Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

I thought they went to ASICs now?

as a seasoned miner, i only wear adidas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Subjunctive posted:

So I'm looking for a switched HDMI splitter. That is, I want to have a single input, and select which of the two outputs it goes to. (I don't think it'll work if they're both connected at the same time.) All the splitters I can find are "always on" to both, and all the switches I can find are multi-input/single-output.

My fallback is to have a short HDMI cable to the top of my desk with a F+F adapter, and then switch them manually when I use the different outputs, but that seems pretty uncivilized.

E: I wonder if I can just run a switch backwards...

I've never used one of these but they do make Bi-Directional HDMI switches:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Ibis-Bi-Directional-Passthrough/dp/B00629NHW6

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rexxed posted:

I've never used one of these but they do make Bi-Directional HDMI switches:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Ibis-Bi-Directional-Passthrough/dp/B00629NHW6

God bless you. I wasn't searching correctly I guess.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This won't add any latency since it's not actively doing anything, right? I might get one of these for my consoles

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Does this really mean all the buttcoin miners will buy up all the 1080 and 1070 cards?

If that happens then I guess that means I'll be buying an AMD Polaris card or a 970/980 card during a fire sale.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:rip: ~nextgen~ nvidia.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Later in this post you will find graphs from CB website, which unfortunately are polluted with strange cards like ‘Kung Fury’.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, considering it's not may 17th yet, that poo poo is probably BS.

But holy lol I'd laff so hard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hrm. NVidia OpenCL performance is equal to or better than its CUDA performance these days, right? I want to make sure that one variable accounted for?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Subjunctive posted:

God bless you. I wasn't searching correctly I guess.

Monoprice refers to them as "True Matrix HDMI Switches".

Otakufag posted:

I've got a lovely i5 2400 running at 3.1ghz from like 5 years ago together with a gtx960, do you think upgrading to a 1070 will produce too much bottleneck? Just aiming to play at 1080p with everything else maxed.

Only for the most CPU-heavy games. You're more likely to see the bottleneck in something like a C2D or low-end C2Q, everything since Sandy Bridge has been small increments compared to pre-Nehalem. A Sandy-Bridge CPU, 8GB memory, SSD + *70 series is still plenty compared to what the consoles are capable of doing.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Best box opening, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQme7walrys&t=30s

Like, holy poo poo. I wish my 980 Ti box was like that.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'm utterly dumb-founded as to what the pros and cons between the different distributors of cards actually do (or don't do) when it comes to offering different editions of a single GPU. I feel like I'm becoming cross-eyed.

Is there some site that offers comparisons between builds of the same type of GPUs somewhere and I'm not properly searching for it? I just want to figure out what the pros and cons between Zotac and MSi and all those other random companies' offerings are at the end of the day beyond their kind of obnoxious logos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SlayVus posted:

Best box opening, ever.

I laughed. But yeah, that package design is sexy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I'm utterly dumb-founded as to what the pros and cons between the different distributors of cards actually do (or don't do) when it comes to offering different editions of a single GPU. I feel like I'm becoming cross-eyed.

Is there some site that offers comparisons between builds of the same type of GPUs somewhere and I'm not properly searching for it? I just want to figure out what the pros and cons between Zotac and MSi and all those other random companies' offerings are at the end of the day beyond their kind of obnoxious logos.

The pros and cons basically come down to stuff like the temps the GPU runs at, how quiet the cooler is, extra power delivery for overclocking and features like extra BIOS. The other thing is customer service and warranty, there the best is probably EVGA.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

I don't think customer service and warranty is a plus for someone like me who lives outside the States. It doesn't look like there's a good comparison table anywhere for all the companies' offerings, even though the card I'm looking at currently is a relatively older model (730 GT).

I feel like a dummy at the moment, really. I'm cross-referencing this list on Wikipedia mostly and guiding myself by looking at the latest cards with PCIe 2.0 x16 and a watt consumption similar to 50W. :shrug: Probably too simple-minded of me, but I don't know how much of a waste splurging on a more recent card would actually be.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Generally you want a site like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech for those kinds of comparisons, but they're usually only the higher cards of a given generation. Sites don't bother testing the low range cards much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

Best box opening, ever.

Don't the Titan boxes come like that?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I don't think customer service and warranty is a plus for someone like me who lives outside the States. It doesn't look like there's a good comparison table anywhere for all the companies' offerings, even though the card I'm looking at currently is a relatively older model (730 GT).

I feel like a dummy at the moment, really. I'm cross-referencing this list on Wikipedia mostly and guiding myself by looking at the latest cards with PCIe 2.0 x16 and a watt consumption similar to 50W. :shrug: Probably too simple-minded of me, but I don't know how much of a waste splurging on a more recent card would actually be.

A card like that isn't worth spending money on, it's slower than an older iGPU. PCIe 1.0/2.0/3.0 does not matter since they are all cross compatible. The lowest card I would consider worth spending money on is a 750Ti. I went back and read through your posts but your situation is a little unclear, could you clarify?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Party Plane Jones posted:

Generally you want a site like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech for those kinds of comparisons, but they're usually only the higher cards of a given generation. Sites don't bother testing the low range cards much.

Techpowerup is the most thorough and scientific IMO

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Oh, sure:

I've currently got a desktop compy that is probably somewhere around 6+ years old (i7 860 @ 2.8 MHz CPU mounted on an Intel DH55TC motherboard, I think it all came with the Antec Sonata III 500 tower it's all mounted in- including the 500W PSU), and have only recently started using it again after letting it sit for a couple of years gathering dust (the CPU cooling fan came loose and the thermal paste had hardened and become useless right after, and I only recently got around to cleaning and replacing it). The GeForce 9500 GT I installed in it had its fan stop working sometime before said thermal paste snafu. Despite cleaning the fan and making sure it could still rotate, it appears the GPU itself can't start it up. It doesn't look like the cable or ports were damaged. It isn't a big deal, the card still works relatively fine despite the lack of its fan, so I've just left it as-is.

Right now I'm just weighing between replacing the card's fan and sticking with it for longer until I decide to splurge and upgrade the whole thing all over again, or if I should start upgrading it all piece by piece and actually getting a more recent GPU instead of just repairing my current one. And if I get a new GPU, I'm trying to determine what model would benefit me most without me straight up buying a new compy instead, so I've been working within the constraints of the rest of its parts.

Or, in other words, do I pay around 8 bucks to ebay just so I can rest easy knowing I replaced a fan in an outdated GPU that so far hasn't seemed to need it, or do I just get the latest GPU my setup can handle without additional expenses and take advantage of maybe some or all of those fancy GeForce Experience functions that my current build can only tease me about? That's the situation I'm in, I think. Not really a situation so much as me twiddling my thumbs and trying to reason out my cheapness, maybe.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I read briefly about the Vulkan announcement and saw id's presentation where they uncapped Doom's FPS, and it was ~200 with Vulkan (and a 1080 card). I tried looking at the internet to know more about Vulkan, but I couldn't find anything about how you enable it for supported games. Does it just work if your card supports it, not work if it doesn't? I know that very few games support it currently but I could not find an answer to "how to enable Vulkan" or similar search queries.

Or is Vulkan a gimmick?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vulkan is a graphics API, and basically this exact question was asked on the last page or two, with a good explanation/response.

e: Okay, maybe a few more pages back than that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=766#post459779278

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Oh, sure:

I've currently got a desktop compy that is probably somewhere around 6+ years old (i7 860 @ 2.8 MHz CPU mounted on an Intel DH55TC motherboard, I think it all came with the Antec Sonata III 500 tower it's all mounted in- including the 500W PSU), and have only recently started using it again after letting it sit for a couple of years gathering dust (the CPU cooling fan came loose and the thermal paste had hardened and become useless right after, and I only recently got around to cleaning and replacing it). The GeForce 9500 GT I installed in it had its fan stop working sometime before said thermal paste snafu. Despite cleaning the fan and making sure it could still rotate, it appears the GPU itself can't start it up. It doesn't look like the cable or ports were damaged. It isn't a big deal, the card still works relatively fine despite the lack of its fan, so I've just left it as-is.

Right now I'm just weighing between replacing the card's fan and sticking with it for longer until I decide to splurge and upgrade the whole thing all over again, or if I should start upgrading it all piece by piece and actually getting a more recent GPU instead of just repairing my current one. And if I get a new GPU, I'm trying to determine what model would benefit me most without me straight up buying a new compy instead, so I've been working within the constraints of the rest of its parts.

Or, in other words, do I pay around 8 bucks to ebay just so I can rest easy knowing I replaced a fan in an outdated GPU that so far hasn't seemed to need it, or do I just get the latest GPU my setup can handle without additional expenses and take advantage of maybe some or all of those fancy GeForce Experience functions that my current build can only tease me about? That's the situation I'm in, I think. Not really a situation so much as me twiddling my thumbs and trying to reason out my cheapness, maybe.

Hmmm, I would wait on the GPU upgrade for at least a month if the current one is working, that would give prices a chance to settle down. I would replace the PSU, it was not a great one back when it was made and it is old enough now that replacement would be a wise idea, you can also transfer a new PSU to a new system if you do decide to rebuild completely. Another good, cheap upgrade would be replacing the RAM with 8GB of DDR3, 2GB is seriously lacking, even 4GB is very low, however DDR3 would not be compatible with a newer system so it's ~$30 down the drain. An SSD would be a good idea if you can swing it, it will greatly speed up your system and make it feel new, it's a shame that you only have SATA 2.0 on your motherboard but an SSD would still be a pretty big upgrade. Anyway, your CPU is old but it's still an i7, it should hold up pretty well with the extra RAM, a good video card and a SSD. What does your budget look like? Are you getting parts locally or importing from the US? If you are getting parts from a Mexican website could you link it? It would be useful for figuring out what would fit your budget.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just as an aside, an SSD is the greatest day-to-day use upgrade you can do to a computer (usually; 2GB RAM is low enough I'd bring it to at least 8gb before going with an SSD).

Even with SATA2, the average seek time for data is absurdly lower.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Node posted:

I read briefly about the Vulkan announcement and saw id's presentation where they uncapped Doom's FPS, and it was ~200 with Vulkan (and a 1080 card). I tried looking at the internet to know more about Vulkan, but I couldn't find anything about how you enable it for supported games. Does it just work if your card supports it, not work if it doesn't? I know that very few games support it currently but I could not find an answer to "how to enable Vulkan" or similar search queries.

Or is Vulkan a gimmick?

If Vulkan is a gimmick, DX12 is a gimmick.

NVIDIA's and AMD's drivers currently ship with Vulkan support. It's just not supported in many (any?) shipping games at this moment in time.

It's not just magically enabled, the game would require a renderer with Vulkan support.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Node posted:

Or is Vulkan a gimmick?

Vulkan is like directx12 but opensource really its basically opengl 2.0. But if you can run directx12 you can probably run vulkan.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Node posted:

Or is Vulkan a gimmick?

Vulkan is what everyone that's not Microsoft will be using. That means consoles, smartphones, tablets, and so forth. It is the fancy name for what is essentially a ground-up rewriting of OpenGL, taking into account the needs of all of these new devices that have appeared since OpenGL itself first came into existence.

You may be conflating Vulkan with AMD's Mantle, and that's understandable. When it became clear that Vulkan was going to become a thing, AMD ended development of Mantle, and handed over the code, wholesale, over to the Khronos Group, saying "This is our work on a low-level API thus far. You are welcome to take any bits out of it that you like." Vulkan was built on top of Mantle's juiciest bits as a result.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 16, 2016

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What does your budget look like? Are you getting parts locally or importing from the US? If you are getting parts from a Mexican website could you link it? It would be useful for figuring out what would fit your budget.
My budget's unfortunately more of a "make a list and then save up for it little by little" kind of deal, but I do make my purchases online on the most part (buying any electronics in Mexico, be it software or hardware, is pretty much guaranteed to be overcharged stuff put up for resale unless it's a digital only deal- and even those tend to be a gamble sometimes :mexico:). I'd already ordered 4 sticks of 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM prior to reading your post at some point from Amazon, for example.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

My budget's unfortunately more of a "make a list and then save up for it little by little" kind of deal, but I do make my purchases online on the most part (buying any electronics in Mexico, be it software or hardware, is pretty much guaranteed to be overcharged stuff put up for resale unless it's a digital only deal- and even those tend to be a gamble sometimes :mexico:). I'd already ordered 4 sticks of 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM prior to reading your post at some point from Amazon, for example.

Ok, in that case the next thing I would recommend saving for is a good PSU, the reason why is because a PSU failure can often damage components connected to the PSU so it's important to have one that you can rely on. Make sure it has at least a five year warranty, even if you would have trouble getting it honored in Mexico the warranty is the manufacturer saying "We don't think this will fail within X# of years." Also EVGA for instance has a global warranty so even in Mexico you are covered for at least three years. EVGA also happens to make very good PSUs in general. After the PSU I would look at getting a new GPU and a 240GB+ SSD, both would be big performance boosts. I would look at a blower style cooler for the GPU because your case has lovely air flow, or maybe a new case altogether if you can swing it, there are lots of pretty cheap ones that are way, way better than your current one.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

HalloKitty posted:

If Vulkan is a gimmick, DX12 is a gimmick.

NVIDIA's and AMD's drivers currently ship with Vulkan support. It's just not supported in many (any?) shipping games at this moment in time.

It's not just magically enabled, the game would require a renderer with Vulkan support.

The Talos Principle supports Vulkan.

Anyone else see that bit about Fast Sync in the 1080 specs leak? Wonder if it will work with existing Gsync monitors (yeah right, this is Nvidia)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugh it's going to be like my bad old teenage days of having to choose between DirectX and OpenGL on launch except instead of having no earthly idea which one I should pick I'm going to have to trawl through dozens of websites claiming one or the other is the superior option for GAME X.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Techpowerup is the most thorough and scientific IMO

Computerbase.de also tends to have pretty good roundups you can look at as well (I'm fond of their taking video of all the coolers with the same setup).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And if you need mobile benchmarks, notebookcheck.net is second-to-none. (Translation can occasionally be squiffly as they are a German-language site first, but they're golden.)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Alchenar posted:

Ugh it's going to be like my bad old teenage days of having to choose between DirectX and OpenGL on launch except instead of having no earthly idea which one I should pick I'm going to have to trawl through dozens of websites claiming one or the other is the superior option for GAME X.

I strongly doubt that's going to be the case, either a game will support vulkan or directx but I doubt there will be many games that do both. Sure, there'll be a few here or there but I doubt think it's gonna be quite as messy as the 3dfx days.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cat doter posted:

I strongly doubt that's going to be the case, either a game will support vulkan or directx but I doubt there will be many games that do both. Sure, there'll be a few here or there but I doubt think it's gonna be quite as messy as the 3dfx days.

Vulkan and DX12 might be a reasonably common combination just because they're very similar, very easy to port between, and both let you do stuff you can't if you're using DX11 for compatibility with older Windows. Upshot is they should perform similarly. We'll probably know what to expect when we see the next few Battlefield games and/or more information from the guys who made Ashes.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, in that case the next thing I would recommend saving for is a good PSU, the reason why is because a PSU failure can often damage components connected to the PSU so it's important to have one that you can rely on. Make sure it has at least a five year warranty, even if you would have trouble getting it honored in Mexico the warranty is the manufacturer saying "We don't think this will fail within X# of years." Also EVGA for instance has a global warranty so even in Mexico you are covered for at least three years. EVGA also happens to make very good PSUs in general. After the PSU I would look at getting a new GPU and a 240GB+ SSD, both would be big performance boosts. I would look at a blower style cooler for the GPU because your case has lovely air flow, or maybe a new case altogether if you can swing it, there are lots of pretty cheap ones that are way, way better than your current one.
Oh, I'm aware of global warranties. The problem with them is they almost always require the customer pay for shipping at some point in their process, and that usually fully offsets the costs of just voiding said warranty and attempting repairs or replacements yourself. :shrug: It wouldn't be a problem if I still had a tourist or student visa and enough spare cash to invest in a dedicated P.O. box in the States, but as it is I have to impose on friends or family so it's kind of a no-no for now.

Anyway, I'll look into EVGA PSUs for now. Having a little trouble figuring out if I'd be able to place any of the ones I'm seeing on their site inside the Sonata III, mostly since the later models seem to almost double their length.

Zero VGS posted:

If you drop 600+ USD on a GPU, I don't think paying the shipping one-way is going to break the bank.
Oh, I was thinking of just the EVGA PSU. I've no idea what NVidia's current warranty policies are like. In any case, it's not about the cost as much as it's about the shipping addresses... and the fact that under most warranties I would've been provided with a shipping label if my address were literally 20 streets north of where I live, in the US. :þ It just feels a teensy bit like a slap to the face.

In any case I'd prefer never really having to use a warranty, so I never really factor it in at all for purchases. Looking at how long the manufacturer's would last does seem to be a fair way to predict when the component will fail all on its own, though.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 16, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Oh, I'm aware of global warranties. The problem with them is they almost always require the customer pay for shipping at some point in their process, and that usually fully offsets the costs of just voiding said warranty and attempting repairs or replacements yourself. :shrug:

I've only ever has to RMA cards for graphical artifacts which is not a thing you can fix yourself except maybe by underclocking. If you drop 600+ USD on a GPU, I don't think paying the shipping one-way is going to break the bank. Plus some places have international RMA things where you can mail to a local branch.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ElTipejoLoco posted:

In my experience, not much. Get the one with the outputs you want at a price you want to pay. The only obvious difference between most variations of the same card is the cooler itself which basically means how noisy its going to be. Actual performance of the chip between the lowest lame-o edition and the most badass eXtreme edition tend to be pretty moot once you overclock.

At one point I had an embarrassing number of gpu's from the same generation spanning from the near "lowest" to the near "highest" versions of the same chip and I found that everything was stable within ~28 mhz. There may be a noticeable difference if you really push the card (with bios modification).

The important part is the chip, and to an extent on lower end cards if you're looking at those is vram. The difference between cards can be so tiny that its almost always worth buying whatever is on sale.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Vulkan and DX12 might be a reasonably common combination just because they're very similar, very easy to port between, and both let you do stuff you can't if you're using DX11 for compatibility with older Windows. Upshot is they should perform similarly. We'll probably know what to expect when we see the next few Battlefield games and/or more information from the guys who made Ashes.
Vulkan is compatible with older versions of windows, and I've yet to hear a feature of DX12 it doesn't support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Buy whatever goes with your casemods.