Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Dallas fort worth area changed theirs. It used to have the little menu for the month, and there'd be salad, cheese and crackers/chips and salsa, an entree, cookies, and beer and wine. They killed all the peripheral items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Terrible. Some Hampton Inns have breakfast made from scratch but those are SO hard to find. Most of the others obviously serve frozen food.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People have been talking and laughing loudly outside of my door at this Ramada all night and I can't sleep. Someone kill me.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Don't forget Swiss Chalet. My parents send me across the border on pilgrimage.

Not a huge fan of Swiss Chalet. I like Scores or St Hubert better, but those are usually only in Quebec.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KillHour posted:

People have been talking and laughing loudly outside of my door at this Ramada all night and I can't sleep. Someone kill me.

Tell them to shut up?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KillHour posted:

I always traveled with ear plugs for this very reason.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So ummm... have you guys ever stayed in hotels where people staying in multiple rooms just keep the doors open and shout across the hallway? Or maybe it's just a Chinese thing :ohdear:

Some airport hotels are great, they have deadened walls

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My barometer for a free breakfast is if they have oatmeal and fruit. If they can't bother to have the big cauldron of oatmeal, which costs no money, then gently caress that hotel. I don't need frozen bacon 4 days a week.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheWevel posted:

Same, a 200 pack on Amazon only costs a couple of bucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

So ummm... have you guys ever stayed in hotels where people staying in multiple rooms just keep the doors open and shout across the hallway? Or maybe it's just a Chinese thing :ohdear:

Some airport hotels are great, they have deadened walls

It's a travel group thing, happens with tour groups and college people too.

TheWevel posted:

Just make sure they don't block your alarm out too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Barry posted:

Tell them to shut up?

It's... not a nice neighborhood. This same guy threatened the person at the front desk when I checked in.

This is what happens when you get a $150/night budget for a hotel room just outside NYC.

Midjack posted:

Just make sure they don't block your alarm out too.

This is my fear.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Then it's probably time to tell your boss that you're not able to sleep well and feel threatened due to their cheapass travel policy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'll be sure to bring it up.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thoguh posted:

Same, a 200 pack on Amazon only costs a couple of bucks.

Some hotels will provide them too, like the Denver Downtown Aloft. It's also next to a strip club.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Here's a fun one. You're in your room when ISIS launches an attack with massive car bombs, and the coalition responds with over 60 bombs in 2 hours. And you can't put ear plugs in because if the gas alarms go off you have to get to the muster point with your SCBA.

That was fun.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you live in ham town you should just focus on not living in ham town

True that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hotel breakfast blows or is way overpriced. Get me to a half decent diner where I can get a couple of poached eggs and some toast.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hotel breakfast blows or is way overpriced. Get me to a half decent diner where I can get a couple of poached eggs and some toast.

I was on a healthy eating kick and thought to myself "Hey, lets just eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast! That will at least somewhat healthy!" and then I ate a hardboiled egg out of the fridge at a HIE and immediately forgot about that plan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It both blows and is overpriced usually, but if I can get a huge bowl of plain oatmeal, some gross coffee, and a banana I can make it through 8 hours off depositions without eating. But then I end up destroying something huge for dinner.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taco show posted:

Some hotels will provide them too, like the Denver Downtown Aloft. It's also next to a strip club.

The W in Fort Lauderdale provides condoms, unused of course :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any thoughts on spg properties in London and Paris?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just go to the nearest gas station or convenience store and buy a protein shake for breakfast 90% of the time. Breakfast is the easiest meal to not eat a bunch of lovely high calorie stuff while traveling.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also I'm about 90 minutes in to a 4 hour flight right now and in the row next to me the passenger with the aisle seat never showed up. The Asian lady sitting in the middle seat still hasn't moved. She's just chilling in the middle seat, boxing in the guy in the window. Who does that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
And we landed. She never moved out of that seat even after we got to the gate until it was time for our row to walk out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I just go to the nearest gas station or convenience store and buy a protein shake for breakfast 90% of the time. Breakfast is the easiest meal to not eat a bunch of lovely high calorie stuff while traveling.

That's a really lovely breakfast. Most of the gas station protein stuff is really terrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

That's a really lovely breakfast. Most of the gas station protein stuff is really terrible.

Meh, a muscle milk or something like that isn't going to make me swole but it is about 200 calories and keeps me full until lunchtime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Most of the gas station protein stuff is really terrible.

Even when it's not coming through a glory hole?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey you know when the worst time to travel is? When your company is between travel policies and the solution is apparently CFO and CEO approval for all international travel in the interim.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Man, the CEO really standing on the CFO's corner there. They must got beef.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

One is the nationality of the parent company, one isn't. Always fun. And why the US arm will likely be screwed in this new policy

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Forever this. Get me out of the hotel with its lovely breakfast (free or not) and to a place where there is someone back there actually cooking food that isn't pre-formed and/or sitting in a warmer for hours.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is my fear.
YMMV but I've found ear plugs provide me some white noise and block out harsh sounds, but something loud and close, like an alarm, will still get through. But annoyingness in the hallway or outside doesn't.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

This is my fear.
Earplugs for me have been enough to block out street noise, noisy neighbors, and loud HVAC units, but my iPad alarm is loud enough to wake me up without a problem.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Four Seaons and Grand Hyatt serve wonderful breakfast

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have travel policies where they do not reimburse breakfast if the hotel provides it?

In theory our per diem is reduced by 20% but the steps to enter that there was breakfast are so involved that I can easily plead ignorance.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Our per diem/hotel rules used to be that we'd just get the GSA rate given to us to use as we see fit. It resulted in a lot of government employees claiming $147/hotel and then sleeping on friend's couches, in their rental cars, etc. You'd have to tell them what hotel you stayed at but no receipts necessary. Now we have submit zero balance receipts.

I believe I'd flip my poo poo if accounting reduced my per diem by 20% because the hotel might have had frozen croissants for breakfast. Penny wise pound foolish.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

Does anyone have travel policies where they do not reimburse breakfast if the hotel provides it?

In theory our per diem is reduced by 20% but the steps to enter that there was breakfast are so involved that I can easily plead ignorance.

My company does this, in a way. They will reduce per diem if any/all meals are provided for a day, but it's all on the honor system. Apparently it's something they put in place relatively recently (but before I got here) and the old timers I've talked to just laughed at it and collectively said what amounts to "maybe they can get you newbies to do that, but as far as I'm concerned I never have any meals provided".

The only time I'll ever tell them that my meals were provided are meetings providing meals that I'm attending with management that approve my expense reports, or if my manager pays for my meal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Our per diem for breakfast is some garbage tier amount like $12 but then dinner is $35~$50 depending on city so I end up eating a lot of leftovers for breakfast.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
$30 is my per diem full stop. :(

e: we are allowed to forego per diem and expense our meals up to a nebulous "reasonable" amount, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to keep track of and submit a bunch of meal receipts

Noctone fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Holy poo poo if you don't have precheck and you're flying ORD tonight, good loving luck. Lines are three deep OUTSIDE of the security ropes and span the entire length of the terminal.