Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My point is that you get, like, a panel to see what happens, and then it's over. You don't get time to digest what happens. And I'm not saying every death should follow Avdol's I was just using it as an example of a fast death.

Anyway, in Stone Ocean's send-off, it ends in an "everything is okay" sort of way, and that feels to me like a cop-out. I'll give you Jolyne's death, but with the rest of the character who you've grown to love and Annasui, it's just "bam" "bam" "bam" they're all skeletons, end of chapter, go Emporio!

Can you really not see how the death of the guy who had appeared in every Jojo part up until then just being dead and moving on comes off as anticlimactic? I mean, I get that it's a fast moment, but these are the main characters. It wouldn't have been the first time the series slows down to let you digest what's going on. You don't even get to see Jotaro in the Ireniverse, for that matter.

It's fine that you like it, the trolling comment was a joke, and I didn't mean to sound pretentious about it with my objective tone earlier, but can you really not see what people mean by anticlimactic?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Made in Heaven is a hopeless, nightmare situation and the cast being completely hosed up without any effort fits the situation perfectly.

Also Jotaro's death had been accurately foreshadowed since Part 3 :troll:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm gonna give you an anti-climatic death, multijoe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will mourn multijoe for 2 pages to spite all would be assailants

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

But real-talk, Dio and Vanilla Ice were also hopeless nightmares. But to beat a dead horse, those fights let you digest what just happened. tbf, Kakyoin takes a long time to die considering his injuries.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 15, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's because plot demanded that his death needed to result in them figuring out the time stop. There's no way in hell that Kakyoin would be conscious after taking that injury if he didn't just straight up die instantly. If DIO didn't punch his heart to dust he was millimetres away from it.

It's pretty contrived, really, and I don't just say that as a person with the correct opinion of Kakyoin.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

But real-talk, Dio and Vanilla Ice were also hopeless nightmares. But to beat a dead horse, those fights let you digest what just happened. tbf, Kakyoin takes a long time to die considering his injuries.

The Stardust Crusaders attacked DIO one at a time exactly to prevent getting group-slaughtered and try and figure what The World actually did. The Stone Ocean gang didn't have that luxury of time as it was a race against the clock to stop Pucci obtaining Heaven, so once he'd gained it and Jotaro blew his one trump card the battle was over and killing them was basically an afterthought. Would the scene have flowed any better is Araki had spent several pages showing everyone getting cut to ribbons in excessive detail?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, actually. Maybe even some dialogue.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

In a vacuum, there's no right or wrong way to kill a character, it all depends on what works best for the story. Kak's death was long because the story wanted him to have a noble, meaningful death, whereas in SO, the story wanted the deaths to be sudden and shocking. I agree the Hot Pants death wasn't as good as those, but that has nothing to do with the quickness of it per se.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm cool with all the deaths in SO and SBR (except FF, she should've at least died with everyone not die again after her first fakeout death goddammit) though yeah, an extra panel to make it extra clear that HP is dead would've gone a long way, still her death being that fast does well to present how dire the situation is, fits with how much the setting "sucks" for all who live there.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I agree with aurian on this point and it's making me nauseous

not like in a grossed out way, but in a disoriented way

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I agree with aurian on this point and it's making me nauseous

not like in a grossed out way, but in a disoriented way

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

In a vacuum, there's no right or wrong way to kill a character, it all depends on what works best for the story. Kak's death was long because the story wanted him to have a noble, meaningful death, whereas in SO, the story wanted the deaths to be sudden and shocking. I agree the Hot Pants death wasn't as good as those, but that has nothing to do with the quickness of it per se.

This is how I saw it. Stone Ocean deliberately goes against the series formula by having the cast killed so suddenly and shockingly, befitting the situation where their foe is literally ushering in the apocalypse. Hot Pants could have been handled better but overall her death was in keeping with the tone of the story and her role in the plot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

We were literally told how jotaro would die due to Toth tho

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The issue with Hot Pants death is that what kills her (the window frame through the head) doesn't take effect instantly and she seems cognizant enough to have a monologue real quick about how she's gotta get out of this situation, which leads the viewer to think that she'll be fine, this is JoJo, its just cutting away to another dramatic part of the story before cutting back to her solution, only it never does

If it just showed her being straight up killed by the window then it would be a lot clearer, but as is its going against all the signifiers the series has set up to be normal in this situation without showing that it's being subverted

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just reread the panel her heart literally explodes so i think she's pretty dead, not very apparent on first view though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the other hand Joshuu has been poured down the drain and is only MIA and Jolyne turned her body into a mobius strip, hosed up body contortions don't mean alot in JoJo by themselves

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the plus side for Joshuu, there's at least a chance that being submerged washes away Vitamin C. A bird drops into the water because of it and pointedly bursts out of the water looking OK.

Doesn't exactly gel with the water going through his head though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Joshuu has already floated through the sewer with the rest of the poo poo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He turns solid in the pipes and has to quickly use his Stand to break out, finally realizing his life goal is to be a plumber.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It must be crushing for Joshuu knowing that even though Jobin, Josuke and Norisuke are all more handsome than him, he's now the fifth most handsome dude to be in the Higahouse during JoJolion.

Yagiyama is more handsome too, but he's possibly doesn't even have a gender.

He also has to live with the knowledge that at any given time, Damo could have seduced any woman he had a crush on with 100% success.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Joshuu is where he belongs.

Down the drain.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Women just turn to putty in Damo's hands, he's that good

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tarezax posted:

Women just turn to putty in Damo's hands, he's that good

:master:
Goddamn

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm fine with how everyone who dies in SBR dies including humble and lovable shoeshine boy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Both of Diego's deaths, in particular, rule and have stuck with me.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yeah I got why Hot Pants died.

She took a glass shard and it moved into her heart, the same way that Gyro died, I figured.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Every death scene should be extensively narrated like the grenade fight from Dirty Work.

"Oh my God! Now D4C: Love Train has manifested, and it's using its power on meeeeeeeee!!!!!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That glass shard... it's my wife!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be honest, even knowing that she's supposed to be having her heart punctured by glass or whatever, I still can't really tell what's going on in those frames :( it just kinda looks like she falls out and has parts of glass sticking out of her, I dunno where the heart stuff even comes in at

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did sbr have the only explicitly gay character

and then brutally murder them?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Caesar

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

did sbr have the only explicitly gay character

and then brutally murder them?

I don't remember Hot Pants being explicitly lesbian, if that's what you're referring to. Scarlet Valentine is bisexual, but I don't remember her being brutally murdered.

Edit: It is kind of unfortunate that most of the characters who were probably actually meant to be gay/bi in Jojo (as opposed to fans reading into things) are villains. Aya Tsuji is generally sympathetic (despite being a villain-of-the-week fight structurally, Yukako was really the one in the wrong there), but aside from her it's just Dio, Pucci, Scarlet, and those guys with the Clash and Talking Head Stands - all bad guys.

Speedwagon, Avdol, Rohan, and F.F. can all reasonably be read as gay, but it's much less overt.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 16, 2016

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Silver2195 posted:

Speedwagon, Avdol, Rohan, and F.F. can all reasonably be read as gay, but it's much less overt.

Rohan could only possibly be gay for himself.

Re-reading part 6. Foo's death sucks so bad! The pt6 girls have it loving rough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How avdol and rohan? Wasn't rohan involved with a few women? I know he had a crush on his distant ancestor in one of the spinoff things (I think rohan goes to the louvre).

Fugo seems like the kind of guy who would definitely be gay based entirely on his outfit. I mean, dude wears a thong.

As far as villains go, the stuff going on between cioccolata and secco is...special. The eleven men from steel ball run are also totally gay.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the topic of Gay JoJo, I realised a while ago that Rob Halford is a real life Stand.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

How avdol and rohan? Wasn't rohan involved with a few women? I know he had a crush on his distant ancestor in one of the spinoff things (I think rohan goes to the louvre).

Fugo seems like the kind of guy who would definitely be gay based entirely on his outfit. I mean, dude wears a thong.

As far as villains go, the stuff going on between cioccolata and secco is...special. The eleven men from steel ball run are also totally gay.

Rohan seemed almost as obsessed with Koichi as Yukako was. I haven't read the Rohan spinoffs, though.

Avdol seemed terrified of his own attraction to Dio's "strange sensuality."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

How avdol and rohan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-iyhQLiKM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Silver2195 posted:

Rohan seemed almost as obsessed with Koichi as Yukako was. I haven't read the Rohan spinoffs, though.

Avdol seemed terrified of his own attraction to Dio's "strange sensuality."

I like to think that Avdol had a thing for buff foreign dudes to start with and then Joseph was all "ok, so this Dio guy? Tall, pale, blonde, totally ripped, and apparently he has this weird charisma thing that'll make you weak in the knees, stay sharp buddy" and completely ruined Avdol's love life until Dio legit did show up. Every time he'd hit it off with a dude he'd think "oh poo poo THIS IS IT" and go diving out the nearest window like his life depended on it.