Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

MisterBibs posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Doom 3 is a good, fun game. It took more flak than it deserved because everyone was so hyped for Half-Life 2 that any other shooter was going to catch poo poo for not being HL2.

It wasn't trying to be the same Doom we grew up in either look and tone, so I never judged it by that standard. I've replayed it quite a few times over the years (just enough to forget most of it in between) and I've found that what it's going for generally works.

Funny enough, I think 4 occasionally reminds me of things I liked/missed from 3. D4 sometimes feels too fast, too gently caress-the-story, too bright, too.. I dunno, something I can't describe. I'm having a goddamned blast playing it, outside of minor niggles.

(as an aside, I really don't like how D4 imps look.)

I never really liked Doom 3. It tried too much to be a scary game and too little to be a fun game. To make it even worse, was that it tried to be scary by focusing on jump scares... very, very predictable jump scares. Almost every time you literally stepped off the main road of stainless steel panels to grab this upgrade sitting there, you could be 99% sure of it that as you picked up the upgrade an Imp would spawn behind you. It wasn't scary, it was boring.

I still distinctly remember standing in front of the n-th closed door, that you had to open by interacting with it, and just aimed at the bottom of the door because I knew an Imp would come crawling screeching out of the door as it would open (the door would get stuck/open slowly as so many door before it). Guess what happened? I interacted with the door and an Imp came out crawling! It repeated the same jump scare scenario's again and again, while not offering much else, really. The shooting was meh, too many closed off corridors and movement was otherwise very... unwieldy I'd say?

The multiplayer also didn't really make the game more appealing, it was 4 people max. No, it didn't have co-op (although I think some people modded that in later), it was simply 4 player death match. Doom 3 wasn't a secretly hidden gem that people "simply didn't understand", it was a boring below average game that looked pretty when there were a lot of shadows. Doom 3 dug its own grave, it would've been just as lackluster if it was released before Half-Life 2.

Half Life 2 shitted all over Doom 3 because Half Life 2 was simply a much better game.

Batham fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How much was bethesda involved in making this? am I going to find the next elder scrolls heavily influenced by their time on this or did they barely do much?

As far as I'm aware, not at all.

id helped with the gunplay in Fallout 4 though. Which is why the guns in F4 don't feel like complete rear end.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Batham posted:

No, it didn't have co-op (although I think some people modded that in later)
They added it to the okay-I-guess Xbox port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXYYn7bDH0

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

The Kins posted:

They added it to the okay-I-guess Xbox port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXYYn7bDH0

I stand corrected then! I kinda never really followed up on future versions of Doom 3, considering how "meh" the original PC game was. I heard some better things about its expansion I guess, but that's it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Oh and something else that bugged me a bit as I went through the campaign. But not something directly to do with the campaign itself.

They had three voice actors they could have used for the announcer in the multiplayer. They had Samuel Hayden, who has a really awesome growly artificial voice, the Slayer Testament guy, who sounds like an awesome demonic preacher, and they had VEGA, who by admitance in the codex was designed to sound like a friendly 50 year old fart.

Guess which one they chose for the MP announcer? :doh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How much was bethesda involved in making this? am I going to find the next elder scrolls heavily influenced by their time on this or did they barely do much?
Judging by the credits, it looks like a bunch of other Bethesda-owned studios were called in to lend a hand in one way or another. So I guess they called in the cavalry?

AirRaid posted:

Oh and something else that bugged me a bit as I went through the campaign. But not something directly to do with the campaign itself.

They had three voice actors they could have used for the announcer in the multiplayer. They had Samuel Hayden, who has a really awesome growly artificial voice, the Slayer Testament guy, who sounds like an awesome demonic preacher, and they had VEGA, who by admitance in the codex was designed to sound like a friendly 50 year old fart.

Guess which one they chose for the MP announcer? :doh:
The loading screen tips refer to multiplayer as "the simulation" so I guess it makes some vague form of sense in that way. Still disappointing, though!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Doom's going to be slow they said. Glory kills will slow things down they said...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeleTM0MI2I&feature=youtu.be

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Does the cacodemon have two buttholes in the new doom??

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
So did anyone notice the unique animation for picking up the doomguy doll? The first bump was adorable :3:
(spoiled because I don't want to ruin anything just in case)

Best game. I'm happy id/Bethesda pulled it off.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Doom's going to be slow they said. Glory kills will slow things down they said...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeleTM0MI2I&feature=youtu.be

That guy who was complaining about the shotgun being too weak needs to watch this. For reference this is in the latter half of the game when you have every gun except the BFG.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So apparantly my game crashes whenever I get to the end of the Tower. A countdown happens, screen goes white > black and that's it. It just hangs there permanently. Already updated the drivers and everything. :sigh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

AirRaid posted:

That guy who was complaining about the shotgun being too weak needs to watch this. For reference this is in the latter half of the game when you have every gun except the BFG.
I find the regular shotgun to be annoyingly inconsistent. It'll do fine some times and other times I find myself having to shoot an imp three times from a similar distance before it becomes stunned. For regular shooting I much rather use the Super Shotgun, especially since the master upgrade for the SSG makes it only take one shell per shot instead of two. The secondary abilities really save the regular shotgun though, since both explosive shot and burst are awesome.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I watched DraQu_ beat the game on Ultra nightmare last night on Twitch, so tense watching it live. It also became apparent I'd missed a lot of secrets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not going too crazy over secrets right now because the levels in Doom are actually something I'd want to replay.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Batham posted:

I never really liked Doom 3. It tried too much to be a scary game and too little to be a fun game. To make it even worse, was that it tried to be scary by focusing on jump scares... very, very predictable jump scares. Almost every time you literally stepped off the main road of stainless steel panels to grab this upgrade sitting there, you could be 99% sure of it that as you picked up the upgrade an Imp would spawn behind you. It wasn't scary, it was boring.

I still distinctly remember standing in front of the n-th closed door, that you had to open by interacting with it, and just aimed at the bottom of the door because I knew an Imp would come crawling screeching out of the door as it would open (the door would get stuck/open slowly as so many door before it). Guess what happened? I interacted with the door and an Imp came out crawling! It repeated the same jump scare scenario's again and again, while not offering much else, really. The shooting was meh, too many closed off corridors and movement was otherwise very... unwieldy I'd say?

The multiplayer also didn't really make the game more appealing, it was 4 people max. No, it didn't have co-op (although I think some people modded that in later), it was simply 4 player death match. Doom 3 wasn't a secretly hidden gem that people "simply didn't understand", it was a boring below average game that looked pretty when there were a lot of shadows. Doom 3 dug its own grave, it would've been just as lackluster if it was released before Half-Life 2.

Half Life 2 shitted all over Doom 3 because Half Life 2 was simply a much better game.

I dunno, I really enjoyed Doom 3 much more than HL2.

Doom 1 and Doom 2 had plenty of monster closets, especially near power ups or new weapons; Doom 3 just made them more jumpy. Shooting was pretty solid iirc.

I agree with the multiplayer though. Its as if it were an after thought. Xbox version had online coop and it was modded into the pc version later on.

Its all down to personal tastes. Doom 3 was not perfect but I think it gets more flak than it deserves.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I beat the game on hurt me plenty yesterday, going through it on nightmare now and it's a whole different ball game. Actually using everything in my arsenal, whizzing around everywhere like a madman on all kinds of speed. I love it. I thought nightmare would end up being a chore but it's really not, I wish I started on it. Because you're always on a knife-edge, the exploration for finding the secrets, weapon upgrades and praetor chips is even more important. I think id did a bang-up job with the difficulties. I love that there's a hardcore mode difficulty that even marks the furthest point you died.

I'm convinced the monsters have extra super-charged abilities on higher difficulties, the imps and soldiers are charging their shots up and doing massive AOE balls that I've never seen on hurt me plenty.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 15, 2016

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Fun fact - New Doom would require 40515 3.5 floppy disks to install

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does the cacodemon have two buttholes in the new doom??

Depends if you use the SSG :gibs:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can't even comprehend how someone could be this bad at handling a controller.

I can complete semi-difficult custom rocket jump maps in TF2 and similarly engined games. I can't play an FPS with a console controller.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can't even comprehend how someone could be this bad at handling a controller.

I haven't played an FPS game besides Doom/Overwatch since Q3 Arena and you really have to try to be that bad, the game goes out of its way to make you look/feel like a total badass even with no skills.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's true that people find pads hard, but Polygon could've put a more appropriate reviewer on the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's true that people find pads hard, but Polygon could've put a more appropriate reviewer on the game.

Instead of giving the job to someone's dog on Bring Your Dog to Work Day, that is

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haha holy poo poo this is so good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Well, there's nothing in our company policy that says a dog COULDN'T review a video game!"

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm trading in a few games, looking for a new game. This has been on my radar and reviews seem favorable. Is this worth it? Thanks in advance

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you don't mind the multiplayer component not being very good, yes it is. Don't buy it for 60 dollars if you can help it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stringbean posted:

I'm trading in a few games, looking for a new game. This has been on my radar and reviews seem favorable. Is this worth it? Thanks in advance

single player is loving great

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Stringbean posted:

It's a perfectly 'ok' modern console shooter. If you like modern console shooters, you'll probably like DOOM. The campaign is easy and pretty short but reasonably fun throughout.

The multiplayer is a total joke, don't buy this game for the multiplayer.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Id be paying something like... 30 bucks by trading in games i haven't touched in a year or so. If the single player has replayability then I'm all up for this.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Stringbean posted:

The single player is the best shooter in many, many years. If you're not a multiplayer person you should absolutely buy it.
It's got replayability, you can select previous missions and challenges and play them through with the equipment you've found so far. It's quite a long single player campaign by FPS standards too, took me 11 hours with middle-level exploration. The levels are long-winded and labyrinthine (think Doom 1 and 2) with plenty to explore and do.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If you can't see the difference in tone, style and gameplay from this to most of the garbage console FPS of the last few years then I feel grief for you

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

my pc is a lunix system, and doom just crashes in wine apparently (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40623), so playing the ps4 version - really impressed with how well it feels after tweaking it a bit:

-disabling smoothing
-increasing fov
-decreasing sensitivity (25 feels right but ymmv)
-other gameplay things like turning off glory highlights and the compass

if somehow anyone is still on the fence about the console versions after reading this thread but loved doom CLASSIC, maybe this capture will help?: https://youtu.be/-nP-qu1hANU

Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 15, 2016

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Doom multiplayer isnt *amazing* but it isn't garbage. It's actually really not bad.

What is it with you guys?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bethesda are the #1 trolls. Their marketing department is downright brilliant (or completely retarded). My opinions based on playing all the betas was that MP was going to be a complete joke, and that single player was going to be a really big ball of meh. When the game launched a few friends on Steam were playing it so I peeped their streams and was shocked at how solid single player looked. Enough to buy the it :shobon:

Definitely haven't regretted my purchase. I'm about 10+ hours in on the SP campaign (UV) and trying to find most of the secrets, etc. It's been a really fun ride. They managed to create a combat system that feels very rhythmic, something akin to old school arena shooters. Each bit of combat is a set piece and meshes well with the over arching level design. I've kinda never been so glad to have been so wrong about this game. Recently tried out the MP and it's come along a fair bit since the betas. It's enjoyable at least for me. It's got that Q3A feel on lockdown.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The single player is the best shooter in many, many years. If you're not a multiplayer person you should absolutely buy it.
It's got replayability, you can select previous missions and challenges and play them through with the equipment you've found so far. It's quite a long single player campaign by FPS standards too, took me 11 hours with middle-level exploration. The levels are long-winded and labyrinthine (think Doom 1 and 2) with plenty to explore and do.

Ditto on the above; I only played a few multiplayer matches and it wasn't bad, but single player alone is so good it's worth it.

They did such a good job all around, it feels like a true sequel and mirrors the original thrills I got playing endless hours of Doom on PSOne as a kid.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for the input goons, gonna pick it up later and dive in tonight!

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
This is the best loving FPS in ages. I had to get rid of keys 7-9 and remapped the gauss and rocket launcher to my thumb buttons with everything else on 1-6. I pull some crazy combos and doomguy acts tweaked af.

My only concern with the singleplayer is the lack of proper story pacing (haha i know right? :v:). It felt like the game dropped me into the midgame right off the bat, and every level i felt like i was getting close to the end. I never got a sense of where my progression was. It was only really a problem cause the game is loving amazing and i didn't want it to end with a Rage-esque moment. I was genuinely concerned when i went into Hell after just a few missions and it felt like this was gonna be it, this is what you're gonna see for the rest of the game. Of course i was wrong about that. But it's hard to tell if a game is gonna offer 5 hours or 12 these days. It sticks out because the pacing in other areas like enemy progression and weapons/abilities is really good (i guess that's the way to measure progress is with what you've unlocked so far).

Rage really burned me i guess.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Since I haven't found a place on here for submitting snapmaps, you all should definitely use VNDG5RQX to play the one i made the other night while i was extremely sleepy

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

Story chat end of game spoilers to follow so if i'm interpreting all the logs right, there is one hell dimension, and one doomguy "soul" and infinite Human dimensions? Seems to be a way of tying all the different games together. I'm curious as to whether they set up Hayden to be a sequel villain or a dlc villain, as there isn't any single player dlc announced. I'm happy the doom guy made a vega backup though. Having a AI is a easy way to have exposition without having doomguy talk.

At first I thought you were gonna give Hayden the VEGA backup at the end, but then he decided to be a huge dick to you.

I suppose he's mad that you stopped him from harvesting hell energy, but he should just be grateful Doom Marine didn't kill him when he had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Does anyone know if the soundtrack is available somewhere?