Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Warlord have been selling the AWI range for a while now.

Yeah, some of the WGF kits are available, some not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, some of the WGF kits are available, some not.

Some of them are pretty terrible though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Most of what is available is the newer stuff, but the AWI range is out and in stores, as are some of the ancient historicals. The Zombies, bikers, survivors and modern special ops kits are the basis of the new Warlord zombies game.

But I can see why they would want to redo a bunch of stuff, because some of it was pretty bad.

I'm hoping the skeleton warriors are back out soon.

The split is fairly obviously between the higher quality kits after Tony Reidy was got rid of for being both an idiot and someone who consistently took orders with a very lax view to fulfilling them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes, I'm sad that the samurai range was made before or during the increase in quality, since they're the only plastics in 28mm. I hope Warlord will redo them in a nicer style.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

Wargames Factory started exclusively distributing through their competitor Warlord Games last year.

Warlord still isn't selling their stuff. It's incredibly frustrating, especially since their AWI figures are gorgeous and SP2 just happened.

Possibly a conspiracy to eliminate 28mm female plastic soviets? :tinfoil:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I stand corrected, hadn't realized the AWI guys were still available and now I'm about to get poor.

e: Wait it looks like you can only order a handful of WGF's oldest sprues.

e2 DOop they just reboxed most of it.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 14, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

I stand corrected, hadn't realized the AWI guys were still available and now I'm about to get poor.

e: Wait it looks like you can only order a handful of WGF's oldest sprues.

e2 DOop they just reboxed most of it.

Ha, I was just squinting at google images trying to figure out if they reboxed them or if I was going insane.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
They did. I've recently bought a couple of boxes. They are very nice.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Ha, I was just squinting at google images trying to figure out if they reboxed them or if I was going insane.

Reboxed the lot of them and brought out the Hessians. Literally I have two boxes next to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man that boxed set looks fantastic, but I feel like 300+ figures and all that terrain might be a little excessive for my needs.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man I bought the across a deadly field rules on amazon for 10 bux and holy cow it's old school with tables and stuff. I know the author (rip) also wrote Johnny Reb etc for grogs but dang

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Very nice AAR. Was the map anywhere in particular or just some tactically interesting European countryside?

We're still in the "figuring out how the heck BP works" stage, so we basically just throw terrain on the board in a vaguely plausible arrangement, line up and start rolling dice - setting up actual historical scenarios is an exercise for the future.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thundercloud posted:

Most of what is available is the newer stuff, but the AWI range is out and in stores, as are some of the ancient historicals. The Zombies, bikers, survivors and modern special ops kits are the basis of the new Warlord zombies game.

Nice, I'll have to look up the male/female survivors now that they're available again. That looked to be a great sprue for pretty much all sort of modern/ultramodern/postapoc stuff. I was worried they wouldn't be released again after the acquisition.

E: wow the price shot up on these though.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 16, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm putting together a Black Powder alt-history scenario fro the Trent Affair escalating to open war between Britain and the Union during the American Civil War, and would appreciate any feedback since I'm still new to Black Powder.

The British forces stationed in Nova Scotia are launching a sudden attack on Maine, particularly the harbor of Portland. While the attackers are too few to really hold the city for long, the hope is to establish a foothold for the British reinforcements which are en route to escalate the war. If the Union can drive them off, Britain may reconsider war. If not, they face a strong second front in the North, and a certain end to the blockade of the South. (This isn't really aiming for historical realism so much as a fun what if)

I have three objectives for the British to take: Portland, Fort Preble and Knightville Village just outside Portland. If Britain holds one of these, it is a draw. Two and it's a minor victory. Three and a major victory. At the end of turn 7, the game ends on a 4+, rolling each turn after. The scenario is loosely based on the Hangman's Creek scenario in the BP book. Union forces start spread out between Portland, Fort Preble and the road to the southwest, with a single unit of militia in Knightville. British forces approach from the south and east, up the roads towards Knightville and Fort Preble. Does this look reasonably balanced and fun? Any suggestions for historical British commanders?

Union Forces
CiC: Lt. Gen. Thomas Casey - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Major George Andrews - Staff 8 (Fort Preble)
17th Foot - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with First Fire and Crack
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Fort Preble Trainees - 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with First Fire

2nd Brigade: Captain Jacob McLellan - Staff 8 (Portland)
Marines - 3 units of Rifled Muskets with Tough Fighters, representing ship crews and marines disembarking to defend the town
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Knightville Militia- 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with Untested, Freshly Raised and Marauders representing armed citizenry of Knightville

3rd Brigade: Vice President Hannibal Hamlin - Staff 8 (Reinforcements from the southwest. Hamlin wasn't in charge of his unit, but he was stationed in a nearby fort as part of the militia, so I'm using him because it's cool)
Maine Militia - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Marauders
Maine Mounted Militia - 1 unit of light cavalry with Skirmishers and Marauders

British Forces (I couldn't find as much historical information on these, so it's basically just eyeballed for fun)
CiC: Lt. Gen. Fenwick Williams - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Staff 9 Cavalry Brigade
3 Cavalry Units - Heavy Cavalry with Ferocious Charge
2 Horse Artillery - Light Smoothbore Cannon with Marauders

2nd Brigade: Staff 9 British Regulars
2 Highlanders - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady, Tough Fighters
2 Grenadiers - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady
1 Foot Artillery - Smoothbore Cannon

3rd Brigade: Staff 9 Canadian Militia and Garrison Forces
4 Militia - Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Sharpshooters
1 Light Cavalry - Light Cavalry with no ranged weapons, but Skirmishers and Marauders

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Nice, I'll have to look up the male/female survivors now that they're available again. That looked to be a great sprue for pretty much all sort of modern/ultramodern/postapoc stuff. I was worried they wouldn't be released again after the acquisition.

E: wow the price shot up on these though.

I was kinda expecting that :sigh:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

I'm putting together a Black Powder alt-history scenario fro the Trent Affair escalating to open war between Britain and the Union during the American Civil War, and would appreciate any feedback since I'm still new to Black Powder.

The British forces stationed in Nova Scotia are launching a sudden attack on Maine, particularly the harbor of Portland. While the attackers are too few to really hold the city for long, the hope is to establish a foothold for the British reinforcements which are en route to escalate the war. If the Union can drive them off, Britain may reconsider war. If not, they face a strong second front in the North, and a certain end to the blockade of the South. (This isn't really aiming for historical realism so much as a fun what if)

I have three objectives for the British to take: Portland, Fort Preble and Knightville Village just outside Portland. If Britain holds one of these, it is a draw. Two and it's a minor victory. Three and a major victory. At the end of turn 7, the game ends on a 4+, rolling each turn after. The scenario is loosely based on the Hangman's Creek scenario in the BP book. Union forces start spread out between Portland, Fort Preble and the road to the southwest, with a single unit of militia in Knightville. British forces approach from the south and east, up the roads towards Knightville and Fort Preble. Does this look reasonably balanced and fun? Any suggestions for historical British commanders?

Union Forces
CiC: Lt. Gen. Thomas Casey - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Major George Andrews - Staff 8 (Fort Preble)
17th Foot - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with First Fire and Crack
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Fort Preble Trainees - 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with First Fire

2nd Brigade: Captain Jacob McLellan - Staff 8 (Portland)
Marines - 3 units of Rifled Muskets with Tough Fighters, representing ship crews and marines disembarking to defend the town
2 Smoothbore Cannons
Knightville Militia- 1 unit of Rifled Muskets with Untested, Freshly Raised and Marauders representing armed citizenry of Knightville

3rd Brigade: Vice President Hannibal Hamlin - Staff 8 (Reinforcements from the southwest. Hamlin wasn't in charge of his unit, but he was stationed in a nearby fort as part of the militia, so I'm using him because it's cool)
Maine Militia - 2 units of Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Marauders
Maine Mounted Militia - 1 unit of light cavalry with Skirmishers and Marauders

British Forces (I couldn't find as much historical information on these, so it's basically just eyeballed for fun)
CiC: Lt. Gen. Fenwick Williams - Staff 9
1st Brigade: Staff 9 Cavalry Brigade
3 Cavalry Units - Heavy Cavalry with Ferocious Charge
2 Horse Artillery - Light Smoothbore Cannon with Marauders

2nd Brigade: Staff 9 British Regulars
2 Highlanders - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady, Tough Fighters
2 Grenadiers - Rifled Muskets with First Fire, Steady
1 Foot Artillery - Smoothbore Cannon

3rd Brigade: Staff 9 Canadian Militia and Garrison Forces
4 Militia - Rifled Muskets with Skirmishers and Sharpshooters
1 Light Cavalry - Light Cavalry with no ranged weapons, but Skirmishers and Marauders

First fire wasn't really a thing by 1861 because rifles have a much longer range than muskets so the whole "hold fire til you see the whites of their eyes" philosophy wasn't as applicable. If you like the effect the rule has by all means go for it, but the behavior that it encourages isn't really found in the era.

Beyond that, the staff rating deficit on the American side will likely make anything more complex than just forming lines and holding position very difficult. Is there any reason the US would have much more mediocre mid-level leadership than the UK? I get that it's 1861 and the federal war machine hasn't really come fully online yet but I'd have to think American commanders in this engagement would be more likely to have meaningful battlefield experience than the Brits, who hadn't really fought anything since Crimea.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

First fire wasn't really a thing by 1861 because rifles have a much longer range than muskets so the whole "hold fire til you see the whites of their eyes" philosophy wasn't as applicable. If you like the effect the rule has by all means go for it, but the behavior that it encourages isn't really found in the era.

Beyond that, the staff rating deficit on the American side will likely make anything more complex than just forming lines and holding position very difficult. Is there any reason the US would have much more mediocre mid-level leadership than the UK? I get that it's 1861 and the federal war machine hasn't really come fully online yet but I'd have to think American commanders in this engagement would be more likely to have meaningful battlefield experience than the Brits, who hadn't really fought anything since Crimea.

I wanted it as a way to differentiate militia from regulars, as a small but nice bonus to the latter. Would you suggest some other way of doing it?
As for the staff ratings, I figured that the Americans stationed in Maine wouldn't be the most experienced units or commanders. Is Staff Rating 8 a huge drawback?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea for the lower Union command values is that all of the Union's commanders with any ability or talent are busy fighting the Confederacy rather than chilling out in Maine.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

I wanted it as a way to differentiate militia from regulars, as a small but nice bonus to the latter. Would you suggest some other way of doing it?
As for the staff ratings, I figured that the Americans stationed in Maine wouldn't be the most experienced units or commanders. Is Staff Rating 8 a huge drawback?

Staff rating 8 is rough. Your troops won't be doing anything about a third to half of the time. I would get rid of first fire on everything, then make your regular commanders staff 9 and your militia commander staff 8 (and the US army commander staff 9). That way your regulars on each side will generally do what they're supposed to when they're close to a commander and far from an enemy, but that will break down if they get separated or stuck in. Meanwhile the militia will gently caress around and do whatever they feel like and you'll yell at them.

You also have a couple of brigades with an awful lot of units- there's a US brigade with 6 and I think all the UK brigades have 5. That's not necessarily a bad thing but you'll certainly end up with some feel bads when the brigade commander fails his first order and a third of the British army is now entirely reliant on the army commander. Just something to be aware of.

e:

Ilor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea for the lower Union command values is that all of the Union's commanders with any ability or talent are busy fighting the Confederacy rather than chilling out in Maine.

It depends how much of a threat the UK is perceived as but I'd imagine Army of the Potomac regulars and officers would take the train up to the border as soon as they had intelligence that the Brits were getting ready to cross. It's not much travel and considering armies were redeployed between the western and eastern theaters I don't think Lincoln would let his back get protected by the JV team.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 16, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Thanks, this helps a lot. I've played one demo game of Black Powder so far, so this is half an exercise to learn the rules and half scenario building. I'll bump the Marines and Regulars up to Staff 9 (keeping Hamlin at 8) and move the Knightville Militia from the Marines brigade into the Militia brigade. I'll drop First Fire from everything, as well. Would you suggest dropping a unit from each brigade to keep sizes down?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks, this helps a lot. I've played one demo game of Black Powder so far, so this is half an exercise to learn the rules and half scenario building. I'll bump the Marines and Regulars up to Staff 9 (keeping Hamlin at 8) and move the Knightville Militia from the Marines brigade into the Militia brigade. I'll drop First Fire from everything, as well. Would you suggest dropping a unit from each brigade to keep sizes down?

Maybe trim that brigade of 6, but 5 should be managable-- just be aware your British units are kind of high variance since an early failed order blocks all the regiments that haven't received an order yet. In Black Powder a commander can reasonably handle 3-5 regiments, so you're just on the upper bound, not really over it yet. I'd go ahead and fight your battle, see what you liked and didn't like, and make sure to post lots of pictures in this thread!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Maybe trim that brigade of 6, but 5 should be managable-- just be aware your British units are kind of high variance since an early failed order blocks all the regiments that haven't received an order yet. In Black Powder a commander can reasonably handle 3-5 regiments, so you're just on the upper bound, not really over it yet. I'd go ahead and fight your battle, see what you liked and didn't like, and make sure to post lots of pictures in this thread!

I have an out of state friend who I play a bunch of different wargames with over maptools, so I won't have pretty models to show off. I'll take screenshots and show off how we managed though, and try to put together a battle report. We're set to fight either tomorrow or next monday, depending on if anything comes up. Thanks again for all of your help!

EDIT: I grabbed a few in-progress screenshots. British forces aren't placed yet. I may have made it too large, I'm considering scaling everything down or scaling units up.
Overview of the map

Portland. The Marines and their cannon are entrenched here, but will likely need to sally forth to defend the village

Knightville Village, and the expected center of early battle. A single unit of militia guard it

Fort Preble. Defended by the well trained 17th Foot, ready to charge forth to meet the enemy

The Maine Militia arrive from Fort McClary, along with the Vice President

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 16, 2016

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Polikarpov posted:

I've been researching TO&Es and camoflauge patterns for hours. Incidentally, does anyone know the correct shade of green for an M3 Halftrack in September 1942? PLEASE SEND HELP

Yeah sure, Olive Drab. Now, what that actually means, who knows. Most sources I've seen these days seem to think it is closer to what UPS trucks are painted than a 'green' shade. For reference I use Tamiya XF-62 but there isn't really a 'wrong' shade between green and brown.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The battle was moved up to tonight, so here's the Battle Report. Bunch of pictures incoming!

The British forces at Nova Scotia attacked with little warning. While reinforcements were on their way, the small Maine-based defenders would have to hold out as long as possible. Word arrived, that the British were arriving from the south and east. Fortunately, the nearby militia at Fort McLary had just arrived as well. Fighting would be fierce, especially in the small village of Knightville just south of Portland.

Sure enough, it wasn't long before the Highlanders had charged the village. The untested defenders quickly folded after only a few exchanges of blows, leaving the British in control of the village. An attempt by the Union Light Cavalry to reinforce the town was intercepted by the British Cavalry and quickly crushed.

British scouts, Canadian Militia, began to move on the fort, but were bombarded by musket and cannon fire. While they would hold, the skirmishers would inflict little damage under such conditions.

Disaster strikes! A unit of British Heavy Cavalry has caught the unprepared militia while they were marching, and both units were destroyed outright! The Union had been counting on those forces to contest Knightville a little longer.

Alas, without aid Knightville would fall. It would not be retaken for the rest of the battle.

The British Regulars, lead by the ferocious Highlanders, charged down the road towards Fort Preble. The 17th Foot was ready to meet them, but would be driven back time and again before being eventually broken.

The bridge to Portland fares better. Two battalions of cavalry charged the marines defending the bridge, and both were driven back - one even being shattered outright!

The Marines attempt to push into Knightville, but meet stiff resistance from the grenadiers and militia. Meanwhile, the Highlanders continued their assault on the 17th foot. Despite inflicting heavy losses on their foe, the 17th would fall here, leaving only the trainees and artillery crews to protect the fort.

British Heavy Cavalry soon learned that charging the Union's guns head on was a foolish notion.

The siege of Fort Preble begins in earnest. Canadian Militia and British Grenadiers formed the vanguard, supported by Militia from afar.

The last surviving Marine unit south of Portland faces down British Cavalry, emerging victorious once again! Despite suffering heavy losses, they would distinguish themselves more than any other unit in this battle.

After losing the militia, the grenadiers have no choice but to charge a weak section of the walls, overrunning the cannon mounted there and securing a section of the fort.

At the end of the battle, Knightville has fallen to the British, but Portland stands. Fort Preble is contested, but still in Union hands. Historians will consider this battle a draw, and argue its merits for decades.

A full list of the units that the Second Marine Battalion broke in battle. Grenadiers, two Light Cavalry and two Heavy Cavalry, proving themselves heroes without peer!

Overall, it was really fun. We kept forgetting rules, but that didn't seem to favor one side or the other that much. A lucky 3-move charge by the British wrecked almost an entire Union brigade, but the other two would pick up the slack and force a turn 7 draw.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I received my copy of Blood Eagle in the mail today :toot:

My friend is painting some Vikings and I've already started on some Anglo-Saxons who will inevitably have all their poo poo stolen.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kaza42 posted:

The battle was moved up to tonight, so here's the Battle Report. Bunch of pictures incoming!

Looking at this, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a game of Sharp Practice 2 or the like run over the forums or Roll20. I could knock up a map and some tokens, and run it - either as a player or a GM.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Like you ever got a negative answer on the LP forum

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So, we play a lot of Chain of Command at my club. And one of my clubmates was frustrated that there are no skirmish systems for 16th Century warfare that he likes. Add these together, and suddenly I found myself playtesting a modified version of CoC for Renaissance battles.

The close combat rules, as well as a lot of the movement rules, are heavily modified, while the basics of the activation, shock and shooting rules are less heavily modified. This was the very first playtest of the basics, so more of a proof of concept than anything else, but it worked surprisingly well after making a few modifications on the spot.

So I guess I have to paint up a bunch of landsknechts now.

Excuse the rough trial miniatures and the highly anachronistic cabinet, that (together with some beehives) acted as markers for handguns that need to reload.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 17, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Overall, it was really fun. We kept forgetting rules, but that didn't seem to favor one side or the other that much. A lucky 3-move charge by the British wrecked almost an entire Union brigade, but the other two would pick up the slack and force a turn 7 draw.

I've had a BP battle go nearly the same way, except in my case the lucky 3-move charge totally kept me from getting the bulk of my infantry where they needed to be. Did you feel like command and control worked out ok?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've had a BP battle go nearly the same way, except in my case the lucky 3-move charge totally kept me from getting the bulk of my infantry where they needed to be. Did you feel like command and control worked out ok?

It was something like turn 4 before anybody actually failed a command roll, but throughout the game lucky or unlucky rolls dictated the flow of battle in surprising ways. For instance, the British Heavy Cavalry caught the Union Militia in the open, because I rolled a one-move order to bring them on in march column after ordering them to advance then switch formations. Had they gotten a second move, they would have been able to fire and fight more effectively and would have at least inflicted some damage back. Then later on, the British cavalry had to attack the marines in a staggered manner since he kept rolling move orders such that only one could reach them at a time. If he had gotten a bit luckier and gotten two units into assault in a single turn, the Marines wouldn't have had such an inflated kill count. I'm usually very much not a fan of random movement, but this is the best implementation I've seen. Definitely going to keep playing, maybe continuing the Trent scenario.

An interesting thing about command though, is that we almost never had to use the CiC. The few times we failed an order, the CiC was too far away to make a reasonable difference to the rest of the brigade. I didn't issue a single CiC order the entire game, and the British player basically used his to manage a small artillery battery separated from the rest of the army (which never actually did anything, especially after a two-move retreat blunder pushed it to the very bottom of the map)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

An interesting thing about command though, is that we almost never had to use the CiC. The few times we failed an order, the CiC was too far away to make a reasonable difference to the rest of the brigade. I didn't issue a single CiC order the entire game, and the British player basically used his to manage a small artillery battery separated from the rest of the army (which never actually did anything, especially after a two-move retreat blunder pushed it to the very bottom of the map)

That is interesting, but it also sounds like you may have gotten a little lucky with issuing orders. I tend to see the CiC get used as a supplemental source of Rally orders to whichever brigade is drawing the most fire, which is a big deal when they're close to the enemy and/or disordered (with our house rules disordered units can still receive orders, the disorder effect just eats the first move on a success). Sounds like a good battle in general though!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I finally got around to finishing the first 16th century Japanese ship, and made a mold of it:

I want to make around 3-4 ship types/sizes, and then see if I can get some naval combat action out of it. First ship worked out pretty nice, except that all those holes got boubbles that I had to drill out with a pin vice.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Tried flogging this before but the person interested ghosted on me.

Warhammer Trafalgar in mint condition, £35 posted in the UK. Anyone interested?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Played my second game of Bolt Action last night. Played a kill points game against 'That Guy'.

I was Paras

1st Lieutenant + man with SMGs
Artillery observer with SMG
Regular Sniper team
Regular MMG
Regular Flamethrower
6 man vet squad - 4 SMGs
6 man vet squad - 4 SMGs
5 man vet squad - just rifles.

Took the Brit rule that stops them shooting at you when you charge them.

He was a hodge podge of German stuff that seemed to be trying to be OP, but seriously lacked synergy.

Lieutenant + man with assault rifles
Regular sniper team
Inexperienced heavy mortar
Regular MMG
6 man vet Waffen SS cavalry squad
7 man reg heer squad with 2 assault rifles
7 man reg heer squad with 2 assault rifles

In the first two turns it looked like I was toast. The cavalry mowed down the rifle squad and my MMG got pinned and then went down. I placed my barrage in a wood that the Germans had put a sniper and heer squad in, the mmg to one side and the mortar behind.

Then turn three I assaulted one of his Heer squads with a squad of my paras, wiped them completely, and brought up the other SMG squad and the officer behind them and stuck them all in cover. Then I rolled up everything except the cavalry over two turns. The barrage didn't come in until a turn later, but it wiped out his Heer squad and put pins on the mortar, which hit nothing all game.

The cavalry recced away from my flamethrower when he tried to fry them (then rolled a 1 on his ammo and got removed) but that put them where I could start pinning them with my sniper and shooting them with my artillery observer and lone rifle dude who was part of the flamethrower team. They got one successful order off, killed the observer, but then they got pinned to crap after recceing away again. They finished the game with one model left, the NCO dead, and 7 pins.

So went significantly better than my first game, where I took an inexperienced Last Levy style german force and apart from wiping out a unit of Rangers in assault by a unit of Volksturm, nothing really happened and everything bounced.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Where do people get their female soviet 28mm models these days?

Edit: I also see a lot of people including a mans with their LT and commissars. What's the reason for this?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2016

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Edit: I also see a lot of people including a mans with their LT and commissars. What's the reason for this?

In Bolt Action it is because it is still a small element, getting -1 to hit it, but it is an extra body, normally with a free SMG (or in the case of the Germans, assault rifle). This means you have a small element rolling 4 dice for shooting and 4 for combat, which is enough to put pins on units or to mug enemy weapon teams or depleted enemy squads.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

DJ Dizzy posted:

Bad Squiddo games makes some cool female soviets.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

muggins posted:

Bad Squiddo games makes some cool female soviets.

Sweet, thanks! Snipers are just what I was looking for.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm picking up some Squiddo Soviets but for the rest of my BA stuff. Who generally does the best quality 28mm quality for infantry and then vehicles? Surprised there isn't more out there for 28mm. I noticed Plastic Soldier Company are hella cheap, but I don't know the market enough to know the quality of the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

PSC can get you an entire soviet army for like £35. They're very old-timey figures; they have the kind of look you'd expect of upscaled 1/72 figures (which they probably are), which can look kinda soft. I'd recommend Wargames Factory's soviets, but they got bought out by Warlord. PSC probably aren't horrific, and it's hard to argue with a full set of infantry plus HMGs, antitank rifles, infantry guns, etc for £35.