Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Edit: And my favorite

That's it! That's a good one with Superman too. I also remember one of the closet at the Daily Planet with Clark's clothes lying in it. God that man was a talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd love for those variant covers to be collected in a coffee table book.

He made his own perfect tribute image for the cover to his recent art book.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 14, 2016

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd love for those variant covers to be collected in a coffee table book.

He made his own perfect tribute image for the cover to the recent art book.

HA! I never noticed before that Ollie is straight up flipping the bird at Hal and John in this. Perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish I could ever smile like a Darwyn Cooke drawing. No one's been happier.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I took a pick of the artwork from my book. Sorry for the low quality but I love this.

Edit: my girlfriend and I are going to watch the New Frontier movie on Netflix now and pour one out for Darwin Cooke.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 14, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

He made Hal Jordon interesting and awesome in New Frontier

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^
Seeing that page in context makes it even more amazing.

I am going to hope against hope and wait until the family says something.

The first place I have seen that said he had passed was Mike Allred, and he has since deleted the tweet. Either it was a mistake, or he did not want to be the first to break the news.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, comixology has the New Frontier Special?! It is worth it for Cooke's rendition of a Superman-Batman battle.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Madkal posted:

I took a pick of the artwork from my book. Sorry for the low quality but I love this.

Edit: my girlfriend and I are going to watch the New Frontier movie on Netflix now and pour one out for Darwin Cooke.

The whole thing is rad as hell.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/10/28/a-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-day-301/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The John Henry stuff is just so hard breaking. That comic is such an amazing work of art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddammit. How awful. :(

My first experience with Cooke's art was the Wolverine and Doop miniseries that took over the X-Statix shipping spot for two months.

I'm embarrassed to admit I wasn't at all familiar with his work at the time and thought it was someone trying really hard to ape Mike Allred's work. It wasn't until awhile later I realized that wasn't at all the case and Cooke's art is fantastic in its own right.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Oh man. This is horrible goddamn news. I love pretty much everything Cooke ever did.

I have the original art from the page prior to that hanging in my living room. :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I chose this more because of the story behind it. Brubaker was the writer of Catwoman at the time and had written a page that Cooke felt made Catwoman a weaker character. When he delivered the art Brubaker said that the art didn't match up with the script and Cooke's reply was: 'I know. I wouldn't draw that.' In the end Brubaker was forced to rewrite the page.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, that progressed fast. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Well, that progressed fast. :smith:

The RIP messages from his friends were retracted. We don't know he's passed yet, unless there's something new.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The comic book revolving death's door is getting ridiculous.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ran into Darwyn at NYCC a few years ago. It was getting to the end of the con, and I was pretty surprised he didn't have a line or anything. He was a super nice guy, and did this quick sketch for me. It's super simple, but one of my favorite pieces.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tucker Stone shared an older, unpublished Cooke interview he'd been sitting on. It's pretty great.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The man and his work are so iconic. Every scene from New Frontier is etched into my memory. His take on DC is the one I always dreamed of, loved the most, and will always think of first. I am more crushed by this news than I could have expected.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The RIP messages from his friends were retracted. We don't know he's passed yet, unless there's something new.

Family confirms.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've had this sitting on my desktop for years and sometimes I just open it up and stare at it. I just love the head turn at the end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cancer loving sucks.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was lucky enough to see him at a book fair of all things about ten years back and he was doing free sketches. When I asked him to draw The Question, he was kind enough not to ask why the hell you would go through the effort to get an artist you like to draw someone with no face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Another legend of comics taken from us way too soon. McDuffie, Wieringo, Cooke... sigh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Another legend of comics taken from us way too soon. McDuffie, Wieringo, Cooke... sigh.

The very best artists will always leave too soon. Mediocre artists will stick around for 70 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The very best artists will always leave too soon. Mediocre artists will stick around for 70 years.

Kirby stuck around for a long time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Kirby stuck around for a long time!

Only because he kept punching death in the face.

FACT: the only reason Jack Kirby died is because death is a pussy and snuck up on him during a nap.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Alhazred posted:

I chose this more because of the story behind it. Brubaker was the writer of Catwoman at the time and had written a page that Cooke felt made Catwoman a weaker character. When he delivered the art Brubaker said that the art didn't match up with the script and Cooke's reply was: 'I know. I wouldn't draw that.' In the end Brubaker was forced to rewrite the page.

That is loving awesome.

EDIT: Like, telling a writer to go screw is often going to be a dick move, but look at that drat panel. The joy and exuberance in it is just so very Cooke.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 14, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So being surround by reminders of his work sure is making it hard to focus on my job today.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
For a while my favorite comic book shop was Emerald City in Clearwater, Florida. It was really close to my job at the time, so I'd always stop by during lunch break on Wednesdays, as well as on the weekend from time to time. It's the kind of store that would have visits from pros. Jimmy Palmiotti was a bit of a regular, when he was in the area. I'd seen him a couple times. One time he had a friend, wearing this hat. I knew he was somebody, but I didn't know the face. I asked one of the guys who worked at the shop.

"That's Darwyn Cooke."

Holy loving poo poo. He is one of my all-time favorites. I had to do something. I had to get something signed by him. I already owned pretty much everything he's done for DC, but I picked out a copy of Batman Ego and Other Tales. (Looking back, surprising that I didn't already have that book, yeah?)

This is the only comic I've gotten signed. I'm not a collector, so I don't give a poo poo about all that. But this is Darwyn Cooke, in my comic shop. I'm not passing that up. After that day, I kept my Absolute New Frontier in the trunk of my car for half a year, in case I ran into him again.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

/\ What comic is that from?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TV Zombie posted:

/\ What comic is that from?

Batman: Ego

There's a slim trade with it and a bunch of other things Cooke did.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I'll never forget that first chapter of The Hunter. Not a single word of dialogue or exposition, but Cooke conveys who Parker is as a person and sets up his mission with such perfection. It's a story telling master class.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

gninjagnome posted:

Ran into Darwyn at NYCC a few years ago. It was getting to the end of the con, and I was pretty surprised he didn't have a line or anything. He was a super nice guy, and did this quick sketch for me. It's super simple, but one of my favorite pieces.

I have one of these in my Absolute New Frontier too. I wish I had more from him though, his art was amazing. One of my favorite artists, sad times :(

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Okay, this had better not be true. I would very much like to believe that it's not true, but I don't think I have that much faith left in humanity. If Wiebe wants me to drop the book I've been raving about for the last year and a half, this would be the way to make it happen.

Edit: Wiebe has responded.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 16, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know, I mean I probably would believe the word of the person who's being pretty professional about a lovely situation. If it doesn't happen now it's probably because she spoke up about it and not because it wasn't true.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Yeah, I'll be prepared to believe Wiebe as soon as he announces an artist that isn't Upchurch.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't read Rat Queens and certainly won't after this hinky bullshit but, to be fair, didn't the whole comic go to poo poo creatively when the new artist got brought on? Like that's what I kept reading about RQ, the sort of uncomfortable admission that it was better when the wifebeater was drawing it.

Again, firing the new artist for the wifebeater is some hilariously tonedeaf, DC-level dumb bullshit, but it seems like there was creative cause to go in a new direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read it because it looked dumb, but Peter Panzerfaust is loving great and I'm dying waiting for the last issues to come out.

• Locked thread