Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know what's not fun? Having a party of mostly physical attackers attack that plant monster that counterattacks with Eject. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cake Attack posted:

the random encounters are pretty poorly tweaked in this game. like i don't think it's a bad thing for them to actually be tough, but they're way more dangerous than any boss.

Some of the bosses I feel are pretty well stacked here. And I actually don't think it's a bad thing that certain encounters can be much tougher than some bosses, since it usually factored in having low resources in my cases as well (which is basically the point of random encounters).

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what's not fun? Having a party of mostly physical attackers attack that plant monster that counterattacks with Eject. :argh:

Holy poo poo I hate that plant for that same reason. That definitely is a fight that gets way harder if you happen to have the wrong setup.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's kind of silly that in a single turn the grapp keep mobs can take a level 99 party in the finest gear to past half health in a single turn for no real reason.

What a silly game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Go home Holly, you're drunk.

A silly game indeed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The random encounters felt like SMT to me. As in, feast or famine. I am playing on hard and love it. Bosses have been great too.

I finally blew down a Baal to like level 5 and killed it today. The experience reward was gross, almost a full level, and I got a hp bun that fixed Magnolia's base hp (no idea why she has 80 less!)

Might not keep that stuff though, feels kinda out of line for the base game itself.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

The random encounters felt like SMT to me. As in, feast or famine. I am playing on hard and love it. Bosses have been great too.

I finally blew down a Baal to like level 5 and killed it today. The experience reward was gross, almost a full level, and I got a hp bun that fixed Magnolia's base hp (no idea why she has 80 less!)

Might not keep that stuff though, feels kinda out of line for the base game itself.

Half the fun is exploiting the poo poo out of Ba'al hunting. Get a gold Ba'al III, use the max rank thief skill, get two Unearthly buns, run and repeat. Why yes, I would love to have 5 digit HP going into the final dungeon!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Why is the JP cap so low? :argh:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It took me almost 30 hours of playing to realize how Good Measure worked. Oops.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I actually burst out laughing when Alternis tried to propose to Edea during his battle. Complete with yelling no when he got rejected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I just got to Chapter 5 and that is the coolest RPG twist involving battle mechanics I have ever seen

I don't even care that They make you repeat everything again, this is how Bravely Default should have done it.

My main complaint is that at this point I'm totally bored of the random battles but thankfully you can turn those off and get like 900JP from the bossfights that are happening every 10 minutes. I imagine at this point to farm I go back to Grapp?

Red Mage is finally feeling pretty weak, Tiz is no longer the top damage dealer which is normally Hawkeye Edea right now. I'm hoping by the time he gets Meteor a nice Meteor Meteor Rain will put him back on top.

Bit overwhelmed with job choices:

Yew: Mastered Wizard, now giving him Time Mage/Red Mage for Meteor Rains eventually. I imagine I can drop Red Mage at some point.

Edea: Hawkeye/Fencer, she does really well with this combo and I don't want to switch it out.

Magnolia: My most difficult one. Right now Ninja main gives her good damage and I keep her sub to Cat or Patissier, Patissier is a great sub class but
a terrible main class. Eventually when she masters Ninja I have no idea where to take her. I kinda like that she can toss a pie or two at the beginning of the fight then just hit things - Pirate is similar but can't do the weakness thing which is where most of my damage comes from. I imagine at some point she can become a BP Battery with it too?

Tiz: Mastered Bishop, currently Exorcist. Exorcist has some really cool abilities but doesn't seem worth the slot, and his damage potential is basically 0. Feels like a waste to not make him Offensive Caster/Bishop especially once I start giving Yew Ventroliquist. I did see that I can get Yokai sorta soon?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yokai is a Magnolia class (Just look at her as a Yokai)
Exorcist is a support role and great for it as a secondary slot with Undo Trois.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Exorcist is a support role and great for it as a secondary slot with Undo Trois.

From what I can tell the answer to all job related questions by endgame "ya make them all Yokais"

How do you deal with all the spells costing 99MP?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You'll have Turbo Ethers coming out your ears by that point. If a character has Items For All & Glace from the Patissier class equipped, using one out of battle will restore 300 MP to everyone even if the character with the support abilities is dead. Or use Black Mage secondary for Aspir. Or use Cerebus from the Kaiser class and get all your HP/MP back at the end of battle. Or Benediction Wall, etc.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My main complaint is that at this point I'm totally bored of the random battles but thankfully you can turn those off and get like 900JP from the bossfights that are happening every 10 minutes. I imagine at this point to farm I go back to Grapp?
It's probably more efficient to go to the hot springs cave and hang out in the max BP area, but Grapp lets you fight every battle the same way. Up to you, really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From what I can tell the answer to all job related questions by endgame "ya make them all Yokais"

You use Meteor Rain and watch everything die

Alternatively, farm unearthly buns and get 9999mp

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

either exorcist's undo mp, or their level 11 support skill, auto-undo

someone also discovered that the ghost status allows for free mp in a pinch, but then you can't benefit from support skills or bp batteries.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about all these late game shenanigans, but the first cheesy thing I discovered early game was summon + rain + mimic that poo poo over and over and over for free. Summoning gets expensive.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You're not wrong, but I don't think Mimic and Rain are going to be early game for most people. :v:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, but all the friends I have on ablink are like.. maxxed out in every class, and I spent all of chapter 1 and most of 2 as 4 wizards. So before I got summoner I was coasting whatever spell was best, and spamming mimic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That sounds boring.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Shrug. I'm playing for the story more than finding interesting ways to play dress up. Up until just now every other class was just mathematically worse than wizard. Like I just got ninja.. but there is absolutely no reason to play as a ninja for me at this point.

Here is my decision making process for selecting a job. Step 1) Can this one character in this one job wipe out the entire enemy party in 1 turn all alone? If not then it's not the job for me. There is no step 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's so many broken combos that you can do whatever your heart's desire.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

either exorcist's undo mp, or their level 11 support skill, auto-undo

someone also discovered that the ghost status allows for free mp in a pinch, but then you can't benefit from support skills or bp batteries.

Well the Performer's Power Up and the song buffs do still work with Ghosted party members. But yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't affect their BP at all.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Wrong, Edea is the best.

Finished the game. Very, very, very fun. Silly, all over the place, learned a few important things from Default.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Put my name on the spreadsheet, Looking to fight new Ba'als and nobody in my area has this game besides me and one other friend.

5257-9242-2194

Let me know if you add me, I'm slowly going down the list and adding everyone who's list isnt full.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
bravely third is gonna be so good

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm wanting to specialize my four characters but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it in a poor way.

Basically I have Yew as offensive mage, so he's been leveling primarily Summoner, Wizard and Red Mage (with some Astrologian and Bishop for support skills here and there.)
Edea is a sword-user, physical-focused character, which means she's basically been doing nothing but getting levels in Fencer since I opted to choose whatever didn't get me the Swordmaster asterisk.
Magnolia is a sort of mixed bag physical attacker, so she ended up with levels in everything else, Charioteer and Catmancer primarily.
Tiz is being geared as a support guy, so Bishop, Astrologian--he's basically doing everything Yew has been doing except for more Red Mage and no Summoner points.

I'm feeling like my team has become very unbalanced as a result--Magnolia and Yew are easily huge powerhouse characters while the others seem to be lagging behind in terms of physical or magical prowess. What should I be doing as I build my characters up? For reference, I just got the Hawkeye asterisk, so that's where I'm at progress-wise.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
your edea is quite soon going to get a choice between knight, which is a very solid, tanky class, or ninja, which turns a physical attacker into a lightning demon. tiz will probs enjoy performer and exorcist in chapter 3, along with either merchant or white mage in chapter 2, but a support character loving adores patissier, which is coming up soon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so what's the deal with the Kaiser asterisk? Seems like a weird support class that has stuff to affect both allies and enemies.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
Kaiser owns and you can do some insane poo poo with it.

If the endgame didn't devolve into spellcraft-abusing it would be the best class in the entire game.

Still, Cerberus is a godsend for magic users and leveling, you get a nice damage all skill, and you get a bunch of cool abilities that let you swing various numbers and battle mechanics to your advantage. Not to mention the class has fantastic stats.

KFBR392 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The fact that the buffs affect both sides still generally favors the side actually planning around and activating the skills, and having the ability to buff an entire party to 200% PAtk and MAtk with only 1BP and a negligible amount of MP is really nice, as is the guaranteed criticals from Overlord. You can also combine Overlord with the Critical Hitter passive to guarantee crits on spells and items that allow crits, so that's cool.

Finally, and somewhat more spoilery, Kaiser has access to another method of cheesing the optional postgame superboss: The skill that nullifies HP/MP/BP restoration also negates resurrection effects, so you can lock the Adventurer in an infinite loop of trying to resurrect the Comrade fox by killing it and then using that skill every turn.

Edit: Also it has a really nice coat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

theshim posted:

Wrong, Edea is the best.

Finished the game. Very, very, very fun. Silly, all over the place, learned a few important things from Default.

Edea isn't best anything in Bravely Second.
She is infact WORST.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hm, the FAIL meter has hit maximum on the Bravely Second thread. I wonder what could've been posted?

Edea isn't best anything in Bravely Second.
She is infact WORST.

UUUUWHOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHH!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you feed your favorite character enough buns, and use Prince Of Thieves on Deneb enough times, they can hit the damage cap with each hit while Dual-Quad-Wielding, making basic attacks twice as efficient as any Spellcraft. Probably don't do this though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh man, I keep remembering a party chat that popped up in Eternia every so often and :stare:. The one where they're discussing what the most painful thing is and it's either Tiz or Yew who mentions the time they were going to brush their teeth but picked up a razor instead. It made me laugh at the time, but drat.

Also the sidequest for the last asterisk was pretty good. The boss fight was interesting with Ringabel using a bunch of specials, but Yoko kept spamming the Leviathan thing and wiping most of the party so I didn't have much chance to enjoy it. Oh, and I'd forgotten that Alternis and Ringabel were different people so that threw me a bit until I remembered. I'm glad that I realised there were two Dark Knights running about on my own though, even if that was kind of obvious early on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ugh, what did they do to Braev's voice?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

McDragon posted:

Oh man, I keep remembering a party chat that popped up in Eternia every so often and :stare:. The one where they're discussing what the most painful thing is and it's either Tiz or Yew who mentions the time they were going to brush their teeth but picked up a razor instead. It made me laugh at the time, but drat.
I feel like this has to be something that happened to someone on the development team and they snuck that anecdote in.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I got the last asterisk snd I still haven't seen this come up in the main story.

Does Setanta ever show up or have relevance? I think I read all the poems so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes. In fact, you meet him in the Prologue. He gives you your second Asterisk.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Hm, the FAIL meter has hit maximum on the Bravely Second thread. I wonder what could've been posted?

UUUUWHOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHH!

[food joke]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
is there anything game breaking early I can get for making chomp dolls all day long while i'm working

• Locked thread