Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Maha posted:

Okay, I'm finding myself with a lot of options on my Fire/Ice DE blaster. A couple questions:
- how does Sublimation of Blood compare with a crystal ball of energy for MP regen options?
- does Ozocubu's Armour really lower move speed?
- is a +3 iron rod any good? (Maybe after I train Evocations for the crystal ball?)

The enchantment on a rod doesn't affect its strength, only its mana regeneration rate. The Iron Rod costs 6 mana a pop, so anything with 12 or more max mana is really good.

I wouldn't train evo just for that, although if you also have a Crystal Ball it's probably worthwhile. Use it on targets with low AC to instantly blow them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Just turned in a 12 rune win. :sigh: Would've been 15, but I was getting nervous to continue given constant Lom/Cerebov harrassment and

quote:

You have an uncontrollable temper.
Scrolls take you longer to read.
Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage.
You are dopey. (Int -2)
You are extremely frail (-30% HP).
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You regenerate slowly when monsters are visible.
You are occasionally teleported next to monsters.
You are weak. (Str -2)
Your spells are easier to cast, but less powerful.
You expend magic power (3 MP) to strengthen your wands.

I was told there would be more cure mut potions. :argh: I found two this whole run, and I think maybe 3-4 total this entire tournament so far.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Can boulder beetles not roll into shallow water? I had one standing at the edge of a pool while my merfolk poked him and my oklob shot him. I think 2 or 3 times he started rolling and then immediately stopped because of the water.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That was probably my dumbest death ever.. I had 11 runes and wanted to do a few zig floors before grabbing the orb. I zoned out and was dead to two bennus on Zig:7 before I realized what was going on. I had already cleared Tomb without any trouble ffs

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've had very little luck in terms of truly outstanding gear, but this ring that I found on D4 as a HeFe is really, really quite a thing, especially to find in the early game:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

D1: a dented jade amulet, a dented jasper amulet. 2 tiles away from each other.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

resistentialism posted:

D1: a dented jade amulet, a dented jasper amulet. 2 tiles away from each other.

i wish dented x amulets had a higher chance to be cursed because the last guy chucked that poo poo on the floor as soon as he found a remove curse scroll

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Can boulder beetles not roll into shallow water? I had one standing at the edge of a pool while my merfolk poked him and my oklob shot him. I think 2 or 3 times he started rolling and then immediately stopped because of the water.

code:
    // Boulders stop at lava/water to prevent unusual behaviour;
    // skimming across the water like a pebble could be justifiable, but
    // it raises too many questions.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The game spawned the Cloak of the Thief and the Wrath of Trog... again.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I wish there was a portable way to stick the mark effect on yourself. I found an alarm trap at the elf3 vault entrance, standing on it let me clear the entire vault in a flash.

If scrolls of noise marked you, they would be way more dangerous to read id and I might actually use 1-2 after I've id'ed them. Win-win IMO.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Darox posted:

I wish there was a portable way to stick the mark effect on yourself. I found an alarm trap at the elf3 vault entrance, standing on it let me clear the entire vault in a flash.

If scrolls of noise marked you, they would be way more dangerous to read id and I might actually use 1-2 after I've id'ed them. Win-win IMO.

ABWQ

Always
Be
Worshipping
Qazlal

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

foot posted:

ABWQ

Always
Be
Worshipping
Qazlal

This post is too real

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Up to 10 runes, which is as many as I have ever gotten. Gonna take my first run at Pan. Read the wiki. Anyone have any advice?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Thalamas/Thalamas.txt

code:
Thalamas the Bringer of Light (Minotaur Hunter)   Turns: 114578, Time: 10:29:15

Health: 273/273    AC: 51    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 23    Int: 11    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   12826      SH: 25    Dex: 28    Spells: 4 memorised, 20 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    n - +9 broad axe (holy)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    a - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    s - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    g - +2 hat
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    k - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    h - +0 pair of gloves of Shadows and Fog {rC++ Regen+ Slay+3}
SustAt +          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    U - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               S - ring "Sozxeus" {+Inv rF+ rC+ MP-9 Dex+10}
                                H - ring "Pogiej" {rCorr rF+ Stlth+}

@: flying, glowing, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, low mp 1, screaming 1
a: Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility, Stop Flying
}: 10/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal
And yes, I'm very slow. No idea how people finish with 15 runes in like 2 hours.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Darox posted:

Every time this gets brought up it basically comes down to mark being too powerful when you get to use it on your own terms; you basically get killholes on steroids.

It wouldn't hurt to have marking items/abilities as an experimental feature though, conveniently placed alarm traps are too rare so you don't get to mess around with them very much.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thalamas posted:

Up to 10 runes, which is as many as I have ever gotten. Gonna take my first run at Pan. Read the wiki. Anyone have any advice?

don't read the wiki

also, hell and tomb are both harder than pan, usually. don't panic and you'll be fine

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pan is not very hard except you should respect pan lords, because the non-random ones are fairly dangerous and the random ones can sometimes randomly be super dangerous

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Getting the Vow of Courage 3 banner has taught me just how much xp depths provides. It was worrying realising I had cleared everything I could and was still only xl24 going into vaults 5 & hell.
Luckily it also taught me that 12ac 15ev 7sh is more than enough defence for clearing hells.

e: Pan is the hardest extended imo, it's really potentially nasty. The unique lords are all as dangerous as hell lords, the random spawn pools & high spawn rates can get really nasty, and you enter every level in a random place, potentially inside a nasty lord vault. Hell is a lot more sedate and Tomb can be taken much slower, Pan is just mean.

Darox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 16, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Thalamas posted:

Be willing to reset fights against the pan lords with Tele if things aren't going well. Don't over-commit to those fights.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hell is the hardest Extended branch if your character relies on bursting through combats, as Hell effects will eventually catch you at a bad time while you recover.

Pan is the hardest Extended branch if you are not well rounded, as there is enough of everything to find a hole in your defenses (or offenses) and exploit it while you cannot go back to the rest of the dungeon to fix it.

Tomb is the hardest Extended branch if you don't have the patience to take it seriously and never take a risk, as you will be immediately punished for trying to rush through it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Pan Pro Tip: Cerebov always has a brimstone fiend spawn somewhere near him. Watch out for it, it's a really dangerous bodyguard.

Floodkiller posted:

Hell is the hardest Extended branch if your character relies on bursting through combats, as Hell effects will eventually catch you at a bad time while you recover.

Pan is the hardest Extended branch if you are not well rounded, as there is enough of everything to find a hole in your defenses (or offenses) and exploit it while you cannot go back to the rest of the dungeon to fix it.

Tomb is the hardest Extended branch if you don't have the patience to take it seriously and never take a risk, as you will be immediately punished for trying to rush through it.

Hell isn't that bad for recovery and even if you do run into trouble most of floors 1-6 are pretty safe to teleport into and upstairs are an immediate exit out. Even with just regeneration you're pretty much set, TSO heals are more than enough to keep you going.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
btw, @PF: I was skimming through annuv.rtf and saw under possible enemies "orc trainer: temporarily promotes basic orcs to warriors, warriors to knights, priests...? (no bonus xp)" and I think 'orc veteran' or 'orc drill sergeant' would be a better name. although gnoll sergeants already exist, but they could be renamed.

also probably could be merged with the weaponmaster idea, give orcs better weapons at the same time as temporarily promoting them so an orc warrior isn't attacking you with a dagger or his fists or whatever

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

btw, @PF: I was skimming through annuv.rtf and saw under possible enemies "orc trainer: temporarily promotes basic orcs to warriors, warriors to knights, priests...? (no bonus xp)" and I think 'orc veteran' or 'orc drill sergeant' would be a better name. although gnoll sergeants already exist, but they could be renamed.

also probably could be merged with the weaponmaster idea, give orcs better weapons at the same time as temporarily promoting them so an orc warrior isn't attacking you with a dagger or his fists or whatever

that whole section probably isn't gonna happen - the shortening of orc to 2 floors kind of pre-empted it, i think. i'm mostly keeping the notes around so that i can re-use them for later projects.

ty for the suggestions, tho! i've noted them down.

it's always funny when someone comments on those notes - i don't really think of them as public, even though i was the one who added the public link to them. hopefully i didn't leave anything too embarrassing in there...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
At least one thing near that orc bit(I think it said lower things are less likely/important?) which I think legit deserves to be in is "frozen -> -swift?" because for probably a week or two I had no idea what exactly frozen did, and then after that I thought it lowered all speed, not just movement, and only just recently did I learn that it only affects movement speed. With a line like "the whatever chills you and reduces your movement speed!" instead of "freezes you solid" or whatever it is now, and "-Swift" as the status below my HP and stuff I think I'd get it a lot faster. (also wouldn't make me think things like "would getting hit by fire damage cure this? or do extra damage? if I'm frozen solid could LRD work on me?" or the first time I was frozen "is this an effect like petrification which totally stops me but takes a few turns to kick in?")

This is something that largely revolves around me being a moron/impatient, but I think I'm a moron/impatient in mostly the same ways that much of crawl's playerbase is. (like not knowing/forgetting how to check monster spells)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

At least one thing near that orc bit(I think it said lower things are less likely/important?) which I think legit deserves to be in is "frozen -> -swift?" because for probably a week or two I had no idea what exactly frozen did, and then after that I thought it lowered all speed, not just movement, and only just recently did I learn that it only affects movement speed. With a line like "the whatever chills you and reduces your movement speed!" instead of "freezes you solid" or whatever it is now, and "-Swift" as the status below my HP and stuff I think I'd get it a lot faster. (also wouldn't make me think things like "would getting hit by fire damage cure this? or do extra damage? if I'm frozen solid could LRD work on me?" or the first time I was frozen "is this an effect like petrification which totally stops me but takes a few turns to kick in?")

This is something that largely revolves around me being a moron/impatient, but I think I'm a moron/impatient in mostly the same ways that much of crawl's playerbase is. (like not knowing/forgetting how to check monster spells)

yep

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

After finally having time to 15-rune my first character (MfGl that got Qaz from a faded altar), I decided to try the nchoice CeNe for the streak. I was planning on kiku -> chei, though a wand of hasting made the latter part less appealing. All going super well: found d:1 barding and enchanted it, made TLA, acquired usable -3 gloves (regen and Slay+5), have elec whip for now and broad axe for Kiku branding, when Sonja starts harassing me in Lair. I overestimate Pain, and get curared a lot. Still, finish her off with a wand of iceblast and see I am poisoned from 2 to 1. So I press 5, and die...

Because regen expired, making me no longer safe from poison.

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
+8 frozen axe "Frostbite" {freezing cloud, *Noise +Fly rC+}
-2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}

Both from okawaru on the same floor. Oh oka, you sure know how to make a girl feel special. My upcoming death should be spectacular.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Thalamas posted:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Thalamas/Thalamas.txt

code:
Thalamas the Bringer of Light (Minotaur Hunter)   Turns: 114578, Time: 10:29:15

Health: 273/273    AC: 51    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 23    Int: 11    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   12826      SH: 25    Dex: 28    Spells: 4 memorised, 20 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    n - +9 broad axe (holy)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    a - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    s - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    g - +2 hat
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    k - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    h - +0 pair of gloves of Shadows and Fog {rC++ Regen+ Slay+3}
SustAt +          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    U - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               S - ring "Sozxeus" {+Inv rF+ rC+ MP-9 Dex+10}
                                H - ring "Pogiej" {rCorr rF+ Stlth+}

@: flying, glowing, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, low mp 1, screaming 1
a: Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility, Stop Flying
}: 10/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal
And yes, I'm very slow. No idea how people finish with 15 runes in like 2 hours.

Pan is not hard and you are very strong. Pan can go wrong but you almost always have an out. Don't mash tab around pan lords and you should be fine.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 16, 2016

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
Now he adds a {+9 armour of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}. How the gently caress am I still alive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Would have been a nemelex choice but I was too slow. Oh well, easy 15 rune.

GhAK is really really good, because Ghoul is secretly bonkers and AK is pretty good too
other things that are really good:
+12 fire dragon armour of the Three Wishes {rPois rF++ rC- MR+}

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i think ive been playing this game too much, my first reaction to a D1 +4 chain mail was 'cant wait for D2 sigmund'

e: make that D4 sigmund

e2: D4 sigmund, edmund, and eustachio

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 16, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

God drat it. Popped into D9 with my level 10 Troll Assassin, got into 20-something gang of orcs (with their wizards/priests, gnolls (with their sergeant), and some guys with enchanted weapons. Killed all that bunch. Almost cleared the level.

Is MiFi still the newbie starter's pack combination in this game like a couple versions back?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MiBe might be even easier because you get Trog to start with, but MiFi of Okawaru is also nice because he will gift armor and weapons. (Trog only gifts weapons.)

E: I'm playing an MiWp right now and I'm liking it. The Minotaur's beefiness helps the start, and having Blink castable by mid-Lair is a nice oh poo poo button.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 16, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I just had a very good HOFi of Trog run. I mean, I got destroyed by slimy things when I could've easily won had I known what was coming for me, but still.

Time to try MiBe or MiFi of Okawaru.

Edit: Dex or Str on on level-ups?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2016

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Regen or +4 reflection as an amulet for a 112 HP/13 AC/25 EV/5 SH DE blaster?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The banners should be able to attach to your account year round, they're just cool.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kalstrams posted:

Edit: Dex or Str on on level-ups?
If you're MiBe? Always dex. You only need as much STR as the encumbrance on the heaviest armor you're gonna be wearing, and minotaurs start with plenty.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

If you're MiBe? Always dex. You only need as much STR as the encumbrance on the heaviest armor you're gonna be wearing, and minotaurs start with plenty.
MiBe/MiFi, alternating. MiFi seems to be a bit more fun.

Fighting 8-headed hydra and 10 yaks in Lair 1 - not so much. :(

Sounds like MiFi would also be always Dex if Str is above encumbrance is meaningless.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Maha posted:

Regen or +4 reflection as an amulet for a 112 HP/13 AC/25 EV/5 SH DE blaster?

Basically down to personal preference. I'm biased towards regen because it applies to a greater set of situations but in the midgame nearly doubling your SH score isn't a bad idea either.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I put reflection on whenever the reflection actually matters. Especially shoals, but also snake and vaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

resistentialism posted:

I put reflection on whenever the reflection actually matters. Especially shoals, but also snake and vaults.

Vaults is basically hilarious with reflection. You get to murder entire yaktaur packs while having a smoke.

• Locked thread