Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

he made the correct choice of not shelling out $3k for a gibson

I love that it was recorded with a Pod, too. That tone is in those hosed-up hands. A lesson for us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So if I have a late 80's MIJ S-series (in which I've put a chopper/true velvet/gravity storm) then I've got at least the equivalent of one of the modern indonesian JEMs? That's cool AF!

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Chuck Berry is still alive

http://chuckberry.com/

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

George H. W. Bush and Republican strategist/former backup guitar player for Percy Sledge Lee Atwater at the former's Presidential Inauguration celebration.

I remember seeing that picture before and wondering why the hell they didn't at least plug a go-nowhere cable into Bush's guitar so he wouldn't be so conspicuously not really participating.

Lee Atwater was like the blues daddiest of all blues dads, though, and he started a blues-themed Memphis-style barbecue mini-chain here in the DC area called Red Hot & Blue (same as the title of that album you linked) that is still around and that I never want to eat at because of the association with Lee Atwater.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

doodlebugs posted:

Chuck Berry is still alive

http://chuckberry.com/

You mean the guy who secretly videotaped over 200 women peeing in his restaurant's bathroom?

edit: in fairness to Chuck, some of them were pooping.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
inspiration can come from anywhere

you always gotta keep your mind open, and your secret shittercam running

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

fyodor posted:

You mean the guy who secretly videotaped over 200 women peeing in his restaurant's bathroom?

edit: in fairness to Chuck, some of them were pooping.

Chuck, you know that new thing you've been trying to masturbate to? Well listen to this!

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

I just got an mc808 used and yikes it does a lot

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/kmdHgA2.jpg

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

This has almost everything in stupid music poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

k-k-kill.... me....

also just adding to the thread, console pianos are loving landfill fodder

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Willfrey posted:

k-k-kill.... me....

also just adding to the thread, console pianos are loving landfill fodder

What, like, upright pianos? I don't piano, so I dunno what you mean.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pondex posted:

johnny demarco is my spirit guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Pondex posted:

If he was playing the surfboard guitar it would be 100% perfect.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Haha that guy looks that way on purpose!

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
He looks like he'd be Gary Busey's kid.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Allen Wren posted:

What, like, upright pianos? I don't piano, so I dunno what you mean.

Console and Studio pianos are the two most common upright pianos you'll see and the name is a reference to how tall the soundboard is; going Spinet, Console, Studio, Upright, in that order. Proper full scale Uprights are pretty rare, and Spinet were mostly student and parlour instruments. Console are your stereotypical thumpalong drama teacher models.

There's a gorgeous Wurlitzer spinet in the studio I use and it's a real treat to play, but generally (either through bad craftsmanship or lack of maintenance) consoles will tend to fall somewhere between 'playable' and 'burn this poo poo'.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Faustus, is yet something intrinsically great about earlier Jems versus newer? You are an authority in my eyes and I need to know if a second hand black floral is s better choice than a modern blue floral.

Alternatively God is dead and I should finally grow up and get a black strat.
muike pretty much covered the bases. I agree with him 100%.

My experience with Indo Ibanezes has been as follows:

RG471AH: Cheap guitar ($400) with perfect simplicity and horrible neck finishing. My luthier showed me how they tried to re-level the upper frets but rushed it out before final dressing was complete. He also told me that I have to listen carefully if I adjust the truss rod because in some areas of rotation it will rattle against the channel. A slight adjustment and it goes away, though, so it's manageable. I still love it, now that the frets have been finished properly. Fretwork only cost $70.oo. I put more than that into the pickups, pickup covers, and push-pull potentiometers.

JEM70VSFG: The guitar on the first page ($1400.oo). And second page. And several other pages. I loved it except the high E would get caught under the edge of the fret as I push my pick through the strings. I thought it would be an easy fix and ignored it because I was too busy enjoying the RG471... until I realized that it was EVERY fret that had a gap on the treble side. Hoshino USA fixed that and sent it back all in a week and it's been great ever since. Cost me all of $30 (the cost to ship it to PA from NC with insurance).

Admittedly that's pretty bad for a brand new $1400.oo guitar.

On the other hand, I have a Spector Legend 5 bass and my new Talman which both came from their Indonesian factories absolutely perfect. I would love to have the new blue JEM (again, muike is correct: it's a "Premium," meaning cheap, JEM from Indonesia). I think it's actually a little more attractive than the print on the original (which a buddy of mine has had since they came out and I'm intensely envious of that).
I am less leery of the Indo factory now but I still expect trouble. The Talman was a real surprise. It had features I wasn't expecting (maple fretboard, locking tuners, good-sounding pickups) and I cannot find a single fault in the build quality. Putting the JBE Danny Gatton pickups in it (which cost 3/4 of the price of the guitar itself) just blew me away. I've been back at work since late April and it still calls to me to noodle around on it every night after work. I'll go sit with it a bit before after Game of Thrones tonight. Either the QC is getting better or I just got lucky. *shrug*

Obviously, if I had a lot more cash I'd still be buying all MIJ Ibanezes (I've always wanted that white JEM, too.)

Pondex posted:

I made it almost three minutes into this before I had to bail out. It's bad, but not the kind of bad that swings around to being good. At least, not for me. Yikes. I did enjoy forwarding it to all my guitarist pals who will probably suffer near cardiac arrest when they see JC-120s being raped like this.

E: I use too many parentheses.(()))

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 16, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pondex posted:

DeMarco's stupid reggae sway at like two minutes in is worth the price of admission.

As is the fake jazz trio via guitar synth at four minutes in.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 16, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Allen Wren posted:

DeMarco's stupid reggae sway at like two minutes in is worth the price of admission.

He might be the whitest guy on the planet with the dumbest, whitest guitar-face I've ever seen.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Jedrick posted:

check out these bad boys

lol i wonder what sperg lord these belong to

edit: why even have multiples of the same guitar? poo poo's guitarded.

This is my guitarist's collection, which appears to include 10 various strat-style guitars. I don't get it. Aside from having one in Drop D I don't know what the gently caress is different about them. I am slowly working through all 400 pages so I hope this isn't going to summon Faustus again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Look three posts up from yours.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

praxis posted:

This is my guitarist's collection, which appears to include 10 various strat-style guitars. I don't get it. Aside from having one in Drop D I don't know what the gently caress is different about them. I am slowly working through all 400 pages so I hope this isn't going to summon Faustus again.

I feel like it's one of those things were before you know it you end up with 50 guitars and can't get rid of any because you're attached to them. I have 8 and I only really need 2 of them, my Steinberger and my Classical because they're completely different sides of the spectrum, all of the others are in-betweens I could do without and make some money off of but some are collector's items now and the others I'd feel bad getting rid of. It's a loving sickness.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah there's only one guitar out of my (several) that i have rigtht now that i know i could part with easily but after that it's hard to pare it down either due to condition or attachment

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it's all "this is pretty cool!!" and various *~tonez~* things

I currently have one acoustic, a strat-type, a les paul-type, a jazzmaster, and a weird frankensteined hollow thing from roughly the 60s probably though the neck is less certain and I love them all

I pretty much just play the les paul-type the hollow thing anymore, one does crunchy and the other is a clean machine

e: Some part of me wants to blow cash on a set of bareknuckle single coils for the strat type and the rest wants to keep the G&L ones that are in it and this has paralyzed me into keeping it how it is

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
G&L pickups are pretty good so unless you think the Bareknuckles'll give you what the G&Ls aren't, t here's no reason to change.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

muike posted:

G&L pickups are pretty good so unless you think the Bareknuckles'll give you what the G&Ls aren't, t here's no reason to change.

Yeah it's literally a matter of whether I want ludicrously overwound single coils or vintage wound ones more. G&L pickups are really good though and I'm not sure I wanna throw out that sort of responsiveness that they have. It's why it's so confusing :argh:

e: Honestly they respond to high gain pedals or whatever really well so I know this is just me thinking THAT WOULD BE COOL

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2016

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Look three posts up from yours.

well poo poo

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I feel like it's one of those things were before you know it you end up with 50 guitars and can't get rid of any because you're attached to them. I have 8 and I only really need 2 of them, my Steinberger and my Classical because they're completely different sides of the spectrum, all of the others are in-betweens I could do without and make some money off of but some are collector's items now and the others I'd feel bad getting rid of. It's a loving sickness.

GAS is a cruel and wicked thing... Why do i need 6 wah-wahs and 4 chorus pedals anyway?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

GAS is a cruel and wicked thing... Why do i need 6 wah-wahs and 4 chorus pedals anyway?

So you can send me one, I need a good chorus.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

So you can send me one, I need a good chorus.

Then you want one of either an early 90s Boss CE5, or CH1, or an EH Small Clone... None of which I want to part with.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Dr. Faustus posted:

I made it almost three minutes into this before I had to bail out. It's bad, but not the kind of bad that swings around to being good. At least, not for me. Yikes. I did enjoy forwarding it to all my guitarist pals who will probably suffer near cardiac arrest when they see JC-120s being raped like this.

Then you missed the part where goldilocks used a guitar synth set to saxophone for those smooth jazz tones.

Is the JC120 the most popular backline amp in the states? I don't think it has nearly the same status here in northern Europe. Most riders I have read ask for Vox AC30/AC15 or Fender Twin. Rock and punk bands want 100w marshall stacks, and metallers want highgain Engls or Diezels or maybe just a channel on the mixer to plug their Axe FX into. Bassists are obviously compensating for something, because everyone has to have an Ampeg SVT-CL or similar with 8x10 cabs, no matter how small the venue is.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Polygoon Window posted:

hey did you guys know they remade the classic ms20? wow what a time to be a live.

It's amazing sound wise, but unless you spend the money on the desktop or fullsized kit I would never use it anywhere but a studio.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

Then you want one of either an early 90s Boss CE5, or CH1, or an EH Small Clone... None of which I want to part with.

Is there much difference between the CE and the CH, apart from the one having more EQ options?

Also, is the Sea Machine any good? I loved my Rainbow Machine but a) had to sell it to make rent one month and b) I never really used it musically, more as a catalyst for making hosed-up noises, and I'm leaning more towards gear I can use for actually making songs happen.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 16, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

kjetting posted:

Then you missed the part where goldilocks used a guitar synth set to saxophone for those smooth jazz tones.

Is the JC120 the most popular backline amp in the states? I don't think it has nearly the same status here in northern Europe. Most riders I have read ask for Vox AC30/AC15 or Fender Twin. Rock and punk bands want 100w marshall stacks, and metallers want highgain Engls or Diezels or maybe just a channel on the mixer to plug their Axe FX into. Bassists are obviously compensating for something, because everyone has to have an Ampeg SVT-CL or similar with 8x10 cabs, no matter how small the venue is.

What you've described is pretty much spot on for how it is here in the states.

The JC120 is known to be a completely sterile, clinical, squeaky clean sounding amp that does exactly that sound, either with or without chorus, and nothing else, which is fine and great if that's what you're going for, but to use it for anything else would be the equivalent of using a lawn mower as your daily drive to work vehicle.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 16, 2016

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Is there much difference between the CE and the CH, apart from the one having more EQ options?

Also, is the Sea Machine any good? I loved my Rainbow Machine but a) had to sell it to make rent one month and b) I never really used it musically, more as a catalyst for making hosed-up noises, and I'm leaning more towards gear I can use for actually making songs happen.

The CH is a bit more intense so it's probably better suited to the John McGeoch/post punk style stuff, the CE seems better suited to clean chords like on Rooster by Alice in Chains, although they can both do the sick warbling detuned sound. I think if i had to choose I'd go with the CE5 because of the better EQ.

If you're after a huge range of crazy chorus/delay sounds though, what you want is the EHX Polychorus

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 16, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

dude you did not just besmirch the good name of johnny demarco. that poo poo will not stand

here's his eternal companion steve oliver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If I were actually trying to go into show business and my name was Johnny DeMarco I'd change my name.

Steve Oliver's video was pretty fascinating, though. Thanks for sharing it. I've never been able to get that kind of vibrato on my classical. It's at my Dad's house because he's more interested in playing it than I am (he's 75 and his fingers are starting to twist, so he doesn't play a lot anymore). Who am I kidding? I haven't spent a minute trying to learn to play it. It was another gift guitar that I keep but never play. Same reason I don't play the jazz hollowbody or any intricate finger-picking stuff. I don't have that kind of dexterity and I'm scared of trying to learn. My ability to play (what little I did have) ossified years ago.

I admit that the synth/pickup technology was pretty impressive, but from a more purist perspective it's stupid music poo poo.

P.S. - I did go back and watch the whole JC-120 demo. The jazz bit in the middle had me crying. I figured if I were going to subject my friends to it, I owed it to them to watch the whole thing myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I've made it through 68 pages of seriously hosed up guitars and had almost decided all guitarists are loving retarded, but then I remembered this poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread