Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My only real big disappointment with DS2 was when I made a character specifically for Xanthous King gimmick invasions and I equipped the hat.

I renamed him smallhat king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

The wiki is terrible and should burn.

wikidot > fextralife

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lets make our own wiki.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lets make our own wiki.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

GulagDolls posted:

lets make our own wiki.

We had one for DS1. I just came across the files. The problem is: not enough contributing. In the end, there were maybe 3 people who contributed with any regularity, and another 5-6 that wrote like 1 thing.

A wiki isn't much good if most of the information is missing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

wikidot > fextralife

The fextrafile one is a nightmare on mobile. Wikidot is pretty incomplete at the moment though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

double nine posted:

2. Lore/Story. What the hell is the usurpation ending about? There is obviously a Kaathe connection with yuria's armor mentioning Primordial Serpents - but I don't see a. what we actually did and b. what effect that this creates?

The line from that ending leaves kind of a lot of unanswered questions, but I think it's interesting to look at the differences between this and the "let the first flame burn out" ending from DS1, which is portrayed as a win for the Darkwraiths.

Here, instead of letting it fizzle out, which is another ending, you steal the last of it to do... something. My take is that in the intervening cycles between the end of the first one and this, the end of the last one, the Sable Church (aka Darkwraiths with a new coat of paint and perhaps some tricks to make crazy-hollows still useful), either on its own recognizance or with Kaathe's assistance, came up with a better idea. Since the First Flame is presumably going to fizzle out anyway, they want to do something with it before then. My current hypothesis is something to the tune of the Aldrich/Pontiff gameplan - in the coming Age of Archtrees Mk2 (since Ages of Dark are tied to the Flame still existing), Team Darkwraith gets to be the biggest, baddest assholes on the block.

It might also tie into whatever Londor's trick is to keep Hollows tottering along - "Make Londor whole" is a pleasantly creepy line and Londor's whole thing is that it's a kingdom of Hollows.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
you spend the whole game lighting bonfires and that ending means you finally get to become one.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I have gotten pretty ok at parrying but I still take a lot of damage when parrying. Is there anyway to reduce the amount of damage I take when performing a successful parry?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you're taking damage when parrying then you're getting a partial parry. a perfect parry will have you not take damage

but beyond increasing your overall defenses there's not really n e thing you can dore

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

So I have gotten pretty ok at parrying but I still take a lot of damage when parrying. Is there anyway to reduce the amount of damage I take when performing a successful parry?

You don't take damage when/if your timing is spot-on. So your timing still needs a little work - you are slightly too late and thus the weapon damages you slightly.

Use a buckler or the target shield, they have more forgiving timing windows.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

double nine posted:

You don't take damage when/if your timing is spot-on. So your timing still needs a little work - you are slightly too late and thus the weapon damages you slightly.

Use a buckler or the target shield, they have more forgiving timing windows.

I have been using a caestus, because I find its timing window is incredibly forgiving.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Iretep posted:

The game is very easy with a properly built sorcerer or STR build. Though if you go faith or dex youll cry.

Are you serious?

You are aren't you.

After getting my AGS lightning enchanted and getting Faith to 34, I'm not nearly as unstoppable as I thought I'd be. On a weapon with S scaling in faith, I thought a lightning infusion would be exceptional, but it really isn't. Sure, it's an ultra greatsword so it hurts, but only because it's an ultra greatsword. I find my survivability goes up several times over when I use a shield and sword. I'm just not good enough to roll without one and try two handing a great sword.

Tell me, is the standard reinforced longsword really that good? What do I use to field a properly built STR build?

WaltherFeng posted:

This one? I disagree. Even if we compare the whole cast of Dark Souls 1 to DkS3, I feel like there's very few bosses that stand up to Sulyvahn, Aldrich, Twin Princes, Champion Gundyr, Soul of Cinder and Nameless King

You forgot Boreal Dancer. She killed me a legit 19 times before I waited for a friend to sign on. Only then did it take us twice. Aldrich is also a stupid, badly designed, Bloodborne-y piece of poo poo too. Sulyvhan I was able to beat in 1 go with the NPC summon. Haven't got to Champ or Cinder or Nameless King though.

Mazed posted:

So do people here really find the bosses in this game easier that previous ones? This seems to be a complaint, going around threads and even dev interviews.

No. The majority of bosses are infinitely more difficult. DS 2 was at least consistent in boss design: two or three move sets to learn and dodge. Here in DS 3, it's far too varied, and bosses can chain movesets together (god drat Boreal Dancer :argh: ) I just got into Lothric Castle after being destroyed by Aldritch, and I'm also running headlong into a brick wall here. Nothing like the exact same looking monsters as outside the castle, only now they're 3x as powerful.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 15, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So do people here really find the bosses in this game easier than previous ones? This seems to be a complaint, going around threads and even dev interviews.

They seem quite a bit trickier to me, as having multiple phases gives you lots more things to keep track of rather than a single set of moves, as well as their tendency to have extra enemies of some kind. It's both reasons why Ornstein & Smough was considered one of the hardest fights in the first game, and now they're using that as their base metric.

Mind, this isn't remotely a bad thing. It leads to moments like finally realizing what's going on with the Cursed Greatwood and the Deacons.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

longsword is one of the best weapons. especially for pve.

imo the final bosses heavily disfavor the heavy weapons. carthus curved sword on a dex build is omega easy mode

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

Tell me, is the standard reinforced longsword really that good? What do I use to field a properly built STR build?

The lack of player poise and fast enemies with long combos sadly makes fast weapons the best for pve, så straight swords, katanas and thrusting swords will feel far better than most other weapons, since they combine good reach and fast hitting. That said, Great swords, ultra great swords, great axes and certain halberds like winged knights, gundyrs and black knight halberd, can be extremely fun. But they take some getting used to in pve.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm not good enough at these games to PvP, so I don't bother. If I'm ever invaded, I PS2 button > Close application because gently caress them and their stupid gimmicky build or whatever.

It's like a PvE geared raider doing a battleground against PvP geared, except I can't swap specs on the fly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From somehow managed to make the caestus deal no extra damage on a hornet ring backstab :psyduck:

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm not good enough at these games to PvP, so I don't bother. If I'm ever invaded, I PS2 button > Close application because gently caress them and their stupid gimmicky build or whatever.

It's like a PvE geared raider doing a battleground against PvP geared, except I can't swap specs on the fly.

Your PvE build is actually perfectly fine for PvP in most cases.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

No. The majority of bosses are infinitely more difficult. DS 2 was at least consistent in boss design: two or three move sets to learn and dodge. Here in DS 3, it's far too varied, and bosses can chain movesets together (god drat Boreal Dancer :argh: ) I just got into Lothric Castle after being destroyed by Aldritch, and I'm also running headlong into a brick wall here. Nothing like the exact same looking monsters as outside the castle, only now they're 3x as powerful.

That's exactly what made some of DS2's bosses so boring, though, especially because so many of them had basically the same kind of moves, just with different weapons. DS2 gained some great bosses in the DLC but has few great ones in the core game, in my opinion.

I never felt too much like DS3's bosses were un-learnable. Nameless King could be a little nasty in that he has a follow-up attack that he can sometimes do after attacks that are otherwise openings, but honestly that's not too different from Artorias's "am I going to flip once, twice, or three times?" move so it didn't bother me that much. I probably would've loved NK if it weren't for having to fight the dragon chicken every time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

What is the best magic type? I'm going to be doing a new playthrough and I need a good magic PvE build.

Also, I'm really glad that the game didn't force you to New Game+ when you beat the final boss. I still got my halberd character waiting around for the DLC.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

If you want to learn pvp, try doing some aldrich fatefull around lvl 50-70. It has no risk for you and you might have a helper, which evens the odds against hosts that summons. For the easiest pvp take a straight sword, an estoc and a crossbow in your mainhand. You will quickly find that a lot of pvp'ers are not that good and it will make getting invaded far easier, since most invaders are not doing some optimised pvp build, but rather just use their favorite weapon or do gimmicks. I am by no means a good pvp player and I can win most of the time I'm invaded.

DoubleCakes posted:

What is the best magic type? I'm going to be doing a new playthrough and I need a good magic PvE build.

Also, I'm really glad that the game didn't force you to New Game+ when you beat the final boss. I still got my halberd character waiting around for the DLC.

Most of NG pyromancy followed by sorcery (if you invest heavely in int). A few miracles works very good by endgame or ng+

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Pyromancy gets off the ground the fastest and stays good throughout. Sorcery takes a long time to get going (you need a ton of Intelligence to start getting good damage) but can chump the late-game if you really commit. Miracles shouldn't be used as a primary damage source, even if you're a full-Faith build.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've never done much PVP in Souls games but I've really come around with this one. Mound makers is just way too much fun.

Plus you can switch covs on the fly so I can purple up while exploring and trolling, and then sun bro for bosses.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

And I finally got my 30 proof of concord. I am both glad and mad about the Steam fix working. It's ridiculous that getting summoned is somehow tied to your steam account, but it has been fun getting summoned, even if it required me to set up a new account with family sharing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Pyro is by FAR the best. At the cost of investing in both int/fth. It's insanely strong. A raw longsword handles melee fine and when you can chaos infuse then you will murder 99% of enemies that are not fire demons.

Bonus you can have a backup staff and some sorcery for those fights since you have good int already.

But seriously this game is weak against fire.

Here my in NG+ fighting the Dancer as soon as I could.
https://youtu.be/9hQGnl7seWs

Pyro is so fun.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2016

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mazed posted:

So do people here really find the bosses in this game easier than previous ones? This seems to be a complaint, going around threads and even dev interviews.

They seem quite a bit trickier to me, as having multiple phases gives you lots more things to keep track of rather than a single set of moves, as well as their tendency to have extra enemies of some kind. It's both reasons why Ornstein & Smough was considered one of the hardest fights in the first game, and now they're using that as their base metric.

Mind, this isn't remotely a bad thing. It leads to moments like finally realizing what's going on with the Cursed Greatwood and the Deacons.
A lot of bosses are easy to cheese with specific builds. A good melee weapon will tear through abyss watcher, and the dancer and aldrich were more then happy to slowly shamble around the room while I flung fireballs at them. Depending on your playstyle youre bound to make at least one bossfight trivial. If anything else, rotting greatwood is a joke if you have any ranged attacks at all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I want to play a souls-like game except that the player character is present during one of the great actiony big-budget wars and everything isn't dead or dying and decaying

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Are you serious?

You are aren't you.

After getting my AGS lightning enchanted and getting Faith to 34, I'm not nearly as unstoppable as I thought I'd be. On a weapon with S scaling in faith, I thought a lightning infusion would be exceptional, but it really isn't. Sure, it's an ultra greatsword so it hurts, but only because it's an ultra greatsword. I find my survivability goes up several times over when I use a shield and sword. I'm just not good enough to roll without one and try two handing a great sword.

Longsword is best for elemental infusions i think as far as straightswords go.
If you just care about PVE then heavy dark sword is fine for a STR build. Just lug it and whatever greatshield you prefer to have a really easy time through the entire game. When you face lightning damage bosses the best greatshield is the dragonslayer greatshield. Its really heavy so its mostly situational for those fights though.
Other good STR weapons are black knight greataxe(has high dex reqs though), Dragonslayer Greataxe(getting it means losing out on the shield so not recomended getting it), Morne's Great Hammer(good for a mixed str/faith build)

DoubleCakes posted:

If you want to just go pew pew magic build then sorcery. Use pyro hand for pyromancy, izalith staff for dark magic and Court Sorcerer's Staff for sorcery. Basically just use the 3 elements as the situation requires. Your main damage type is sorcery but since some stuff can be resistant it and fire so sometimes you need dark too. Some stuff are most weak to fire so its useful too situationally. Keep in mind that aldritch faithful covenant has a good PVE dark spell so i recomend doing that until you get it. It just needs 10 tokens and its a really easy covenant to farm so its not a big deal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bet a lot of the people who think the bosses are easier are probably breezing through the game using one of the completely imbalanced straight swords.

The older games had their handful of challenging fights but there were way more dud bosses. At least in DS3 even the easy bosses have a few cool tricks.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The ultraweapons, if you pick a good one, aren't bad PVE as far as mobs go especially if you're good at dead-reckoning your weapon range. It seems like enemy hyperarmor also works on a right-of-way system during PVE at least, since I can't interrupt the Drakeblood Knight attacks with an brigand axe but I can with Yhorm's Great Machete and stuff like that goes a long way towards making it viable and fun imho.

It's the bosses that aren't forgiving of that style since they're fast and win trades.

Mazed posted:

I think the issue is that there seems to be mostly one kind of boss on the whole, the mobile, fast, semi-unpredictable kind. If you're good at those then the game's bosses will be a cakewalk, and if you're not, then you have the whole game to practice getting good because it's not like they throw a Smelter Demon or Velstadt at you to throw off your sense of pacing. A lot of bosses don't really bait early rolls and mostly catch you with an unpredictable, extra 4th hit -just rolling when it looks like they're about to attack is enough unless you've already committed to a swing The bosses could be challenging if you doggedly opt to stick to your ultraweapons since to have to commit early to get anything done but there's no incentive to considering how good the quick weapons are.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sounds like I'm going pyro this playthrough then. Thanks guys. It's exciting because in the dozen times I've played through the Souls games I've never done Pyromancer.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKPdD4eaU1g
Is a PvP build dumb if it works? Look at that equipment weight

Internet Kraken posted:

I bet a lot of the people who think the bosses are easier are probably breezing through the game using one of the completely imbalanced straight swords.

Went Uchigatana (fire), 27 Vitality, 100% shield the first time through. Still feeling the bosses were all about learning them, less instagibbed because not enough stats frustrations like Bloodborne which is like the reason I don't do sl1/4/10 playthroughs.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Internet Kraken posted:

The older games had their handful of challenging fights but there were way more dud bosses. At least in DS3 even the easy bosses have a few cool tricks.

I got through some bosses p easy because I doubled down on Luck (I was fully expecting the stat to be useless) and the bleed does crazy work through some guys. I do appreciate they varied up bosses with some more gimmicks this time, certainly made it more interesting than the "stab ankles till dead" approach that was more common in the earlier entries.

Also someone said it before and they were right: later enemies that look near identical to earlier enemies but that do way more damage was hella confusing. Sometimes you get a little heads up (usually their eyes glowed red) but the tall hollows in Lothric castle hosed me up the first time because I figured they'd be pushovers by now. Just something like different colored armor would have gone a long way to help make the distinction a little more clear.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Some time ago, I sent Greirat to Iryllith to pillage.

He hasn't returned and I've destroyed Sulyvhan.

Where do I get his corpse/ashes so I can buy the poo poo he sold?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

Some time ago, I sent Greirat to Iryllith to pillage.

He hasn't returned and I've destroyed Sulyvhan.

Where do I get his corpse/ashes so I can buy the poo poo he sold?

It's in the river tunnel with all the spiders.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WarpedLichen posted:

It's in the river tunnel with all the spiders.

I only guessed he was dead :(

Do you mean that sewer area that leads to Siegward?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lite_sleepr posted:

I only guessed he was dead :(

Do you mean that sewer area that leads to Siegward?

If siegward was there he should be alive

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I made some videos chronicling the quests in this game, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHUIZYzc3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rl-d3CmtQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk44T0xL_xA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOCO3beh5k

The Lord of Hollows video is a new thing I made by putting together a few pre-existing videos on my channel - the most popular of which was the Anri stuff that I shared in this thread a while ago.

I didn't really set out to make these as I was playing the game, I just recorded notable things after the fact, so occasionally some incidental dialogue that furthers the quest from a previously unrelated NPC like Ludleth or whoever will get cut short, but other than that they're fairly complete. I hope somebody enjoys them!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

hard counter posted:

The ultraweapons, if you pick a good one, aren't bad PVE as far as mobs go especially if you're good at dead-reckoning your weapon range. It seems like enemy hyperarmor also works on a right-of-way system during PVE at least, since I can't interrupt the Drakeblood Knight attacks with an brigand axe but I can with Yhorm's Great Machete and stuff like that goes a long way towards making it viable and fun imho.

It's the bosses that aren't forgiving of that style since they're fast and win trades.

I think the issue is that there seems to be mostly one kind of boss on the whole, the mobile, fast, semi-unpredictable kind. If you're good at those then the game's bosses will be a cakewalk, and if you're not, then you have the whole game to practice getting good because it's not like they throw a Smelter Demon or Velstadt at you to throw off your sense of pacing. A lot of bosses don't really bait early rolls and mostly catch you with an unpredictable, extra 4th hit -just rolling when it looks like they're about to attack is enough unless you've already committed to a swing The bosses could be challenging if you doggedly opt to stick to your ultraweapons since to have to commit early to get anything done but there's no incentive to considering how good the quick weapons are.
This is exactly it. I always get a little annoyed at "no actually this boss is really easy" discussions because often, the participating people seem to complete forget the simple fact that different players are good at different things. I can only shake my head when someone says "this boss is like objectively easy because he has a clear pattern" because I suck at patterns, I always have, so while the boss has objectively a pattern, this makes it subjectively far harder for me. It's not something I will ever learn. The longer a boss takes, the more impatient I will become, and when THE tactic for the boss is "do exactly this when he does this and do that when he does that", I will mix up this and that at some point and get hit and often that's bad. That's why I would never do an SL1 run, I need room for errors. I will commit them.
I respect if you have the concentration and discipline to never dodge backwards when you see Nameless King go for his stab, or always keep your finger off the R1 when he seems to be finished with a combo but you know he might do a fourth strike. It's just not something I'm good at learning. On the other hand, twitchy bosses are great for me because I tend to be twitchy myself. I had a surprisingly easy time with the DS3 bosses as compared to the DS2 bosses because most of them played exactly to my strengths, not because they are objectively easier. Also, I'm the best at Dark Souls I ever was. Someone earlier was complaining that the bosses were a nightmare for him because he really wants to master a boss and DS3 bosses have millions of moves and are really quick and poo poo and that's true and I can understand his problem perfectly - why would I criticize that? It's a terrible thing to claim "actually you might just be bad hurgh" in those kind of discussions. Though I would not go too far into the other direction and say everybody's complaints are always valid, because a boss giving you insane amounts of trouble does not mean they are badly designed. It's sadly just not for your skillset, and I understand how painful that is, I got stuck on so many bosses in DS1 and DS2.

Basically, I'd like to see less condescending "git gud" poo poo and more helpful advice. I sure as hell had an easier time with O&S when I switched away from fatrolling with a greatshield and the Black Knight UGS, and that is definitely something everyone can change with their playstyle. "lol I beat NK with a Gargoyle Flame Hammer what is your problem man???" is true (if I said it), but it's so worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been using a Claymore/Flamberge since past Vordt primarily. Plus I'm not up to the hardcore "Oh my loving god" bosses yet. So I can only chime in on the first 3/4 of the game as I procrastinate on actually taking on the Dancer with my trusty Flamberge.

But I still had to put effort in with my wildly spiraling top of "What is my skill level today?" so far, even if up to now the most tries I've needed was Aldritch, and then mostly due to the patch lag spikes deciding "Nope. you don't escape the rain+kamehamehas" loving me over.

But it's easy to see how some builds and players would have more or less trouble than others. I did a lot of Subroing on Crystal Sage and Deacons (Not like I have the faith for the rewards, I just wanted to). And I had the self awareness to realize that those so called "Easy" bosses could be a loving nightmare for certain players even if they were way better at Darksouls than I am, or even just an unwillingness to adjust your fashion. (Hey I'm going to put on these sorcerer's robes for the boss with nothing but magic attacks, You're just going to stick with you Guts cosplay? Okay then).

Every time I was summoned by some poor bastard trying to run an Archer build, or "Pure sorcerer", on Crystal Sage or Pontif, I knew they deserved the leg up.

When people with huge slow weapons showed up for Crystal, they could have some issues due to his habit of just teleporting away once you started hitting him. I got good at waiting for them to get close so we could both deal a nice chunk of damage, instead of hitting them ASAP and having them teleport away right before the host could hit them.

People sporting Vanilla rapiers (god bless em), or spears for Deacons would have been super hosed alone with those weapons. Even heavy pyromancers were usually hosed. "Oh I see you brought chaos fire orb. Good job at it splashing against the outer edge of the horde!" While my casual rear end could clean house with a +2 Raw flamberge just due to it's size.

NK disclaimer: I had Siggy, but with how much I was dancing around him (but still garbage at ever swinging anywhere near his head), I'd figure I'd have a much worse time solo just because you need a ten hour window to charge your gimmick weapon.

Aldritch would possibly one of the biggest cases of "A single summon will turn this shitshow right around", because then someone would always be allowed to attack him while that arrow rain is wasting your loving time.

I love the Abyss watcher on principle as much as anything. Bosses who play by the rules are a wonderful experience and I can't badmouth any boss with the balls to have backstabs enabled on them. But I've fought Gwyn, and I would not be surprised if those not familiar with such things would be way more hosed in the second phase busting out the fire sword if you had no idea it was coming.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 15, 2016