Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

isndl posted:

I've pretty much only ever flown EVA to Taipei but their quality of service has always been good in my experience, especially if you're flying deluxe economy instead of bare-bones economy. They also have more direct flights with no layovers.

EVA Air was great on the HK to TPE, but that is a pond jump. I was going to fly them this summer into JFK, but United was 400 bucks less when I moved on the tickets. Next time I guess. I've done the TPE-NRT-EWR flight half a dozen times and never had a problem. I even threw up during turbulence (luckily able to get into a bathroom) and they were very sweet to me. So I could just hang on the back standing up for a while.

China Airlines should be permanently grounded.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

I flew Delta between the US and China last months and it was p fine? Most of the US airlines have improved their planes a lot in the last few years.

It's the seats. The movies and shows are great and the food and beer are fine too. But those seats man. I'm not even tall. And there's just nowhere to rest my head. On a long haul right it's pure agony.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ntan1 posted:

Which is better for a transpacific? China Airlines premium economy or EVA premium economy?

Comedy Option: United

I'm ok with EVA, tend to avoid china airlines after hearing enough scary stories from a friend whose dad worked there

Also any international flight is way better than domestic

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's the seats. The movies and shows are great and the food and beer are fine too. But those seats man. I'm not even tall. And there's just nowhere to rest my head. On a long haul right it's pure agony.

Last time I flew Delta internationally they only let me have one checked luggage for free, and rather minimal efforts at meals (both of which I'm sure they graciously provided only because they're required to by law for international flights). EVA is two free checked luggage pieces and the meals are pretty substantial if you're not too picky on appearance/selection.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's always business class!

But if it's economy then go for Cathay pacific

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

There's always business class!

But if it's economy then go for Cathay pacific

Yeah I'm all about Cathay pacific here though they changed up their frequent flyer program recently :argh:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

isndl posted:

Last time I flew Delta internationally they only let me have one checked luggage for free, and rather minimal efforts at meals (both of which I'm sure they graciously provided only because they're required to by law for international flights). EVA is two free checked luggage pieces and the meals are pretty substantial if you're not too picky on appearance/selection.

According to the disclaimer they sent me, I should be able to do two checked luggage for free. Though two things have me worried: 1 is that I am going home rather light and was thinking of just putting all of my luggage into one bag, but when I come back I will check two bags; not sure if they'll try to pull some poo poo about having more bags than when I started.

2; I booked a multi-leg trip, which all in total counts as an international flight; but one leg is domestic US only and I'm concerned I'll get into an argument with the counter check-in about which rules apply to my flight.

Magna Kaser posted:

I flew Delta between the US and China last months and it was p fine? Most of the US airlines have improved their planes a lot in the last few years.

I keep up with the going-ons of the industry best I can, and I know that Delta has the most recently updated interiors. Legacy birds, but new stuff inside. Though I heard they purchased some options for actual new RJs from Canadian Air, I believe. I forget off the top of my head which aircraft, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

According to the disclaimer they sent me, I should be able to do two checked luggage for free. Though two things have me worried: 1 is that I am going home rather light and was thinking of just putting all of my luggage into one bag, but when I come back I will check two bags; not sure if they'll try to pull some poo poo about having more bags than when I started.

2; I booked a multi-leg trip, which all in total counts as an international flight; but one leg is domestic US only and I'm concerned I'll get into an argument with the counter check-in about which rules apply to my flight.

I keep up with the going-ons of the industry best I can, and I know that Delta has the most recently updated interiors. Legacy birds, but new stuff inside. Though I heard they purchased some options for actual new RJs from Canadian Air, I believe. I forget off the top of my head which aircraft, though.

From my experience:

1) that's silly and nothing to worry about. You could have bought an extra suitcase in the country who gives a poo poo this is totally normal and all they care about is if you're within the limit and not are you carrying the exact same poo poo you came in with

2) if the domestic flight is part of an international itinerary, you get the benefit of the international luggage limits. That said, keep in mind that domestic overheads may be smaller than international ones, but they usually let you gate check your carryon and usually want people to do that whenever possible

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

From my experience:

1) that's silly and nothing to worry about. You could have bought an extra suitcase in the country who gives a poo poo this is totally normal and all they care about is if you're within the limit and not are you carrying the exact same poo poo you came in with

Okay, that's cool.

quote:

2) if the domestic flight is part of an international itinerary, you get the benefit of the international luggage limits. That said, keep in mind that domestic overheads may be smaller than international ones, but they usually let you gate check your carryon and usually want people to do that whenever possible

Yeah, I know about the gate check thing. Became "a Thing" when some of the routes I use to fly had the Mad Dogs replaced with RJs. That's not an issue for me.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Id do CX but they have no directs between SFO and TPE.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I found what it was. Delta has apparently ordered 75 new Bombardier CSeries jets, with options for 50 more. Apparently the scuttlebutt is they took over 40 of those orders from Republic, and that Delta might take the full options if Bombardier can deliver the CS500. Possibly to replace and/or augment the 757 fleet, who knows. Canada is happy.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

quote:

Asked if he is concerned he would become a target of political vengeance after his term expires on Friday next week, Ma said: “It has already begun,” but added that he has faith in his own innocence and the fairness and impartiality of the nation’s courts.
“I will only be leaving the Presidential Office, not Taiwan,” Ma said, adding that he would continue to pay attention to issues of interest after he leaves office and that he does not rule out writing a memoir.
Ma is facing accusations of power abuse and corruption by a number of civic organizations, which last month urged the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office to launch investigations into Ma’s alleged wrongdoings and to bar him from leaving the country.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2016/05/13/2003646139

I don't know what Ma is worried about, it's not like a president has ever used their power to prosecute the previous office holder or anything.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Colleague friend from work got a new drone past couple of weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUrNgwnLS5Y

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAQC_WmEQf-T462blIvtz4g

enjoy :)

url fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 13, 2016

kenner116
May 15, 2009

url posted:

Colleague friend from work got a new drone past couple of weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUrNgwnLS5Y

enjoy :)

Needs more Muzha.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
One week until Tsai takes over and our embassies all flee like the rats they are.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

One week until Tsai takes over and our embassies all flee like the rats they are.

ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TSAI AND VICE PRESIDENT CAT

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So what was the motivating factor behind how rapid that kid's execution was?

I'm still baffled by the Taiwanese love affair with strapping a person down and unloading a clip into them.

But it's OK because they applied general anesthesia first.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

A frothing public and a departing president, I imagine.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm still baffled by the Taiwanese love affair with strapping a person down and unloading a clip into them.

But it's OK because they applied general anesthesia first.

Talking to one of the Taiwanese teachers, it seems Ma sped up the process because he wanted something good to be remembered for. Also, didn't realize they did firing squads here. Also, why the anesthesia? If you're going to shoot him that much it seems a bit silly. Pain from gunshot wounds usually isn't immediate, because of the shock they cause. And gently caress, now I'm wandering down a dark path, I think I'll stop here before I make myself out to be some kind of bloodthirsty creep.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

TetsuoTW posted:

A frothing public and a departing president, I imagine.

This is exactly it. Part of it's to appease the masses who want to see someone put to death after that decapitation a few weeks ago, and feel that Taiwan's gone "soft" on executions or whatever. And then, yeah, getting it done while Ma is still in power. Didn't the judge who signed off on the execution even comment that she was doing a favor for Tsai's administration since it would be one less contentious thing to deal with or something like that?

YF19pilot, they gave him anesthesia at his request.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Talking to one of the Taiwanese teachers, it seems Ma sped up the process because he wanted something good to be remembered for.

wow

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

YF19pilot, they gave him anesthesia at his request.

Ah, okay. I just thought it was strange. But, there are people who study this stuff in heavy detail, and I thought maybe I was missing something in regards to the kind of pain and suffering that occurs at death. Executions are brutal, inhumane acts, but it's kinda like slaughtering an animal; you want to minimize the suffering and grotesqueness of the act.

This is how it was worded by my coworker, with the implication that this is what Ma thinks is "doing something good." Like, generations from now, people will look back on his administration and say "he may have been a boot-scratching China lover, but at least he executed that one guy." Maybe with the current fervor you guys are mentioning, he thinks this will appease people a little bit and maybe generate some goodwill towards the KMT next election cycle. Or at least reduce the amount of "fan mail" Ma gets for the rest of his life.

I hope I'm using that boot-scratching term correctly. It's one of my more recent favorites.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nice Sunday afternoon, going to watch some old TV shows. Awesome opening song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzb7ISclt0

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

kenner116 posted:

Needs more Muzha.

He was telling me that he doesn't enjoy the Muzha park so much since there are a regular crew there that do the vr headset racing (smaller drones), and that one of them crashed into his drone once.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

quote:

Outgoing Minister of Justice Luo Ying-shay (羅瑩雪) defended her decision to “prioritize” Cheng’s “swift” execution as a special response to the public’s feeling, adding that the ministry did not give Cheng’s attorney any prior notice of the execution in a bid to prevent “efforts to seek extraordinary relief that would make all executions impossible.”

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
:stare:

Hot drat. That's eight kinds of hosed up. I googled up something that had the conviction rate at over 90% 25 years ago, still looking for something more recent though.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Taipei Times posted:

The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the death sentence for Cheng Chieh (鄭捷), who was convicted of stabbing four people to death and injuring 22 in a May 21, 2014, attack in the Taipei MRT rail system.
The verdict is final and cannot be appealed.

The court’s ruling said it upheld the death penalty because there was clear evidence that the defendant had committed an act defined as one of the most severe crimes by the UN’s International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

The New Taipei City District Court on March 6 last year convicted Cheng of four counts of murder and 22 counts of attempted manslaughter, handing down the death sentence for each murder charge and prison sentences ranging from five to eight years for a total of 144 years on the manslaughter charges.

It also ordered him to pay NT$30.91 million (US$956,078) in compensation to his victims, as well as NT$8.55 million to the families of the four dead.
The Taiwan High Court in October last year upheld the convictions, but ordered Cheng to pay NT$61.39 million in compensation to his victims and the relatives of those slain.
Cheng’s defense appealed that verdict to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court said the four death sentences were “commensurate with the crimes committed,” adding that the rulings handed down by the courts must be based on the laws of the nation, which still include capital punishment.

The justices also said that Cheng was of sound mind and in control of his actions at the time of the attack, and there was no indication of a psychiatric disorder or loss of mental faculties.
They said that even if an appraisal by experts indicated the defendant had a minor psychological disturbance, it still would not affect their decision.

Liang Chia-ying (梁家贏), one of Cheng’s defense lawyers, said the verdict was regrettable.

The courts did not fully investigate Cheng’s motives, nor did they attempt to determine if his mental state was affected by illness,” Liang said.
Cheng is currently the 43rd death row inmate.

Minister of Justice Luo Ying-shay (羅瑩雪) denied a media report that top judiciary officials had met in the afternoon to determine when to execute Cheng.
“We have not received the official documents of the judgment, and we did not discuss this issue. We do not have a schedule for the execution,” she said.
The father of Chang Cheng-han (張正翰), one of the four slain, said that he hopes the execution can be carried out soon.

“The ruling provides justice for society. The murderer must pay with his life for his crimes,” he said. “We still see random killings in our society. The sooner Cheng Chieh is executed, the sooner it will serve as a warning to people and prevent such killings from happening again.”

Chiu Mu-sen (邱木森), husband of Pan Pi-chu (潘碧珠), another slain victim, said he thought justice had been served.
Chiu, who had been married to Pan for more than 40 years, said “a fair verdict had been handed down for her murder.”

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If all it takes is the public literally calling for your head to get you executed due process be damned, I can see why Ma Ying-Jeou might be concerned about his upcoming retirement.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
After learning the guy last year who killed the little girl (not the neihu guy this year) did so because he thought going to jail would be preferable to his circumstances at the time, I have done a 180 and am happy to see people like him and the MRT bro here culled from the herd. My tax dollars going to feed and clothe him (one of the things Mr. Kindergarten Killer was after)? No thanks!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

After learning the guy last year who killed the little girl (not the neihu guy this year) did so because he thought going to jail would be preferable to his circumstances at the time, I have done a 180 and am happy to see people like him and the MRT bro here culled from the herd. My tax dollars going to feed and clothe him (one of the things Mr. Kindergarten Killer was after)? No thanks!

That sounds like a well-reasoned argument, and not a silly emotional kneejerk reaction at all.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hey this debate is just as pants on head retarded in Taiwan as it is in America, whoda thunk it

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

This reveals a great deal about you as a person, and frankly very little of it is surprising.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
We're only one and a bit years shy of the UDHR's 70th anniversary, which I personally think is one of humanity's finest and most commendable achievements.

I struggle with assertions contrary to the right to life.

The parts I bolded above are what I find as shameless pandering and willful dissonance. (I.e. The crime is so far beyond the pale that it is clearly abhorrent to any motion of sensibility. Moreover, we have ample evidence it was him. And yet "we find he is clearly compos mentis, amd we would sentence this way even if he were not" is a staggering feat of cognitive gymnastics.)

Its :psypop: in every regard.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Basically how tax dollars are being spent is the least important factor when considering if the state should have the authority to execute life.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

To execute the life of a bro who attacked, knifed, and subsequently killed some folks on one of the longest legs of any MRT line? Yeah, he knew what he was doing. This is not some death row case built on circumstantial evidence where the accused may very well be innocent. He was caught red-handed. No qualms with extinguishing the life of someone like that.

Oh, he is remorseful of his actions after the fact? He can get bent and eat lead.

PS please stop applying your home country's standards to Taiwan. This isn't Canada, USA, England, or wherever you are from. It's super demeaning and racist for you to insist on your "correct" ideas over and against Taiwanese ideas. It's their country, after all, you cultural/ideological imperialist pigs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
God, I wish me thinking "he can get bent" was how the US government decided who to kill.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Not a lot of people murdering others on subways and then being apprehended on the spot with CCTV and shittons of witnesses to boot. A bit different than being placed on death row cuz of some DNA or even less substantial evidence. Or, god forbid, a making a murderer scenario. It's a good thing that dude and mrt murderer literally have nothing in common.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pandemonium posted:

To execute the life of a bro who attacked, knifed, and subsequently killed some folks on one of the longest legs of any MRT line? Yeah, he knew what he was doing. This is not some death row case built on circumstantial evidence where the accused may very well be innocent. He was caught red-handed. No qualms with extinguishing the life of someone like that.

Ah, I understand now. Mentally ill, a.k.a. "Crazy people", can't make plans. Makes sense.

Pandemonium posted:

PS please stop applying your home country's standards to Taiwan. This isn't Canada, USA, England, or wherever you are from. It's super demeaning and racist for you to insist on your "correct" ideas over and against Taiwanese ideas. It's their country, after all, you cultural/ideological imperialist pigs.

Woah! When did you become Mr. Moral Relativism?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The next time I'm back home and somebody cuts me off in traffic? poo poo, they'd better get ready to meet my friend Mr. Smith & Wesson. Get bent!

Pandemonium posted:

Not a lot of people murdering others on subways and then being apprehended on the spot with CCTV and shittons of witnesses to boot. A bit different than being placed on death row cuz of some DNA or even less substantial evidence. Or, god forbid, a making a murderer scenario. It's a good thing that dude and mrt murderer literally have nothing in common.

So how much certainty is actually needed, then, y'know, where do you specifically draw the line? You must be this clearly, irrefutably guilty to be eligible for the death penalty. If you want that to be the policy there literally has to be a way to quantify how sure we are that someone's guilty. And the system has to be robust enough to resist governmental negligence or malfeasance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I like that the problem is apparently a question of the circumstances of the case and whether they warrant a death sentence and not whether death should even be a sentence.