Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kim Jong ill posted:

Snapped the tip portion off the end of my graphite rod, just before it meets the next guide down the rod. Is it still usable? Is it possible/advisable to replace the guide now on the end with a proper tip guide?

Didn't buy this rod too long ago, my first graphite so I'm learning the hard way to be more gentle with it.
You didn't keep the receipt or mail in the warranty?

Fishing rods are like Old Henry pocket knives: you always mail in the warranty, even if it's just to get a second knife. If you didn't care enough to mail in the warranty, then why didn't you buy a cheaper one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

coyo7e posted:

You didn't keep the receipt or mail in the warranty?

Fishing rods are like Old Henry pocket knives: you always mail in the warranty, even if it's just to get a second knife. If you didn't care enough to mail in the warranty, then why didn't you buy a cheaper one?

Because I broke the rod by mistreating it whilst I was trying to retrieve a snag. That's my fault, not a manufacturer's defect, so I don't expect them to cover it. Now I know to treat graphite rods with more respect.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Once you get into the more high-end rods they will usually work with you and replace the rod for free for good customer service reasons, or will give you extremely good deal on a replacement rod.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I learned I know absolutely nothing about fishing the intercostal waterways, the kayaking was amazing but no fish to speak of.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

I learned I know absolutely nothing about fishing the intercostal waterways, the kayaking was amazing but no fish to speak of.

That'll happen sometimes, no shame in it. Getting outside is what really matters. Where'd you go?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I did some fishing at the mouth of Pearl Harbor last night. Got skunked but there was about 10 other locals fishing from the pier with me so it was probably just a slow evening.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tesilential posted:

That'll happen sometimes, no shame in it. Getting outside is what really matters. Where'd you go?

Fishing in NC in Surf City, I was thinking to much like a bass angler probably. I have fished deep sea and surf but those are different beast then kayaking in the intercostal.

Going to do some research and come back out again, need to find some local to me kayaker too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kim Jong ill posted:

Because I broke the rod by mistreating it whilst I was trying to retrieve a snag. That's my fault, not a manufacturer's defect, so I don't expect them to cover it. Now I know to treat graphite rods with more respect.
Ehh, most higher-end manufacturers really don't give a drat, they'll replace a ten year-old rod that you proverbially shut in the car door. Don't feel like a bad person, fill out the warranty honestly and if they feel you were such an abuser of fishing gear they won't give you a new one. They probably will, though.

It's not like REI where people were hiking literally the length of the PCT by stopping in at REI stores in every major urban area along the way and replacing their entire set of hiking and camping gear.. Although maybe my Old Henry quip made it feel like more of a "lol scam them" than I meant it.

Even if you were yanking on the rod like it was an oar in a viking raiding vessel though, finding out how you broke it might help them in the future.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Went fishing last weekend, the whole point was to grab a bag of squid. Our squid jogs kept getting hit by something which was really unusual. There was also a shitload of other boats out around where we were and they aren't usually many, we figured everyone was chasing squid. Until we actually saw the strikes as we pulled the jigs in. ]

Ended up reeling in a few Australian Salmon, poo poo eating but great fun. Everyone was out chasing these, we caught a few and moved on to greener pastures.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Nice sambo, it's great fun casting little slugs into a school of them with a whiting rod. I lost a squid jig yesterday to a couta or pike or something. A couple of taps and then the line went slack, bitten clean through. It was a $20 Sephia too :argh:

A bunch of us took the kayaks out hoping the storms earlier in the week might have bought the tuna in close but they weren't around and all I caught was a pike, a big skate and a gannet which pecked the poo poo out of me when I tried to unhook it. Not a great reward for a 8 hour round trip but it was still good to get out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

And a couple of photos from the day...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
congratulations on your tentacle monster

but wtc is that? It looks kinda like a ray but there's three tails or something :psyduck:

I'm probably missing something simple but what is that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was thinking the same thing. Some sort of angel shark with claspers?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The middle one is the skate's tail, the two either side are its dicks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clasper

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nailed it. Boy do I know my shark dicks.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
You should never screw with a shark... Cause he'll screw you back. Then screw you again at the same time. Ok I'm leaving.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
What water temp do Bass start to become more active?

Edit: That's LMB and SMB, not salt water bass.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

What water temp do Bass start to become more active?

Edit: That's LMB and SMB, not salt water bass.

I think anywhere between 60°F and 80°F is good, depending on other things like depth, time of day, and size of body of water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
There is a dude I know who catches huge rear end bass all winter, so long as the water isn't iced out. He uses jigs and large worms. However, he is willing to fish all day to catch one bass.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Gear's ready to go, Hitting montauk next weekend.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I live on Loch Erne, a lake famous in Northern Ireland for trout, salmon and pike. But I cannot catch fish for poo poo - not even a nibble. I can fish from the shore, or out in my boat - still gently caress all.
Yet there is a kid who comes down most nights on a moped, and within minutes the little bastard pulls out 2 or 3 good sized trout - just casting from the shore.
What am I loving up, or is he the Pied Piper of fish or something?
I have a load of (old) flies, spinners, and whatever rods and reels I need. Do fish just hate me?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ohnonotme posted:

I live on Loch Erne, a lake famous in Northern Ireland for trout, salmon and pike. But I cannot catch fish for poo poo - not even a nibble.

Yeah, the fish hate you. Ask the kid what illegal pop culture drugs he's attracting salmon with.

Just came home from a LIONFISH BLAST. It's where spear fishermen see who can kill the most (invasive awful destroying black bass stocks) lionfish in two days, then the local colleges come and help fillet the fish and take the carcasses for study. Then the fillets are cooked up and served for free to an adoring public. Oh, and swag and two dolla beers for sale. I am full of lionfish ceviche and fry. I also bought a t-shirt and coozie. Nom nom I gotta learn to spearfish.

Look at this big bastard: https://imgur.com/OnWKlTZ

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 14, 2016

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, the fish hate you. Ask the kid what illegal pop culture drugs he's attracting salmon with.

Just came home from a LIONFISH BLAST. It's where spear fishermen see who can kill the most (invasive awful destroying black bass stocks) lionfish in two days, then the local colleges come and help fillet the fish and take the carcasses for study. Then the fillets are cooked up and served for free to an adoring public. Oh, and swag and two dolla beers for sale. I am full of lionfish ceviche and fry. I also bought a t-shirt and coozie. Nom nom I gotta learn to spearfish.

Look at this big bastard: https://imgur.com/OnWKlTZ

Cool, where at?

The local Whole Foods (So. Florida) just started stocking lion fish too. Haven't tried it myself because I have no idea how to prepare it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's a versatile fish can be cooked any of the usual ways. The Florida fish are eating so well the the scientists are reporting lionfish with so much fat they considered obese.
Truly a most American fish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Enigma posted:

Cool, where at?

The local Whole Foods (So. Florida) just started stocking lion fish too. Haven't tried it myself because I have no idea how to prepare it.

The Lionfish Blast was at Brown's Creek Fish Camp. They're catching the bastards all over the Florida reefs though.

https://www.facebook.com/events/627751204060578/

You prepare it like shrimp, it seems. Quickly!

edit: And this is my new favorite t-shirt. Googly mofo dont know what hit him.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 15, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Plenty of restaurants will cook up lionfish for free. Also, catching them increases your bag limit on other fish so everyone should be doing their best to gently caress up that population.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

The Lionfish Blast was at Brown's Creek Fish Camp. They're catching the bastards all over the Florida reefs though.

https://www.facebook.com/events/627751204060578/

You prepare it like shrimp, it seems. Quickly!

edit: And this is my new favorite t-shirt. Googly mofo dont know what hit him.

Oh man, those awful things are that far north? I hadn't realized that.

Is there a reliable way to catch them on a line or is spearfishing really the only way to get them? The waters down here are thick with them but I've never caught one on a hook, and I don't spearfish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Try live bait. They are ambush predators so I doubt the will chase lures.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I heard that the lionfish numbers in some places are so out of control that most stuff like spearfishing won't make a serious dent in the population. Is there much truth to this?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup. It's really really bad.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Lionfish live down to 300m so even if we somehow cleared the reefs and near-shore areas of them, there will always be more that move in from deeper water.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
The future is only lionfish in the oceans and snakeheads in the rivers

:rip:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nah the Indian Ocean has predatory fish and sharks that eat them.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ChrisHansen posted:

The future is only lionfish in the oceans and snakeheads lionfish in the rivers

:rip:

Fixed that for you.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

LingcodKilla posted:

Try live bait. They are ambush predators so I doubt the will chase lures.

Flathead, a very popular species among Australian fishermen, is an ambush predator and probably the most common way to catch them is jigging soft plastic lures along the bottom. Just have to pass an easy meal in front of their face fast enough to illicit an instinctive response.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Good thing there are sharks in rivers too! NATURE IS AMAZING.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_bullsharks_2.html

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kim Jong ill posted:

Flathead, a very popular species among Australian fishermen, is an ambush predator and probably the most common way to catch them is jigging soft plastic lures along the bottom. Just have to pass an easy meal in front of their face fast enough to illicit an instinctive response.

Yeah i think lions are even more lazy. They are ambush gulpers. They can also team up to round up fish and just kinda lazy gulp them. They don't seem to chase anything.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Picked up fishing after a 15 year or so hiatus. Every weekend (usually Saturday night) from 4pm-dark I hit up a spot a coworker swears he pulled out a 5lb largemouth. Everything I have seen so far is 1/5 of that.

I would say that the spot is definitely over fished, but the problem I am having are too manny misses. So far I have had 3 misses on plastic worms and 1 on a top water frog. On the frog I let it crash, counted to 1, and set the hook, only to find my lure hitting me in the chest. All misses have been confirmed by visibly seeing a fish crashing or rolling so I don't think it's over sensitivity from running across the ground/cover I can't see. All misses so far have been at the time of setting the hook.

I was joking with my buddy about buying a 5' youth rod, and using an inline spinner for trout that's tiny, because it seems the hooks we have are too big for the mouths of what is in the water. He has also had several misses in the same scenario. I want to catch some drat fish but really don't want to sacrifice quality with quantity just to catch em all. My thought is bigger bait, potentially bigger fish, or at least hungrier. The hooks I'm using aren't ridiculously huge or anything, and in fact I have down sized. Most have been hitting on various worm sizes, with just a hook through a worm and made weedless. No Carolina/Texas rigging or anything, just floating work and a hook. It doesn't seem to be a presentation problem but landing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Your rod might not have enough backbone to set the hook. Until very recently I have been using softer rods then I really needed and stepping up a bit in power really helped. You could also try light wire hooks if you are not fishing thick cover, I have been liking the lw twistloc Owner hooks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

hagie posted:

Picked up fishing after a 15 year or so hiatus. Every weekend (usually Saturday night) from 4pm-dark I hit up a spot a coworker swears he pulled out a 5lb largemouth. Everything I have seen so far is 1/5 of that.

I would say that the spot is definitely over fished, but the problem I am having are too manny misses. So far I have had 3 misses on plastic worms and 1 on a top water frog. On the frog I let it crash, counted to 1, and set the hook, only to find my lure hitting me in the chest. All misses have been confirmed by visibly seeing a fish crashing or rolling so I don't think it's over sensitivity from running across the ground/cover I can't see. All misses so far have been at the time of setting the hook.

I was joking with my buddy about buying a 5' youth rod, and using an inline spinner for trout that's tiny, because it seems the hooks we have are too big for the mouths of what is in the water. He has also had several misses in the same scenario. I want to catch some drat fish but really don't want to sacrifice quality with quantity just to catch em all. My thought is bigger bait, potentially bigger fish, or at least hungrier. The hooks I'm using aren't ridiculously huge or anything, and in fact I have down sized. Most have been hitting on various worm sizes, with just a hook through a worm and made weedless. No Carolina/Texas rigging or anything, just floating work and a hook. It doesn't seem to be a presentation problem but landing.

For the trout here in CO, I use no more than 4# mono and the smallest spinner or countdown rapala I can find. I pull reasonably slowly against the current and pause for a half second about halfway through the retrieve.

Out here the general rule of thumb is that big lures for trout can work, since only the largest trout can mouth the bait, but small lures trigger a feeding response from all fish, including the biggest trout. Larger lures only frustrate the fisherman if that massive trout doesn't exist where you think it does. On the other hand, on tiny mepps spinners, I've caught 5# rainbows and brown trout up in the mountains.

YMMV