Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:argh:

Something something blushing kirie, good chapter

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am bored

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm actually starting to really like Mizore. I just wish Akamatsu would lay off the fanservice, or failing that at least not draw her like she was 12.

Sigh, UQ Holder, why do you have to make it so hard to love you.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What are the stakes of this race, again?

Literally nothing??

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HellCopter posted:

What are the stakes of this race, again?

Literally nothing??

Touta's hand in marriage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Touta's hand in marriage.

HellCopter posted:

Literally nothing??

Marriage don't mean nothing to a springfield man-whore.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

Marriage don't mean nothing to a springfield man-whore.

Please don't slutshame tia

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Sandman posted:

On the flipside, kind of surprised Kirië hasn't broken into Eva's stash of age-increasing pills yet.

Wait, I thought Eva's appearance was something she could just change since the events of Negima (and consequently not having that whole school barrier thing to worry about).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, I thought Eva's appearance was something she could just change since the events of Negima (and consequently not having that whole school barrier thing to worry about).

She uses magic to change her age, yeah. But since she was the one who provided those pills to start with, that is probably how she does it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Touta's evolution from just being popular to straight up being completely idolized by all women other than Adult Evangeline has been pretty entertaining.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I will admit I have no loving idea what the point of this race is. I mean, beyond creepy fanservice. I don't remember what the stakes are, I just know its nothing all that related to the plot.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Angry Grimace posted:

I will admit I have no loving idea what the point of this race is. I mean, beyond creepy fanservice. I don't remember what the stakes are, I just know its nothing all that related to the plot.

I thought that the idea was that the winner gets to be like, the recognized super champion racer who will go on to the olympics in space to race, which is basically Shiori or w/e her name's dream?

Is it really literally nothing?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Isn't there something about interstellar colonization in the mix, too? Admittedly, sending immortals for interstellar colonization sure solves a lot of the engineering problems ...

However, I'm not really interested in Love Hina, redux, thanks. I'm finally bailing on this one. Maybe I'll read it in batches.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

buzmeg posted:

Isn't there something about interstellar colonization in the mix, too? Admittedly, sending immortals for interstellar colonization sure solves a lot of the engineering problems ...

However, I'm not really interested in Love Hina, redux, thanks. I'm finally bailing on this one. Maybe I'll read it in batches.

Love Hina was better than these last couple arcs.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, this is getting tiring. I just want this race thing to be over so we can hopefully get back to some action or whatever, especially with that Negi (plus almost certainly illusory Yue and Nodoka and Rakan and Albiero Imma) tease that we had prior to this race starting.

I mean, I know (somewhat skeevy) fanservice is to be expected in an Akamatsu work and this is pretty much par for the course, but even so much embarrassed Kirie isn't enough to get me through these last couple of chapters.

Though I guess the Mizore/Chachamaru/old Ayaka flashback dialogue was something to hold my interest this chapter, but just barely. Wanna see more of Chachamaru and old Ayaka now. Sure. she likely can't do much what with being an old lady in a wheelchair now, even with those age changing magic pills someone suggested last page, but she's still a better character than whatever else is going on right now...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

It's only REALLY gotten terrible with this race, though boy am I not on board with Karin entering the Toutabowl.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chumbler posted:

People forget Love Hina was actually good because the anime was bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I agree. I was more saying that these last couple arcs have been bad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I really enjoyed Love Hina, as it's what got me into Akamatsu manga in the first place, it catching my eye when i was in a Barnes and Noble killing time during freshman year of high school. Still have a couple of later volumes sitting in storage in my bookshelf, though they're in pretty bad condition because I didn't take care of them.

And yeah, the anime was terrible, and one of the first times I learned that anime adaptations of manga don't always follow the original material (and the fact that Akamatsu will never have a faithful anime adaptation of any of his series, which will always be a massive shame).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

chumbler posted:

I also agree!

:hfive:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Love Hina had a lovely moral though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Work hard to achieve your dreams?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Have many life experiences and interact with others to become a better person, and recognize that setbacks in life are something to learn from and are not the end?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GhostStalker posted:

Man, I really enjoyed Love Hina, as it's what got me into Akamatsu manga in the first place, it catching my eye when i was in a Barnes and Noble killing time during freshman year of high school. Still have a couple of later volumes sitting in storage in my bookshelf, though they're in pretty bad condition because I didn't take care of them.

And yeah, the anime was terrible, and one of the first times I learned that anime adaptations of manga don't always follow the original material (and the fact that Akamatsu will never have a faithful anime adaptation of any of his series, which will always be a massive shame).

yeah but how about that opening song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_05F3Y4L8w

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Turn into a clone of the man your love pines for if you want to win her heart.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

More like become a better man than her first crush and persevere to win her heart. You're worse than the girls of the Hinata Inn in terms of near-malicious misinterpretation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite part of Love Hina is that Keitaro goes through a lot of character development unlike most harem shows which are content to keep their lead useless and pathetic for the wish fulfillment aspect.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm convinced that Keitaro is an immortal. Man should be dead several times over.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChronoReverse posted:

More like become a better man than her first crush and persevere to win her heart. You're worse than the girls of the Hinata Inn in terms of near-malicious misinterpretation.

He literally turns into Seta. Archaeologist, drives van and crashes into poo poo, bleeds profusely, has that same happy-go-lucky personality. Meanwhile Naru is pretty much exactly the same. It's pretty bullshit if you think about it.

Motoko loved Keitaro for who he was :colbert:

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 12, 2016

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Motoko loved Keitaro for who he was :colbert:
Ah, I see what the problem is. There won't be removing the cognitive dissonance here.

Also, picking up some similar attributes doesn't make you a clone. Plus Keitaro actually chased after Naru while Seta ran away and had to be set up. Keitaro was a better man.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

yeah but how about that opening song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_05F3Y4L8w

Man, almost forgot about that one. That was a really good OP, does bring back memories when I hear it. Not always good ones, but the song is great.

And I liked the way Love Hina ended. Better than Negima, that's to be sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

More like become a better man than her first crush and persevere to win her heart.

It's not hard to be better than Nagi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm convinced that Keitaro is an immortal. Man should be dead several times over.

Isn't it a running joke that he's immortal so when his leg gets broken everyone is flabbergasted?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I'd disagree; it's definitely a situation of Keitaro becoming a better man than Seta ever was. We find out he and Haruka were going to be an item, but Seta was indecisive and ended up taking an archaeological job out of the country that ruined their relationship. Then the point comes where Keitaro gets the same offer, and he turns it down because he sees how much it hurts Naru.

I will admit that Naru didn't get nearly the growth Keitaro did, though she did get a lot more growth and agency than usual for a romantic interest in a shounen series (particularly considering the time it was written).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's the long part without Keitaro that's all about her development instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

It's less that they're bad, and more that what seemed like a fine breather arc turned into 20 chapters of fanservice-hijinks.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah this race is going on way too long. The backstory we got on Shinobu's goal and Mizore's past was great! But that makes the race seem even worse in comparison. Oh well.

I was glad to see that Inchou is still the best!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's cute that Chachamaru still calls her Iinchou. Glad she's stayed mostly the same, even if everyone else has changed.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Speaking of heroine crushes, did we find out where Takahashi (sp?) ended up in Negima? I think he may have shown up at the end of the Magical World arc for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Skychrono posted:

Speaking of heroine crushes, did we find out where Takahashi (sp?) ended up in Negima? I think he may have shown up at the end of the Magical World arc for a minute.

He shows up in the backgrounds of Mahora with tits sensei after they hook up

• Locked thread