Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gigglefeimer posted:

There aren't any useless jobs in X-2 though.

If Trump is elected, I'm moving to Spira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Yeah except for Festivalist, Trainer, and just about every offensive class that isn't Dark Knight or Psychic once you have those

Dark Knight and Psychic don't do very good damage. There's a lot of things those dresspheres can't do that others can, like how Paine's Festivalist has guaranteed status attacks (as long as the enemy isn't immune)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

gigglefeimer posted:

Dark Knight and Psychic don't do very good damage. There's a lot of things those dresspheres can't do that others can, like how Paine's Festivalist has guaranteed status attacks (as long as the enemy isn't immune)

Dark Knight and Psychic do excellent damage, plus death/eject and immunity to basically everything

If you need guaranteed debuffs you can use Songstress which isn't limited to one character

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"Every Dresssphere is good and can be used to plow through the game if you know what you're doing."

"WELL SOME ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS!"

No poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Every Dresssphere is good and can be used to plow through the game if you know what you're doing."

"WELL SOME ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS!"

No poo poo.

Are you responding to something in particular or just making up your own conversation to be mad about

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Going against all the instincts of most RPG players, White Mage is irredeemable trash. All other jobs have their place.

Edit: Just remembered White Mage is insanely good as a monster job

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
^Nah, White Mages are cool.

Tempo 119 posted:

Dark Knight and Psychic do excellent damage, plus death/eject and immunity to basically everything

If you need guaranteed debuffs you can use Songstress which isn't limited to one character

Dark Knight and Psychic do fine damage if you're at a high level. Other dresspheres like Gunner, Gun Mage, Samurai, Black Mage, Thief, Berserker, etc. generally do more damage though. Their death/eject are not guaranteed while Paine's Festivalist can do guaranteed Petrify. Psychic's magic/physical immunity abilities are great and a good way to use them is to cast them at the start of a battle then spherechange to a dressphere with better attacks. Dark Knights are stuck using the relatively weak Darkness if you want their great defensive stats and passives.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

gigglefeimer posted:

^Nah, White Mages are cool.

Dark Knight and Psychic do fine damage if you're at a high level. Other dresspheres like Gunner, Gun Mage, Samurai, Black Mage, Thief, Berserker, etc. generally do more damage though. Their death/eject are not guaranteed while Paine's Festivalist can do guaranteed Petrify. Psychic's magic/physical immunity abilities are great and a good way to use them is to cast them at the start of a battle then spherechange to a dressphere with better attacks. Dark Knights are stuck using the relatively weak Darkness if you want their great defensive stats and passives.

Hmm didn't know about guaranteed petrify, it sounds kind of appealing but I still don't think it's worth a slot over anything else! It's not literally useless, I'll grant you that much

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Andrast posted:

Bravely default/second combat is much better than FF5.

it is, but until Default/Second can be easily streamed i probably won't beat either because I have no patience for singleplayer games anymore if people aren't talking to be about the game as i play it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Countblanc posted:

it is, but until Default/Second can be easily streamed i probably won't beat either because I have no patience for singleplayer games anymore if people aren't talking to be about the game as i play it

Listen to someone talking over FF5 and loop it three times.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

Like, what actually isn't possible on consoles other than fps/resolution increases?

I would guess, among other things, poly counts, map sizes, 'openness', stuff like tressFX which they own (see tomb raider) and could use to make the most anime of hair, physics, animation density, more intensive visual effects

The big one is prob the map sizes due to memory limitations on consoles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, sorry, I'm not convinced there's anything there that requires them to completely rebuild the game from the ground up for PC, it sounds more like a line and the PC version (if it ever exists) will be a nicer looking port of the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

and could use to make the most anime of hair

I think this is worth the wait time for a PC version.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, sorry, I'm not convinced there's anything there that requires them to completely rebuild the game from the ground up for PC, it sounds more like a line and the PC version (if it ever exists) will be a nicer looking port of the game.

quote:

The big one is prob the map sizes due to memory limitations on consoles

Also he didn't really say from the ground up, just that he'd want to do a bunch of things on PC that they'd had to cut or couldn't do as well as they'd have liked. Perhaps other systems embedded in the game (weather, more robust simulation of herd behaviour, HAIRGROWTHINREALTIMEFX, unconstrained warp points etc etc etc)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

He didn't say anything about rebuilding the entire engine, that was you. He only said that it would be more than "just a simple port" which I think given some of SE's recent Steam port efforts was damage control more than anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use.'

:shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'll believe it when I see it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh snap! Suck it Dragon Quest!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Playing through FFX with headphones has helped outline how truly hammy Maechen's voice actor is. Every super-exaggerated rolled R is perfect.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Enallyniv posted:

Playing through FFX with headphones has helped outline how truly hammy Maechen's voice actor is. Every super-exaggerated rolled R is perfect.

Voiced by none other than Dwight "Reginald "Broccoli" Barkley" Schultz.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HD DAD posted:

Ha ha. I was trying to remember who Dwight Schultz was. Barclay is great and Maechen also owns.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Don't forget that Rin is voiced by Tom "SpongeBob SquarePants" Kenney.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

HD DAD posted:

Howling Mad Maechen

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jibo posted:

Ha ha. I was trying to remember who Dwight Schultz was. Barclay is great and Maechen also owns.

He's also Murdock from the A-Team, you philistines.

Even within FF10 (and 10-2), besides Maechen he's also O'aka XXIII and Maester Mika. In FF12 he voiced Anastasis and Dalan.

Suffice it to say that he has a rather lengthy IMDB page.

fe:

Enallyniv posted:

Howling Mad Maechen

Thank you.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I picked up the steam FFX remaster yesterday, it's my first FF game (actually first jrpg in general). I'm using the Japanese VO since the English voices feel a bit grating (hope I'm only missing out on the Wakka voice), also using the arranged soundtrack. I love how the game has the Aurochs as such a trash team, that the players are constantly loving up on the beach and there's a little kid praying for the team to finally win a game after 10+ years. It's been a while since I've played a "hero's journey" style of rpg game with a fleshed-out fictional background - the last 2 I touched were KOTOR1/2 - so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm going to try to play through the game as a story completionist, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers or using a guide. Are there going to be any grindy parts that I should just ignore or things that I might easily miss the first time around?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should probably use a guide for the cloister of trials because not getting the destruction spheres from those means you miss out on quite a bit of side content and one of the most powerful summons in the game, unless you wanna figure those out on your own that's fine, but just know those are there. Otherwise you shouldn't need to grind and everything that's obtuse to find is in end game at which point you're just putzing around before final boss.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Once you get to the end game and have to do minigames to get stuff, just cheat to get them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

most of the cloister puzzles are pretty easy, just know that you should get a secret treasure with a destruction sphere in each one and look it up if it stumps you. but the only one you cant backtrack for is the one in besaid so you may have already missed it

its a good gam

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Super No Vacancy posted:

most of the cloister puzzles are pretty easy, just know that you should get a secret treasure with a destruction sphere in each one and look it up if it stumps you. but the only one you cant backtrack for is the one in besaid so you may have already missed it

its a good gam

Haha this is exactly where I was, didn't figure out what to do with the destruction sphere. I reset my save, going to try to solve it on my own.

e; Yup not bad. Probably a sign I should spend a little time with the puzzles before moving on. Thanks for the heads up

cerious fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 16, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X is a really solid entry point into JRPGs. Enjoy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So, a couple weeks until pre-reg and the hype train begins again for the Four Job Fiesta. Always a fun time of year.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

So, a couple weeks until pre-reg and the hype train begins again for the Four Job Fiesta. Always a fun time of year.

Ive already lost interest in FFVI yet again but I vow I will play FFV and beat it entirely and all while doing this Fiesta thingamabob.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Ive already lost interest in FFVI yet again but I vow I will play FFV and beat it entirely and all while doing this Fiesta thingamabob.

Having a bunch of people to talk with it about and give you strategies and stuff should help keep the momentum.

My problem is every year I get excited and do other FF5 runs before/during it and end up getting burned out after 1.5 or so Fiesta runs. Still always fun to participate and do silly stuff like mass-naming the main character Fartz for charity.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I only ran it twice last year after my 9-10 runs the two years before, I ought to fix that. I think it's been long enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's easy to accidentally trigger the big cutscene in the first cloister and kinda bone yourself since I think you have to fight Dark Valefor if you wanna go back in. Stay safe, gamers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Dark Aeons only appear after you kill a certain boss, however that's well before you get the airship so back tracking before that is a pain, though still possible.
I walked all the way back to Besaid after Jecht spheres appear to get the one there and Valefor's second Overdrive, which if you leave it until just after the next boss you need to beat Dark Valefor's to get. It took like two hours there and back.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The Dark Aeons only appear after you kill a certain boss, however that's well before you get the airship so back tracking before that is a pain, though still possible.

I tried backtracking to the temple before that point and the priest guy wouldn't let me in. So I dunno if you can without triggering the Dark Aeons.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you can backtrack to everywhere but besaid iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Remember to pick up Valefor's second much better Overdrive before leaving Besaid from that stupid dog. I mean how does a dog even bury a limit break attack?