Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

McTinkerson posted:

Doesn't Canada still intercept Russian military aircraft in our airspace up north once a month?

No, they don't intercept Russians once a month.

It's more like every three or four days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MrChips posted:

No, they don't intercept Russians once a month.

It's more like every three or four days.

Are all of these instances publicly disclosed somewhere online?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

Are all of these instances publicly disclosed somewhere online?

Generally not - they're so frequent that they only get disclosed if something unusual happens, like if there are multiple aircraft or if, say, a Blackjack makes the trip instead of the usual Bear or Mainstay, or if it is politically expedient to do so.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dear AB:AI,

I have a problem. At least that's what everyone else calls it.

I just traded my bike (which I have been trying to sell for the past year) for a 1985 RX-7. My plan is to flip it. Can I interest anyone in a properly sorted FB?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HOLY gently caress A FLOOR

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

That looks incredible! It's so shiny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hell. Yes.

no lube pit?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Hell. Yes.

no lube pit?

Nah, that's what four post lifts are for. :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slung Blade posted:

loving nice man. Awesome. Jealous as hell.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo man.

I'm starting to come round to the rural lifestyle. I'd kill for a workshop like that.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Slung Blade posted:

Jealous, so very jealous...

AB:AI meet?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

GrantC posted:

Only if we're not the slave labour epoxying that Olympic skating rink. (Just kidding, I would totally assist in that.)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm doing my first kart race this sunday, so any ABAI goons in the Calgary/Strathmore area are free to swing by the track and watch me make a fool of myself. PM me for directions.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm doing my first kart race this sunday, so any ABAI goons in the Calgary/Strathmore area are free to swing by the track and watch me make a fool of myself. PM me for directions.

I'm sorry that we're not going to be able to make it 1500. I wish we could.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Don't worry about it man, there's like a 14 races this year and I've pretty much got an open door policy if anybody wants to swing by if I'm racing.

edit: also I'm considering dropping a few races cause holy poo poo at some point I want the RX7 to have an engine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

GrantC posted:

I shall be doing a 'garage-warming' party of sorts once it's built for sure.

McTinkerson posted:

Only if we're not the slave labour epoxying that Olympic skating rink. (Just kidding, I would totally assist in that.)

They coated it with that cement epoxy sealer stuff, I think that's pretty much all I need. The wet look is from the sealer, floor was 8-9 hours old by the time I took the picture.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So much room for activities!

Speaking of which, you boys wanna help me dig a hole?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dump it in Fort Mac.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dealing with greedy American auction buyers, one mat at a time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got access to an old woodchipper.

Or is it a wood splitter?

:shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Figured i got her tied up in the trunk so i might as well use her. You'll be happy to know an f-150 bumper just barely fits in a dodge journey, an when wrapped in a blanket looks a lot like a dead body.

It was listed at 4 hours bodywork for "road rash", this is after cleaning it up. When you have to paint it anyways, paint condition doesn't matter, the metal itself is fuckin mint.

it was cheaper to rent a car and drive to saskatoon to buy this bumper than it was to source one locally, so that's what we did. got to saskatoon around midnight and back to red deer by 6am.

Let me say this, if you guys ever plan on doing a road rally going east through saskatchwan, fuckin don't. In the entire trip from saskatoon back to around three hills, i saw about 4 vehicles on the road and roughly 18,000 deer.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

I think I got my money's worth on the factory brake pads. 187000kms. Rotors were still well over min thickness.

Had to stop part way though. Stupid little spring piece that the caliper bolts to was seized on one bracket and I couldn't get the caliper on with new pads. So I ended up putting one old pad back it and it sits in the driveway for a few days.

No big deal, it was beer time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Anyone want to buy $3500 USD worth of FB RX-7 suspension & exhaust parts? These go fast bits coincidentally come with two free RX-7's. One of them even has a drive train that is basically brand new.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Anyone want to buy $3500 USD worth of FB RX-7 suspension & exhaust parts? These go fast bits coincidentally come with two free RX-7's. One of them even has a drive train that is basically brand new.

In my professional opinion, you should cut the cab of one of the RX-7s out, and weld the other RX-7 into the middle of it. build a dual rotary shamrockaway, a shamrxaway if you will.

e: Here's what it could look like IF you put about $15,000 into it, maybe overnight parts from japan http://i.imgur.com/1gUwi4n.png

slungblade. Are you going to have some heavy 3 phase going into your shop? a 3 phase heavy welder will set you back about $400, and at every auction i go to there are always 3 phase iron workers and bridgeports and 10 foot long lathes that go for nothing because they weigh 5000lbs and are 3 phase. You could set up a dream machine shop with 50 year old bridgeports and cast iron lathes.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 16, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

slungblade. Are you going to have some heavy 3 phase going into your shop? a 3 phase heavy welder will set you back about $400, and at every auction i go to there are always 3 phase iron workers and bridgeports and 10 foot long lathes that go for nothing because they weigh 5000lbs and are 3 phase. You could set up a dream machine shop with 50 year old bridgeports and cast iron lathes.

Wish I could, there's only a single line coming into my town, so I can't get anything higher than 220. I mean I guess I could get a VFD/phase converter or something though.

Today I joined 1500quid at the Strathmore karting track. loving phenomenal facility and a great atmosphere.

The little tykes were having a good time.

The track itself is gigantic.

1500's ride.

Entering the track.

Bad distance shot.

Charging up the main hill after the rear end-kicking hairpin bitch of a turn that claimed the aspirations of many.

Pits. There are some pretty serious teams who show up for this, full on race trailers and mobile workshops. I love it.

I was acting as pseudo pit crew, trying to help where possible. We tensioned the chain and adjusted a couple things here and there, but the transponder fell off after corner #3. Fortunately that was close enough to the stands that I saw it come flying off (I had no idea what it was at the time) and saw roughly where it landed. We managed to pick it out of the grass during a short break in the action.

The zipties available were too big for the hole, so I improvised and reamed them out a little bit with some torx bits. Good enough to race on.

The marshals and volunteers are cool. They use a little golf cart as a recovery/tow vehicle :lol: (please note this is not 1500, he finished all his races just fine)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some say his droppings have been found as far north as edmonton and he has a full size tattoo of his face, on his face.

All we know is he's called 1500quid.

Shame 3 phase is out. You can probably get a 20 horse phase converter pretty cheap, but that cuts into the savings on the old machines.

At the last CPA, there was an old school computerized CNC/milling machine, i can't imagine it went for more than scrap.

You could even save your projects to tape!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 16, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

And so it begins...

https://greatbeaterchallenge.wordpress.com/

I know of a $500 FB....(It's the one I just picked up with all of it's upgrades removed)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

And so it begins...

I know of a $500 FB....(It's the one I just picked up with all of it's upgrades removed)

Brb, searching kijiji for a 1940s Soviet road hauler.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder if this guy could be talked down to $700

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1952-buick-special/1165055929?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

How many points would a straight 8 buick with a 3 on the tree get you?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

And so it begins...

Haha, awesome! It's like they copied a bunch of our rules, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

And so it begins...

Do you know these guys?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Do you know these guys?

Not to my knowledge. I know SSW posted the rally in the WSC forums, might be some guys from there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Their page references the Lethbridge Sports Car Club and some googling turned up some info and a facebook page (which I can't read because gently caress facebook).

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

I wonder if this guy could be talked down to $700

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1952-buick-special/1165055929?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

How many points would a straight 8 buick with a 3 on the tree get you?

As your attorney I advise you to try. I saw a really nice, similar looking Packard today, with an old school Georgia plate on it. That era of cars have great style all to themselves.

The parts stores I called here didn't carry the caliper brackets. I wasn't about to take the gf's Jetta out scrapyard diving and a Dodge dealer had one in stock. I also did the rotors since I was going to be working on it again. Still over min, but w/e. I won't have to do it again for quite a while, maybe even for the rest of the time I own the truck.

This bitch was the cause of it all.

That piece with the little boot on it should move in and out. That's what the caliper mounts to.

It's all marked up from a failed pipe wrench attempt to turn it. That was the ''gently caress it, it's getting replaced time for beer" moment. I kinda want to see if I can soak it in ATF and see if I can free it, for curiosity's sake.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's just your caliper slide pin. Heat is usually required because of the baked up grease inside there.. The ones that came out of my superduty were fuckin grody. This is what they looked like AFTER cleaning them.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
:stare:

Jesus. I think I made the right choice. It's odd how the other 7 move well enough, and this one was bulls rear end in fly time tight. Was that salvageable afterwards?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Old Balls McGee posted:

:stare:

Jesus. I think I made the right choice. It's odd how the other 7 move well enough, and this one was bulls rear end in fly time tight. Was that salvageable afterwards?

The slide pins, no. they're much softer than the caliper bracket for that reason. just tossed em, got new slide pins for $15, cleaned out the caliper brackets and put it all back together.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I'll have to give it a go with a torch then, might save some time/aggravation if I do it all again. Thanks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what are the upper hp limits of ford/chevy big blocks that you'd typically find at a junkyard or via kijiji ?

I have a few different c10's lined up, and then it's motor/trans shopping.

I'm just thinking about which is more fun, BB ford/chev motor with aluminum top end, and twin ebay turbos, or an LS with the same mods.

Also what are those turbos called where the hot side impeller has twin inlets like a spiral ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Twin Scroll.

You'd better make a thread when you get your C10.