :saddowns:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, is that seriously why they keep doing SLI through fingers? o.o

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

froody guy posted:

This, except it will be called 1080Ti :v:

I guess there is precedent for a GX104 chip to be considered flagship so that's really not outside possibility. But rather than a 1080ti, just the new Titan (G? X2? Y? K? P?) or something, 900$.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

Titan (G? X2? Y? K? P?)

My money is on "Titan 10".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Subjunctive posted:

My money is on "Titan 10".

Or they move to other colors on ROYGBIV plus White. Somehow I think they'd skip the Titan Red, though.