Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Just from the name, it's probably just a particular topping in a bowl of soba noodles in dashi broth. Googling it seems to suggest that it's topped with bits of fried tempura batter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Canuck-Errant posted:

It might also be worth it to look for a copy of The Food Lab or Cooking for Geeks; the latter especially is oriented at that sort of science-over-art mindset.
Eh. I really don't think either are particularly good resources for beginners, precisely because they tend toward spurgy food nerd poo poo instead of straightfoward nuts and bolts cooking skills. I still think a used copy of Prochef (at just a couple bucks) is a pretty good starting point for the dedicated amateur looking to approach the subject seriously. Which makes sense, because it's literally a textbook intended to teach the basics. But even if it isn't your particular cup of joe (and it may well not be) I'd suggest some other basic technique text over something like Kenji's book, which is really a lot narrower in focus.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I haven't done much of anything, but you're right I would imagine baking would be pretty heavy on 'measure out x amount of y ingredient, combine like so and bake at this temp for that time. It's more that most of the things I would bake would be brownies and cakes, and I don't need any more of that mess in my diet right now...

According to the website I should get a box of soy-glazed meatballs, seared chicken & verjus pan sauce and red curry and coconut shrimp stir fry next Saturday. I don't even know what some of those words mean so I should expand my culinary experience pretty rapidly if I keep up with this.
there are lots of good instant beads, like banana, which would fall under the brownie/cake category. If you've never had fresh baked bread, don't fear the yeast; no-kneed is near foolproof and would be a great side to the blue ribbon stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The intuitive sense you get with cooking is something that only comes with time, I think. I suppose you could force it by doing a lot of very focused practice. One thing I do sometimes when I have a new spice/ingredient I want to try is cook something fast that you're very familiar with, do it exactly the same as you usually do except add the new thing, that way you only have one variable to play with. It's not perfect since flavors can vary wildly depending on what you do with the rest of the dish, but it gives you some basis (and is better than just trying the spice on its own, I find). Fried eggs are good for this since they're fast, cheap, and have both a fatty and lean part so you can see how that affects the flavor. You can also try three or four different egg spice variations and try them together to compare. So yeah actually grinding your fry skill on eggs isn't a bad idea. :v:

When I try to learn a new cuisine I hunt around online for a good site, preferably done by someone who is a native of the place. I start with recipes I've had before so I kind of know what I'm going for, then look through the other recipes to try to identify techniques. Usually a particular cuisine will have a range of basic flavor combinations (think ginger/garlic/green onion in Chinese, or dashi/soy in Japanese) that are important to it, and might have special techniques to learn. If you can find those basic parts, make those and see how it works, then you can do a whole range of stuff. I always follow the recipe exactly when I'm first learning, so I know what it's supposed to be. Learn to play the notes before you improvise.

For improvising, the most important things I ever learned when I was starting out was that if you try a food and it's missing something, but you can't put your finger on what: add salt, or add acid, or both. That's almost always what's missing, but they both play support roles in most recipes so it's not obvious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's talk pork roulade for a minute.

I made one last night, using a 2.2lb pork tenderloin. I was googling around and of course the recipes were all over the map when it came to cooking time, 20 minutes for a 1lb (which is closer to what size tenderloin I get, and how long I cook it) all the way up to over an hour for a 2lb'er

Some of the recipes I am thinking were converted or copied from a pork loin roast, which I can see taking that long. Anyway, this one went in for about 50 minutes which I think was at the very least 10 minutes too long. This is about half of it when I was slicing it up for lunches.

It was a little bit dry but not tough, the filling saved it. Craisins, apple, walnuts, onion, mushrooms, I should have thrown on garlic cloves in there.

What do you guys go with on baking times? I realize since it's full of stuffing it will need more time but how does how thick you butterfly it out to play into it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

Let's talk pork roulade for a minute.

I made one last night, using a 2.2lb pork tenderloin. I was googling around and of course the recipes were all over the map when it came to cooking time, 20 minutes for a 1lb (which is closer to what size tenderloin I get, and how long I cook it) all the way up to over an hour for a 2lb'er

Some of the recipes I am thinking were converted or copied from a pork loin roast, which I can see taking that long. Anyway, this one went in for about 50 minutes which I think was at the very least 10 minutes too long. This is about half of it when I was slicing it up for lunches.

It was a little bit dry but not tough, the filling saved it. Craisins, apple, walnuts, onion, mushrooms, I should have thrown on garlic cloves in there.

What do you guys go with on baking times? I realize since it's full of stuffing it will need more time but how does how thick you butterfly it out to play into it?

For somethin like that I'd just go with a probe thermometer. Due to the differing water content of filling , thickness of the roll, weight of the meat etc, it's the most consistent way I can think of.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I guess I must have a good sense for what flavors work together or something because the whole statement of "let's see what happens if put this in this" is confusing to me because I would never put something in without knowing what would happen because it's always obvious to me what would happen well ahead of time, I just assumed everyone is like that. That's sort of depressing. :sigh:

Have you been cooking for a long time? Did your parents involve you in the cooking process when you were young?

These are things some people can easily take for granted, but have major impacts on someone's cooking intuition.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But back to the original point, I just think that recipes are pretty limiting and if you just follow lists and instructions it's harder to understand why and how various ingredients and techniques work together.

This is why I learned from Cook's Illustrated and its book, The Science of Good Cooking, which explains the concepts behind why you do certain things in recipes, and teaches you how to use your senses, and not just a timer, to tell when a step is done. I don't have to worry about loving up some inscrutable outcome of the recipe being made where it's colder or a different altitude because I know why I'm doing each part and whether it's been accomplished.

hogmartin posted:

Be sure to grab a $1.50 oven thermometer, you might be surprised at what your oven thinks is 350ºF.

Yeah mine is about 25º colder than the dial, for example, so I have to adjust up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought some dried chiles at the meximart and they have a "best by" date. Can I ignore it?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I bought some dried chiles at the meximart and they have a "best by" date. Can I ignore it?

Generally, yes.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, but in general you want to still inspect the chiles and make sure they're good. An ideal chile (more or less) is more like a fruit rollup than anything.. soft, pliable, and aromatic. Chiles with weird spots (insect damage), or would just crumble to dust like at the end of Last Crusade are usually not going to be that great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I was going to cook with maniok/yams. Then I read that these are actually poisonous when not prepared correctly. However, none of the recipes I found mention this. They just cook it and that's that.
I am seriously unsure what to do. Is maniok/yams dangerous when not prepared correctly or not? If it is I will use a ready made maniok powder instead.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hopper posted:

So I was going to cook with maniok/yams. Then I read that these are actually poisonous when not prepared correctly. However, none of the recipes I found mention this. They just cook it and that's that.
I am seriously unsure what to do. Is maniok/yams dangerous when not prepared correctly or not? If it is I will use a ready made maniok powder instead.

What type do you have? If it's sweet cassava then you can just boil it and that will remove the toxins, bitter cassava has much higher concentrations of toxins and needs industrial processing to be made safe but I doubt you have that stuff since it's mostly used to make flour and tapioca powder.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Scooped 2 racks of ribs that were on sale for $4/lb but I don't have a grill.

What is the best way to cook these otherwise, is an oven a good option? I have heard tell in these parts of goons boiling them but I don't know about that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There are a few things you can do, but the easiest is slow cooker.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do not boil and I wouldn't recommend slow cooker. Come to slow smoking meat, I know we've discussed oven ribs before.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
For gods sake don't boil them. The oven will work for sure, but your AC might not like an oven running for 6 hours.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pre smoker I would seal them in foil with some tequila, honey, a little bit of stock, a couple drops of liquid smoke and braise them in the oven for a few hours.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What type do you have? If it's sweet cassava then you can just boil it and that will remove the toxins, bitter cassava has much higher concentrations of toxins and needs industrial processing to be made safe but I doubt you have that stuff since it's mostly used to make flour and tapioca powder.

Right now I haven't bought any yet. But I'd have to ask because in the stores it always only says maniok/cassava.
I'll think about it then. After all raw potatoes are not edible either iirc.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Right now I haven't bought any yet. But I'd have to ask because in the stores it always only says maniok/cassava.
I'll think about it then. After all raw potatoes are not edible either iirc.

It's potato skins that are toxic, and cooking doesn't do too much to reduce it either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine#Solanine_in_potatoes

I believe you do need to eat a considerable amount of potato skin to really get sick though, so it's not a huge deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gerblyn posted:

I believe you do need to eat a considerable amount of potato skin to really get sick though, so it's not a huge deal.

Yeah the lethal dose for an average person is three or four kilograms if I remember right.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For gods sake don't boil them. The oven will work for sure, but your AC might not like an oven running for 6 hours.

Right, that's why you slow cook them first, and then finish them in the oven.

Like, dry rub overnight, slow cooker until they are cooked all the way through, paint on some BBQ sauce and broil at fairly high heat.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Hopper posted:

Maybe you're taking this into account already, but at least in America yam is often used as a synonym for sweet potato. So the recipes you're seeing might not even be written for real yams unless they specifically say maniok.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone familiar with potato cookies? I am intrigued:

http://greenthumbfarms.com/potato-cookies/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bob Morales posted:

What do you guys go with on baking times?

If sous vide is at all an option, I vizzled pork loin roulade with a leek + mushroom stuffing and it was wicked:

Before that, I did an oven baked one (1h20 at 180C), it was definitely drier but the resulting sauce was certainly better than the sous vide pan sauce:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Esme posted:

Maybe you're taking this into account already, but at least in America yam is often used as a synonym for sweet potato. So the recipes you're seeing might not even be written for real yams unless they specifically say maniok.

Yeah, I saw this as well. However, my recipe is African and I bought sweet manifold in a store today. I asked the clerk and an African lady who was there was friendly enough to explain I can cook it like potato and it will be fine... I had a feeling they thought it was pretty funny that this clueless white guy wants to cook an African meal.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Jan posted:

If sous vide is at all an option, I vizzled pork loin roulade with a leek + mushroom stuffing and it was wicked:

Before that, I did an oven baked one (1h20 at 180C), it was definitely drier but the resulting sauce was certainly better than the sous vide pan sauce:

Literally just made a leek mushroom stuffing this morning for pork roulade that I'm roasting tonight. Looks fantastic, I'd puddle mine if my jerry-rigged temperature controller was wired up.

E: Super juicy, especially for roasting:

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 20, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I started playing around with more foods that I'm used to and that led to collard greens. Are they supposed to still be fibrous and kinda tough when you cook them? I took the stem out, cooked some carrots and bacon in the pan first, then added the collards, water, molasses, and apple cider vinegar. They were REALLY good and I liked the fibrousness of them, but are they supposed to still be tough or be like other greens when they're cooked down and wilted?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Collards are pretty tough yeah. They're usually stewed for two or three hours if you're making like the standard southern greens. They'll get tender eventually.

One thing that helps is don't add the vinegar until the end, vinegar strengthens pectin and makes vegetables take longer to soften.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Also, the lower and slower the better. Like 170 for 16 hours.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy loves to make wraps with raw collards, but I hate it. Way too fibrous and waxy mouth feel. Yuck.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

You probably have a very good sense for what flavors go well with each other? My personal experience is that it's better to follow other people's recipes at least once, and then start improvising once I have a good feel for what they did and why it worked (or didn't). The few times I've just said "let's see what happens if put this in this" have gone badly!

Grab a copy of the Flavor Bible. I cook a ton and have a good handle on what goes with what, but it's a godsend for when you're just like "hmm i wonder what other weird poo poo goes with basil"

basil + hamachi tuna + tomatoes + watermelon?

hookay book whatever you say

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

When I've separated the red and yellow juices out of watermelon juice, I discovered that the red tasted very vaguely like tomato. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I wondered if there was a way to make a bloody mary using the watermelon red juice. (The yellow tastes kind of like the rind which is vaguely reminiscent of cucumbers)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Grab a copy of the Flavor Bible. I cook a ton and have a good handle on what goes with what, but it's a godsend for when you're just like "hmm i wonder what other weird poo poo goes with basil"

Wanna make a Basil and Tarragon salad now, just to see what happens.

My mother actually brought me a book like that a few years back, I think it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavour-Thesaurus-Niki-Segnit/dp/0747599777

I should crack it open this weekend and give it a try.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

When I've separated the red and yellow juices out of watermelon juice, I discovered that the red tasted very vaguely like tomato. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I wondered if there was a way to make a bloody mary using the watermelon red juice. (The yellow tastes kind of like the rind which is vaguely reminiscent of cucumbers)

A sweet watermelon Bloody Mary would be awesome! Spiced with a hit of five-spice and garnished with something nice and salty... Really bring out the sweetness and umami of the watermelon.

Watermelon Lemonaide on it's own or with gin is also amazing. Watermelon is just amazing. Heck. We need a watermelon thread for summer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

A sweet watermelon Bloody Mary would be awesome! Spiced with a hit of five-spice and garnished with something nice and salty... Really bring out the sweetness and umami of the watermelon.

Watermelon Lemonaide on it's own or with gin is also amazing. Watermelon is just amazing. Heck. We need a watermelon thread for summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKZpgVfMo

Please watch this in its entirety.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

....wow

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone have a great buttermilk biscuit recipe? Really craving some biscuits and gravy.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

A collins made with watermelon-infused vodka can be dangerously quaffable during the summer.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Rurutia posted:

Does anyone have a great buttermilk biscuit recipe? Really craving some biscuits and gravy.

Do you have access to flour made from winter wheat (like Red Band or White Lily, usually it's self-rising "biscuit flour")? If not, your biscuits will not be great, but they will be good. You can sub 1/4 C corn starch for 1/4 C of AP flour but it's a little weird. You could also use cake flour. But in these cases you must remember to add SUPER FRESH baking powder (Rumford's is best) and salt.

Anyway, here goes:

2 1/4 C self-rising biscuit flour (or {2 C AP flour + 1/4 C cornstarch or 2 1/4 C cake flour} + 1 T baking powder + 1 t salt)
1/2 C lard or butter (or both)
1 C buttermilk or maybe more, depending on humidity

If not using biscuit flour, blend the dry ingredients first. Cut in the fat with forks, knives, or food pro until pebble-y. Add buttermilk until moistened and dough forms into a ball, but no more. Handle sparingly! Using regular AP flour, roll out the dough to about 1" and either using a sharp knife cut rectangles or use a cutter to make rounds. Lay the biscuits on a parchment-lined sheet tray and make a thumb-print in the center. At this point you can bake them at 450 F for 10-15 minutes or you can freeze them and bake them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

:agreed: That's a bomb-rear end book and when I forgot to pick up an ingredient it's my go-to for substitutions