Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to do a full Mass Effect Retrospective but I am not going to actually include any of the DLC. Any of it. At all. Because I am a huge human being.

If you would like him to write on those topics, you are more than welcome to buy him the $70 worth of DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It's such a weird decision. You could write a super interesting analysis of the ME series' DLC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here is my Mass Effect retrospective: It owns. All of it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

DLC opinion summary time:

Shadowbroker was generally overrated. It was pretty good.

Overlord was better than shadowbroker the first time, and progessively more annoying each time after.

Arrival was fun despite the 'twist' being both really dumb and clumsy.

Citadel is the most fun, has a lot of variety and is pretty stuffed, but it feels outside the 'real' story

Omega has fun fights but is a drag.

Basically what I'm saying is Leviathan is the best DLC in the series.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Things that owned in Mass Effect (partial list)

Mordin (all)
That mission where you talk to a PTSD survivor
Calling mom
Suicide Mission (mission)
Suicide Mission (song)
"Joker, get us out of here!" (all variants)
Storytime with Wrex
Storytime with Zaeed
The Hammerhead when you don't have to fight anything and can just tool around in it
The pleasant surprise that is James Vega
Any time Javik says something mean

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Mordin (all)
Calling mom
Suicide Mission (song)
Storytime with Wrex
Storytime with Zaeed
The Hammerhead when you don't have to fight anything and can just tool around in it

The suicide mission is the only "main story" content you mentioned here. I would add Ilos/climbing the citadel to parts that owned but that completes the entirety of the good main story content. Well, hanging up the council is main story I guess so add that too. The entire problem with ME2 and 3 is that the main story goes from disconnected from the previous game at the start of ME2 to completely incoherent and contradictory by the end of ME3. Hell, based on ME1, the beginning of ME3 should've been the "Critical Mission Failure" screen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It might be part of the dumbness that is ME3's "Let's fight the Reapers with a giant space fleet even though we know that won't work" plan but seeing all the ships (if you saved everything) jump into the final battle was pretty awesome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tirranek posted:

Overlord was better than shadowbroker the first time, and progessively more annoying each time after.

Citadel is the most fun, has a lot of variety and is pretty stuffed, but it feels outside the 'real' story

Shadowbroker suffered from the titular character being built up to be an AI in all previous games (funny, this'd probably help ME3's story) but then became a one-off alien.

Pattonesque posted:

Mordin (all)
Calling mom
Suicide Mission (song)
Storytime with Wrex
Storytime with Zaeed

Shepard dancing (everything to do with it)
Urdnot Grunt's Day Off
"I should go."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tirranek posted:

No, that would be Kasumi.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Shepard dancing (everything to do with it)
Urdnot Grunt's Day Off
"I should go."

the actual start of the Shadow Broker ship level when you're on its hull in the atmosphere of a gas giant
any time you can disconnect the Council
Generally talking with your spacebros was A+
any character moments set in Shepard's sweet apartment

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

No, that would be Kasumi.

I know ur 'avin a larf but seriously, Kasumi is basically someone cosplaying a character they wrote as a self-insert in their Mass Effect fan-fiction.

Milky Moor posted:

Shadowbroker suffered from the titular character being built up to be an AI in all previous games (funny, this'd probably help ME3's story) but then became a one-off alien.

Yeah I remember thinking that was pretty crap. Of course no-one can guess who the mysterious character is if we've never seen one before.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tirranek posted:

No love for Bring Down the Sky?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

No love for Bring Down the Sky?

It is shockingly short

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ME1's soundtrack is the best part of the series.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Pattonesque posted:

It is shockingly short

True but I paid around 2 dollars for it so that was okay with me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I payed 5 dollars for Pinnacle Station. Bioware should've payed me 5 dollars.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lycus posted:

Pinnacle Station felt like there was a cool rivalry story that they just straight-up forgot to include

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

but you got an apartment in the middle of nowhere that was never mentioned again. surely that was worth it

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

drkeiscool posted:

but you got an apartment in the middle of nowhere that was never mentioned again. surely that was worth it

You could go there and refill your grenades and buy high level equipment. It was handy but pretty pointless.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the best part of the series is the years of whining, bitching, complaining, headcanon, arguments, and general nerd stupidity that continue to rage on.

You know that ME:A is going to be awful, right? It will be awful because DA:I was awful and ME:A is already using a team of awful writers to continue creating even greater levels of awful.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I think the best part of the series is the years of whining, bitching, complaining, headcanon, arguments, and general nerd stupidity that continue to rage on.

You know that ME:A is going to be awful, right? It will be awful because DA:I was awful and ME:A is already using a team of awful writers to continue creating even greater levels of awful.

DA:I was drat good. Hell, even ME3 was if you ignore the ending. I'm skeptical of how Andromeda will turn out, but honestly, if I just go by Bioware's track record, I'm sure it'll be better than most mainstream games.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
If ME:A's combat and multiplayer is as good as or better than 3's then I may commit the gravest of sins, and buy it just for multiplayer and never touch the singleplayer.

it IS going to have multiplayer, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nichael posted:

DA:I was drat good. Hell, even ME3 was if you ignore the ending.

I was kidding about DA:I, though it is a shadow of DAO. Really, I just am concerned that ME:A is going to be huge open "worlds" where you run around collecting stupid poo poo and doing even dumber sidequests.

But ME3 is trash from beginning to end with only a few good bits.
The shooty bits are the best in the series. Everything else is the worst.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hopefully Bioware have done the right thing, and made all dialogue essentially an excuse to go a place and do shooty bits. "You have to do shooty bits at the spider monsters to save the colonists" "you have to do shooty bits at the robots to get materials so we can upgrade your shootybang" "aliens have invaded the ship! Do shooty bits!" Their high-concept themes will come across a lot better when they're not tainted by Bioware writing and plotting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Axe-man posted:

You could go there and refill your grenades and buy high level equipment. It was handy but pretty pointless.

Unlimited refills of the least useful ability in the game (except on Feros).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think anyone here knows what 'high concept' actually means.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think anyone here knows what 'high concept' actually means.

high-concept
adjective
adjective: high-concept
(especially of a film or television plot) having a striking and easily communicable idea.
"Cohen's high-concept script is a nail-biter"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nichael posted:

DA:I was drat good. Hell, even ME3 was if you ignore the ending. I'm skeptical of how Andromeda will turn out, but honestly, if I just go by Bioware's track record, I'm sure it'll be better than most mainstream games.

I love to lol, so thank you for this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I really liked Shamus' retrospective. At the very least, it's better than a lovely LP by someone with a fetish for chanting "heroes journey".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 15, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sassassin posted:

I love to lol, so thank you for this.

The only untrue part of that statement is that Andromeda is most likely gonna suck really bad.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect is high-concept. The concept is "Mass Effect is good," and it is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Mass Effect games have good things in them, and they also have bad things in them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

The Mass Effect games have good things in them, and they also have bad things in them.

Controversial statement!

exquisite tea posted:

The only untrue part of that statement is that Andromeda is most likely gonna suck really bad.

I think the biggest reason why I think Andromeda is in trouble is simply because we know so little about it. But then again, the fact that we know so little could mean it'll end up being good too. Of what we do know, I really dislike the setting being such a cop out on dealing with the other three games.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 15, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Milky Moor posted:

high-concept
adjective
adjective: high-concept
(especially of a film or television plot) having a striking and easily communicable idea.
"Cohen's high-concept script is a nail-biter"

Correct.

Milky Moor posted:

Mais non.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nichael posted:

I really dislike the setting being such a cop out on dealing with the other three games.

That's what I like about it, so far.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

Actually that was really cool. An AI would have been boring and having a non-Reaper AI effectively managing intergalactic politics would have been Dumb.

The shadowbroker being a huge creepy vaguely satanic thing that rose up against his master adds to the whole demonic theme of that DLC too, what with the 'deal with the devil', literally killing him with bursts of white light from above and Liara martyring herself at the end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Still think it should've been a sentient Keeper.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It's a spider.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

All in all, you probably kill less than two-hundred members of Cerberus in Mass Effect 3.

I just did Grissom Academy and killed 99 Cerberus mooks in that one mission. You are vastly underestimating how many the game throws at you in combat sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It seems like it's been a long time since ME3 went on sale for PC. I was hoping to grab it cheap a while ago, I've been feeling the Mass Effect itch but my Xbox 360 is out of commission and I only have 1 and 2 on my PC.

E:

Doctor Reynolds posted:

ME1's soundtrack is the best part of the series.

agreed. I'd also add plot and villian and setpieces

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 15, 2016

• Locked thread