Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Starkk posted:

That's nuts. The help desk job I start next week, my first IT job, starts at 47k a yr w/ full benefits(Seattle). I only have my A+ too.

The hell?

Granted, Seattle isn't cheap but that sounds like you landed in a good shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Man that's got to be a kick in the teeth. Applying for a job you KNOW they're going to gently caress you over at, and still not getting it.

Yeah he was crushed, he was still posting about it a yr or two later =/

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

The hell?

It's for a very large fortune 500 company downtown, but remember this is the place that requires a tie everyday. Also I was looking at a robert half salary guide and 47k is about average for the area, well according to them anyways.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Starkk posted:

It's for a very large fortune 500 company downtown, but remember this is the place that requires a tie everyday. Also I was looking at a robert half salary guide and 47k is about average for the area, well according to them anyways.
I haven't seen their numbers, but caveat emptor: any headhunting company is working very hard to convince you that you're underpaid and undervalued.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Thanks to those who recommended pre-check to me. Granted the regular line wasn't obscenely long, but it took me less than a minute to get through security just now.

Starkk posted:

You guys still doing ticketing with a Notes database?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Thanks to those who recommended pre-check to me. Granted the regular line wasn't obscenely long, but it took me less than a minute to get through security just now.

You guys still doing ticketing with a Notes database?

I don't know, I start later in the week.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Here's the Data Center on the other end of that wiring closet I posted earlier:

mmm.

Looks so good in the dark.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

The hell?

We start our tier1 guys at $24/hr with benefits, down in Beaverton OR. Its not that unusual, good companies pay well for good people.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

We start our tier1 guys at $24/hr with benefits, down in Beaverton OR. Its not that unusual, good companies pay well for good people.

It's too bad andy and scott don't live in the area anymore, I liked the area when I stayed with andy and jill for a week.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

Hey speaking of new jobs get a load of this one

It was here but it got taken down. Here's their update: https://austin.craigslist.org/cpg/5587425872.html

So you get to do everything from running your own cables all the way to managing the software that runs data over them.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It says don't contact them to complain, but it doesn't say anything about contacting them to mercilessly mock them between fits of uncontrollable belly laughter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also, uh, 'entry-level' consists of words with meanings, guys. 'We require everyone to have 4-5 years experience in a similar role' is not that meaning because that means you have to have already entered, half a decade ago!

Like, I have to wonder if this was some kind of troll.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Also, uh, 'entry-level' consists of words with meanings, guys. 'We require everyone to have 4-5 years experience in a similar role' is not that meaning because that means you have to have already entered, half a decade ago!

Like, I have to wonder if this was some kind of troll.

Sounds like an H1B excuse. We tried everything to find a competent, local talent, but there was no one qualified! We have to hire someone from overseas!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like that after almost 20 years in I.T. I don't qualify for that "entry level" job because I have no certs.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

The hell?

Yeah... my first IT job was $11/hr and I thought that was good pay at the time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

my company pays $18/hr starting for T1 helpdesk, no experience requirement, most positions are gained nepotism though, everyone knows someone.

This is in Chicago suburbs though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dick Trauma posted:

I like that after almost 20 years in I.T. I don't qualify for that "entry level" job because I have no certs.

Don't you dare even try to apply, or you'll be blacklisted!!!

Edit:
Who applies (can apply) to a job that they fulfill all requirements for?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SEKCobra posted:

Who applies (can apply) to a job that they fulfill all requirements for?

People without ambition, or confidence?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

People that need a job right the gently caress now

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

RFC2324 posted:

Well most jobs here have ridiculous requirements if you take it as a "must have all of these", no one has advanced experience and certs in completely different fields.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

People that need a job right the gently caress now

I needed a job right the gently caress now, and ended up taking something that was less than optimal(gently caress contract work). I still followed the rule of going for jobs just a little out of reach at my current skill level so I have room to grow.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Well most jobs here have ridiculous requirements if you take it as a "must have all of these", no one has advanced experience and certs in completely different fields.

Pfft.

All job ads are literal wish lists no matter how huffy nitpicking hiring managers choose to be.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Dick Trauma posted:

Got my first IT job during high school in the 80s.

Still not a single cert.

Preach on brother!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There are plenty of specialized, useful, and interesting certs beyond comptia, which I agree you don't need 20 years into your career.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have certs because I like money and future employability and employers like and care about them. Also because we have to to maintain partner certification levels.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I got a VMware cert once because it was free with the boot camp

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I got my certs cause the boss man said so and now I know exactly what Verb-Noun Powershell Cmdlet does!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I just can't belive AWS seriously has DevOps certs now. What a joke.

edit: the 3 I have were from a job that required, and paid for, them.

edit 2: anecdotally, my first Tier 1 job outside of the Navy was $24/hour. Granted, it required a secret clearance. It's also the one that paid for those certs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 16, 2016

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Any DevOps people want to move to scenic Richmond, VA? No traffic, low cost of living, near the beach, mountains, DC, yada yada yada. All of a sudden EVERYONE needs DevOps...

(No AWS cert required!)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Believe you have to clear both a developer and a sysops certification to even qualify, and it sounds there's very few people worldwide who have the pro level AWS certs (or I guess all 5). My understanding is that some AWS partners have to maintain a certain number of certified people on staff.

e: under 1,000 for pro devops and slightly over 2,000 for pro solution architect,if anyone cares

air- fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 16, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I got certs for partner status and because starting in Jr High I discovered I had an aptitude for taking timed multiple choice tests. It helped me get into college and grad school, and now is helping me get better jobs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got my certs because that's how it worked at WGU.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only Cert I have is my DCap (work paid for it). There aren't any certs for embedded Linux systems engineers. :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

:stonklol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a company still using some ISP-provided shithouse decades out-of-date mail server with no filtering in TYOOL 2016?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nice Outlook Express

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that a company still using some ISP-provided shithouse decades out-of-date mail server with no filtering in TYOOL 2016?

Yes but I'm the lovely mail server.

Not pictured is 60-70 users each with a full year's worth of email trapped in their queue because MX records are hard. No SPF, SSL cert, PTR, etc either.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 17, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If nobody has noticed the lack of email for a year then just pull the plug and walk away

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

If nobody has noticed the lack of email for a year then just pull the plug and walk away

There are forwarders set up so that mail hits the old server and is forwarded to office 365 appropriately. Except a copy of the original message remains trapped in the queue, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk: