Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess every once in a while the Army isn't completely awful. The HHC CO ordered me to not take a PT test pending my permanent profile (my temporary profile for my back expired this week and I have to get a permanent one), stating "Further injuring yourself for a job you do two days a month isn't worth." Then he made me talk to a bunch of E6s and O3s who have hosed up backs and who wished they hadn't kept covering it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang bro I get the arguments but for real, go to ranger school while you still have some huah in the moto tank, you will save yourself so much grief later you have absolutely 0 idea.

Your chain of command isn't even a real big boy line army unit yet is it? I wouldn't judge how politics works in the big army based on that. I would wager that in whatever actual BCT/ABCT/FGGT you end up at most of the senior O's are tabbed especially once you hit LTC and higher. Ranger school is just one of those army gaieties no matter what your real job is, unless like, you're some loser support MOS officer.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 15, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it really takes a year or three for the true horror of the army to sink in. you'll get the "man its just this unit pcs and things will be better" speech and you pcs and nope its the exact same poo poo. It's just sucking dicks for OER/NCOER bullet points. making GBS threads on people for "tradition" and poo poo like that. you're probably thinking "man these guys are just a bunch of goon bitches bitching about poo poo" but until you open your eyes you're just another loving noble bitch buying into that loving honor and integrity bullshit, no matter how many people you gently caress over.

i mean that as the big "you" not you personally yet mustang

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

not you personally YET mustang

Anakin's path to the dark side is just beginning

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

I guess every once in a while the Army isn't completely awful. The HHC CO ordered me to not take a PT test pending my permanent profile (my temporary profile for my back expired this week and I have to get a permanent one), stating "Further injuring yourself for a job you do two days a month isn't worth." Then he made me talk to a bunch of E6s and O3s who have hosed up backs and who wished they hadn't kept covering it up.

a good co

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Justin Tyme posted:

Mustang bro I get the arguments but for real, go to ranger school while you still have some huah in the moto tank, you will save yourself so much grief later you have absolutely 0 idea.

Your chain of command isn't even a real big boy line army unit yet is it? I wouldn't judge how politics works in the big army based on that. I would wager that in whatever actual BCT/ABCT/FGGT you end up at most of the senior O's are tabbed especially once you hit LTC and higher. Ranger school is just one of those army gaieties no matter what your real job is, unless like, you're some loser support MOS officer.

I'm at Lewis now, not at Benning anymore. Only way I can go to Ranger School is if my unit sends me or if I go while I'm at the career course.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just about three years ago now that I read the DLI thread and thought it sounded pretty cool and enlisted w/ a BA

don't enlist

army is gay

i hate my life

gonna ETS in two years and counting down the days

tbh have a gay wife too

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

I'm at Lewis now, not at Benning anymore. Only way I can go to Ranger School is if my unit sends me or if I go while I'm at the career course.

I dunno how it is there but I know AT BRAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG it wasn't a matter of your unit sending you, it was a matter of you submitting a packet because I guess they had infinite ranger school slots or something and they guilt-tripped that poo poo hard. Just be ready for the "when are you going to ranger school?" question because it will come.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gently caress you mustang for still being in

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress you for still being in

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Mustang posted:

If you're not in an IN BN, your unit will never send you. I know that sounds pessimistic, but once you're settled into your unit ask around and see how many dudes they've sent, because it's probably zero. You see it as career advancement, but your CO/BN sees it as losing an LT (that they won't get a temporary replacement for) for anywhere from three to nine months. If you want to go then you need to be getting solid OERs for the next few years and snag it as a part of going to the MCCC. Otherwise it's never going to happen. Maybe peacetime army is different. I doubt it.

And, of course, gently caress you if you're still in

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

iKon posted:

If you're not in an IN BN, your unit will never send you. I know that sounds pessimistic, but once you're settled into your unit ask around and see how many dudes they've sent, because it's probably zero. You see it as career advancement, but your CO/BN sees it as losing an LT (that they won't get a temporary replacement for) for anywhere from three to nine months. If you want to go then you need to be getting solid OERs for the next few years and snag it as a part of going to the MCCC. Otherwise it's never going to happen. Maybe peacetime army is different. I doubt it.

And, of course, gently caress you if you're still in

ding ding ding ding ding

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress all that noise. Fly low, avoid dumb poo poo schools and taskings where the idiot beside you will probably kill or maim you, get the gently caress out, and use that GI Bill to chill out for the next few years when you get out.

Who gives a single solitary flying blue gently caress what some army cocksucker will think if you haven't gone to some dumb poo poo school. Are you gonna get paid less? No? Then gently caress that noise, stay safe and try and keep your body in one piece.

Fuckin' army poo poo don't matter a good god drat unless you are trying to be a general, and sorry you just don't have the hookup. If you can ride out your time sitting behind a desk doing poo poo that doesn't matter then you are way ahead of the idiot out in the field risking life and limb doing poo poo that doesn't matter. Anyone who says it isn't is wrong and their opinion doesn't matter.

Get paid, get the gently caress out, stay safe.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

not caring here posted:

gently caress all that noise. Fly low, avoid dumb poo poo schools and taskings where the idiot beside you will probably kill or maim you, get the gently caress out, and use that GI Bill to chill out for the next few years when you get out.

Who gives a single solitary flying blue gently caress what some army cocksucker will think if you haven't gone to some dumb poo poo school. Are you gonna get paid less? No? Then gently caress that noise, stay safe and try and keep your body in one piece.

Fuckin' army poo poo don't matter a good god drat unless you are trying to be a general, and sorry you just don't have the hookup. If you can ride out your time sitting behind a desk doing poo poo that doesn't matter then you are way ahead of the idiot out in the field risking life and limb doing poo poo that doesn't matter. Anyone who says it isn't is wrong and their opinion doesn't matter.

Should be added to the OP, imo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

not caring here posted:

Fuckin' army

This

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

Should be added to the OP, imo.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Ace of Baes posted:

tuesday is my last day and im not even going to formation, im showing up at the final out building at like 5:30 and standing outside their doors as soon as i see people start lining up, i scheduled my appt for the other stuff as soon as they open and talked to S1 so I can sign out on leave at noon that day, ive already double checked to make sure everything i needed to clear is good, so hopefully the army cant find a way to gently caress me over for the literal 20 minutes ill be in my unit footprint for the rest of my contract

Raise your hand if you are still in the army, everyone

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
and say smdftb if you're out

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
smdftb

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Only thing I'm raising is my dick when they hand me my DD214 so I can use it as my spank material for the next few years

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
SMDFTB

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
smdftb

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

smdftb

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Weekly reminder

FYGM SMDFTB

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Formal PEB next week! :woop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soulex posted:

Congrats!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Triggs posted:

That doesn't surprise me

Story?

He wanted Nesquick but didn't have a spoon, so he moto'd hisself an answer, rah?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

Grats!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Serious question for all you fuckers who are out. Do you regret your time in? If you could go back and do it again, would you?

I'm still kind of ambivalent on it, myself. Haven't decided if I have completely wasted these 3 years or not.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

eh, it's over now so i can say it was worth it

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I miss is all my Iraq war buddies. gently caress everything else about the army.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Aranan posted:

Serious question for all you fuckers who are out. Do you regret your time in? If you could go back and do it again, would you?

I'm still kind of ambivalent on it, myself. Haven't decided if I have completely wasted these 3 years or not.

I used to ask myself this question a lot, but the way I look at it now is you don't get to go back and re-do your life, so you just have to make peace with the past being the past. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy living in Regretsville.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I'm not out..yet (October). But I'll be retired (as in not needing to work ever again) at 37. All my physical ailments are going to be taken care of the rest of my life. I have some college degrees. I'm going back to college for free (will be making money actually) for another degree. Met my awesome wife (we've been together since my first year in the Army). And have traveled the world and lived everywhere.

I know we're all super cynical, and I'm not super pleased with everything about the Army, but I feel I've won the game.

*edit* And American civilians worship the military. Like, it's insane how much civilians in the U.S. love us.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I hate feeling old and starting a second career next to people 5-10 years younger than me, but on the other hand I actually know I'm doing something I want because I learned what I didn't want through the army.

Side benefit, I know what I'm doing and people gtfo my way because of it.

Every time the vet thing comes up and some guy says "I always wanted to serve but blah blah" I realize I made the right choice.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Zeris posted:

I hate feeling old and starting a second career next to people 5-10 years younger than me, but on the other hand I actually know I'm doing something I want because I learned what I didn't want through the army.

Side benefit, I know what I'm doing and people gtfo my way because of it.

Every time the vet thing comes up and some guy says "I always wanted to serve but blah blah" I realize I made the right choice.

Word for word same.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Aranan posted:

Almost out, no regrets. I joined with literally nothing but the clothes on my back. The Army saved me from homelessness (again) and a poo poo town with no way of getting the gently caress out. Sure it broke me in the process, but in the end it was worth it. I got to live in Germany for 3 years, visit many different countries not related to combat deployments, and met my wife who let me do sex stuff until we had kids.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I guess I can say it was worth it even with all the bullshit, because otherwise I'd be living a shittier life just like the rest of my family who barely made it through highschool and none of them have ever been to college, they all work lovely jobs too. I don't have to worry about money, (renting) a nice house, and I'm getting paid to go to college to get into a career I like. I'm broken mentally and physically but I can mostly deal with it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I'd probably redo it all, even with the gently caress-gently caress games and screwed up knee, shoulder, and back. Might even pick a different MOS.

I was in peace-time during the end of the cold-war, stuck on Bragg in a Airborne unit without wings, cause I didn't want to go.

I liked what I did on active, I hated Bragg. My reserve unit misadventures soured me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Aranan posted:

i don't regret my 5 years, but the army can (often) suck huge amounts of rear end. people who are considering joining really can't even appreciate what stupidity awaits them until they've gone through it, though.

i actually loving listened to the gip "how to army, noble-flavor (OCS)" advice because i wanted to join with a college degree back in 2009. thank gently caress i did that because lol at you if you're enlisted in the army. the army is enough of a punishment if your command climate is garbage as an officer, but i'd have killed myself if i had to go through some of what i did as a joe or fresh sergeant.

anywho, being non-infantry in a an IN BN was actually great, as was deploying to afghanistan as an arty PL.

i didn't go to any schools because gently caress the army, met some great people and had above-average supervisors.

like you, i don't know if i would do it over again. i'd still get out after doing my (combat arms) LT time. some guys have a boner about taking command, but that poo poo seems like a pain in the dick and i personally think you've already hit a career-high after your platoon time. i got lucky with where and how i landed, and the risk of getting dumped into lovely organizations hugely outweighs the chance you might go to a decent unit/place.

i think there's a bit of the "grass is always greener" about getting out, but if you can handle being an adult, it's a lot better. i blew the tire on my car this morning and all i had to do was tell my boss, "i'm taking the day off."

i didn't have to beg a major to be let go after being told "figure out how to make this division change of command cause it's pretty loving important ablooobloooo ablooooooo" gently caress being on staff.

• Locked thread