Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm just pointing out that emotional trauma is emotional trauma and everyone is hosed up because of it

No poo poo. I'm still recovering from your early post history. See what I did there? :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only winner is those who dont play

Welp. CT nails it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I like to sit back and watch the turds fly with some of my coworkers. One guy went from "The prison system is bad and is keeping poor people poor" to "No way am I letting trannies in my bathroom" within 5 minutes.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
As long as we can all agree that boomers ruined the world, we're cool.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We can all agree on that because it's objectively True.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Its a drat shame too. I really would've liked the chance to ruin the world. Guess I'll just have to try and make it better for someone else to ruin.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Recently a very old lady at my church told me that millennials give her hope because they actually care, and that she firmly believes that we will solve global warming, health insurance, and most social injustices in our lifetime

She's a sweet old lady :3:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Was kind of 'meh' until he kicked the chair out from under her, which got a hearty out loud laugh from me, which probably means I'm a terrible person and possibly explains why I'm still single.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Ageism replaces racism and homophobjism. And society marches on.

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50. And also there a bunch of poo poo like how you are falling apart and getting fat / losing it - that not the case at all, while I know I'm well and above the average 47 year old fitness-wise, we're perfectly capable mentally and physically to work, sometimes moreso than someone younger.

People literally get scrapheaped just due to a number of birthdays and it is highly likely to happen to most of us at soem point. I suspect as automation becomes more the norm, it'll hurt the older workers the most, because we tend to be better paid. If it came down to the 30+ year expecience Sysadmin or the graduate who is costing half - the older worker is goooooooooone. Doesnt matter if the experience cant be replaced, get the young kid in - he's not married, he'll be forced to work outragoues hours and he wont talk back and say they have kids they need to look after. It's not like 40 years ago you got to 65, you got the watch and told to gently caress off because you had about 5 years left to rot -we're now living soooo far past 65 that we have 20-30 odd years left, we are fit and healthy and can still work drat well. And to top it off, the GFC pretty much detonated a lot of retirement funds, houses are stupidly expensive, healthcare is rising on price at stupid rates, child care is too - being able to retire at 65 is just not an option becaus there is no money to retire with. I worked out that I could retire at 75 at my present rate, but how the gently caress am I going to keep a job for that long??? IT is very ageist, if I have to look for another job for *reasons* I'm simply done in this industry. Let alone if I do stay in till I'm 50, whats the chances I'll be replaced with someone a lot cheaper?

My parter's father was made redundant at 50 and never worked again. Another person I know got scrapheaped at 52 and can not get another job desipte his great work history - he's now driving buses for a third of what he used to earn. A lot of people say they could fall back on *insert job here* but automation and robotics are starting to cut the market to pieces. You aint going to go flip burgers in desperation, that low paid immigrant who Big Corp is illegally underpaying will be cleaning the shitter even if you want to do that, and the welfare safetynet is being cut from under you by the last Baby Boomers in power - who however will make sure they have plenty to retire on and grandfathered healthcare.

Gen X are just waking up to the fact we're now reaching the point where we know just how much we are being hosed over by the Boomera AND we see how our kids are being doubly hosed - even as we're on th threshold of boardrooms and the top line politicial postions so we might be able to fix it, our option are just gone. Raise taxes to fund healthcare? Politican poison. Want to keep older workers? Those retired shareholders want a bigger dividend and more profits, gently caress off. Climate change? HAHAHAHA yeah right, we've been left with a hell of a mess there and those old bastards who wont be around to see the results are still fighting the fixes.

Sorry if that sounds depressing but right now I dont see any upside. Ageism will get us all I fear and it's going to be a long misreble time once it does get us.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry about the above. Just not feeling too good about the future of IT right now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

ok, but: *waves vaguely at my 4 month meltdown in the chat threads*

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Live fast die young

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

Was kind of 'meh' until he kicked the chair out from under her, which got a hearty out loud laugh from me, which probably means I'm a terrible person and possibly explains why I'm still single.

Physical comedy is still best comedy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tusen Takk posted:

Hate to break it to you, but girls in their early 20's are stupid and will date/marry literally anyone. Say this poo poo again to us when you're 36, fat, divorced and cranky. All the hot girls then are either re-married or way out of your league and know it. Or completely dysfunctional and piss you off by the third date. By this time you'll settle for sane over hot any day. Like the saying goes: No matter how pretty the girl is, someone somewhere is sick of her poo poo.

On the other hand, I saw a pretty 40 something mom at a restaurant last week who joked around with me while we waited for our take out orders, then went out of her way to wish me a great night as I left, and I can't stop thinking about her. I hate my own drive to sabotage my single happiness!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50.

I'm starting to wonder about that myself. I'm 45 with 27 years experience. 8 months without a job now. The best interview I had so far was met a week later with "we decided not to hire a senior engineer but train a junior one instead".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50. And also there a bunch of poo poo like how you are falling apart and getting fat / losing it - that not the case at all, while I know I'm well and above the average 47 year old fitness-wise, we're perfectly capable mentally and physically to work, sometimes moreso than someone younger.

People literally get scrapheaped just due to a number of birthdays and it is highly likely to happen to most of us at soem point. I suspect as automation becomes more the norm, it'll hurt the older workers the most, because we tend to be better paid. If it came down to the 30+ year expecience Sysadmin or the graduate who is costing half - the older worker is goooooooooone. Doesnt matter if the experience cant be replaced, get the young kid in - he's not married, he'll be forced to work outragoues hours and he wont talk back and say they have kids they need to look after. It's not like 40 years ago you got to 65, you got the watch and told to gently caress off because you had about 5 years left to rot -we're now living soooo far past 65 that we have 20-30 odd years left, we are fit and healthy and can still work drat well. And to top it off, the GFC pretty much detonated a lot of retirement funds, houses are stupidly expensive, healthcare is rising on price at stupid rates, child care is too - being able to retire at 65 is just not an option becaus there is no money to retire with. I worked out that I could retire at 75 at my present rate, but how the gently caress am I going to keep a job for that long??? IT is very ageist, if I have to look for another job for *reasons* I'm simply done in this industry. Let alone if I do stay in till I'm 50, whats the chances I'll be replaced with someone a lot cheaper?

My parter's father was made redundant at 50 and never worked again. Another person I know got scrapheaped at 52 and can not get another job desipte his great work history - he's now driving buses for a third of what he used to earn. A lot of people say they could fall back on *insert job here* but automation and robotics are starting to cut the market to pieces. You aint going to go flip burgers in desperation, that low paid immigrant who Big Corp is illegally underpaying will be cleaning the shitter even if you want to do that, and the welfare safetynet is being cut from under you by the last Baby Boomers in power - who however will make sure they have plenty to retire on and grandfathered healthcare.

Gen X are just waking up to the fact we're now reaching the point where we know just how much we are being hosed over by the Boomera AND we see how our kids are being doubly hosed - even as we're on th threshold of boardrooms and the top line politicial postions so we might be able to fix it, our option are just gone. Raise taxes to fund healthcare? Politican poison. Want to keep older workers? Those retired shareholders want a bigger dividend and more profits, gently caress off. Climate change? HAHAHAHA yeah right, we've been left with a hell of a mess there and those old bastards who wont be around to see the results are still fighting the fixes.

Sorry if that sounds depressing but right now I dont see any upside. Ageism will get us all I fear and it's going to be a long misreble time once it does get us.

Is it ageist to want to throw a good number of boomers into a well?

Can we at least force them to retire and maybe send them off on an ice flow?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Hate to break it to you, but girls in their early 20's are stupid and will date/marry literally anyone. Say this poo poo again to us when you're 36, fat, divorced and cranky. All the hot girls then are either re-married or way out of your league and know it. Or completely dysfunctional and piss you off by the third date. By this time you'll settle for sane over hot any day. Like the saying goes: No matter how pretty the girl is, someone somewhere is sick of her poo poo.

HAHAHAHAHA oh my. I'm only laughing because that's EXACTLY what happened to me. I got fit as hell afterwards tho and she got.... umm.... basically went the other direction.

Age is a bit of a leveller tho. If you are 50ish, women who are single near that age arent as fussy if you look decent.

quote:

I'm starting to wonder about that myself. I'm 45 with 27 years experience. 8 months without a job now. The best interview I had so far was met a week later with "we decided not to hire a senior engineer but train a junior one instead".

Yeah, almost certainly an ageism victim. I sincerely wish you good luck that can find something.

Is there a place that hires older workers I wonder? Can we start one?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Is it ageist to want to throw a good number of boomers into a well?

Can we at least force them to retire and maybe send them off on an ice flow?

a) Only if they have been actively voting / working to gently caress everyone over and denying the poo poo they had as a leg up to the generations coming.

b) Too late for ice flows, their policies melted them.

Boomers are retiring at least. Gen X have got a fuckload of mess to try to begin to clean up and I suspect a lot of us are just going to give up as the job is too big and too overwhelming.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ice floe. Get your wishful thinking / murder fantasies right :allears:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Ice floe. Get your wishful thinking / murder fantasies right :allears:

They all melted too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...just like my dreams.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What's with these kids with bikes with giant tires? This 10 year old just rode past us with tires that had a sidewall bigger than my car's.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fatbikes are on trend in the bike world, the bike industry needs to throw out new ideas every few years or so or just recycle old ones and charge more money for them. Right now they're pushing different wheel sizes so instead of the old standard 26" wheels we now have 27.5" wheels and 29" ones. And of course those wheels require new frame designs and new forks to be made to fit properly. Also they're pushing single chainrings again with a larger gear spread on the wheel. Oh and oval chainrings because Shimano Biopace from the 90s was long enough ago that people have forgotten how shite it was.

Fatbikes were brought up to solve the problem of 'how do I ride across sand and snow?' that only about 50 people a year actually experience but they've been pushed so hard that they're now being made in cheapo versions, all weighing an absolute loving ton with tyres that cost more than the ones fitted to your car do.

On the bright side, all of this bullshit means 2nd hand bikes and parts are loads cheaper for those of us who don't like fads.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fatbikes look great fun but I can't imagine actually buying one with real money on purpose.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Fat bikes. Seeing more of them up here too. The sidewall means you don't really need even a track and I see a bunch of people riding them in the winter.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So my question is if you've just realised how hosed you are as a Gen Y, which end do you hold and which end do you lick?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ferremit posted:

So my question is if you've just realised how hosed you are as a Gen Y, which end do you hold and which end do you lick?

Neither, clearly the best idea is to put it up your anus and let is shred your insides whilst supplying current to your poop chute.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Your outlets look sleepy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Adiabatic posted:

Your outlets look sleepy

I thought they looked rather horrified at the electrical abortion that had been plugged into them...

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is there a place that hires older workers I wonder? Can we start one?

If I pretend to be an older worker can I also get a job at your new company? Thanks in advance.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
29ers are fuckin' fun as poo poo to ride around downtown. Like I'm cool with popping up curbs on my normal roadbike, but I know it's murder on the wheelset. 29ers do not give a gently caress.

Just make sure you can lockout the front suspension though because it will zap all of your power if you're trying to actually put the power down.

Now I want a 29er. gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

a mobile dev company that I was super excited about applying to contacted me for a 30 minute conference call with a couple of their programmers to ask questions then give me a problem that I write some code for and email to them

I'm nervous as gently caress about it, especially after blowing it on that online technical skills quiz that I took last week and I want to study up on iOS/android fundamentals.

i really want to get a mobile dev job because it'll never be boring computer janitoring and its in a great part of town near where I'm moving to, so this would be an amazing opportunity as long as my stupid lizard brain doesn't gently caress me over again

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

a mobile dev company that I was super excited about applying to contacted me for a 30 minute conference call with a couple of their programmers to ask questions then give me a problem that I write some code for and email to them

I'm nervous as gently caress about it, especially after blowing it on that online technical skills quiz that I took last week and I want to study up on iOS/android fundamentals.

i really want to get a mobile dev job because it'll never be boring computer janitoring and its in a great part of town near where I'm moving to, so this would be an amazing opportunity as long as my stupid lizard brain doesn't gently caress me over again
Have some mobile dev buddies make a practice quiz for you. The people who are interviewing you have likely been in your position before and know that people who know their stuff sometimes don't test well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agree with this and I honestly feel lucky that I have a baby face for this reason. I work in security too and it's normal to have old dudes in the industry, especially when experience usually wins out over anything else. Other industries not so much.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

Have some mobile dev buddies make a practice quiz for you. The people who are interviewing you have likely been in your position before and know that people who know their stuff sometimes don't test well.

Good idea! They're a startup so there wasn't much on Glassdoor but someone did leave an interview review with the questions they asked, so I definitely need to practice those and questions like it since I'm usually not very great at stuff like "given an array of integers, come up with a new array whose sum is greater than PI" or other questions that are designed to make you think hard even if you wouldn't ever need to do that irl

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

This is why I transitioned from tech to manager. Being in IT in this area, typically tech's are late teens - early 40's. In their late 30's if tech's don't start making the transition to management/c-level positions then they usually end up going into different industries halfway through their work lifespan. I really like what I do and every day is like going in and hanging out with my friends towards a common goal. I imagine there are other industries like that too, this one just happened to be my hobby growing up turned into my profession.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

How do you all decide whether or not major work is worth doing on a car?

My car (2001 Saab 9-5, ~180k miles) has needed a new timing chain since before I bought it, and up until this point I've pretty much just been ignoring it, but if I'm actually going to do something about it, it should probably be in the next couple months or so. Its a remove the engine job*, so along with that I'd probably do the oil pump (probably reconditioning rather than replacement), water pump, crankshaft seals, and maybe a few other things while its out.

However, I'm a fairly inexperienced home mechanic so removing an engine is a very daunting thing to me. Ideally I'd convince my dad and uncle to help me (and let me use their space and equipment), but they have their own lives and I wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much.

The car is in pretty decent shape for its age and mileage, with some body rust around the rear wheel arches, but frame rust is very minimal for a car that's spent most of its life in Minnesota. I think the car has many more years of life in it if this operation is done.

If I decide to go ahead and do it, would 8 days be a reasonable amount of time to budget for the operation for a first time engine puller? I'm thinking 2 for removal, 2 for the projects, 2 for refitting, and 2 as a buffer in case things go awry.

Total parts cost would be between $300-$400, for the timing and balance kit, water pump kit, and oil pump kit (if that's even needed).

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not, in your opinion, $400 and a week of time is worth spending on a 15 year old car made by a dead company with nearly 200,000 miles.

e: I'd also want to buy new hardware and gaskets for the intake/exhaust manifolds, coming to between $30-$40. I'm sure there's other parts too.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

literally me irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP