Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

echopapa posted:

CNMI bar numbers are still in three-digit territory.

I got one in the mid 300's, and I have a 4-digiter here. My Wisconsin one is 7 digits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My Minnesota bar number is much, much higher than my California bar number which makes no sense. Like 100,000 more.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I have one the first five digit bar numbers. Old timer guards at the jail don't believe that I'm an attorney when I call because lawyers have four digit numbers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have one the first five digit bar numbers. Old timer guards at the jail don't believe that I'm an attorney when I call because lawyers have four digit numbers.

Tell them you're just a public defender.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

My Minnesota bar number is much, much higher than my California bar number which makes no sense. Like 100,000 more.

Georgia is 6 digit, Louisiana is 5.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Alaska's bar number is yy and mm of admission then where you are alphabetically for that test. So 1507xxx and 1511xxx are the two '15 batches, for instance.

This is important because it makes it easy to figure out who failed the bar and how many times. I recently saw a 2013 grad with a 1511 bar number and judged him harshly for it.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 12, 2016

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

In my second or third week of law school, the torts professor cold called a girl, and someone was like "she dropped out to go back to teaching".

We all had a hearty chuckle but in the end she was the wisest of us all...

Although someone I went to law school with is now a city councilor so I guess you can make it work for you if you try

He does share a name with a famous bridge in Boston though so maybe he's connected I don't know he seemed nice but I never really talked to the guy

Yeah, that bridge is named after his dad. I don't think it was the NU degree that did it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ewr2870 posted:

Yeah, that bridge is named after his dad. I don't think it was the NU degree that did it.

Your dad has a bridge named after him and the best school you can get into is northeastern? A shameful nepotist

I'm not jealous

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

Alaska's bar number is yy and mm of admission then where you are alphabetically for that test. So 1507xxx and 1511xxx are the two '15 batches, for instance.

This is important because it makes it easy to figure out who failed the bar and how many times. I recently saw a 2013 grad with a 1511 bar number and judged him harshly for it.

thats awesome

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

blarzgh posted:

thats awesome

So brutal

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Friend of mine failed 3 times, passed on the 4th. Perfectly competent government lawyer now. There's hope everyone (but not for toona).

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Friend of mine failed 3 times, passed on the 4th. Perfectly competent government lawyer now. There's hope everyone (but not for toona).

Saw a quote somewhere online a while back, very fitting

quote:

Poor grades through high school. Poor grades in undergrad. Poor grades in my masters program. Poor grades in law school. But you know what they call the person who passed the bar with the lowest score? An attorney.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

bar exam doesn't really test your ability to be a lawyer, it just tests your ability to take the bar exam

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

calvus posted:

Saw a quote somewhere online a while back, very fitting

that quote is only true about doctors

you call that guy a barista

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

No, you call that guy "Your Honor."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The joke was always "The A students become law professors, the B students become judges, and the C students become millionaires."

But lawyer jokes are always wrong.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is becoming a judge very easy

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
Depends on where you live and who you know. But if you're a well off kid from a small county you return to with a law degree, yeah.
It isn't much different in bog places, you just gotta be richer/know more people.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The joke was always "The A students become law professors, the B students become judges, and the C students become millionaires."

But lawyer jokes are always wrong.

Law professors also become millionaires.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

^^^^^^
Depends on where you live and who you know. But if you're a well off kid from a small county you return to with a law degree, yeah.
It isn't much different in bog places, you just gotta be richer/know more people.

Law professors also become millionaires.

At my school at least 2 professors are paid more than the Dean.

One of which some people may know on here. The school needs him far more than he needs us. Hovenkamp

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm rich in friendship.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm rich in spirit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Louisiana put a cap on bar exam taking, fail 5 times and you are permanently barred from being barred.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Cajuns are rich in cayenne pepper.

Edit: Also, alligator isn't that great.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nah blackened alligator is pretty good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

I'm rich in spirit.

I'm rich in spirits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm rich in spices.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm rich in cholesterol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 13, 2021

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Louisiana put a cap on bar exam taking, fail 5 times and you are permanently barred from being barred.

It would be interesting to see the stats on how many people are barred just from that

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

calvus posted:

It would be interesting to see the stats on how many people are barred just from that

It can't be that many people, but you could probably figure it out by assuming people reuse the same fictitious name each time.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What'd blarzgh do this time?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

calvus posted:

Just find a list of Southern grads and you have 75% of them

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just find a list of Southern grads and you have 75% of them

Southern Poverty Law School?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What'd blarzgh do this time?

probably too funny for gbs

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They actually suspended that limit for a couple years, apparently. People worrying about pass rates dropping.

Edit: Oh hey they are reinstating it this year.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I assume Louisiana doesn't have any bad lawyers anymore (at least no young ones)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
On Friday In Dallas, a well known lawyer (and cousin to a sitting District Judge) was killed by being doused in liquid and set on fire in his own garage. Then another District Judge was warned to take precautions and flashed a gun on Sunday at a motorist he thought was following him.

Dallas gonna Dallas.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Roger_Mudd posted:

On Friday In Dallas, a well known lawyer (and cousin to a sitting District Judge) was killed by being doused in liquid and set on fire in his own garage.

Jesus christ.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Roger_Mudd posted:

On Friday In Dallas, a well known lawyer (and cousin to a sitting District Judge) was killed by being doused in liquid and set on fire in his own garage. Then another District Judge was warned to take precautions and flashed a gun on Sunday at a motorist he thought was following him.

Dallas gonna Dallas.

Was he killed because he was a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That's the rumor.