Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mindblast posted:

The uac guys in this game dug up the soul cube. Make of that what you will.

And it refuses to work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ularg posted:

I'm one of those poors and the $60 is a good investment on a campaign I will be replaying several times in the years to come. And voting with my wallet that I want more campaigns like Doom (and a doom 5)

I spent $38, but so far it feels overly worth it.

MisterBibs posted:

And it refuses to work for them.

Wonder if they got the Unmaker if they got the Soul Cube.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Seemed to me like Doom I, II, and 64 are canon while Doom 3 is its own thing, aside from the Soul Cube easter egg. At the end of D64, Doomguy stays in Hell to prevent another invasion. In this one, he wakes up having been put in a sarcophagus in Hell for who knows how long.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhh there was a whole lot of flayed bodies and corpses and blood and evil satan goats in Doom 4. Not sure what you mean.

Also not sure why you edited your post, you had a good point I think. Lots of gore in Doom 4, also in Hell.

I mean Hell wasn't full of like HR Geiger style naked bodies loving and dying in piles of corpses or whatever, but they didn't want to get an AO rating. Its plenty gorey as is.

I realized (maybe incorrectly) that he was talking specifically about Hell and I sort of agreed with him. Thinking about it now, though, Hell is its own dimension with living, thinking creatures in it so it makes sense for it to look lived in and not just like a dumpster full of human bodies.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Shadow of Mordor is actually one of the best SP games of this generation and it'd be the best of any generation if they had the balls to just go ahead and make the Orc politics simulation game it was clearly meant to be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Shadow of Mordor is actually one of the best SP games of this generation and it'd be the best of any generation if they had the balls to just go ahead and make the Orc politics simulation game it was clearly meant to be.

Game was fun but it was missing an entire act.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.[3][4]

I should probably get around to reading Masters of Doom at some point. Someone make a Snapmap level where Doomguy is John Carmack and you have to break into a UAC funded university and sneak past all the demons to steal a computer to code on.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just played a tiny bit of multiplayer and it's not terrible. I've played worse. Had some fun but definitely should not have had the huge marketing push behind it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The MP was wasted potential. They could have made it Quake III Arena 2016 Edition but they go and cock it up with this two weapon nonsense. How the gently caress?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Multi is garbage, a no load-outs, pick up weapons type game list would go a long way to make it better, also remove the super shotgun and rocket launcher from load-outs and make them map drops, one is way to overpowered the other is to underpowered.

Oh and the demon rune mechanic is incredibly stupid and terrible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

The MP was wasted potential. They could have made it Quake III Arena 2016 Edition but they go and cock it up with this two weapon nonsense. How the gently caress?

they could've made Doom: Enemy Territory actually

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It would have been fine if they didn't lock the weapons behind an XP wall. Seriously, why can't I just use whatever weapon I want from the beginning instead of play 5-10 hours of "That cocksucker with the lightning gun killed me and I want that"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Seemed to me like Doom I, II, and 64 are canon while Doom 3 is its own thing, aside from the Soul Cube easter egg. At the end of D64, Doomguy stays in Hell to prevent another invasion. In this one, he wakes up having been put in a sarcophagus in Hell for who knows how long.

I haven't gotten to the bit where it says it, but doesn't some blurb say that you're not even human, you're just some other alien that fought against Hell?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I should probably get around to reading Masters of Doom at some point.

I picked it up for a re-read because of this game's release, but I've been lax in actually reading it. I remember it being good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Alteisen posted:

Multi is garbage, a no load-outs, pick up weapons type game list would go a long way to make it better, also remove the super shotgun and rocket launcher from load-outs and make them map drops, one is way to overpowered the other is to underpowered.

Oh and the demon rune mechanic is incredibly stupid and terrible.

On the contrary, YOU are stupid and terrible.

Joking aside, my actual only complaint about Newdoom is the lack of walls made out of crawling, screaming faces. Doom 2 had some wonderful METAL imagery.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Glagha posted:

Joking aside, my actual only complaint about Newdoom is the lack of walls made out of crawling, screaming faces. Doom 2 had some wonderful METAL imagery.

Are you sure they didn't capture that, also look how big my resolution is!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glagha posted:

The truth hurts. :smith:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Glagha posted:

No thanks, I like not having nightmares.

Also, in the the second trip to hell there's an area with human corpses weaved into the walls. In old fasion their genitals were seared off so they looked more like mannequins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It seems odd you cant upgrade the difficulty in a save. I'm at a point that mastering this last rune is impossible because I just don't die.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

It seems odd you cant upgrade the difficulty in a save. I'm at a point that mastering this last rune is impossible because I just don't die.

You can change the difficulty whenever you want, if that's what you mean.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
MP is sort of aggravating to play, because it feels like it's close to a really good game. The problem is the movement speed and lack of any sort of movement 'tricks' like boost dodging or strafejumping makes it a little too simple, which is in turn made worse when the chaingun is so easy to use that there's really no point in using much else. Almost every match boils down to people running straight forward with the chaingun spun up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

You can change the difficulty whenever you want, if that's what you mean.

Oh you can? I thought you were locked in the slot.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
This game is really good. Is not as good as brutal doom v20 though!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Oh you can? I thought you were locked in the slot.

You can change it in the Game menu in Settings.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tenzarin posted:

Where is the mountain dew tie in with the game too?

Mountain Dew Berserk - blood red, a little more syrupy, double the caffeine of normal Dew and a sprinkle of bath salts

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Al-Saqr posted:

So IGN confirmed that they're stupid shitheads and gave the game a 7.1

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/16/doom-review-2?page=2

So basically they took a poo poo ton of points off of the game because of the multiplayer, a part that is purely optional.

YOu know what? Bethesda was right, if THESE are the frauds who call themselves game reviewers that we're dealing with, then good, gently caress giving them review copies.

who wants to bet that the next call of duty will get a 9/10 from these dorks? and that they'll say 'the single player was meh, but WOW TALK ABOUT THOSE MULTIPLAYER PERKS!!! 9/10!!"

Last I checked, the multiplayer is indeed part of the game. And it sucks. Why shouldn't they deduct the score for that?

Although I do agree that the biased sentiments towards other shooters is lame as well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think its funny as gently caress that everyone freaked about the multi being too modern and reviewers freaked about the sp not being modern enough. Personally I felt almost flattered that a game this nice looking gave a poo poo about my long forgotten circle strafe skillz.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a way to change the rooms FX preset through triggers? Like I have a room set up as Dark and wanted it to go back to default once the player restored power.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

My favorite review of D44M so far was one that mentioned circle strafing and then added a parenthetical explaining to the reader that it meant to shoot an enemy while moving in a circle

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

For all you nerds on AMD cards, they released new drivers that supposedly increase performance in DOOMS THE FOURTH by 35%? Maybe?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I had Low T prior to playing the Doom campaign, and now I have more T than I know what to do with.

I just had blood work done and my testosterone is sitting at a smooth 800. Up from 282.

If your'e on the fence and your balls are kinda small, buy Doom and play the campaign. It's a lot more fun than injections.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gonkish posted:

For all you nerds on AMD cards, they released new drivers that supposedly increase performance in DOOMS THE FOURTH by 35%? Maybe?

What, no 66.6% performance boost? What a ripoff :argh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

What, no 66.6% performance boost? What a ripoff :argh:

A seriously missed opportunity, to be sure.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

To get trick shot with the lost souls what are you trying to do?

EDIT: nvm, you ARE supposed to have one kamikaze at you and have another near by to get hurt by it.
I actually managed to get this by riddling a Lost Soul which was charging at me with machine gun bullets so that it flew straight backwards and hit another Lost Soul

Of course I managed to do this on a totally different level so I didn't get the challenge done :mad:

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Just beat the single player campaign. That whole experience was badass. :rock: :kheldragar:

Game only crashed once on me, not bad. Sure did make my computer cry the entire time.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ularg posted:

It would have been fine if they didn't lock the weapons behind an XP wall. Seriously, why can't I just use whatever weapon I want from the beginning instead of play 5-10 hours of "That cocksucker with the lightning gun killed me and I want that"

This exactly. I had to play a few rounds to get my load out of Rocket Launcher/Chaingun or Rocket Launcher/SSG. And in that time I realized the Chaingun is too good so why not just use that.

More complaints: the "hacks" feel almost like Deathstreaks from MW2/3, with some catering to the (VERY loving BAD) playstyle of "get immediate revenge on the guy that fragged you".

Is it safe to coin a new NEDM in the form of "Not Even Doom Multiplayer"?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If I approach it carefully, do the monsters stop coming after you destroy one of Vega's cooling towers eventually, or do I have to do the whole padding thing in one go?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So Snapmap is really all we are going to have for modding, and it is going to stay on the multiplayer side of things? After playing a few user maps it isn't doing much for me, and I just don't understand how they couldn't keep the controls and stuff consistent between the two sides of the game.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ultra-nightmare (iron man mode) shows you helmets on the ground for other people that played and died there and lists what killed them and the timestamp

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MisterBibs posted:

If I approach it carefully, do the monsters stop coming after you destroy one of Vega's cooling towers eventually, or do I have to do the whole padding thing in one go?

Each objective point has its own wave of enemies I believe unless you're playing on Nightmare or something. I just said gently caress it and blew them all up because that's more fun.

Rip and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

Each objective point has its own wave of enemies I believe unless you're playing on Nightmare or something. I just said gently caress it and blew them all up because that's more fun.

Rip and tear.

Yeah, I realized the trick is simply to avoid bothering with the monsters and just pop the coolant tanks. Seems to despawn all but the biggest monsters.

Unrelated, I youngin' in the 90s, is the stuff metalheads listened to in the 90s? The screechiness of it reminds me more of dubstep.