Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Random protip for using curved swords. They're really good at roll catching. After hitting someone you can take a step forward and then press r1 and if they're just panic rolling you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them out of their roll. I've done 1000+ damage to people by doing this repeatedly, it ought to be highly effective at lower levels.

I'll try to focus on that then, it did seem fairly effective whenever I did it.

I'd feel bad for using this weapons since it's apparently real strong in PvP but after suffering the pain of trying to kill people with Lightning Spears I have no mercy. At least it's not a Dark Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CCS is more powerful than dark sword but isn't as popular amonst ppl who google 'best dark souls 3 weapon'

the exile greatsword is also a monstrous roll-catcher

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gologle posted:

So Tallgeese, found out what poise does?

Sorry; I got distracted by sunvasion making its gloriously incandescent return, bigger and better than ever.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

CCS is more powerful than dark sword but isn't as popular amonst ppl who google 'best dark souls 3 weapon'

What's CCS? Cleric's Candlestick?

Edit: Oh, Carthus Curved Sword.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Random protip for using curved swords. They're really good at roll catching. After hitting someone you can take a step forward and then press r1 and if they're just panic rolling you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them out of their roll. I've done 1000+ damage to people by doing this repeatedly, it ought to be highly effective at lower levels.

Yeah I noticed this as I spent ages PvPing with the sellsword twinblades today, it's amazing. Also the running L1 is extremely good for catching roll spam as the two hits are slightly delayed so it gives a massive window in which you can catch them with hits. You just run so you're humping them during your roll and time your L1 even a little bit and it usually scores at least 1 hit.

I thought that R1 L2 R1 was supposed to be a true combo with these things but I've had people roll out of it, I guess you need a nice deep hit on the R1 since the range on the L2 is quite short, R1 L1 is a much easier combo though and the R1 is slow enough to hit confirm on so it's all good.

I still can't decide if I enjoy using these more than other strong popular picks (CCS, Anri's, BKG + friends, etc.) but the fact that I'm saving a ton of points that I would usually put in strength is a nice bonus. It does feel like I have a harder time vs cagey heavy weapons users (especially halberdiers) in exchange for being able to punish sloppy play with straight swords etc. better, since most people seem to be lovely and just spam fast weapons it's scoring me a lot of kills.

E:

Although I think that the general way that DS3 PvP is played is objectively worse than DS2 (insane amount of spam, rolling more OP than ever before) I'm still having a lot of fun and most weapon types have at least one weapon which is extremely competitive. Only a few weapons feel overtuned and for the most part the weaker weapons could just use a bit more damage (except claws, holy poo poo that moveset is bad). I'm glad I have run into very few great shield users though, that poo poo is basically unbeatable if they're willing to play safe enough.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 15, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah but about 66% of the people I fought today were using Dark Swords

One cool guy was using a Scythe though

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Minimalist Program posted:

I kinda hope that FROM eventually fixes the matchmaking queue stuff (apparently it's somehow tied to account age? My steam account is 12 years old and I've gotten exactly 0 autosummons after 42 hours of play time). It's amazing to me that a game like Dark Souls 3 can sell 8 million copies and still the company making it doesn't have software engineers and coding capacity enough to properly understand how to integrate their game with steam or do proper QA. That poo poo would not fly in my industry lol.
It's not account age. My account was made the night steam went live and I have a handful on a variety of characters/builds across a bunch of different level ranges. Not "30 ears" handfuls, but I am definitely getting summoned.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

I unlocked Seigward from that cell. Still no Greirat.

If you unlocked Siegward from the cell in Irithyl Dungeon, you have advanced Siegwards story to far for him to save Greirat in Irithyl town.

Kiggles posted:

It's not account age. My account was made the night steam went live and I have a handful on a variety of characters/builds across a bunch of different level ranges. Not "30 ears" handfuls, but I am definitely getting summoned.

I get summoned on my main account too and was able to grind out watchdogs there, though over almost 10 hours I still got less than 30 summons, and blue cops was less than 10 over over a 100 hours on different characters. I made a new steam account today and was able to get 30 proof of concord in a couple of hours, while the summoning wasn't as fast as Aldrich, I still didn't have to wait more than 10min at the longest on the new account. I'm not saying it's the age of the account that matters, but auto summoning is in some form tied to your account.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What makes the Darkwraith sword so popular in comparison to the Longsword?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
more damage when infused with heavy

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone on peasant class ps4 who can hook a dude up with some end game dual wielded weapons?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

it gets insane damage on a str build if you infuse it with heavy and has a bit more reach.

more than that though it kind of just snowballed out of control because a lot of articles were written about "woah best sword in dark souls" early on even though thats not true and now people google that and gun for the darkness blade

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The family shared account sounds tempting because I've spent a total of probably 20 goddamn hours with the sentinel badge on with 0 bites, but I wonder if it makes you more likely to get invaded too

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does crossbow/bow damage still count as Thrust damage for Leo Ring purposes?

Edit: Yes. I was looking at the crossbow itself instead of the bolts.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my favorite thing about the new silent patch is the lag spike every 30 seconds

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Domattee posted:

The consoles are affected by the same issue, it's FROMs serverside matchmaking that is loving up. Making a new account just puts you in a different position in the matchmaking system that is (hopefully) more likely to get matched.

Well if it affects PS4 and the Japanese market, then consoles might see a fix and hopefully that fix applies to the PC market too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I had no luck with just making a new PSN account, but I'd like to see someone else try.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I know weapons with innate Bleed get very little from Bleed infusion, something like going from 33/34 - 40 only, is it the same with using Carthus Rouge on them i.e. not worth it?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Stamina usage, sweep, and speed of a straight sword with the reach and damage of a greatsword, it's noobstick 101, it's like the new drakesword except more so because it never falls off midway through the game, it only gets better.

Also its got a pretty sweet hyperarmor skill but you will never see anyone use it because of how crutch the R1 is.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

So I know weapons with innate Bleed get very little from Bleed infusion, something like going from 33/34 - 40 only, is it the same with using Carthus Rouge on them i.e. not worth it?

yes bleed infusion is terrible, the weapon gains very little from it and you can't buff it with resins or spells. It's better to use Carthus rouge when you want it to proc bleed more often.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I know it's technically possible to be invaded with no summons but anecdotally it must be incredibly rare. Across two playthroughs I can count both the number of times I was invaded by a red and the amount of solo players I invaded as a red combined on one hand. There's really no danger of ever getting invaded while playing solo, outside of Farron or Aldrich areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you drop and trade the dragon stones to other players?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you drop and trade the dragon stones to other players?

How do you even use them? I never figured it out.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Deified Data posted:

So I know it's technically possible to be invaded with no summons but anecdotally it must be incredibly rare. Across two playthroughs I can count both the number of times I was invaded by a red and the amount of solo players I invaded as a red combined on one hand. There's really no danger of ever getting invaded while playing solo, outside of Farron or Aldrich areas.

It's happened to me 4 times. Twice in my first playthrough, once in my current one, and once while I was invading myself and had tabbed out a bit to read forums and tabbed back in to find I got invaded.

I wish it was a bit more common without using a Finger and opening up the free-for-all. I liked my solo invasion fights but it seems like these days it's all official duelling or clusterfucks.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I picked up the Carthus Curved Greatsword on my NG run because I liked the look of it, but felt like it was outperformed by the Sellsword Twinblades, even though they were comparably upgraded and infused. Now on NG+, the CCGS is absolutely wrecking everything. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance.

Still not gonna stop me from using the Old Wolf Curved Sword once it's at +5, to complete my Fashion Souls goal of looking half-melted everywhere. :colbert:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 15, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

How do you even use them? I never figured it out.

Open inventory -> highlight the stones -> use

you can't be wearing any armor while activating them

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Okay, so immediately after cutting down the corpse containing Loretta's Bone my wifi went out and I got booted to the start screen. Upon reload the item is back up where it was but now there's no corpse to cut down. Broken quest I assume?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deified Data posted:

I have been basically instantly solo invaded every time I entered the zone before Farron Keep (I can't even remember what it's called now) on my last 3 new characters, and each of these resulted in at least one extra invader joining before the fighting finished. I wish I got invaded more often as these fights were really fun! Aldritch invasions are still horrible though.

Deified Data posted:

Okay, so immediately after cutting down the corpse containing Loretta's Bone my wifi went out and I got booted to the start screen. Upon reload the item is back up where it was but now there's no corpse to cut down. Broken quest I assume?

Try reloading the area, I think the corpse respawns.

Mazed posted:

I picked up the Carthus Curved Greatsword on my NG run because I liked the look of it, but felt like it was outperformed by the Sellsword Twinblades, even though they were comparably upgraded and infused. Now on NG+, the CCGS is absolutely wrecking everything. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance.

In case you didn't realise it's the Carthus regular Sword that people keep talking about, the CCGS is kind of bad due to low AR - the other two curved greatswords are just better. The Sellsword Twinblades are possibly one of the strongest PvE weapons in the game now, especially if you don't want to invest a lot of stats into damage.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 15, 2016

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I'm betting there is alot of variation to this joke.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Deified Data posted:

look on the ground where the corpse would fall down

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How long from release did it take for DS1, DS2, DS2SOFTS invasions to not be 99% of the time against hosts with full summons? Wondering how long I should take that break since they insist poise is 100% AOK and all that.

Also, drop a single arrow or a bolt = the in-world loot "icon" become equipment and immediately more interesting for hosts to go pick up.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

It's pretty frustrating how :darksouls: obtaining items is. Apparently this playthrough I've locked myself out of:
Mound Makers
Untrue White Ring
Untrue Dark Ring
Chameleon

There's more too I think, I just don't remember what at the moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shnag posted:

I'm betting there is alot of variation to this joke.

tight spot ahead

try tongue rear

visions of mount

but hole ahead

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I always got invaded pretty quickly when going to a new area after beating a boss in NG+ and NG++. I had Way of the Blue equipped the entire time in NG++, so maybe that makes you more likely to get invaded? That said, the people who invaded me in NG++ were uniformly terrible so only 2 of them lasted long enough for fun police to be summoned. Maybe people just don't know how to deal with the dragonslayer spear.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

One would think sunvading a 7000-viewer stream with NO WARNING MESSAGE when I appeared would raise some alarms...

At least, more alarms than the fact I buffed my BKGS.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Atreiden posted:

If you unlocked Siegward from the cell in Irithyl Dungeon, you have advanced Siegwards story to far for him to save Greirat in Irithyl town.

I get summoned on my main account too and was able to grind out watchdogs there, though over almost 10 hours I still got less than 30 summons, and blue cops was less than 10 over over a 100 hours on different characters. I made a new steam account today and was able to get 30 proof of concord in a couple of hours, while the summoning wasn't as fast as Aldrich, I still didn't have to wait more than 10min at the longest on the new account. I'm not saying it's the age of the account that matters, but auto summoning is in some form tied to your account.

Sooo, where is his ashes or Greirat himself? Can't I at least buy his stuff from him from the handmaiden or something?

Oh, got my darksword to +10 heavy. Fun.

Also fuuuuuuuuuck these stupid bloodborne pus of man infected shitters. God what a horrible monster to have just roamin around.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

Sooo, where is his ashes or Greirat himself? Can't I at least buy his stuff from him from the handmaiden or something?

Oh, got my darksword to +10 heavy. Fun.

Also fuuuuuuuuuck these stupid bloodborne pus of man infected shitters. God what a horrible monster to have just roamin around.

His ashes should be in the sewer part of Irithyl with all the longhaired lobster mobs

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I want to get my Profaned Greatsword to +4 but I have no idea where to find more titanite scales.

Also this sword is really fun and has helped me turn silver knights into speedbumps.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Does hollowing affect invasions in any way? I wanna summon some darkmoons in Irithyll but I'm not getting invaded unless I use a dried finger, and two reds + two aldrich faithfuls is more than I can handle most times, even with my bluebro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mr Confetti posted:

I want to get my Profaned Greatsword to +4 but I have no idea where to find more titanite scales.

Also this sword is really fun and has helped me turn silver knights into speedbumps.

Have you made it to Archdragon Peak yet?