Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alright then, I'll amend to "it's a drag car, no wonder it blew the gently caress up".

Last time I went drag racing it was as crew to a Honda S600 with a bridgeport 13b rotary, and my boss, the driver, was buzzing it off the line at around 14k. He would hit full throttle at around -0.8. No nitro, no turbo, best time he saw while I was working with him was 8.9. This was during the first run of Bush II.

Memento fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Memento posted:

Alright then, I'll amend to "it's a drag car, no wonder it blew the gently caress up".

Last time I went drag racing it was as crew to a Honda S600 with a bridgeport 13b rotary, and my boss, the driver, was buzzing it off the line at around 14k. He would hit full throttle at around -0.8. No nitro, no turbo, best time he saw while I was working with him was 8.9. This was during the first run of Bush II.

A lot of the cars have cut offs for staging too so they aren't just bouncing on the limiter when they are on the line.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

I wonder what noise this made.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Falken posted:

A $$$ noise.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, if that's a 2.5l NA engine then it'd cost very little as those engines in particular are cheap as chips. Now if it was a 2.5 turbo engine...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Is that the van engine?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Looks like a 944.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah that's an early 944 2.5NA, though what the hell happened to it I have no idea. Explodey cam?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah that's an early 944 2.5NA, though what the hell happened to it I have no idea. Explodey cam?

Rocket valve?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Maybe? I have no idea unless a hydraulic lifter completely collapsed and escaped in an over-rev.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The rubber hose going into the throttle body doesn't look to be suitable for boosted applications.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, I think the escaping parts even removed the proper entry from the firing order list cast into the cover.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kastein posted:

Wow, I think the escaping parts even removed the proper entry from the firing order list cast into the cover.

Maybe this head was jealous of #2 always blowing the bottom end out, and decided it wanted a piece of the action.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

The order is 1 - 3 - 4 - OutOfTheValveCover - etc

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Falken posted:

PORS:aaaaa:HE

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

hahaha

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I think that looks more like either the oil cap caught a deadblow mallet or similar from the side by accident, or the cap area got used for leverage, maybe trying to prybar the fuel rail off or something. There's no exit spray of oil, not even drips at the lip.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 17, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

I think that looks more like either the oil cap caught a deadblow mallet or similar from the side by accident, or the cap area got used for leverage, maybe trying to prybar injectors out or something. There's no exit spray of oil, not even drips at the lip.

And the cam looks to be in one piece.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Except the filler cap isn't on the valve cover, it's that yellow cap tucked away at the top of the image.

E: I mean maaaaybe something went horribly wrong while removing the cover fastener from the missing hole, but it takes a hell of a lot of energy to punch through such a heavy casting with a clean break, no bending like you'd expect from overloading it with a prybar.

E2: Also there is oil pooled in the strut tower.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 17, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The fracture also cones outward rather than inward, so I'd assume it was forced outward.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My bad, Casnorf used to have an early 944 and I conflated it with my redblock Volvo.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Here's my guess. The plug for the port there was in some way badly seized, the person put a breaker bar to it and hit the bar with a hammer. Yeah same thought as Enourmo.

I did the same thing trying to get the top coolant elbow off of mine. One of the two bolts was seized, I whacked it, and it came out with a grape sized chunk of head. Good thing I was taking the head out anyway to have it machined--the shop was able to goober weld a stud in without blocking the coolant passage.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.click2houston.com/news/national/all-4-wheels-fall-off-after-brake-job

quote:

After the Jiffy Lube employees told him there was a problem, he walked up the street to find his car with a broken windshield and a technician trying to replace the wheels.

Jiffy Lube strikes again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How the hell was the child's car seat damaged?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Godholio posted:

Tech was looking for the drain plug, got lost.

Heh, and they only gave him a rental for a week. It'll probably take a month for the insurance to play out so he can get a check and go buy a new car.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Godholio posted:

Tech going for a joyride in it when the wheels fell off?

Or, I think with most car seats, once its been in any accident, you write it off and get a new one to make sure its safe.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

He musta been sick on Lug nut day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

They should be replaced after any collision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cakefool posted:

They should be replaced after any collision.

Right, but that's a preventative measure most of the time. I though it was actually damaged because the article said it was damaged.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tater_salad posted:

:perfect:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

Right, but that's a preventative measure most of the time. I though it was actually damaged because the article said it was damaged.

Depending on the seat if it uses the car seatbelt to restrain the child and seat some aren't very secure without the belt closed so it could have been thrown about. The car could also have been slid sideways into a post, hitting the door the seat was next to. Or something inside the car could have hit it.

Or the guy insisted it was replaced because they're paying and they hosed his car six ways sideways on a joyride.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My guess was that the flying car seat is the reason for the broken windshield.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tater_salad posted:

You've been waiting for this opportunity since you registered and I applaud your long game.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Enourmo posted:

You've been waiting for this opportunity since you registered and I applaud your long game.

I must say that I did not have a long game in mind, I don't search AI every day looking for wheels to fall off of cars from jiffy lube.. and really my username was something that poped into my head as to not be linked to my other internet online things at the time.

but I will say that when I saw this, I felt like it needed to be said.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tater_salad posted:

dude... almost 9 loving years.
:bravo:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I was looking through my Dropbox earlier today, and I know I've posted it in this thread before, but some people might not have seen it:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

My guess was that the flying car seat is the reason for the broken windshield.

This is why everyone, whethet you think you are good at poo poo or not, should get your carseat install inspected. Basically every local fire department will do it for free. Some shocking number of accidents result in car seats coming loose because of botched installs.
This goes double for seatbelt installs, but even with latch, your kid's life is worth 30 minutes.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Exit Strategy posted:

I was looking through my Dropbox earlier today, and I know I've posted it in this thread before, but some people might not have seen it:

That'll be perfect for my lightweight high-speed low-drag skeletonized build.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Exit Strategy posted:

Diesel injector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel injector?

Looks like an AR bolt to me.