Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

It's interesting that you would assume that I was talking about me, but I was thinking more about Zephyrine in the context of this thread.

nobody has blamed zeph for a single mishap you backpedaling idiot

if you want to do the tee hee hee i wasn't talking about me you'll need to work harder than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

I honestly think that this thread, and the bulk of the last couple, are why the SA well ran dry for waffe. Get up in the morning and read the most recent few pages from overnight through the eyes of an outsider.

The SA well ran dry because SA doesn't have any fresh blood to speak of and everyone who had the slightest interest in Eve will have been and gone by now. It's not 2007 any more.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fix Lag posted:

Babby's first solo Ishtar kill.

He was bait and scrammed me, and a stratios and a proteus came in to help, but I burned him and outran his friends.

Is that a svipul? What's a svipul?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vando posted:

The SA well ran dry because SA doesn't have any fresh blood to speak of and everyone who had the slightest interest in Eve will have been and gone by now. It's not 2007 any more.

pretty much

waffe recruitment of genuinely new people from this thread has been pretty low for some time

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Despera posted:

Hey if hemorrhaging members and being ph bitch is your thing, by all means

If this is what you think is happening then sure! It totally is! Go about your business, citizen.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vando posted:

This seems obvious, yes. You'll still get some new SA guys but not large numbers compared to a decade or half-decade ago. For any older game, not just EVE.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vando posted:

If this is what you think is happening then sure! It totally is! Go about your business, citizen.

You ain't getting dek back anytime soon that's for sure

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

pmchem posted:

Is that a svipul? What's a svipul?

I don't know if you're trolling about Darius Johnson's Svipul comment but that's a Stratios, which is a faction cruiser that can warp cloaked and kites like a monster. It's great for hunting ratters with.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fix Lag posted:

I don't know if you're trolling about Darius Johnson's Svipul comment but that's a Stratios, which is a faction cruiser that can warp cloaked and kites like a monster. It's great for hunting ratters with.

bit of both

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Despera posted:

Ok, deal. You can stop talking about it now.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Despera posted:

You are trying way too hard

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Thatim posted:

You are trying way too hard

Feels effortless to me

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Vando posted:

Nobody has called Zeph a traitor though? All I've seen is mockery of the grass-is-greener attitude which correct or not is only to be expected.

e: and mockery of the preciousness over MY ALTS I guess but that's also to be expected

The grass is anything but greener in the Horde.

The life of a hordeling is a brief and violent existence. But I like it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If you were hoping to huff up kaptain kickstarters latest eye roll worthy narrative in peace, well elysium is thattaway------>

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I'm really loving mad about this video game, personally

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

nobody has blamed zeph for a single mishap you backpedaling idiot

if you want to do the tee hee hee i wasn't talking about me you'll need to work harder than that

You can keep talking about how it must have been about me in some weird kind of self-fulfilling prophecy or you can accept what I say when I try to reassure you that I meant the person who extracted hundreds of JF loads from Dek and then got royally shat on for her troubles (I think Zeph is a she) here and in Elysium. But I have to suggest to you that between the two of us I have a teensy suspicion that I know rather better what I meant than you do, and I've already tried to explain it to you in the simplest terms I know.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

You can keep talking about how it must have been about me in some weird kind of self-fulfilling prophecy or you can accept what I say when I try to reassure you that I meant the person who extracted hundreds of JF loads from Dek and then got royally shat on for her troubles (I think Zeph is a she) here and in Elysium. But I have to suggest to you that between the two of us I have a teensy suspicion that I know rather better what I meant than you do, and I've already tried to explain it to you in the simplest terms I know.

idk about anyone else but I poo poo on Zeph in this thread bc of the Real Dumb Opinions that were put on show after leaving

e: but it's cool to like Horde as a group of flailing newbies, I guess the grass tends to just fall over and set itself on fire a lot and that's ok

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Vando posted:

The key there is the bit about "the slightest interest". In this thread we manage to portray Eve in such a way that nobody sensible would have the slightest interest in playing it with us.

Vando posted:

idk about anyone else but I poo poo on Zeph in this thread bc of the Real Dumb Opinions that were put on show after leaving

And my original point was about how amazingly quickly everyone's opinions get dumb after they leave. Up until that point her apparently-dumb opinions were magnanimously tolerated.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

The key there is the bit about "the slightest interest". In this thread we manage to portray Eve in such a way that nobody sensible would have the slightest interest in playing it with us.

So you propose what? That mods should ban dissenters for the good of the thread? Well it's a novel approach, but I'm down with it.

Like, you act like it's GSF folk being dicks in here but that's purely a result of mixing Eve politics. The only way to stop that is to enforce an echo chamber which I don't think many non-GSF people will be pleased about.

Endie posted:

And my original point was about how amazingly quickly everyone's opinions get dumb after they leave. Up until that point her apparently-dumb opinions were magnanimously tolerated.
These opinions did not really manifest until leaving, that's the problem.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Vando posted:

So you agree that mods should ban dissenters for the good of the thread? Well it's a novel approach, but I'm down with it.

Like, you act like it's GSF folk being dicks in here but that's purely a result of mixing Eve politics. The only way to stop that is to enforce an echo chamber which I don't think many non-GSF people will be pleased about.

I am baffled where you get the idea that I agree with you that banning "dissenters" is what I suggested. I cannot think of anything I would think dumber. I didn't even think that you would think that, although the idea that I would be agreeing with you there seems to suggest it. Dissent from what? This is an SA thread where SA members talk about Eve. It's not some goonswarm/imperium thread from which one can "dissent".

And you're dumb if you think that me, a non-GSF member, saying "we manage to portray Eve in such a way that nobody sensible would have the slightest interest in playing it with us" means I am talking about someone else in the second or third person. I said "we" and I am not in GSF. Do the maths. I meant most of us.

Vando posted:

These opinions did not really manifest until leaving, that's the problem.

Those pesky crypto-dissenters.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

I am baffled where you get the idea that I agree with you that banning "dissenters" is what I suggested. I cannot think of anything I would think dumber. I didn't even think that you would think that, although the idea that I would be agreeing with you there seems to suggest it. Dissent from what? This is an SA thread where SA members talk about Eve. It's not some goonswarm/imperium thread from which one can "dissent".

And you're dumb if you think that me, a non-GSF member, saying "we manage to portray Eve in such a way that nobody sensible would have the slightest interest in playing it with us" means I am talking about someone else in the second or third person. I said "we" and I am not in GSF. Do the maths. I meant most of us.

Those pesky crypto-dissenters.

Then what do you propose? Or is this just an exasperated headshake at The State of Eve on SA?

In all honesty, I don't find the thread *that* bad, though I guess over the years I've accumulated a tolerance to Eve hurf. Like I accept that everyone wants to think their side is 'winning', I find it annoying when people try to cram definitions of what 'winning' is down everyone else's throat, but that's what happens when you have a game with no Game Over screen to tell you who won or lost in a neat, objective way. It's going to happen, some people are just more self-aware at the futility of their posting than others.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
It's not that far fetched. The reason Goons aren't going to Eve is because they tried it and realised what a bad game it is or they read this thread and saw what a bad game it is before trying it.

Anyway the point of this thread is not to siphon goons to Eve to put them to work in the content mines. It's to help Goons who might want to play Eve find the right place to do so. Quantity is insignificant. It's about finding the right place for those who are interested.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I'm one of those outsiders who's just interested in what's going on in eve and who's doing what. I honestly can't tell which side most of you are on because all I see is poo poo being flung every which way. I guess it's not that far off from real life politics and it's scary how toxic/caustic/bitter this game seems to make people.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Zephyrine posted:

Anyway the point of this thread is not to siphon goons to Eve to put them to work in the content mines. It's to help Goons who might want to play Eve find the right place to do so. Quantity is insignificant. It's about finding the right place for those who are interested.

The first page kinda does that job just fine, I guess maybe sticking a giant flashing "WARNING: IGNORE THE HURFING IDIOTS IN THIS THREAD, JUST ASK NEWBIE QUESTIONS AND THEY'LL DROP EVERYTHING AND HELP OUT" sign up there might help, idk.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's definitely an acquired taste. Some of us just love politics. If you don't there plenty of places politics free

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Ledenko posted:

I'm one of those outsiders who's just interested in what's going on in eve and who's doing what. I honestly can't tell which side most of you are on because all I see is poo poo being flung every which way. I guess it's not that far off from real life politics and it's scary how toxic/caustic/bitter this game seems to make people.

There's really not much happening in terms of banner headline news atm so I guess some people are searching for a Claimed Win lately and others are unhappy about that, at which point the only solution is an Honourable Terrible Posting Duel in which there are no winners and we are all collateral damage.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Vando posted:

Then what do you propose? Or is this just an exasperated headshake at The State of Eve on SA?

In all honesty, I don't find the thread *that* bad, though I guess over the years I've accumulated a tolerance to Eve hurf. Like I accept that everyone wants to think their side is 'winning', I find it annoying when people try to cram definitions of what 'winning' is down everyone else's throat, but that's what happens when you have a game with no Game Over screen to tell you who won or lost in a neat, objective way. It's going to happen, some people are just more self-aware at the futility of their posting than others.

Assuming you're seriously asking, then no: I'm fine with this thread being how it is: I post about a bunch of subjects on a bunch of different websites and this one has its place: it's really the only place I can see posts from Rhymo and Syndic and Rhoa and a bunch of other people whose posts I enjoy reading (there are others like Hendrick whose posts I enjoy but which I can read elsewhere). I do think I remember a "good old days" when the eve threads were more attractive to outsiders, but maybe they were always awful and I am kidding myself in my old age.

As regards your last sentence, I honestly don't think that posting is necessarily futile any more than is any other form of discourse.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Ledenko posted:

eve really is the best game to read about and never play

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Vando posted:

There's really not much happening in terms of banner headline news atm so I guess some people are searching for a Claimed Win lately and others are unhappy about that, at which point the only solution is an Honourable Terrible Posting Duel in which there are no winners and we are all collateral damage.

If you change the middle bit to be less loaded (say "so I guess some people on both sides are searching for a Claimed Inevitable Victory" for instance) then yeah, pretty much.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

Assuming you're seriously asking, then no: I'm fine with this thread being how it is: I post about a bunch of subjects on a bunch of different websites and this one has its place: it's really the only place I can see posts from Rhymo and Syndic and Rhoa and a bunch of other people whose posts I enjoy reading (there are others like Hendrick whose posts I enjoy but which I can read elsewhere). I do think I remember a "good old days" when the eve threads were more attractive to outsiders, but maybe they were always awful and I am kidding myself in my old age.

As regards your last sentence, I honestly don't think that posting is necessarily futile any more than is any other form of discourse.

I remember those days too: it was when (almost) all SA goons were part of GSF, and people from other entities rarely posted. That's why we can't have a thread like that any more: people will always bicker about trivial poo poo unless one side suppresses dissent.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

If you change the middle bit to be less loaded (say "so I guess some people on both sides are searching for a Claimed Inevitable Victory" for instance) then yeah, pretty much.

I'm pretty sure nobody on the GSF side is searching for a declared win right now. Unless 'not losing in the manner one's opponent desires' counts as a win? But that's pretty close to Not Winning Fast Enough territory so probably better left unsaid.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Endie posted:

I just want to say that's exactly how I saw it - GSF/CFC/IMP/fuckingbees are just as hurf as everyone else. We didn't care about sov anyway (yeah, I have an account in waffe I reactivated today because I wanted to experience fun firsthand), for example.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Ledenko posted:

I just want to say that's exactly how I saw it - GSF/CFC/IMP/fuckingbees are just as hurf as everyone else. We didn't care about sov anyway (yeah, I have an account in waffe I reactivated today because I wanted to experience fun firsthand), for example.

I'd really like everyone to move past the idea of sov defining an Eve entity because holy poo poo that hasn't been true since christ knows when. PL have been basically sovless for a decade and it doesn't seem to have hurt. Sov is a trophy that can be knocked out of your hands at any given moment, but not having it doesn't kill you.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Vando posted:

not having it doesn't kill you.

but... my ticks! my precious ticks!

Oh wait that group already bailed out. Good riddance.

Stuntcats look fun but it sort of reminds me of belt hunting in lowsec. Such endgame. As long as folks are having fun though who cares?

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Endie posted:

Come on, calling Theta "everything wrong with GSF" is a pretty dumb statement.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

zeph got shat on for dumb opinions, go find me one case where she got blamed for mishaps

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endie posted:

You can keep talking about how it must have been about me

Which mishap were you referring to? Because if we want to pretend it was about Zephrine your post makes no sense.
Also there was no crying traitor with her either; people simply pointed out that swapping to an alliance that is -10 standings and in an active sovwar gets you on a blacklist. You even posted to support that action in this thread, too!

The only people who you have consistently complained about being wrongfully accused are yourself and Blawrf.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
For a group that's supposedly having fun you are sure losing a lot of members

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Despera posted:

For a group that's supposedly having fun you are sure losing a lot of members

~culling the chaff~~~just ratters~~~trimming the fat~~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016
This thread becomes more and more like a reddit shitpost with every additional post.

• Locked thread