Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yep, I'm fine.

No layoffs yesterday, actually - just the end of a bunch of contracts, which is a similar series of partings that bring us to drink. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lineage 1 revenue is still crazy. How old is that game now?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Older than Warcraft by a fair margin. It's still basically the national MMO of Korea and has a ton of pure cultural inertia behind it. so it probably still has a ton of life left in it.

What I didn't expect was for the BnS English launch to bring in that much dosh, god drat. Be curious to see how it does for the rest of the year.

Glad to hear you're still okay, Cyster. Can you talk about what kind of plans you guys have for content and the like going forward? I can't imagine the game staff is very big at this point, so that's gotta limit what can be done.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

It's a small team, but honestly the folks left are all pretty drat solid and I can depend on 'em to do good work.

General goal moving forward is to focus on systems that will extend the life of the content we make. We've got some decent ideas in that direction. In addition we've had some things in the works (expeditions, new raid, etc.) that we're completing and have improvements in accessibility on the way - multiqueueing, cross-faction queueing, that sort of thing.

I'm pretty happy with the work I've done on the game so far, and I'll continue that work.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I eagerly await the steam floodgates.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cyster posted:

It's a small team, but honestly the folks left are all pretty drat solid and I can depend on 'em to do good work.

General goal moving forward is to focus on systems that will extend the life of the content we make. We've got some decent ideas in that direction. In addition we've had some things in the works (expeditions, new raid, etc.) that we're completing and have improvements in accessibility on the way - multiqueueing, cross-faction queueing, that sort of thing.

I'm pretty happy with the work I've done on the game so far, and I'll continue that work.

You seriously deserve to be working on a game with a future and not just sitting on some driftwood watching the Titanic sink.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

jabro posted:

You seriously deserve to be working on a game with a future and not just sitting on some driftwood watching the Titanic sink.

I appreciate the sentiment and I'm being pretty drat realistic about my situation, all told. :v: Eyes are always open for new opportunities. But for now I can do some decent work here, so I will.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I was going to guess seventeen, but I'm a year off. It's eighteen.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I think at launch, not having a group finder could have saved Wildstar. With group finders comes the expectation that you just breeze through a dungeon when you queue for it. This was a massive cause for people leaving- they tried to do the attunement by queueing for it. Without a dungeon finder, people would be inclined to do a lot more preparation from dungeons. WoW proves this- Cata dungeons weren't that much harder than they used to be, it's just that everyone queued and expected to get instantly geared.
I could be wrong, just a thought I came up with since I quit Wildstar.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you take out modern features from modern games people just get frustrated they aren't there, making things harder to do would not have helped Wildstar's launch

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This game has done quite a few really cool things and has a really interesting story to experience. However I think a big killer for the game early on wasn't just bugs or fundamental miscalculations on certain key design decisions that split or drove off the community in unfortunate ways. I think what hurt this game the most was unrealistic profit expectations and insufficient investment of capital into the game post launch to successfully launch a new IP in a super crowded market.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
No you could probably list a hundred things about the game that were obtuse or stupid. The reward structure of the adventures and dungeons punishing groups for making mistakes (which contributed to the incredibly toxic nature of the playerbase), the opaque and idiotic rune things for gear, the underwhelming nature of player power increases as you gained gear, the random-drop AMP system, grinding up ability points, bugs that were reported and known yet existed for ages and weren't fixed including some which made it effectively impossible to play your class properly, bugs that wiped people's progress and couldn't be fixed without doing it all over again, oh and the economy getting completely borked by exploits that couldn't actually be rolled back I mean jesus christ.

There was/is good stuff in the game but I do not believe for a second that just releasing more content faster would have saved it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
2 for 2 CoffeeBooze, great work.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyster posted:

I appreciate the sentiment and I'm being pretty drat realistic about my situation, all told. :v: Eyes are always open for new opportunities. But for now I can do some decent work here, so I will.

Are you single?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shes a video game developer. Of course she is.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Uhh... married to my work?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cyster posted:

Lol that's one abusive relationship. You're going to have a Lifetime movie about you soon.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

jabro posted:

Lol that's one abusive relationship. You're going to have a Lifetime movie about you soon.

Or a Chuck Tingle book.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

Sever.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
seems to me that cyster is in on the ground floor of an up and coming wildstar resurgence

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Blazing Zero posted:

seems to me that cyster is in on the ground floor of an up and coming wildstar resurgence

Aurin Engineers will SAVE wildstar!!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This image tells you all you need to know:
http://imgur.com/AG8d7vD

Players in their 30s, 40s and 50s+ make up 43, 16 and 28% of Lineage 1's playerbase respectively. These people started playing when the game was launched, and then just... never, ever stopped. They all have salaries and jobs and contribute a very, very steady stream of revenue to the game. They're probably not going anywhere until they die.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pryce posted:

Sounds like Cyster's okay, at least:

Why'd you link to her real-life account? Sorry if she disclosed it earlier in the thread.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I was going to guess seventeen, but I'm a year off. It's eighteen.

Holy poo poo.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cyster posted:

Yep, I'm fine.

No layoffs yesterday, actually - just the end of a bunch of contracts, which is a similar series of partings that bring us to drink. :v:

I have to ask, given the situation, was that avatar bought for you?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyster posted:

Let's go out for coffee sometime if you weigh under 135 pounds

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I have to ask, given the situation, was that avatar bought for you?

Yep. Haven't seen much point in changing it, really!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Why'd you link to her real-life account? Sorry if she disclosed it earlier in the thread.

Pretty sure that's been public knowledge since like, pre-launch.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Cyster posted:

Yep. Haven't seen much point in changing it, really!

:drat:

You're a cool person. I hope circumstances turn in your favor.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mike12345 posted:

People know who she is already from her WoW dev team days.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mike "raiding for raiders" Donatelli just left carbine, which begs the question of why he was still there and which game he'll gently caress up next.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Wasn't he the "well close the game down before we go f2p" guy.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Kessel posted:

This image tells you all you need to know:
http://imgur.com/AG8d7vD

Players in their 30s, 40s and 50s+ make up 43, 16 and 28% of Lineage 1's playerbase respectively. These people started playing when the game was launched, and then just... never, ever stopped. They all have salaries and jobs and contribute a very, very steady stream of revenue to the game. They're probably not going anywhere until they die.

My dad turned 60 last year and has had a WoW subscription continuously since the game came out, even if he sometimes only plays like once a week for months at a time. I think at this point the only thing that might get him to quit is becoming unfit to deal with the demands of main-healing or tanking raids for age-related reasons. So probably not for another ten years.

And even then, he's a huge fan of pet battles :v:

He simply has no drive to start over in a new game from scratch. He knows the ins and outs of WoW and he knows where to look up things he doesn't know. It's a comfortable grove.

MMO inertia is real.

I wish CoH still existed. I would have stayed around :qq:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 15, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If the Aion devs would have improved the game with every extension instead of making it worse, I would also still play Aion.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Aion got worse? Last time I played it was when they raised the level cap to 55. It was alright, as far as Korean mmos with gently caress tons of grind go at least.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

croutonZA posted:

Aion got worse? Last time I played it was when they raised the level cap to 55. It was alright, as far as Korean mmos with gently caress tons of grind go at least.

Ok. It got better with 2.0. But 3.0 and up made it worse again. It's becoming more and more pay2win over time. It's still less grindy to level though yes. The trouble starts at end game.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ok. It got better with 2.0. But 3.0 and up made it worse again. It's becoming more and more pay2win over time. It's still less grindy to level though yes. The trouble starts at end game.

Oh yeah, when I mean grind I'm talking about the end game gear enhancement grind. Trying to get your weapon +15 with good manastones slotted was a loving nightmare and basically put me off playing another MMO somewhat seriously. Maybe I should be thanking them actually.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, you can enchant everything now! Some items don't even have an upper limit for enchanting. And they get destroyed if you fail enchanting even once.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Unless you use your credit card to buy Enchantment Failure Insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I see ncsoft learned well from nexon during their time together.

• Locked thread