Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The fact that I've played 40k for like 15 years and now I no longer understand how to build a legal army or what the permutations are speaks volumes tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Please god no formations, no unbound, no detachments, no major bullshit

This is entirely why I went so hard into 30k, that poo poo got out of hand. Alternative FoCs and rites of war are plenty because they actually have downsides to balance the upsides.

I really love how it works currently, with its scoring, it's missions, even the weird deployments that make people angry because it isn't hammer and anvil or dawn of war. I hope that they don't change how it works mechanically.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 15, 2016

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Hencoe posted:

This is entirely why I went so hard into 30k, that poo poo got out of hand. Alternative FoCs and rites of war are plenty because they actually have downsides to balance the upsides.

I really love how it works currently, with its scoring, it's missions, even the weird deployments that make people angry because it isn't hammer and anvil or dawn of war. I hope that they don't change how it works mechanically.

Pretty much my feelings on this as well, I have yet to have a game of 30k that didn't come down to a nail biting finish with both armies mutually destroying the poo poo out of each other. I also feel The AOD force comps and ROW make for Interesting and varied builds and the lack of eldar and Tau bullshit along with formations gone makes for a much more fun community.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I get the feeling that if FW was considering formations & all they'd have mentioned it at the weekender earlier this year. Seemed like just point adjustments and trying to make less seen units a bit more useful.

Or so I pray.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It is extremely bad now, and I hope a reset like 3rd ed happens.

The amount of formations is so numerous that it's completely impossible to track. For example, how many are familiar with Scions of the Ancients?

And it's not just formations. GW made a "standard" set of special rules withe the intent to make knowing who has rerolls, FNP, etc much easier only to make it all moot by giving not just specific units/characters a multitude of these rules, but having additional special rules based on formations.

When you toss in allies it makes it even worse. Now you can have multiple formations allied with another army with multiple formations, and in addition have special allies that also have their own sets of rules. This allows things to stack in such a ridiculous way that you spend more time trying to figure out what a unit can do than playing.

One of the most common things I hear players look back on when reviewing a game is how many special rules they forgot they had.

I am ok with formations going so far as to replace the FoC, however they need stop everything right now first.

Reset. Make a 7.5th edition. Or even 8th. Who cares.

Address the problems with the current system, including D weapons. Create specific game modes- troop heavy traditional, larger scale with flyers/heavies, massive with LoW, then Apoc.

Make a single rulebook like 3rd. Drop the FoC and put in formations for ALL armies. Scrap any formations that are unused and evaluate any that are always used. This is now your core. All players need to buy it and that means money for GW.

Now comes the new part: Make a single campaign book per year that includes formations for ALL armies, and use this to expand the universe. Also add in Chapter Approved changes based on feedback and. Everyone will buy that book, more money for GW.

Now you have a semiannual rule update system across the board, and can add/remove these formations without confusing people.

Also, gently caress rerolls and modifiers. Drop all that poo poo. Master crafted weapons and armor get rerolls. Nothing else.

Also, stop this ignores cover bullshit. That should only be for scattering indirect fire. Removing cover takes away tactics.

e: Sorry, thought I was in the 40k thread.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 15, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Got my last Assault Marine Sergeant ready for the table top.

Only 11 left out of 20 more to go until I'm done...

Germ
May 7, 2013

Yeast posted:

I made my first test model for my new army. Pretty happy all up.

What a wonderful paint scheme! The metallic blue and the skull-faces nail the Night Lord aesthetic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

Got my last Assault Marine Sergeant ready for the table top.

Only 11 left out of 20 more to go until I'm done...

Really nice Thousand Son you've got there

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished my first model of my World Eaters. These guys are set during and just after Armatura - the end of the Shadow Crusade. Angron is losing it. The World Eaters have little operational command and control left. Supplies are thin, but no one really cares. The World Eaters are lost to the nails. What few ancients remain have been purged of the last loyalist War Hounds. The only dreadnaughts left slip in and out of insanity.

Here is ancient Balagimon, once the Terran Balag of Sumer. The shadow crusade has left him a maddened remnant of his former self.

This guy was a test for a bunch of techniques I don't know. I tried out oil washing, technical blood, oil rust weathering, weathering powders on the feet, weathered decals, engine oil streaking, and airbrushing all of the base colors. It's probably over the top, but it was fun using the new techniques and trying to improve my game.

A little annoyed by the join lines on the legs. They weren't nearly as obvious until oil settled in on them. This kit is hard to not have that happen.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DeadGame posted:

Finished my first model of my World Eaters. These guys are set during and just after Armatura - the end of the Shadow Crusade. Angron is losing it. The World Eaters have little operational command and control left. Supplies are thin, but no one really cares. The World Eaters are lost to the nails. What few ancients remain have been purged of the last loyalist War Hounds. The only dreadnaughts left slip in and out of insanity.

Here is ancient Balagimon, once the Terran Balag of Sumer. The shadow crusade has left him a maddened remnant of his former self.

This guy was a test for a bunch of techniques I don't know. I tried out oil washing, technical blood, oil rust weathering, weathering powders on the feet, weathered decals, engine oil streaking, and airbrushing all of the base colors. It's probably over the top, but it was fun using the new techniques and trying to improve my game.

A little annoyed by the join lines on the legs. They weren't nearly as obvious until oil settled in on them. This kit is hard to not have that happen.

Looks very good. Did you have any issues with paint peeling when you were removing the oil wash?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
No I varnished the model first. Then I used dullcote at the end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm trying something!

I really disliked how the Kakophoni aren't to scale with Calth marines, so I tried straight-up Noise Marine blasters and a loyal-ish paint job. It still needs work (and a lot of friends), but I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up so far. Plus it's a lot more practical for spamming them as troops.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think FW is considering formations because none of their lists have been built with that in mind. The rules for list building even explicitly forbid them. Here's hoping that stays the case. :ohdear: Rites of War are a better way of handling army-wide bonuses and have actual drawbacks.

I loving hate formations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Formations had their place when they were ways of taking squads and paying a points tax on top to get a bonus fluffy ability, within the confines of the FoC. Now they're just bullshit madness.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sup 30K dudes, I've uploaded a ton of pictures I took from Warhammer Fest:

Forge World area: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122682271116836.1073741850.796633433721723&type=3
(tried sorting the photos by Knight heads, Mastodon, Warlord, Porphyrion, etc., but Facebook album organizing SUCKS so eh)

Forge World seminar: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121692631215800.1073741848.796633433721723&type=3

Blood Bowl stuff (plus super close-ups of every model): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121695161215547.1073741849.796633433721723&type=3&uploaded=46

If you click through the main page link there there's pictures of the exclusive stuff, prices of the Mastodon and Stormbird and other things.

Walkabout video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWQHLf7uWI

I've got Golden Demon photos as well plus many shots of the very cool Iron Warriors/World Eaters display coming, will upload them after editing.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the pics! I really like that silly little Vultarax.

OhDearGodNo posted:

e: Sorry, thought I was in the 40k thread.

Some dude at the warhammer fest posted:

"It won't be as drastic as Warhammer, but it will be quite a change."
More stream lined and easier to pick...

I was talking to Ally Morrison and Adam Dunn (They were near the entrance) I know Adam from a while back and during our chat 40k came up...
Well about how cumbersome it's become.
Any way.
He said the quote above....

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
In a way a "shift" rather than a "drift" would be at least a short sharp shock. For me personally if it was not favourable it would just mean warpath rather than 30/40K with my established miniatures. I am not making any big purchases from either GW or FW on this basis though. Previously I would have gone for a big stack of HH books because they are great but if they are going to be made redundant by a AoS style paradigm shift I will just read the bits I need online.

Or perhaps someone will balance things in favour of a sustainable, sensible (if not good) 40k.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

krushgroove posted:

Sup 30K dudes, I've uploaded a ton of pictures I took from Warhammer Fest:

Forge World area: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122682271116836.1073741850.796633433721723&type=3
(tried sorting the photos by Knight heads, Mastodon, Warlord, Porphyrion, etc., but Facebook album organizing SUCKS so eh)

Forge World seminar: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121692631215800.1073741848.796633433721723&type=3

Blood Bowl stuff (plus super close-ups of every model): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121695161215547.1073741849.796633433721723&type=3&uploaded=46

If you click through the main page link there there's pictures of the exclusive stuff, prices of the Mastodon and Stormbird and other things.

Walkabout video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWQHLf7uWI

I've got Golden Demon photos as well plus many shots of the very cool Iron Warriors/World Eaters display coming, will upload them after editing.

Good stuff. Did you get your hands on any of the new Legion branded dice? Are they decent quality?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SteelMentor posted:

Good stuff. Did you get your hands on any of the new Legion branded dice? Are they decent quality?

I did indeed:

I actually haven't taken them out of the box yet, dice are dice :) the main selling point is that the legion icon is on the 6 side, NOT the 1. They are £1 per die though...and I didn't find that out (or even think to ask) until I was at the till and found out I owed £48 just for dice.

Also just uploaded a 'general' photo album from first thing in the day on Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122781097773620.1073741851.796633433721723&type=3

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Mango Polo posted:

I really, really just want better breachers. Point drop, functionality improvements, whatever. But at the weekender the FW crew was all "breachers need help, what?"

I love the Breacher models - both the generic ones and all the Legion-specific variations - but they're just too expensive for what they do that they really just don't seem worth taking, which is a shame.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

I love the Breacher models - both the generic ones and all the Legion-specific variations - but they're just too expensive for what they do that they really just don't seem worth taking, which is a shame.

Same with Assault marines, but I have just gone the route of hoping for a sick nasty price drop here soon.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Forge World Iron Hands vs World Eaters display album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122868764431520.1073741852.796633433721723&type=3

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Built my first FW kit last night, a Sicaran Venator, went together pretty smooth. Just had one bendy lascannon which warm water took care of real quick. Getting pretty hyped for our group to get some games in soon, we all seem to be going full Ham on this, and it has revitalized the group.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

That display is lovely. Thanks for your coverage of the event!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Really nice Thousand Son you've got there

It's been some time since we've seen any of your awesome Iron Hands models. Did you give up on modeling just like you gave up on the Iron Warrior's rules?

e: I hate you.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 16, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was thinking about it last night- the timing on the new legion book is bad. 8th edition is likely dropping at the end of this year. So we're getting an updated 7th edition book that's going to be outdated within a few months. That leaves us until early next year for an FAQ that plugs the holes that will inevitably exist. Once again we'll be an edition behind.

We could just stick with the 7th edition rules I guess.

Mango Polo posted:

I really, really just want better breachers. Point drop, functionality improvements, whatever. But at the weekender the FW crew was all "breachers need help, what?"

FW crew gives a 25 point drop for assault marines and gives all consuls the support officer special rule

"What do you mean breachers need help?"

Really? Really??? Welp.

DeadGame posted:

For something you tried a lot of new techiques on this guy looks great. I really like the heat stains on the barrels. The weathering is a bit thick in a few places, but for your first go this is really really good stuff. This whole page has great models posted on it (all of them except Stanyer's, obviously)

e: krushgroove thanks for the great coverage and pictures!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

FW crew gives a 25 point drop for assault marines and gives all consuls the support officer special rule

Was this in a recent FAQ?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

What's FW crew anyway?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
FW crew is matt ward and robin cruddace, duh

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it... is it happening..?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Age of Assault Marines.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now's a good time to sell if you still got it. Fingers crossed they updated the index pages this time

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I just bought the loving thing for a tournament. God dammit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I see them selling for $40-$60 on ebay right now. Now's your chance!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Now's a good time to sell if you still got it. Fingers crossed they updated the index pages this time

It's a zero-sum game with FW. Every error fixed spawns a new one elsewhere.

Lord Twisted posted:

I just bought the loving thing for a tournament. God dammit.

You got like two weeks to a month and a half to sell it before the new one drops.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

It's a zero-sum game with FW. Every error fixed spawns a new one elsewhere.
An Alpharius of errors.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

As soon as the tournament is done on the end of May I'll put it on eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

As soon as the tournament is done on the end of May I'll put it on eBay

It's a shame that you got the book so recently, but when the last Eldar codex was rumored to hit I hadn't even opened the used copy I'd gotten off ebay not long before, so I sold it off and got almost all my money back. The following weekend, the new Eldar Craftworlds book was announced.