Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Windows 98 posted:

Ehrlich coughing at the end had me laughing way more than I should have been. Especially when he went for the very last drag even while coughing already and trying to talk.

It was hilarious but I think only certain people will understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't smoke but I have known many Ehrlich's in my life so i really appreciated that scene.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I thought they might have done it on purpose. But the route they went instead was way better. Jared was on point again in this episode. And lmao at his airbnb renters doing their own airbnb in his house.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked his water bison story.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm watching this again and Thomas / Amanda / Kumail cannot keep straight faces when Ehrlich's coughing like crazy, I wonder if the scene called for some coughing and TJ Miller just loving improv'd that poo poo.

saffronskies
Nov 21, 2004
This could be the end of everything.
Jared trying to compliment Monica by comparing her to a bison getting mauled to death by a lion was great. Such courage.

However I don't understand why Monica has a seat on the board of Pied Piper. I thought her and Laurie essentially just represented Raviga's stake in the company with Monica more or less being Laurie's assistant. Is it common for an investment firm to do this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't it something Richard pushed for all the way back in season 1?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They got 3 seats total when they bought out the douche bag guy. Laurie was originally the only person from Raviga.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The "welcome to Hooli fresh faces!" welcome party had me in tears. "7 years? I was there 9 years. He was invited to my marriage."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

The "welcome to Hooli fresh faces!" welcome party had me in tears. "7 years? I was there 9 years. He was invited to my marriage."

I absolutely adore that he found a way to fire Nucleus and still keep it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

saffronskies posted:

Jared trying to compliment Monica by comparing her to a bison getting mauled to death by a lion was great. Such courage.

However I don't understand why Monica has a seat on the board of Pied Piper. I thought her and Laurie essentially just represented Raviga's stake in the company with Monica more or less being Laurie's assistant. Is it common for an investment firm to do this?

I don't think she's an assistant, more of a deputy or an associate. It's common for investment groups to get more than one board seat.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

I absolutely adore that he found a way to fire Nucleus and still keep it.
He also basically spent 200+ million dollars to re-hire the team members he previously fired without indemnities. He could have offered that to Richard months prior and dodged the whole thing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't think she's an assistant, more of a deputy or an associate. It's common for investment groups to get more than one board seat.

Plus, Richard specifically asked for her on the board as a condition of accepting their funding deal.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

Plus, Richard specifically asked for her on the board as a condition of accepting their funding deal.

Yeah having it be Monica was something Laurie agreed to because it shouldn't have been important: when Russ was in the picture, she would have been the swing vote between Russ+1 & Richard/Erlich (and would presumably not make bad decisions), and after they bought Russ out, she was supposed to vote lock-step with the other two Raviga seats so it shouldn't have mattered who was really there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I just loved how Laurie said that Jack Barker was "exited."

Working for a large company as I do, I've long since wondered why anyone on TV says anyone has been "fired," because I swear, nobody uses that word anymore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was always under the impression Monica had a board seat because she invested her personal money into richard's startup way back in season 1.

EDIT: Also, while I'm sure it wasn't improv/accidental, Richard's face hitting the desk looked so unexpected it was hard to tell if he did it on purpose.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Veskit posted:

I aquit hands down. There are probably more from the animated stuff or something but that's the only one that stands out to me. This is next to it though and boy howdy was that one loving dumb.

This one doesn't even come close to the #2 spot either, the Breaking Bad thread alone had like 5 contenders

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Holyshoot posted:

I thought they might have done it on purpose. But the route they went instead was way better. Jared was on point again in this episode. And lmao at his airbnb renters doing their own airbnb in his house.

I hope Jared AirBnB's his own apartment and then squats it back out from under the douchebag.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
What was "I acquit?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kevyn posted:

What was "I acquit?"

I think it was in The Office. At some point, someone says "I quit" but half the internet thought he said "I acquit" because that makes sense in their broke brains.

saffronskies
Nov 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was in The Office. At some point, someone says "I quit" but half the internet thought he said "I acquit" because that makes sense in their broke brains.

I acquit was retarded but at least the scene could have made sense if it had been true. Michael is pissed the new boss cancelled his anniversary party (among many other things) so he goes to David Wallace about it. Wallace offers to throw him a new party and Michael, angry that he's being placated instead of actually listened to, stands up, shakes Wallace's hand and says "I quit." Cut to credits. Had he said "I acquit" the scene still could have worked in spite of it being terrible writing.

This is why, in my mind, Mike's voice was 100x worse as fan theories go. When Gus threatens to kill Walt he responds with "if you could kill me I'd already be dead" and the ADR on "if you could kill me" sounded vaguely like Mike and some people ran buck wild with BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? Never mind that at that point in the series Mike was in a hospital in another country.

Anyway thanks for the explanations re: Monica's board seat! I remember them negotiating with Hanneman but I had forgotten the details.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

saffronskies posted:

I acquit was retarded but at least the scene could have made sense if it had been true. Michael is pissed the new boss cancelled his anniversary party (among many other things) so he goes to David Wallace about it. Wallace offers to throw him a new party and Michael, angry that he's being placated instead of actually listened to, stands up, shakes Wallace's hand and says "I quit." Cut to credits. Had he said "I acquit" the scene still could have worked in spite of it being terrible writing.

lmfao it's still going.. unbelievable

saffronskies
Nov 21, 2004

Last Chance posted:

lmfao it's still going.. unbelievable

What? I am saying it was an idiotic theory. Even at the time I thought it was dumb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

saffronskies posted:

What? I am saying it was an idiotic theory. Even at the time I thought it was dumb.

Are you saying you 'Acquit'?

saffronskies
Nov 21, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

Are you saying you 'Acquit'?

Only you throw me a party.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It seems I have a massive amount of poo poo on my face over the intended drop of documents.

Not as funny of an episode but it had its moments. I loved how everyone except Gilfoyle jumps up when Richard face plants.

I feel TJ Miller is being slightly underused. It's Erlich's shtick to basically be kind of incompetent and insert himself in a self-important manner into everything, but they're kinda laying it on thick this season. The board voting scene especially. I miss TJ Miller slapping a kid and tossing his bike to get drugs.

Then of course the smoking scene shows up and kinda undoes my complaints in a fell swoop.

I'm really hoping Big Head becomes the CEO by the end of the season.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's amazing how quickly the show subverts my expectations. I really thought the crew would grow attached to the box and that Jack and Richard's new friendship would last at least until the next episode... but nope.

Having no boss at PP does open up new story and comedy possibilities, but the show is very eager to not settle for any status quo anymore, so I'm guessing they'll have a new CEO sooner than later.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

I hope Jared AirBnB's his own apartment and then squats it back out from under the douchebag.
Jared will win his trial against the guy but the new airbnb's guy will also refuse to leave, restarting the cycle.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/730077896400842752
Also, it's needless to say, but the site's already been updated. No more Jack, but Dang's there now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

saffronskies posted:

This is why, in my mind, Mike's voice was 100x worse as fan theories go. When Gus threatens to kill Walt he responds with "if you could kill me I'd already be dead" and the ADR on "if you could kill me" sounded vaguely like Mike and some people ran buck wild with BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? Never mind that at that point in the series Mike was in a hospital in another country.

Anyway thanks for the explanations re: Monica's board seat! I remember them negotiating with Hanneman but I had forgotten the details.

Acquit doesn't even make sense. Why was that even a theory.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holyshoot posted:

Because people on the internet are dumb.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Toad King posted:

This better end with Big Head being the new CEO of Pied Piper.

Big Head being CEO would be the absolute best case scenario for the guys since Big Head will literally go along with anything they say and won't care if he's not "really" in charge since he'll still have a ton of money and be making even more money. That and he's already been propped up in the news as some kind of prodigy, so it'll bring up the stock value of the company.

Of course, he'll ultimately do something dumb accidentally that will lead to the company folding and himself making a ton of money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, Bighead as CEO would be great at first as he just sits there confused as Erlich tells him what the company should be doing. Then he'll screw up by making a really bad deal for Pied Piper that still somehow benefits him.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The scene with Gavin and the bulldog had me cracking up for some reason

saffronskies
Nov 21, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Michael misusing words was a common joke on the show ("colored greens," "microgement" for "micromanagement," instituting Prima Nocta in the office with no idea what it meant and so on and so forth).

But mostly it's what gret said. People are stupid.

But back to SV I was really surprised that Jack would flat out call Laurie powerless in front of everyone. Laurie's delivery of "Jack has been... exited" was really amazing after that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SlipkPIe posted:

This one doesn't even come close to the #2 spot either, the Breaking Bad thread alone had like 5 contenders

There was a HIMYM one where people argued about whether a character's name was spelled Paddy or Patty.

And this isn't really the same thing, but that guy freaking out about how unrealistic The Office was because he lived near Scranton and the cars on the show had an unrealistic amount of road salt on them for that time of year was loving amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love Dang (especially his site profile.) They've really made fun of the tech side of SV but the design aesthetics are equally ridiculous.

Is wearing a scarf a SF affectation? I know in LA every costume designer wears one, and a muted serape.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He thought that because of the "just changed CEOs" thing and because he had locked in all these deals that he was immune. I guess he didn't realize that with the recent Hooli deal, she could easily spin his exit a good direction for Pied Piper because he wasn't utilizing lateral thinking or whatever, I'm not good at marketing speak.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I love Dang (especially his site profile.) They've really made fun of the tech side of SV but the design aesthetics are equally ridiculous.

Is wearing a scarf a SF affectation? I know in LA every costume designer wears one, and a muted serape.

scarves are an everywhere thing for arty douchebags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The botched bong hit five minutes off coughing was hilarious, made special by the extremely insightful message in between bellows. We've all done or witnessed it at some point.

• Locked thread