Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I guess we know what happens with that once we find out what the Knightfall protocol is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Knightfall Protocol: name of new hit reality TV series, watch Bruce Wayne LIVE playing his BATMAN persona as he beats up the thugs of Gotham!

"This seems really dangerous..." - IGN
"I like how he begins every episode with, 'Happy Halloween, Gothamites!'" - Christy Lemire, host of At The Movies
"It's cool how, like, justice is served. And I can watch!" - Veronica Erikson, 22
"How does the Riddler even have the time to do all this?" - NBC

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked that Joker sequence. But one thing sort of struck me.
Harley and Eddie?
I never thought about that pairing. It's kind of an interesting idea. On the one hand, the Riddler isn't really a dating person and Harley might only like him because he's mentally unwell. But on the other hand, the opposite might be true. Maybe getting out of her unhealthy relationship for good would actually help Harley enough that she could in turn help Eddie get over his OCD. They are both people who really need to experience some genuine love or friendship.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
At least she can answer the riddle "What's black and white and red all over?"

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm really tempted to google what the Knightfall Protocol is because I am way too curious. If you just wanna release all the other updates >right now< that would be cool by me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Air is lava! posted:

Harley and Eddie?
I never thought about that pairing. It's kind of an interesting idea. On the one hand, the Riddler isn't really a dating person and Harley might only like him because he's mentally unwell. But on the other hand, the opposite might be true. Maybe getting out of her unhealthy relationship for good would actually help Harley enough that she could in turn help Eddie get over his OCD. They are both people who really need to experience some genuine love or friendship.

I believe in the comics when he actually got better for a time Harley leaves Joker and comes and joins him to work together as Private Detectives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

Harley and Eddie?
I never thought about that pairing. It's kind of an interesting idea. On the one hand, the Riddler isn't really a dating person and Harley might only like him because he's mentally unwell.

Well as it's shown, with Joker, she's kind of just drawn to nutty personalities and God knows Eddie's got a screw loose. It also helps that he and Harley are probably actually two of the smarter people in Batman's rogues gallery, between her psychology degree and his... um, riddle obsession (and apparently knack for robotics?)

Joker's fear is more about Harley moving on, but I suppose if there were any of the villains to move on to, Riddler makes more sense than like, Two-Face or something.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

At least she can answer the riddle "What's black and white and red all over?"

:golfclap:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Night10194 posted:

It strikes me, of all superheroes, Batman is probably one of the ones least affected by being unmasked.

His super power is white privilege.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
One thing that I thought was kind of neat was that on the rooftop, when Oracle contacts Batman about how he "Has to save Tim, NO MATTER WHAT.", Joker, over on the side of the screen, also has a little pop up screen showing Barbara talking to him as well.
I have no idea if that has particular significance, I just thought it was an interesting detail.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I guess we know what happens with that once we find out what the Knightfall protocol is.

Batman releases Bane from cryo-stasis to "kill" him. Bane, in a show of "regret" takes over the mantle of the bat. Very poignant and did happen in the comics, sort of.

Kidding, of course :v:

Whatever the next incarnation of the Arkham series, I'd love to see a more independent Harley. Sadly, she won't have Ivy to be BFFs/lovers with, but she's a lot more competent than anyone really gives her credit for. I don't think she'd be able to be the main villain, but one of the better side missions, sure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dooky Dingo posted:

One thing that I thought was kind of neat was that on the rooftop, when Oracle contacts Batman about how he "Has to save Tim, NO MATTER WHAT.", Joker, over on the side of the screen, also has a little pop up screen showing Barbara talking to him as well.
I have no idea if that has particular significance, I just thought it was an interesting detail.

That's not something Joker's doing, it's just a part of Batman's comms interface that shows a file picture of the person he's currently speaking to. It just happens to be in front of Joker there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm kinda curious to see how Batman's true nemesis will react to the reveal here.
There are actually three reactions mostly in character: belittling Gotham because how could they not have realized before, admitting he didn't see it coming before insulting Bruce because what kind of moron dresses as a bat with a bank account of billions, or "I totally realized your identity before the unmasking, honest".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

I'm kinda curious to see how Batman's true nemesis will react to the reveal here.
There are actually three reactions mostly in character: belittling Gotham because how could they not have realized before, admitting he didn't see it coming before insulting Bruce because what kind of moron dresses as a bat with a bank account of billions, or "I totally realized your identity before the unmasking, honest".

Let me tell you without spoiling anything, it's wonderful.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, was Batman killing all the Jokers when he did Joker Takedowns? I couldn't tell where he was stomping.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

RareAcumen posted:

So, was Batman killing all the Jokers when he did Joker Takedowns? I couldn't tell where he was stomping.

The way he held their heads up and kicked them in the back, I think he was breaking their spines. Revenge for Barbara, maybe?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Giving in to his Joker side by taking down the Jokers with the kind of needless brutality the clown himself would use.

Has anyone compared Joker-Batman's moves to the playable Joker in the Arkham Asylum DLC?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Felinoid posted:

The way he held their heads up and kicked them in the back, I think he was breaking their spines. Revenge for Barbara, maybe?

Yeah, I got that part. I just wasn't sure if the big ol boot to the face was crossing them off or not.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
An idea that is a big part of the Batman mythos is that WHO Batman is doesn't matter. Of course, only Bruce Wayne has the training, skills, money and willpower to be the Batman, but Batman represents an idea - that people in Gotham don't have to be afraid of crime and corruption, because if one man can stand up, anyone can. Granted, it's an idea that works better in versions with less supervillians (like the Nolan films), since it's easier to overcome fear of a cop on the take than it is a giant crocodile man who lives in the sewers and eats people, but still.

That newspaper headline is great.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

Let me tell you without spoiling anything, it's wonderful.

Considering the only person that knew before this game was Strange, and how absolutely livid Eddy was about Strange figuring the Bat out before he did himself, I could see all three responses to pop on by, in any order, over the city-wide PA systems to Batman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Omobono posted:

I think you'll find that Batman's true nemesis is the Penguin. The Joker's hallucination said so. :colbert:

Dinictus posted:

Considering the only person that knew before this game was Strange

Bane, Shiva, and Ra's as well.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bane, Shiva, and Ra's as well.

Whoops :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Except Bane forgot between Origins and Asylum, because continuity.

I'm also really looking forward to Eddie's reaction to Batman's identity.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Worth noting that most if not all of the villains who take a ride to GCPD in the Batmobile when you capture them at the end of their sidequests have different dialogues depending on if you capture them before or after Bats was unmasked. Twoface's is kinda sad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I assume there's going to be a bonus video of this. I could just go to YouTube, but eh.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love how at the end if you've been doing most of the sidequests, Batman is all like "I'm done forever, I just need to get this warzone poo poo off the streets so it's safe for the people of Gotham. Also, I really need to punch Riddler in the dick right about now."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OldMemes posted:

An idea that is a big part of the Batman mythos is that WHO Batman is doesn't matter. Of course, only Bruce Wayne has the training, skills, money and willpower to be the Batman, but Batman represents an idea - that people in Gotham don't have to be afraid of crime and corruption, because if one man can stand up, anyone can. Granted, it's an idea that works better in versions with less supervillians (like the Nolan films), since it's easier to overcome fear of a cop on the take than it is a giant crocodile man who lives in the sewers and eats people, but still.

That newspaper headline is great.

The irony, of course, being that any time anyone else has tried to take up the mask or whatever they fail miserably and usually make things worse. Not to mention all the dead/crippled sidekicks who tried to follow in his footsteps.

"Anyone can be me, if they have billions of dollars to devote to nocturnal violence and don't get iced in their first couple months."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The irony, of course, being that any time anyone else has tried to take up the mask or whatever they fail miserably and usually make things worse. Not to mention all the dead/crippled sidekicks who tried to follow in his footsteps.

Nah, Nightwing did it for a while, and everything went relatively fine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Except Bane forgot between Origins and Asylum, because continuity.

I'm also really looking forward to Eddie's reaction to Batman's identity.

Bane forgot between Origins and Asylum because he overdosed on venom and then took a power plant to the head.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TwoPair posted:

Nah, Nightwing did it for a while, and everything went relatively fine.

Yeah, for about 2 years. And he would have kept going indefinitely fairly well up until the new 52 reboot.

Which then had Grayson being unmasked publically and deciding "Well gently caress it, guess I'm james bond now."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Bane forgot between Origins and Asylum because he overdosed on venom and then took a power plant to the head.

I could have sworn I remembered it happening in Origins.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alexeythegreat posted:

I could have sworn I remembered it happening in Origins.

It did, correct.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Didn't Bane imply In Asylum that he'd broken Batman's back before, so a version of Knightfall had already happened in the Arkham-verse? I think it was a combat taunt or a game over screen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grapplejack posted:

Disagree: If you look at the TVs during the freakout him knocking over the camera ends the broadcast; no one sees what happens next. Also, revealing that Bruce Wayne is Batman effectively kills Batman. He can't do what he does anymore without actual repercussions.

Scarecrow won. :colbert: It was a Pyrrhic victory for him, but he accomplished his overall goal; end Batman.

That depends on if this is or isn't a set up to a potential Battle of the Cowl scenario. You end Batman, big deal. That doesn't mean poo poo if they don't know about his extended network of sidekicks and the Bat Family itself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OldMemes posted:

Didn't Bane imply In Asylum that he'd broken Batman's back before, so a version of Knightfall had already happened in the Arkham-verse? I think it was a combat taunt or a game over screen.

Well, that was before the Arkham games were established as their own universe and the game was just a generic Batman story, so there might be room for retcon.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Crabtree posted:

That depends on if this is or isn't a set up to a potential Battle of the Cowl scenario. You end Batman, big deal. That doesn't mean poo poo if they don't know about his extended network of sidekicks and the Bat Family itself.

Well, the demasking has consequences to the bat family too. Alfred and Lucius are for sure going to be called in for questioning on suspicion of being accomplices to his vigiliante-ism, as well as anyone else with any power in any of his companies. If Tim's still officially his ward (and not like moved out into an apartment somewhere) they're going to take a long hard look at him too, and should probably figure out he's Robin in about two seconds, what with his "disguise". The only one I don't see being under suspicion is Oracle, and that's simply because Daddy's gonna keep his mouth shut about her involvement and there's no direct link. Hell, Gordon himself will probably be investigated too if they find the tiniest string between him and little Brucie. It's gonna be a freaking circus.

Unless, y'know, comic books. v:v:v

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

This might be me misremembering something over the couple of months/years of gameplay scruffy has so helpfully demonstrated to us, but haven't we seen the old "Batman's worst fear is becoming Joker, but Joker's worst fear is Batman" trope been played out before? I get the weirdest sense of deja vu that we've gone over that plot point before in an Arkham game...

batmans biggest fear is loosing people he cares about and losing control and killing the baddies because he relizes he wouldnt stop. Joker's is being forgotten.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Felinoid posted:

Well, the demasking has consequences to the bat family too. Alfred and Lucius are for sure going to be called in for questioning on suspicion of being accomplices to his vigiliante-ism, as well as anyone else with any power in any of his companies. If Tim's still officially his ward (and not like moved out into an apartment somewhere) they're going to take a long hard look at him too, and should probably figure out he's Robin in about two seconds, what with his "disguise". The only one I don't see being under suspicion is Oracle, and that's simply because Daddy's gonna keep his mouth shut about her involvement and there's no direct link. Hell, Gordon himself will probably be investigated too if they find the tiniest string between him and little Brucie. It's gonna be a freaking circus.

Well, first off, I'm guessing that the billionaire industrialist has enough sway to disappear himself, and Alfred if necessary. He's white, he's rich, he's powerful, and he knows Superman. The two of them can just go live on the Watchtower with the League.

Lucius just ran Wayne tech and doesn't even have any direct links to Batman. He can always shrug and say "I thought it was odd Mr. Wayne would order kevlar by the ton, but he didn't pay me to ask questions. Maybe he just needs a lot of really strong condoms."

Oracle probably has Gordon keeping some of the heat off of her. Anyone who knows the connection between Barbara and Batgirl/Oracle is either a) Bat-family b) a loyal GCPD officer or c) an unreliable villain.

Tim is an adult in this reality, and probably no longer a ward, though IIRC, he was legally adopted by Bruce and his full name is Timothy *something* Drake-Wayne. Again, like Lucius, he can just say that Bruce kept weird hours and he just thought he was being eccentric. Doesn't exactly dodge the Robin bullet, but my guess is that Gordon can fake up some alibi or another. poo poo, have Dick (or Jason) pop in wearing an old Robin costume and appear with Tim at some public event. "He can't be Robin! I'm Robin!"

Jason is still presumed dead, so even if someone figured out he was a Robin, no one would likely add this up.

Gordon probably has the most to lose, but in any scenario, I doubt anyone would testify against him. Yeah, he paired up with the lunatic vigilante - and saved this city and possibly the world a dozen times over. Extenuating circumstances, blah blah blah. Or, since Batman is "dead" anyway, he could say he was coerced. Who's going to argue that you were NOT intimidated by Batman into complying with his requests? Sure, it kind of shits on his memory, but, you know, "Hero this city needs..."

TL:DR - Yeah, comic books

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What about Dick, who lived with Wayne since almost the begining, and Robin showed up right after he moved in with Bruce, and Nightwing who showed up right after Dick moved out?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about Dick, who lived with Wayne since almost the begining, and Robin showed up right after he moved in with Bruce, and Nightwing who showed up right after Dick moved out?

Dick is a detective in Bludhaven so he could pull the same blue shield of ignorance there as Gordon. He could have some area specific issues as Bludhaven is different than Gotham as instead of gangs ascending upwards its all 1% corruption from the ultra rich going downwards, but he's a good standing detective there. Assuming of course that Bludhaven hasn't exploded due to the sapient chemical monster Chemo during Infinite Crisis. Or depending on Batman Inc, if he faked his death too and is a super spy.

Also remember that most of the good cops in Gotham loving love Batman at this point. The entire cop union would probably defend Bruce up to the 9s and decry anyone that spoke bad of his vigilantism.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that was really dumb. A bunch of meaningless hallucinations. Batman is suddenly immune to fear toxin because I guess he has that Mr Burns things where all the things that would kill him are perfectly balanced so he's actually fine? And then the guy who's been trying to kill him all game suddenly decides to save him? What?

And that Joker sequence was the worst. Joker knew that was all fake, that it was just Batman imagining everyone forgetting about him, so why did it affect him like that? And what happens if you don't play along? It's a hallucination and it ends with the Joker getting his arse kicked anyway, so if he gets "killed" by all the other villains, what happens? If you get a game over, that makes no sense, but if you don't then there are no stakes. And what about the bit with all the Batman statues? What happens if you just ignore them?

Grapplejack posted:

revealing that Bruce Wayne is Batman effectively kills Batman. He can't do what he does anymore without actual repercussions.
Why not?

Felinoid posted:

Batman and friends are quite openly working with the GCPD. It's pretty clear that they haven't been considered criminals for years, and I don't see why that would change just because some of their real names are released. If it was OK for the police to work with Batman instead of arresting him then why wouldn't it be OK for them to work with Bruce Wayne, Billionaire Vigilante?

• Locked thread