Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
(guy who dished out a formal punishment in response to a light insult)

I am extremely happy and love being insulted! It does NOT effect my mood. I'm cool as a cucumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:lol:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

agreed

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
now make them editable

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it's nice to finally get some laughs from this thread

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

forums cancer lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mishaq posted:

forums cancer lmao

one of the few who deserve it imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

couldn't happen to a better poster

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
lomarf

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
two meltdowns on one page. I love this gay soon to be dead forum

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Larry Parrish posted:

Industry standard prototyping and milling software literally doesn't run on anything but Windows

Neither does the specialty print software for advertising people

autocad runs on Mac and advertising people don't use print software they use Photoshop and then send it to actual printing shops.

the Mac is the platform of choice for creatives, don't be a loving idiot.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

the Mac is the platform of choice for ... a loving idiot.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

i use a mac cuck

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

autocad runs on Mac and advertising people don't use print software they use Photoshop and then send it to actual printing shops.

Having used the Mac AutoCAD for several years, it somehow sucks more than Windows AutoCAD.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
lol did you just :retrogames: to cure your cancer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larry Parrish posted:

Having used the Mac AutoCAD for several years, it somehow sucks more than Windows AutoCAD.
IIRC I think only Mudbox, Maya, Sketchbook, and regular AutoCAD are natively supported in OSX- I think with some other tools that integrate into those are supported too?

NX and Teamcenter I think are still supported on OSX but I think they're basically the Linux versions and those suck.

Neither Solidworks nor CATIA are available on OSX.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

IIRC I think only Mudbox, Maya, Sketchbook, and regular AutoCAD are natively supported in OSX- I think with some other tools that integrate into those are supported too?

NX and Teamcenter I think are still supported on OSX but I think they're basically the Linux versions and those suck.

Neither Solidworks nor CATIA are available on OSX.

Solidworks is mostly what I was talking about... I know there's other tools that might be more popular, but the method of AutoCAD -> Solidworks -> MasterCAM/whatever mill control software -> finishing the machining yourself is just something that's not going to work with a mac at about any step in that process

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larry Parrish posted:

Solidworks is mostly what I was talking about... I know there's other tools that might be more popular, but the method of AutoCAD -> Solidworks -> MasterCAM/whatever mill control software -> finishing the machining yourself is just something that's not going to work with a mac at about any step in that process
Oh right, MasterCAM doesn't run on OSX either.

It's a big piece of poo poo and I hate it though.

edit: also Creo

evilcat
May 16, 2009

I see them in studio use, but rarely anymore by choice. The last place I was in had a first year PowerMac G5 hooked up to a wide format printer and a film scanner, both of which were as old as the mac.
Newer software and hardware may work on Windows/OSX, but when it's running a scanner and printer that are "if you have to ask" expensive and won't work on intel, it's hard to really justify an upgrade when it's cheaper to keep the computer running than it is to replace an ink cartridge so the old stuff chugs along.
Then because the people just getting started see the macs running the core of a lot of studios, they associate macs with creativity.
The prevailing attitude in the studio I was at for the few years I was there was of the youngest people loving the macs and the older crowd tolerating them and just wanting new machines that were faster and had the new software and new hardware that wasn't being kept in operation by prayers and bodges but had to be used because no way can a small studio afford to upgrade that much gear, so you used what you had.
Working in a studio or other creative enterprise is pretty much the opposite of what people think or pretend it is, unless you get in with a major firm or studio that actually makes some money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

autocad is an anachronistic piece of poo poo that no designer or engineer has used in earnest since 2004

solidworks and catia, and maybe pro-e/creo. and none of those run on Macs.

obviously neither do the CAM softwares that actually run the machines but that's not a ~creative~ job so I guess it doesn't count

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm a creative.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides when people say stupid poo poo like Macs Are For Creatives they're thinking of like, adobe premiere and photoshop. Yeah sure photoshop runs fine on a mac but have you ever rendered a high quality video from raw source with premiere. That poo poo takes hours. So why would you buy a $2000 mac when you can buy a $1400 PC that has triple the processing power because of GPU offloading etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The answer is because you're a retarded tech worker with more money than sense and you don't actually know much of anything outside of Java or whatever which is why you haven't gotten a raise for 5 years

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
:jerkbag:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

evilcat posted:

I see them in studio use, but rarely anymore by choice. The last place I was in had a first year PowerMac G5 hooked up to a wide format printer and a film scanner, both of which were as old as the mac.
Newer software and hardware may work on Windows/OSX, but when it's running a scanner and printer that are "if you have to ask" expensive and won't work on intel, it's hard to really justify an upgrade when it's cheaper to keep the computer running than it is to replace an ink cartridge so the old stuff chugs along.
Then because the people just getting started see the macs running the core of a lot of studios, they associate macs with creativity.
The prevailing attitude in the studio I was at for the few years I was there was of the youngest people loving the macs and the older crowd tolerating them and just wanting new machines that were faster and had the new software and new hardware that wasn't being kept in operation by prayers and bodges but had to be used because no way can a small studio afford to upgrade that much gear, so you used what you had.
Working in a studio or other creative enterprise is pretty much the opposite of what people think or pretend it is, unless you get in with a major firm or studio that actually makes some money.

This is more or less exactly the experience I had working at a publisher. I think I was working with beige desktop Macs as late as 2009.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you dont have a beefy server with a bunch of tesla cards to do all your rendering on remotely from your mac

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont' so gently caress you

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
can we all take a moment of silence for warren "i dont do tech" buffett's 100 million unrealized loss in aapl

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Besides when people say stupid poo poo like Macs Are For Creatives they're thinking of like, adobe premiere and photoshop. Yeah sure photoshop runs fine on a mac but have you ever rendered a high quality video from raw source with premiere. That poo poo takes hours. So why would you buy a $2000 mac when you can buy a $1400 PC that has triple the processing power because of GPU offloading etc.

wha tabout audio. if you want 2 make sweet synth sounds or record people you use osx... the gold standard. thanks logic x. thanks tim.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Buffett has figured out that Apple has turned into a value company, and he is likely holding for the long term, so don't morn his losses just yet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

remains scary from an investors perspective just how huge a monolith apple is resting almost exclusively on the iphone. but the stock is very very cheap even if the assumption is that they just tread water for decades to come

in before tim tries to compete with tesla, making no money while tarnishing the brand, making the whole thing come crashing down

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

The Management posted:

Buffett has figured out that Apple has turned into a value company, and he is likely holding for the long term, so don't morn his losses just yet.

alternatively, aapl is a stable consumer dividend and the position was entered by the portfolio managers

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

remains scary from an investors perspective just how huge a monolith apple is resting almost exclusively on the iphone. but the stock is very very cheap even if the assumption is that they just tread water for decades to come

in before tim tries to compete with tesla, making no money while tarnishing the brand, making the whole thing come crashing down

its ok. GE peaked decades ago but that hasnt stopped it

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Triglav posted:

GE is a pretty diverse company though unlike Apple which basically is the iPhone. If somehow some other company were to dominate and eradicate them in the cell phone industry, Apple would be a much different company.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
GE has fingers in all pies.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

GE has fingers in all pies.

The major DCS vendors are losing market share quick as the smaller PLC vendors *coughRockwellcough* move way, way up market as all these coal plants retrofit to gas and overall that is Very Good because DCS vendors can eat a big bag of poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stux posted:

wha tabout audio. if you want 2 make sweet synth sounds or record people you use osx... the gold standard. thanks logic x. thanks tim.

The only mac exclusive audio program is Garageband which is fail garbage.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GE is one of those companies that is so big that most of it can do well and part of it can poo poo the bed and ruin the stock price.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Triglav posted:

alternatively, aapl is a stable consumer dividend and the position was entered by the portfolio managers

it is exactly a stable dividend, plus buybacks are steadily increasing eps. they are a value stock

GE was rigging its books for years under Welch, hiding losses and deferring profits so that they always hit guidance figures. Apple doesn't do that and then they take a hit when they have a great quarter that follows an even greater quarter y/y

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

apple isn't in the weapons industry so they're kinda hosed there

does spreading fail aids through their products not count as biological weaponry? take one look at pleasure kevin and cremnob and tell me apple isnt in the weapons business. please. get a loving clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

i just thought that was part of being canadian

certainly doesnt help

• Locked thread