Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

The problem is that outside s very small subset of weapons you can't actually kill a guy before he rolls off to estus.

you're correct, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Dead angling is obnoxious to pull off and I doubt it was ever intended. So I don't think it's a very good argument that parries are fine. I already mentioned unparryable weapons, which are all quite heavy and rather restrictive to your equipment options if you want to be packing one just in case.

My major issue is that parrying drags out fights even longer than they already are because now you have to constantly live in fear of dying in 1 shot and warp your entire fighting style around it. Yeah, being unpredictable with which moves you use helps, but so many attacks are parryable purely on reaction. So a whole lot of help that's going to do you unless you're using specific weapons.

I'm doubtful that a kick can actually be comboed into an R1. Every time I accidentally kicked in the middle of the combo, it always let them roll away. That was with straight swords, so plenty fast.

Uhhh, 1600 HP? You get that if you're the host, embered, and have dumped 50 points into vigor, maybe. I don't think I even hit that when I'm embered at 40 vigor.

Jump attacks are so heinously slow that I'm pretty sure your opponent would have to have actual brain damage to be hit by one. I swear to god your character actually just, pauses in the air for a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmWiQawWqo

Watch this and incorporate it into your play against the next parry fisher you run up against.

Also keep in mind that if they're using anything lighter than a medium shield and you trick them into a partial parry, they're now damaged and have little or no stamina left. Most people back off after their opponent eats a partial, but that's the best time to put on the pressure (unless you know they were at full stamina immediately before the partial parry.)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

another strong parry counter is tears of denial

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So this claims to be a CE file to enable classic poise. I don't particularly want to try it out, but in case someone who likes screwing with the game is so inclined, there it is. (Sorry it's on nexus, that's the only one I've found)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've not finished the game yet and while I'm really enjoying it, I think I liked Bloodborne better.

DS3 feels a lot like a 'souls greatest hits' but I liked the risks they took in BB - no shields, no equip weight, very few weapons (but almost all of them really good & viable end-gamers), no magic/sorcery, reduced number of stats, and the rally mechanic was excellent. It just felt like they streamlined everything and it made for a really fun, pure experience. It wasn't without flaws, no game is, but I think it's FROMs finest work, at least from the solo PvE perspective.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly the one thing this game needs is a way to delevel. It wouldn't hurt too bad with twinks due to weapon level and would allow for more build variations. Like right now I wish I'd stuck at level 80 where builds have to make compromises.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So during the tutorial, I was taught how to kick, but I've completely forgotten how to. Sometimes in a fight I'll mistakenly kick but I don't know what I'm pressing to do it. I use an XBox controller.

Thanks for the earlier help with knight builds + ember questions etc I appreciate it. Will follow the advice I was given in terms of str and not dex, and also putting into vigor.

PS: I ragequit the game earlier because of that bit in skeleton town where that huge archer guy keeps shooting massive arrows down. I ran past the area and thought I was in the clear, but then I got smacked by an arrow and fell of the ledge. Lost 6k souls. So I ran back to get the souls back, and then got bumfucked by a group of skeletons and then we all got ground pound slam dunked by an arrow and I died and lost all 6k. I hope my alt-f4 prevented the game saving so I hope later on when I log in I'll be able to collect my souls...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you ragequit because of 6k souls hoo boy

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

If you ragequit because of 6k souls hoo boy

I'm a little babby... Plus I'm really scared cause everyone pumps Darksouls to be super hard so I'm constantly hoarding souls to level up and buy gear due to the constant fear of reaching an area and being too weak to continue on, and then having no way of gaining enough souls to level up and become strong enough.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
gently caress you, Orbeck, you impatient piece of poo poo. I guess if I want to try a magic build late-game I've got to pay attention to your scroll-greedy rear end. Ain't none of the other merchants have any problem politely sitting on their asses while I do all the heavy lifting, where the gently caress else you think you need to be, anyway?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A very, very important thing to remember is that soul loss is more or less meaningless. The game vomits them out at nearly every single possible opportunity; they are not a finite resource. By the end of the game, you can easily earn 70,000 souls within maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

The whole "soul recovery" mechanic is a cleverly designed psychological trick to make you feel pressured to get them back when, in reality, all that you've lost represents maybe a level or two (which, unless you're trying to hit a specific weapon/spell requirement, won't help you that much). Once you realize that it doesn't matter if you get them back or not, the game's a lot less frustrating.

McKilligan posted:

gently caress you, Orbeck, you impatient piece of poo poo. I guess if I want to try a magic build late-game I've got to pay attention to your scroll-greedy rear end. Ain't none of the other merchants have any problem politely sitting on their asses while I do all the heavy lifting, where the gently caress else you think you need to be, anyway?

In fairness, he does say - at your very first meeting - that he'll only go along with you if you agree to get him some scrolls. If you don't get him some scrolls within a reasonable time frame (four bosses), he'll leave.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Thinking about rocking a notched whip in my offhand for my Dex build. Anything I should be doing with it infusion wise? Should I try and find anther sharp gem for it or go nuts with something else?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Thinking about rocking a notched whip in my offhand for my Dex build. Anything I should be doing with it infusion wise? Should I try and find anther sharp gem for it or go nuts with something else?

I wouldn't bother. All of the whips, aside from the Witch's Locks, are pretty terrible this time around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Loopoo posted:

So during the tutorial, I was taught how to kick, but I've completely forgotten how to. Sometimes in a fight I'll mistakenly kick but I don't know what I'm pressing to do it. I use an XBox controller.

Thanks for the earlier help with knight builds + ember questions etc I appreciate it. Will follow the advice I was given in terms of str and not dex, and also putting into vigor.

PS: I ragequit the game earlier because of that bit in skeleton town where that huge archer guy keeps shooting massive arrows down. I ran past the area and thought I was in the clear, but then I got smacked by an arrow and fell of the ledge. Lost 6k souls. So I ran back to get the souls back, and then got bumfucked by a group of skeletons and then we all got ground pound slam dunked by an arrow and I died and lost all 6k. I hope my alt-f4 prevented the game saving so I hope later on when I log in I'll be able to collect my souls...

Kicking is forward on left stick + RB.

Also don't worry about losing souls, you'll earn that back and more as you go along. Really, when you think about it, losing souls is just losing a bit of time and effort that'll be made up for before you know it.

...Man, Dark Souls really has a way of desensitizing you to death.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

...Man, Dark Souls really has a way of desensitizing you to death.

It's more that you just start to grasp the mechanical underpinnings of the game thoroughly enough to no longer be bothered by them. I was pretty goddamn terrified fighting the Taurus Demon for the first time, because I thought that there was no way i could block the massive overhead swings of his axe with a shield. Once I understood the mechanics of how shields worked, however, that terror vanished into thin air.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So what's the best way to deal with the giant archer's sniping in the Undead Settlement graveyard area? On my first playthrough I tried rolling, sprinting, dodging, etc, but those tactics don't work all of the time (or maybe i just stink?). So now I just tank the arrows with my shield, making sure I keep my stamina up, but that's extremely boring.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

McKilligan posted:

Give him a single scroll before killing four bosses after he's moved to Firelink and he'll stay forever. There's a scroll in the area he's in, and another in Farron Keep, it's not that unreasonable.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Polo-Rican posted:

So what's the best way to deal with the giant archer's sniping in the Undead Settlement graveyard area? On my first playthrough I tried rolling, sprinting, dodging, etc, but those tactics don't work all of the time (or maybe i just stink?). So now I just tank the arrows with my shield, making sure I keep my stamina up, but that's extremely boring.

Go talk to him! Maybe you can make a new friend.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Vermain posted:

I wouldn't bother. All of the whips, aside from the Witch's Locks, are pretty terrible this time around.

:(

Anything flashy that I should look out for then? Just been using a shield till this point but I'm finding in rolling to avoid stuff more than anything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

So what's the best way to deal with the giant archer's sniping in the Undead Settlement graveyard area? On my first playthrough I tried rolling, sprinting, dodging, etc, but unless I stink those tactics don't work all of the time. So now I just tank the arrows with my shield, making sure I keep my stamina up, but that's extremely boring.

You can permanently stop the arrows from hitting you. Go to the tower with the elevator that leads down to Road of Sacrifice. Trigger the elevator switch, but roll off of the elevator so that you stay on that same level. A second elevator will come down that will take you to the top of the tower. Talk to the giant up there and "Make Peace." All of the arrows he fires will no longer hit you, though he will still fire them at enemies. Be certain not to use the special Young White Branch he gives you, as that's the marker the game uses to determine whether you're a valid target for the arrows or not.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I loving love this thread. I feel like I'm a fresh recruit, so green you can still see the grass stains on my rear end. You lot? You lot are the grizzled, scar-ridden, gruff-voiced men sitting in the far corners of the tavern amongst yourselves. So many battles fought and enemies overcome that you've lost any previous optimism or joy you had and have become cold, calculating killing machines. Shrouded in shadow and drinking your sorrows away as I happily skip into the place with a cheery smile on my face and a - what I assume to be - whopping 6000 souls in my pocket.

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

typical encounter I imagine going down

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 16, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Instant Grat posted:

Go talk to him! Maybe you can make a new friend.

Oh yeah, I know you can talk to him, I'm just wondering what the best tactic is for avoiding the arrows before you do so.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh yeah, I know you can talk to him, I'm just wondering what the best tactic is for avoiding the arrows before you do so.

Either treat them like you would the ballista bolts in Smouldering Lake (dodge them as they're flying in but before they impact), or start with the Young White Branch gift (as it acts in exactly the same way as the one he gives you).

w00tmonger posted:

:(

Anything flashy that I should look out for then? Just been using a shield till this point but I'm finding in rolling to avoid stuff more than anything

Not especially, no. Unlike in DS2, dual wielding different weapons isn't really a thing. I'd recommend just picking up the Grass Crest Shield from Crucifixion Woods and using that if you're primarily just dodge rolling.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
Rubbed some finger in the undead settlement to get some pvp going.It was a lot of fun getting invaded constantly, until my phantom buddy said that he can see the scrotum-tree hitpoints. I thought it was a bug or something, but eventually this red invader starts walking towards us at like 10 metres in the air and I get the soul of a greatwood and the other thing that the boss drops.

So be aware that hackers can kill bosses by invading as a red, even if you have never even got to the boss. I had used a seed of a giant prior to this, may have helped him do it I guess?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Loopoo posted:

I'm a little babby... Plus I'm really scared cause everyone pumps Darksouls to be super hard so I'm constantly hoarding souls to level up and buy gear due to the constant fear of reaching an area and being too weak to continue on, and then having no way of gaining enough souls to level up and become strong enough.

Here's the thing, by the time you get to where you might have trouble due to being under-leveled, there will be areas you have just passed where you can go back and get souls if you need them. I totally get getting mad at losing souls, i personally am not a huge fan of the series and it feels stupid to me sometimes too. But really, if you want to powerlevel, its not hard to go farm souls and level up.

Also, make sure you save those soul items you find in the game for when you are back in firelink and need an extra 2k to hit a level up threshold. Don't just use them all for a level now.

The part where you are is still real early in the game, and its a pain in the rear end. Its actually easier to just run through there and keep moving forward since you are going to figure out a way to stop those arrows in the next couple hours of playing.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Instant Grat posted:

Give him a single scroll before killing four bosses after he's moved to Firelink and he'll stay forever. There's a scroll in the area he's in, and another in Farron Keep, it's not that unreasonable.

No, but I learned that the hard way. My MLGS build was a little less fun than my Greataxe anyway, but it's annoying to have wasted a respec. Ah well, until NG+ anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BobTheJanitor posted:

So this claims to be a CE file to enable classic poise. I don't particularly want to try it out, but in case someone who likes screwing with the game is so inclined, there it is. (Sorry it's on nexus, that's the only one I've found)

Tallgeese said it was just an edited version of the iframe script.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm almost through with my first play through on this and I've been using a lothric long sword for the majority of the game. I'm thinking of upping to a greatsword but not sure which one to go with. I'm around 100ish and have str/dex 35 and the meat stats at around 30. Any advice on a good one without too much spoilers?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also, make sure you save those soul items you find in the game for when you are back in firelink and need an extra 2k to hit a level up threshold. Don't just use them all for a level now.

I've been using all those soul shards every time I get to a part in the game with a bonfire. I'll teleport back to Firelink and use them to level up. Is that bad or?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vermain posted:

In fairness, he does say - at your very first meeting - that he'll only go along with you if you agree to get him some scrolls. If you don't get him some scrolls within a reasonable time frame (four bosses), he'll leave.

Isn't it tied to the Abyss Watchers bossfight?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MZ posted:

I've not finished the game yet and while I'm really enjoying it, I think I liked Bloodborne better.

DS3 feels a lot like a 'souls greatest hits' but I liked the risks they took in BB - no shields, no equip weight, very few weapons (but almost all of them really good & viable end-gamers), no magic/sorcery, reduced number of stats, and the rally mechanic was excellent. It just felt like they streamlined everything and it made for a really fun, pure experience. It wasn't without flaws, no game is, but I think it's FROMs finest work, at least from the solo PvE perspective.

Bloodborne was the best game ever made but all of the Dark Souls are better because they have multiplayer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Loopoo posted:

I've been using all those soul shards every time I get to a part in the game with a bonfire. I'll teleport back to Firelink and use them to level up. Is that bad or?

Eh, I wouldn't say that's bad. Starting from mid-game or so, I tend to just burn soul items so I can squeeze an extra level out of my soul count if I can if I'm like 5k away from a level.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Loopoo posted:

nah, all you risk is "I want to go buy X, poo poo, I need another couple souls. Time to go kill some jerks near a bonfire. "

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How the gently caress does a bug like this even happen https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jk33b/cats_out_of_the_bag_i_guess/
Cast magic of the right type > cast another one of the right "final" type with L2/R2 with another catalyst/talisman/etc > doublecast of the first type of magic

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Loopoo posted:

Not bad, I just mean keep some in your pocket so can level up when you have a decent amount of souls, that way you are not running around with 3k shy of a level or something.

6k is nothing, and the game is not balanced where 1 level is the difference between success and failure. You'll start telling if you are under leveled, and conversely, by the time you are, the enemies will drop more souls that will catch you up pretty fast. For the most part, you won't cripple yourself by losing souls when you die, it happens.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm glad they took out Soul Memory, it makes losing souls feel a lot less crippling

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im not even sure how to lose souls in this one. 2 was pretty brutal on parts where losing souls was very possible. This one there doesent seem to be a string of dangerous parts where you could lose souls by dying at the end.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Tallgeese said it's just god mode with the damage ignoring portion of it taken out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

while dodging is usually the preferable strategy against bosses, it feels extremely awesome to dig in with a shield and tank their strong hits. if your stamina isn't fully depleted you go sliding back for a mile without breaking form. it's badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Loopoo posted:

I loving love this thread. I feel like I'm a fresh recruit, so green you can still see the grass stains on my rear end. You lot? You lot are the grizzled, scar-ridden, gruff-voiced men sitting in the far corners of the tavern amongst yourselves. So many battles fought and enemies overcome that you've lost any previous optimism or joy you had and have become cold, calculating killing machines. Shrouded in shadow and drinking your sorrows away as I happily skip into the place with a cheery smile on my face and a - what I assume to be - whopping 6000 souls in my pocket.

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

typical encounter I imagine going down

Relevant to you: https://youtu.be/O5YpUsDsHmk