Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Trade your top lane tower for winning the game via bot lane snowballing with a huge teleport play. That's the trade I always look to make with top lane teleporting when you want to put a close to the laning phase. It also tends to stall out the enemy top laner because unless they have an option to make a bigger play than you, they will just ineffectively push free CS up to your tier 2 for the rest of the mid-game while you can roam and look for action everywhere and then eventually sweep up the creeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
at lower elos it's very easy for the top laner to gank mid, either by straight up gank if their mid is pushing too hard, or by waiting in the side bush and counterganking when the jungler shows up if your mid is pushing harder. either way someone like riven can easily annihilate your standard lux/ahri/syndra/whatever dipshit if you approach from the right angle

the last time i was in bronze was season 2 and i got out by playing rumble every game and crushing lane so hard that either the jungler was forced to set up permanent camp in the top lane (which didn't matter, since rumble could 1v2 easily back then) or by walking mid every time my ult was off cooldown for extra kills

stump collector
May 28, 2007
at bronze you should try and work on your laning first before worrying about good teleport usage to help your doofus teammates out.

e: sometimes its hard to know if a TP is a good one unless you know specific cooldowns of the players you're trying to help/fight against. this is hard in solo queue, especially in low elo

stump collector fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 16, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

exethan posted:

at bronze you should try and work on your laning first before worrying about taking TP to help your doofus teammates out

Yeah when I was in low silver I just got a million kills every game. If you're playing Riven and you're better than your league you should be killing your opposite whenever they come to lane and then pushing hard and killing anyone who tries to stop you. TP plays win games but what also wins game is the enemy team giving up because Riven is 10/0 and can 1v3

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
riven and vlad suck right now, that probably doesn't help

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For another example of glorious Riot coding, the game stores error messages and warning messages in the Game - R3d Logs. If you've played Ascension this last weekend, you have some logs that are just 30MB of "000371.030| ERROR| Tried to get value on a stat (BOUNTY_LEVEL) that doesn't exist in this mode!" repeated thousands of times.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

LegalPad posted:

In an average game, what do your teleports look like? Is it mostly teleporting onto teamate's wards bot lane? Or do you often walk into your bot lane after backing and use your TP to get back to your lane?

It seems like every time I teleport onto a ward, the enemy still has enough vision to just walk to their tower, and then I'm left with a long walk home.

This isn't a precise answer, but it helped me think about the game. Imagine that instead of a 1 (you) + 4 v 5, it was a big ol' chess match with one person controlling all 5 players on their team. What does the team need to win? Also, what is the most annoying thing to the other team you can do right now? What thing will make them punch their keyboard like irritable babies? Do it.

The short list for annoying things top lane can do is probably:
-poo poo on your lane ever harder so they're never relevant again
-Gank/TP for the other lanes
-Steal the enemy jungle
-Ward
-Get dragon or Baron/Herald (with help)
-Push super hard and threaten towers and inhibs

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

BigLeafyTree posted:

What thing will make them punch their keyboard like irritable babies?

The short list for annoying things top lane can do is probably:

-Ward

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

LegalPad posted:

I know it's a tale as old as time, but I seriously feel stuck in bronze this season and I don't know what do. I usually top as either Garen, Vlad, or Riven, and I almost always do well in lane. I feel like winning the match is almost entirely out of my hands though, so I must be missing an important component of topping.

Last time I played ranked (a bit ago) I was solidly in gold, and then somehow I placed like Bronze 4 this season and I've been hovering bronze 1 - 2 for a while now. I keep getting these games where my bot lane gets absolutely creamed and then it's 55 minutes of hell. Then I look at the scores and I'm like 7/2/7 and I just want to kill myself. The only thing I can come up with is I don't know how to take advantage of a personal lead and translate it to helping out the team as a whole.

I know this is a broad question, but what is the 'duty' of a top lane? At what point do you guys clap the dust off your hands and go, "Well gently caress, at least I did my part"?

Garen is basically my favorite champion to play in League. I'm 15-1 on him in ranked this season between my plat-MMR main (http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-history/NA1/215629704?champion=86&matchType=2&map=1) and my gold-MMR smurf (http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-history/NA1/226941722?champion=86&matchType=2&map=1), which was in bronze just a couple of weeks ago, so I have pretty decent insight to offer here.

Garen has relatively mediocre TPs early, and your focus should be on winning your lane and snowballing the game through relentless sidelane pressure. If you look at the games on my smurf in particular, I'm vacuuming up all of the gold and experience in my sidelane, in the opponent's jungle, and in general I plan to never leave my lane unless necessary. I communicate this to my teammates and usually end up way ahead so they don't get down on me for ignoring them as much as possible. If he gets ahead, Garen can definitely 2v1 (it requires some knowledge of the champion to understand exactly when this is a good idea and when it isn't), and he can escape ganks quite well as well; constantly dragging the jungler into your lane (and killing him) provides basically as much utility to your team as TPing bot lane. If your botlane is way behind and you've already taken all of top's towers tell them to go play ARAM in mid while you clear out the rest of bottom.

Garen has essentially one trade, and that's (auto-) Q -> W -> E -> retreating into your minions and waiting for your cooldowns to come up. You should try to get this trade in almost any time that you see them use an offensive spell on a minion and all of your cooldowns are up. People will feed you kills at your elo, but flash -> Q -> E -> cancel E -> ult is your only real way to proactively kill people and you should understand exactly when you can do this.

You can look at my games for itemization, but sunfire -> T2 boots -> cleaver -> spirit visage is what I start with 90% of the time. The last 2 items can be some combination of Sterak's, Randuin's, Frozen Mallet, Thornmail, Dead Man's Plate, and Death's Dance. Most games I just optimize for more tankiness though, because Garen does tons of damage to begin with and it's pretty hilarious how much he can tank with 3 armor items and 400 health.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Not to just contradict what everyone's saying, but don't help your loving team in bronze, they're utter garbage. If you can't carry from top lane try jungle or mid or ADC and see if you can do it there, or change up your champions. Win lane harder, push into the enemy jungle and steal that poo poo, last hit better so you're always ahead of the schmuck you're facing. If you teleport bot lane, your bot lane will completely gently caress up the gank and you'll all die and they'll say
"?" "Why?" "I just want to farm" etc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

Down at garbage moron elo I would argue that like 75% of my lane kills come from some dude sticking around who is absolutely going to die if he sticks around, and probably 75% of the time he does in fact stick around.

This isn't an exaggeration. If you can weave in some harass while you're laning you can almost always get your opponent down to where you can all in them for free, then you get all of that farm and exp they're missing and it turns into a bloodbath. My new favorite champ for doing this is mid lane Pantheon.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So I haven't played on the PBE at all this cycle, can anyone tell me how Taliyah's E interacts with blinks (i.e. Shaco Q, Zed W) that don't have any actual "movement" associated with them and are rather just place swaps? Does nothing happen with them or do they detonate the ones they swap to/all of the rocks they would hit if they dashed in a straight line? I assume the former but if its either form of the latter holy moly thats the skill to max right there

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Blinks don't activate Her E but stuff like blitz grabs and her W, along with conventional dashes like Lucien E and LeBlanc W, will.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I got out of bronze by just playing the goo man Zac. Top or jungle work just fine.

Just get tanky and every teamfight becomes "Oh the enemy ADC is in the back behind the rest of their team? That's cute. I'm still gonna get my wet rear end right on top of them. :getin:"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flyingkiwi posted:

Not to just contradict what everyone's saying, but don't help your loving team in bronze, they're utter garbage.
if you're in bronze, you're utter garbage

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Endorph posted:

if you're in bronze, you're utter garbage

This is actually something I've started taking to heart tbh.

I'm trusting my team more now, because I've been in high bronze/low silver long enough to know I probably belong around there and the people I'm playing with aren't the Lissandra I played against two years ago that I managed to push all the way to her inhib pre-20-minutes. They're as good as I am and I have to respect my teammates and opponents more. I can't scoff at their bronzeness, I'm also bronze and have to deal with that.

Eventually I'll be able to CS enough to get out, but I still can't CS in the midgame and sometimes miss a cannon during laning, so I'm where I belong.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Another thing is that you should play a champion that can destroy turrets and push on their own because you're going to have to

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

flyingkiwi posted:

Not to just contradict what everyone's saying, but don't help your loving team in bronze, they're utter garbage. If you can't carry from top lane try jungle or mid or ADC and see if you can do it there, or change up your champions. Win lane harder, push into the enemy jungle and steal that poo poo, last hit better so you're always ahead of the schmuck you're facing. If you teleport bot lane, your bot lane will completely gently caress up the gank and you'll all die and they'll say
"?" "Why?" "I just want to farm" etc
That's great and all but Garen is maybe the one champ he's playing that can legitimately carry from top. Even then as a tanky sort of dude his ability to carry is going to be somewhat dependent on his allies ability to follow-up.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
The way I see it (if winning is your #1 concern) is to consider the effort-to-impact ratio between Vlad/Graves/Riven to champs like Malphite/Shen/Maokai in making plays around the map. You could try to gain an advantage in lane and try to snowball from there with the former champion pool; or you could just farm, wait for level 6 and TP/ult bot for the easiest high-impact play in the game with the latter. Might have to hound your teammates to set up a lane ward like someone mentioned earlier, but I never talk to my teammates and it seems to go just fine for me. Zac sounds like it would also work.

Once laning is over, it's easy to initiate fights with those guys too. Or peel for your carries.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If you win lane every game statistically you will win more than you lose

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

falconry posted:

The way I see it (if winning is your #1 concern) is to consider the effort-to-impact ratio between Vlad/Graves/Riven to champs like Malphite/Shen/Maokai in making plays around the map. You could try to gain an advantage in lane and try to snowball from there with the former champion pool; or you could just farm, wait for level 6 and TP/ult bot for the easiest high-impact play in the game with the latter. Might have to hound your teammates to set up a lane ward like someone mentioned earlier, but I never talk to my teammates and it seems to go just fine for me. Zac sounds like it would also work.

Once laning is over, it's easy to initiate fights with those guys too. Or peel for your carries.

Garen is absolute freelo in Bronze and can basically 1v5 an entire team with the gold you get from never leaving lane. In that 15-1 stretch I posted I've definitely had games where the opposing Malphite TPed bot and double killed my botlane. I proceeded to farm 3 full waves of minions, took his tower, and solo killed him when he came back to lane. And after that the game was basically over because I was 3 levels above anyone on the map.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still miss when Jax had passive dodge. RIP 3 second cooldown stuns off bads. Also when he got HP off AP and AD and could build Atmas for recursive gains.

On the brightside, Statik Arrowhead/Sheen/Revolver/Thunderscrubs Decree is legit. Ride the lightning.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

blah_blah posted:

Garen is absolute freelo in Bronze and can basically 1v5 an entire team with the gold you get from never leaving lane. In that 15-1 stretch I posted I've definitely had games where the opposing Malphite TPed bot and double killed my botlane. I proceeded to farm 3 full waves of minions, took his tower, and solo killed him when he came back to lane. And after that the game was basically over because I was 3 levels above anyone on the map.

I don't doubt you, I've been the Malphite in that scenario before. But I can't say I've used that strategy before, because I loving hate Garen and refuse to play him on principle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Garen is the Master Yi of bruisers; bad players refuse to play him because he Takes No Skill, while good players recognize his strength and how skill in Garen is not determined by memorized button combos, but through situational action.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yasuo support and top lane kindred. God bless bronze.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Garen is the Master Yi of bruisers; bad players refuse to play him because he Takes No Skill, while good players recognize his strength and how skill in Garen is not determined by memorized button combos, but through situational action.

Bad players love yi, he's one of the most popular low elo champs lol

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Faker plays Yi... makes you think.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
yi still gets banned in middle silver so

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

bonewitch posted:

yi still gets banned in middle silver so

because you play with baddies

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
buddy you're a bronze 3 teemo main

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

henkman posted:

Bad players love yi, he's one of the most popular low elo champs lol

Well yeah, bad players play everything. You're far more likely to see a bad cry about skill when losing to Yi/Garen than Lee Sin/Jayce, though.

Also he's like, 450 IP.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Junglers Master Yi is worse than in Plat+: the other 44 even somewhat popular jungle picks. Sub 43% win rate, the dream.

To be fair, it doesn't look like there's a good & popular build consensus for him this patch, but wow.

e: Anecdotal evidence: on my silver smurf I've been regularly outdueling/invading/etc. jungle Yi's pretty regularly as Devourer jungle Bard, he seems so weak right now.

VVVV It's true, Tanky Yi is bad now, and other ad junglers (i.e. people who can use BC) are good, this patch is not the time to yi.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 17, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they took out his best item and gave him an over-priced piece of crap and a shittier version of botrk to compensate

in this patch the best way to build him is probably jsut to go warriors and build like a bruiser but at that point you are literally just jungle olaf with better clears and a way worse ultimate

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Master Yi has always been a champion for total shitheads for as long as he has existed. Him being picked in a game essentially makes the game entirely about him, if he gets fed and snowballs you basically win unless he specifically throws the game trying to 1v3, which happens all the time. If he gets behind, you basically lose without recourse because having a melee ADC jungler who isn't fed is literally the most useless thing you can have on your team. I can't stand that son of a bitch champion.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can anyone with PBE access tell me if you can use Taliyah's pop up to knock Gromp over the wall into lane and reset the camp at level 1?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

this revisionist motherfucker thinks a single person is going to be convinced there was ever a point in time where yi players weren't a laughingstock

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AP yi was the best

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

bonewitch posted:

buddy you're a bronze 3 teemo main

Better than you

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

NTT posted:

If you win lane every game statistically you will win more than you lose

Measured aggression in and out of lane are different skillsets, some people live to throw v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
shyvana is actually better with the new jungle item because it makes you destroy dragon solo insanely quickly and starve the enemy jungler to a disgusting extent

• Locked thread