Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Christo posted:

Question for the thread: Are there any good Pokemon clones aimed at older audiences? I don't mean all grimdark or anything, just something a bit more challenging than the usual monster catching game aimed at 6-13 year olds like Pokemon and Yokai Watch.

Shin Megami Tensei, or a Nuzlocke/Wonderlocke run of an actual Pokémon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Killer Queen posted:

Not to double post, but Charizard can't even learn Fly in RB! The only game where it's legitimately a starter and can Fly is FRLG.

Actually, he can learn fly in Yellow too.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Actually, he can learn fly in Yellow too.

That's the point. Charizard can learn Fly in Yellow, but he isn't a starter in that game!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Christo posted:

Question for the thread: Are there any good Pokemon clones aimed at older audiences? I don't mean all grimdark or anything, just something a bit more challenging than the usual monster catching game aimed at 6-13 year olds like Pokemon and Yokai Watch.

Doing a nuzlocke/egglocke run of XY/ORAS with Exp Share off (of course) can be legitimately challenging and super fun without turning into Grind City between gyms as many poorly designed ROM hacks tend to be.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So over every third person saying everything looks like a Digimon

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
To be fair that Sun Lion is basically Leomon/Saberleomon

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yes but I don't care

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xander B Coolridge posted:

The art design looks nothing like Digimon. It looks like a hyped up legendary beast. That's why all the "it's a Digimon!!!" cries whenever there's a slightly more involved new design are immensely silly.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

digimon is awesome, who are your favorite digimon? mine is gatomon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wormmon looks like a pokemon though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i am partial to wargreymon up to omnimon

e: sorry i meant metalgreymon. sorry

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 16, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sharrrk posted:

gatomon owns

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

sharrrk posted:

the only Digimon I ever saw was the English dub of the movie with All Star by Smash Mouth, so I googled it and I guess Diabolomon is my favorite because he looks like that Rowlet evolution

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

as a child i had a few of those digiegg transformers that turned into their respective digimon. good stuff

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Digimon owns hard, but its similarities to Pokemon are as superficial as "it has monsters" and "sometimes they are animals". That's why the comparisons are tiring.

Tailmon is the best though.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Guilmon's the best, Digimon of the Year All Years

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Angemon and Rapidmon are great.

Nihilarian posted:

the owl reminds me of Avatar for some reason

Glad I'm not the only one who sees that.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i just remembered garudamon, so between metalgreymon or garudamon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I bought the digimon game for ps4 and despite the cyberpunky aesthetic and the anime babes I was compelled to abandon it and buy a bunch of used DS pokemon games instead. a cautionary tale

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Super No Vacancy posted:

I bought the digimon game for ps4 and despite the cyberpunky aesthetic and the anime babes I was compelled to abandon it and buy a bunch of used DS pokemon games instead. a cautionary tale

Digimon tends to not have the best track record with videogames, ironically enough. Cyber Slueth being genuinely good is an exception to the rule, even if it is grindy as all hell.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like Doraemon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Geostomp posted:

Digimon tends to not have the best track record with videogames, ironically enough. Cyber Slueth being genuinely good is an exception to the rule, even if it is grindy as all hell.

i was eyeballing it since the last digimon game i played was digimon world for ps1

i guess ill give it a shot, something to hold me over

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Christo posted:

Literally all of Shin Megami Tensei/Persona

Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Killer Queen posted:

Digimon owns hard, but its similarities to Pokemon are as superficial as "it has monsters" and "sometimes they are animals". That's why the comparisons are tiring.

Tailmon is the best though.

I mean I grew up loving Digimon and obviously the designs are quite different, but when it comes to the overdesigned pokemon (Black/White Kyurem, Hoopa Unbound, That Lion) I can see how the comparisons might be apt.

That said, none of the starters look like Digimon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sharrrk posted:

Impmon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

less laughter posted:

These designs are so cool.

On the off chance these are real it looks like I'll finally be breaking my stance of always taking the water starter.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

other digimon i like: lillymon, herculeskabuterimon, lilithmon, megagargomon, vikemon. theres a lot of cool digimon. but gatomon is the best

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nanimon

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of the worst parts of digimon is the -mon suffix mandate. Could get some good creative names that aren't just description-mon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bogart posted:

One of the worst parts of digimon is the -mon suffix mandate. Could get some good creative names that aren't just description-mon.

no, bogartmon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i thought it was supposed to be like a file extension.

skullgrey.mon
tamago.mon
kabuteri.mon

e: oh tentamon is cool too. tentamon, metalgreymon, garudamon. those are my answers. thank you

oddium fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 16, 2016

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
All the Digimon are trash and they have no place in this thread. Mods?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

digimon are cool and my friends

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Chill Penguin posted:

All the Digimon are trash and they have no place in this thread. Mods?

Digimon are the champions, friendo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

nah, it's more like a Zoid. I'm cool with it though

My favorite Digimon line is Gomamon and his digivolutions

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like terriermon

and digitamamon

and frigimon

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sharrrk posted:

other digimon i like: lillymon, herculeskabuterimon, lilithmon, megagargomon, vikemon. theres a lot of cool digimon. but gatomon is the best

Lillymon rules.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

:chloe:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the best digimon are stingmon, tigervespamon, togemon, and the terriermon line btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

So over every third person saying everything looks like a Digimon

The best part is

That said any discussion of best Digimon needs to include Ikakkumon he is my big hairy walrus bro.

• Locked thread