Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thank y'all for getting your Mishima on this month in the BOTM

Hey I'm still doing an all female author 2016 let me know when BOTM stops being such a sausage fest smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey I'm still doing an all female author 2016 let me know when BOTM stops being such a sausage fest smh

That's up to the voters

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nanomashoes posted:

You're at the Eastern Europe and Central Asia parts, right? I can't imagine getting bored there, those are fantastic.

It's not boredom as much as fatigue.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
man i cannot imagine doing a themed read for an entire year. reading more women is great, do that, but I'd go nuts if i were that restricted in my reading selection for that long

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
yeah there's not really a lot of variety in women's writing

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I already know two women, I don't need to read books by them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Officer Sandvich posted:

um

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

what women have you read?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It was a joke

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's like this: reading is for women, writing is for men.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you claim to be a man and have ever read a single written word, you are a phony.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Nice alt Mallamp.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Actually I'm preencleeve grothesmore's alt, I read Das Kapital 12 times but the kids at middle school still make fun of me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nanomashoes posted:

Actually I'm preencleeve grothesmore's alt, I read Das Kapital 12 times but the kids at middle school still make fun of me.

Lmao I forgot about this guy

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

A human heart posted:

Marguerite Henry, Jk rowling

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Officer Sandvich posted:

Marguerite Henry, Jk rowling

Also Stephanie meyer

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

I read a woman last night who had "KISS ME I'M IRISH" tattooed across her chest.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I picked up an old paperback copy of Borges' Ficciones. I have never read Borges, but I just opened at random to The Circular Ruins and enjoyed it a lot. Is the rest of his work mostly surrealist like this?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

that guy ruled so much

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

I picked up an old paperback copy of Borges' Ficciones. I have never read Borges, but I just opened at random to The Circular Ruins and enjoyed it a lot. Is the rest of his work mostly surrealist like this?

yes and it's all great, don't listen to mel. read the library of babel next

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

yes and it's all great, don't listen to mel. read the library of babel next

I didnt even say anything!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

next time we could do svetlana alekseievitch, perhaps, because as i have recently discovered she really owns

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

she was the botm right after she won the nobel prize

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
has houellebecq been in botm? that could be popular and lead to some good discussion. shoutout to david crosby for suggesting i start with map & territory. i'll put on If I could only remember my name as a thanks.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 16, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Anyone having read a story by Borges and wondering "is the rest of this guy's stuff pretty much the same?" is in for a real treat.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

has houellebecq been in botm? that could be popular and lead to some good discussion. shoutout to david crosby for suggesting i start with map & territory. i'll put on If I could only remember my name as a thanks.

Glad yo;u liked it.

Can anyone recommended some kool short story authors? I want to read lots of the big time short story writers over the next few years. recently I've read Borges (again) Chekhov, Nabokov, Flannery O'Connor & O Henry. Short stories are good because you can read them quick and keep your PPD count high.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Can anyone recommended some kool short story authors? I want to read lots of the big time short story writers over the next few years. recently I've read Borges (again) Chekhov, Nabokov, Flannery O'Connor & O Henry. Short stories are good because you can read them quick and keep your PPD count high.

Tenth of December is one of the best short story collections ever. Read it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

this too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish I could get into short stories, but I hardly ever enjoy reading them compared to novels. Same with writing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Palm-of-the-Hand Stories by Yasunari Kawabata. Does Winesburg, Ohio count? Read Winesburg, Ohio

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Daniil Kharms

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if you want to read short stories where the english are not permanently harmed, there's wodehouse. if you want to read ones where they are permanently harmed, there's saki. i believe that covers all possible scenarios.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Yoko OGawa in Revenge has cool and creepy stories, Hassan Blasim's stuff gets crazy in a good way, Bruno Schulz is sublime, Alice munro's stories in The Love of a Good Woman are like great mini-novels.

that's the best I've got of the ones i read in the last few year.s

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
also,

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I didnt even say anything!!

im being proactive

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been reading This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz and it's pretty good.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Lots of good suggestions already, but I'm gonna throw my hat in for pretty much anything by Donald Barthelme or George Saunders. Amy Hempel and Joy Williams are pretty great too, and I just started Rajesh Parameswaran's I Am an Executioner, so I can't say for sure yet, but it seems promising so far.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Raymond Carver. The guy was a master of the form, and I've got Birdman to thank for introducing me to him. “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love” is my favorite collection of his.

Strongly seconding Barthelme, too; his prose is almost dreamlike.

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 16, 2016

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Read Alvaro Enrigue's Hypothermia. Weird depraved Mexican author. Book features orgies, infidelity, being struck by lightning, and reality TV cooking show embarrassment. It's super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I enjoyed Brief Encounters with Che Guevara, a set of 8 revolution adjacent short stories by Ben Fountain.