Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

That70sHeidi posted:

Still tired of Misha's poo poo acting, want it to go back to just Sam and Dean and monsters.

Seriously? If anyone's a poo poo actor it's Sam/Dean.

More foreign monsters would be ok, but there still needs to be some bigger plot/threat or the show will just be silly. They have an angel on their side, weapons that can kill pretty much anything, God watching their backs and saving them when they screw up, etc. A chupacabra isn't going to pose any problem to them. If they somehow took it back to season 1 mode where they were skating by on mostly luck it would seem incredibly contrived and you'd have to pretend the previous ~7 seasons never happened. Keep the monster of the week stuff as filler like they are doing now, because I can't see it working any other way. And please, no aliens. It would be funny but the bad kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Even with an all powerful angel there was always a reason Castiel couldn't actually help them like 90% of the time. I'm sure there'll be a reason God himself is unable to do anything most weeks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Misha has been a major part of the show since season 4. He has been part of the show for 7 years counting at this point, and a huge fan favorite so he is found nowhere

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Basically they need to have God shut off all the Angels. Just make Heaven completely unaccesable to Earth. One way trip for the dead only. Probably same thing for the demons and Hell. It would be good to somehow find a way to keep Cas and Crowley, though I'd sacrifice either or both for a new lease on the show. Also void most of the lore and get rid of the spells, demon circles, wards, and one shot angel blades. The writers need to rewatch Season 1 and see what made the show interesting then, and riff off of that in a new direction instead of the one they went into--and they need to burn the boats so there is no going back. No "this season's plot is about bringing back Heaven/Hell/Whatever!" :haw: Then you have a cool new show, basically in a new universe, with monsters, Sam, Dean, and the Impala.

This is the best opportunity they have to do this. If they don't, they never will. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be very, very tough for the new showrunners to jettison the lore and continuity though, so next season will be either jumping through hoops to contrive a newer, somehow bigger bad, or a meandering season where nothing happens but brother drama.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Astroman posted:

Basically they need to have God shut off all the Angels. Just make Heaven completely unaccesable to Earth. One way trip for the dead only. Probably same thing for the demons and Hell.

They did this plot. It was Seasons 8 and 9 I believe. It wasn't very good. Your other ideas aren't either.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Season 1 was good but 2-5 were better. It makes no sense to go back to the season where they were still figuring things out and getting their footing. You can't get rid of all the spells/lore/etc without it being incredibly contrived. If you want that, start a whole new show. I don't think any show in history has ever, in their 12th year, just said "forget about the last decade, that was terrible but watch this please". It's far too late for such a drastic shift.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone read seasons 8, 9 and 10 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? It's been a fairly effective reboot after the show ended with all the Slayers ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

To be fair, destruction isn't his sphere of influence. He's a Creator god, his sister is the force for destruction. His go to solution seems to be locking things in cages. Sister is trouble, so stick her in a cage. Leviathans are trouble, so stick them in a cage. Lucifer is getting uppity, so stick him in a cage. That one angel failed to do his job in the garden of eden, stick him in a cage too. Monster souls don't fit in either heaven or hell? Stick 'em in a cage.

Matter can not be created or destroyed, it can only change (in a cage).

This doesn't really line up with the Flood, though. Unless we're assuming that the Old Testament is almost entirely made up in this continuity.

bull3964 posted:

If I get caught in some sort of Final Destination thing where I somehow can't escape dinner,

I just have to say what an amusing mental picture this makes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

This doesn't really line up with the Flood, though. Unless we're assuming that the Old Testament is almost entirely made up in this continuity.

The Flood is something Chuck did, Metatron stated so. The difference is that he only flooded after the ark was built, ensuring life could start anew.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

I just have to say what an amusing mental picture this makes.

The flood is a Creator Spirit trying it's best to Mcgyver destruction. The great flood involved Chuck creating (or moving) a bunch of water. This caused a bunch of people (plants, animals, bacteria, and fungi) to drown, but didn't technically destroy anything. All the souls were fine, some may even have made it to heaven. (Despite what the ancient Jews thought the great flood probably didn't cover the whole planet, it just covered the "known world" of those people he was angry with at the time. That allows both the flood myth and scientific lack of evidence for a worldwide extinction event a few thousand years ago to be true within the Supernatural universe.)

So, yeah, once monsters existed it could be within Chucks sphere of influence to teleport them all to the bottom of the Marianas Trench, or into a volcano, the sun, or even another planet without actually destroying them. He also could have gotten rid of all the large land predators that endanger humans this way -- though given enough time we've driven most of them to extinction ourselves, and the ones that remain mostly don't bother healthy adult humans. Maybe he wanted us to solve the monster problem ourselves?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Okay, but what about the numerous times he's destroyed things by fire, or the whole "angel of death" thing that was the impetus for Passover, or sending bears to murder children who made fun of a dude's bald head, or a bunch of other Old Testament things I can't remember offhand... I don't get how all those things are totally within the realm of Things God Would Do, but turning a person into salt is where we draw the line.
I realize the absurdity of the context we're arguing here, but since it's a question of internal consistency, I can't really get behind the whole "God in the Supernatural universe is incapable of destroying" assertion unless we're going with a very narrow Amara style "literally erased from existence" definition of "destruction" here.

I also kind of agree with Tiggum re: the whole heaven vs. purgatory thing, like if I get bitten by a vampire and turned into a monster I think I'm gonna be kinda pissed that I have to go to Monster Murder Heaven instead of Regular Eternal Bliss Heaven and arguing that you won't care anymore because you'll be a monster now is kind of a lovely and absurd copout. Then again I think we're giving them way too much credit here by assuming any of this ever was or ever will be thought about considering they've tripped over their own mythology several times, so it's not something I really care about as long as the plot doesn't go full-nonsense instead of just mostly-nonsense.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 15, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apparently all monsters go to Purgatory no matter what so I'd rank the afterlife choices as Heaven > Purgatory >>>>>>>>>> Hell (>)x100 The Cage. Purgatory honestly seems pretty great, you can rock out with your cock out forever and nobody will metaphysically tut-tut you for breaking bad on the way.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

raditts posted:

I also kind of agree with Tiggum re: the whole heaven vs. purgatory thing, like if I get bitten by a vampire and turned into a monster I think I'm gonna be kinda pissed that I have to go to Monster Murder Heaven instead of Regular Eternal Bliss Heaven and arguing that you won't care anymore because you'll be a monster now is kind of a lovely and absurd copout.

Not really, since multiple times we've seen people get turned into monsters and end up liking it. It'd be absurd to think that being turned into a monster wouldn't change the way you think. Would a vampire be happy in regular heaven constantly craving blood and not being allowed to have it? I doubt it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, there's been like, 2 monsters on the show that didn't eat people. One was the vamp chick from buffy that eventually started eating people after Eve drove her nuts (and Cas smited the gently caress outta her), and that brain eating lady that saved Sam as a kid. She still killed people, but she killed bad guys, so even then it's not like she can exist without it ending up with some dead bodies.

Basically, if you are bitten or changed into whatever, you are hosed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Would a vampire be happy in regular heaven constantly craving blood and not being allowed to have it? I doubt it.
Why would they still be a vampire though?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, there's been like, 2 monsters on the show that didn't eat people. One was the vamp chick from buffy that eventually started eating people after Eve drove her nuts (and Cas smited the gently caress outta her), and that brain eating lady that saved Sam as a kid. She still killed people, but she killed bad guys, so even then it's not like she can exist without it ending up with some dead bodies.
There's all Garth's werewolf friends, and I remember a group of vampires who didn't kill people as well. I'm sure there have been other examples from time to time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Why would they still be a vampire though?

There's all Garth's werewolf friends, and I remember a group of vampires who didn't kill people as well. I'm sure there have been other examples from time to time.

Presumably being a vampire/werewolf/whatever does something permanent to your soul. If you could just pluck the human soul out of a dead monster and have it be no different from a regular human, there would be no reason to have purgatory in the first place.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That was the way Benny escaped from Purgatory, right? Hitching his soul to Dean as he made his way out? When he got brought back to life it was as a vampire, so yeah that holds water. It's not just your body, but your soul becomes a monster soul. Forever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Presumably being a vampire/werewolf/whatever does something permanent to your soul. If you could just pluck the human soul out of a dead monster and have it be no different from a regular human, there would be no reason to have purgatory in the first place.

That's kind of the point. Why is it this irreversible process? Why is it even a thing to begin with?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Because God said so. Sometimes horrible things happen to relatively decent people and that's just how it is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That's kind of the point. Why is it this irreversible process? Why is it even a thing to begin with?

Because God's a dick. I think they've made that point abundantly clear since they started talking about God in this show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Or even worse, Humanity Isn't That Special, Sorry Humanity.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Before God bites it, I really wish they would use this chance to go back and tidy up some of the show Creation mythology that has come out over the years. If only to somehow make sense of some of the names they have used for the villains.

We had Lilith as a weird white smoke demon and Eve as the mother of all monsters who apparently existed before the angels.

Something like God created his son (who would later be Jesus), and Amara created Eve in response. Throw Lilith in as an alternate mother figure who was then created alongside Adam. She was corrupted and then turned into the first demon by Lucifer.

The above works and may be what the show intends, but it has never come out and tied those things together.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

That was the way Benny escaped from Purgatory, right? Hitching his soul to Dean as he made his way out? When he got brought back to life it was as a vampire, so yeah that holds water. It's not just your body, but your soul becomes a monster soul. Forever.

That's really loving stupid, but considering that the Supernatural universe rules amount to "whatever we want them to be at the time" I don't feel like it's really worth the deep analysis.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tiggum posted:

Technically vampire stuff is reversible. We saw that. Who knows if the rest is, they don't ever try.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Technically vampire stuff is reversible. We saw that. Who knows if the rest is, they don't ever try.

So far we've seen that Vampires and Demons can be cured.

What happens to an Angel when they die? Or a Demon? Do they just *poof* and our annihilated from existence forever?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, yea.

Angels don't have souls, and Demons are literally human souls that have been twisted and tortured into being demons.

Angels get axed and poof they go. Demons get exorcised and go back to hell, but if there's a demon killing thing (like the bomb things Kevin made or the knife) it basically just goes poof. I'd imagine the orange glowy effect is something along the lines of the demon bursting into flame inside the meat suit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well, yea.

Angels don't have souls, and Demons are literally human souls that have been twisted and tortured into being demons.

Angels get axed and poof they go. Demons get exorcised and go back to hell, but if there's a demon killing thing (like the bomb things Kevin made or the knife) it basically just goes poof. I'd imagine the orange glowy effect is something along the lines of the demon bursting into flame inside the meat suit.

That's how I understand it too.

Except . . . when Metatron took Castiel's grace didn't he say something about Cas living a human life and then going to heaven when he died? That implies that if you take the grace away from an angel you have a bog standard human with a human soul, which doesn't seem right. Then again Metatron is a dick, and not half as smart as he thinks he is, so I wouldn't take his words as canon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I always assumed it was "You are a human now, and your grace is gone and you'll age and whatnot and one day die and maybe come up here and tell me all about it!" more than a "Oh yea you have a soul now that we yanked all that pesky angel juice outta you!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A soul is just another internal organ, like a pancreas or liver.

Once the offending condition is removed, it grows back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well, yea.

Demons go back to hell if exorcised, but Angel Blades kill everything dead. Do not pass Go. Do not go to Purgatory. Permadeath.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh no, those witches whose names I didn't have time to remember or learn are all dead, what a shame

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat, God went out like a bitch.

Next week though looks good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well the Angels didn't exactly have a big part in the fight, did they? Or did they really refuse to play ball?

Lucifer seems to be swinging in the wind there--Mark Pellegrino as a regular next season? :allears:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh come on, Rowena still isn't dead? :mad:

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
On the next episode of Supernatural, Jesus rides in on a harely out of nowhere and bitch slaps Amara.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, we learned why archangels are as powerful as they are, we had a heart to heart with God and Lucifer, and we got to see all kinds of weird poo poo happen.

I really liked the episode. Only downside seems to be the whole "WE ARE GONNA KILL AMARA" thing the previews seem to be insinuating. They spent all that time telling Dean repeatedly "WE CAN'T KILL HER IT'D BE CRAZY BAD WE CAN'T loving DO IT YOU RETARD", and then someone set him up the bomb.

Great episode. I loved Sam being all "DUDE WE DON'T HAVE TO SWEAT THE DECISIONS, GOD IS LITERALLY SITTING RIGHT THERE AND TELLING US IT'S OK!"

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Astroman posted:

Well the Angels didn't exactly have a big part in the fight, did they? Or did they really refuse to play ball?

Lucifer seems to be swinging in the wind there--Mark Pellegrino as a regular next season? :allears:

They did their super-smite on her.

We also learned Michael is broken as gently caress, Gabriel really is dead, and despite all the claims that they God and Amara are equal, she seems to be able to completely outclass God, even after getting her poo poo straight up wrecked by an Angel army, Demon army, some of the most powerful witches in existence, and getting stabbed in the back with a spear by a loving Archangel.

Also, did she kill Lucifer?

I was kind of hoping, although I knew they wouldn't do this, that God would just transport Castiel, Dean, and Sam back in time a few hundred years to live their lives since they couldn't stop Amara. Having those three hunting monsters and witches during the dark ages would have been awesome. They could have even still had Crowley around!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Astroman posted:

Didn't Amara vaporise him out of Castiel? It looked that way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp, we learned why archangels are as powerful as they are, we had a heart to heart with God and Lucifer, and we got to see all kinds of weird poo poo happen.

I really liked the episode. Only downside seems to be the whole "WE ARE GONNA KILL AMARA" thing the previews seem to be insinuating. They spent all that time telling Dean repeatedly "WE CAN'T KILL HER IT'D BE CRAZY BAD WE CAN'T loving DO IT YOU RETARD", and then someone set him up the bomb.

Great episode. I loved Sam being all "DUDE WE DON'T HAVE TO SWEAT THE DECISIONS, GOD IS LITERALLY SITTING RIGHT THERE AND TELLING US IT'S OK!"

Well if God dies, then Amara needs to die too, to keep the balance.

I really want Death to come back in to reap God and be like what, you thought you killed me? Fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I want them to remake all of the archangels somehow.