Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

poop dood posted:

Made up something tasty during a slow Sunday lunch shift today.

1.5oz Bunnahabhain scotch
1oz French syrah
0.5oz Benedictine
3 dashes black walnut bitters

Stir, strain, big ice cube, orange peel. I don't know what the hell possessed me to combine scotch and syrah but by God, it works. Benedictine for sweetness and richness, black walnut bitters for a little earth and complexity. Now to name it and try to get it on our next cocktail list.

Auld Alliance or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sounds tasty, but do you sell many ~$18 cocktails? Isn't the pour cost on that really high?

drat yeah that's an $80 bottle around here. I definitely want to taste it though

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I think I'm going to run with a bowl of Ale Punch for the weekend's chicken cookout:

http://www.classicmixology.com/punches/ale_punch/1862

Have two cups of sugar on the counter doing their thing in one cup of water with two teaspoons of orange blossom water as I type. Just need to pick an ale as I'm eyeing the bottle of Protocolo in the rack for the wine.

A friend and I both have non-beer-drinking wives and this could be a fun way to get them to sip some barley.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sounds tasty, but do you sell many ~$18 cocktails? Isn't the pour cost on that really high?

We only charge like $12 for Bunnahabhain. It's about that much in the couple other places I've seen it. Weird that it's so pricey wherever you are. My intent was just a mellow, smooth scotch, so you could easily sub in Oban or an Isle of Jura scotch or something.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You're probably losing a lot of money on it then. Entry level Bunnahabhain is like $42 a bottle, so you're probably running a pour cost of near 30%.

It's an expensive drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Weird! Our bar manager missed his calling as a gimmick-cocktail beach bartender, so it doesn't really surprise me that that went unnoticed. Guess I'll pick a different scotch for my cocktail.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
poo poo, if they don't care about their bottom line, why should you? Like I said, sounds tasty.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fair point. I'll pitch it at the next cocktail meeting and see if he's mad about me using Bunnahabhain or not. And for the sake of content, here's another tasty one I made up while drunk at home recently.

2oz bourbon (I used Heaven Hill because it's what I drink at home)
1.5oz Bonal
1.5oz homemade cold brew coffee
Stir, strain, over rocks if you want I don't care, orange peel. It's loosely based on a Boulevardier, modified for the bottle of Campari that I don't have, the bottle of Bonal that I do have, and the cold brew coffee that I've been making. It's smooth and surprisingly light, and perfectly splits the uprights of "rich coffee flavor" and "light and refreshing". Bonal and coffee love each other; I recommend playing with those two ingredients. In this one I'm sure a good rye would be fantastic instead of bourbon, I just don't happen to have any at home right now.

You guys make up anything cool lately? I feel like I barge into this thread and holler about how good the things I make up are pretty frequently.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 18, 2016

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Thinking about melon shrubs. Trying to use up some of the Korean yellow melons that are coming in. They're like a flavor mix of cucumber/cantaloupe/honeysuckle. Any suggestions for a secondary pairing? Might just go straight with apple cider or rice vinegar. My hefeweizen and Pilsner vinegars won't be ready yet.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

poop dood posted:

Fair point. I'll pitch it at the next cocktail meeting and see if he's mad about me using Bunnahabhain or not. And for the sake of content, here's another tasty one I made up while drunk at home recently.

2oz bourbon (I used Heaven Hill because it's what I drink at home)
1.5oz Bonal
1.5oz homemade cold brew coffee
Stir, strain, over rocks if you want I don't care, orange peel. It's loosely based on a Boulevardier, modified for the bottle of Campari that I don't have, the bottle of Bonal that I do have, and the cold brew coffee that I've been making. It's smooth and surprisingly light, and perfectly splits the uprights of "rich coffee flavor" and "light and refreshing". Bonal and coffee love each other; I recommend playing with those two ingredients. In this one I'm sure a good rye would be fantastic instead of bourbon, I just don't happen to have any at home right now.

You guys make up anything cool lately? I feel like I barge into this thread and holler about how good the things I make up are pretty frequently.

I've been drinking that cold brew coffee boulevardier ever since someone posted it earlier int he thread. It is my go-to drink at home now. It really is that good.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

uncle spero posted:

I've been drinking that cold brew coffee boulevardier ever since someone posted it earlier int he thread. It is my go-to drink at home now. It really is that good.

That was me, I'm pretty sure! It's a fantastic cocktail, I'm glad you're digging it.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

It's time to finalize a summer cocktail menu, and i really want this chamomile honey syrup to work.

I've only tried a basic whiskey sour, where the lemon juice overpowered the chamomile. So i scaled back the lemon and did

1.5oz Bourbon
1oz chamomile honey syrup
.5oz lemon
2-3 dashes cardamom bitters

Shake, double strain, served up with expressed lemon peel and garnish.

I'm not crazy about it, but it works.

I was thinking about what else to pair the chamomile honey syrup with, but outside of a gin old fashioned, everything seems like it would overpower it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Chamomile and scotch is a great combo- the Cointreau chamomile liqueur is great.

I have a chamomile-infused Singani 63 drink that's super popular.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You could make a French 75 riff with it maybe? Pick your gin wisely, don't use anything super aromatic. That could be pretty excellent if you play it right.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

poop dood posted:

You could make a French 75 riff with it maybe? Pick your gin wisely, don't use anything super aromatic. That could be pretty excellent if you play it right.

Was thinking Plymouth. Might mess with that tomorrow.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
A woman from Serious Eats came out with a technique that's essentially a "dry caramel." Not sure how novel it really is but it is interesting.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/dry-toasted-sugar-granulated-caramel-recipe.html

Could it have cocktail applications? Maybe you could use it on an oleo-saccharum.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
The bar at the hotel I'm staying at in Singapore has a drink made with durian ice cream and I'm not sure if I'll ever get drunk enough to order it.

dphi fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 20, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get out of your comfort zone you wimp

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Like, I'm willing to try it, I'm just not sure I wanna drop 15 bucks on it. But I probably will anyway.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I love chamomile but the flavor is so delicate you're really limited in what you can mix it with. I put a French 75 riff on our brunch list that is Chamomile syrup, dash st. Germaine, lemon, and bubbly. It's good but god drat is it frustrating to try and get creative with.

I was experimenting with reducing chamomile tea in order to get a more intense flavor, but really it just enhances the color (not a bad thing per-se).

Going to be putting a mezcal/st. Elizabeths/pear liquer mix into my barrel this weekend. Might do apricot or peach to keep with the summer season but the pear just sounds more appealing with the mezcal.

Also going to me making a green tea syrup/scotch based drink today I think, and was considering throwing some herbs in there to keep with spring. Not really sure what to go with though. Mint? Rosemary? Thyme?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
Fart Car, you bartend in DC right? Care to share a list of your fav cocktail bars?

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I love chamomile but the flavor is so delicate you're really limited in what you can mix it with. I put a French 75 riff on our brunch list that is Chamomile syrup, dash st. Germaine, lemon, and bubbly. It's good but god drat is it frustrating to try and get creative with.

I was experimenting with reducing chamomile tea in order to get a more intense flavor, but really it just enhances the color (not a bad thing per-se).

Going to be putting a mezcal/st. Elizabeths/pear liquer mix into my barrel this weekend. Might do apricot or peach to keep with the summer season but the pear just sounds more appealing with the mezcal.

Also going to me making a green tea syrup/scotch based drink today I think, and was considering throwing some herbs in there to keep with spring. Not really sure what to go with though. Mint? Rosemary? Thyme?

Green tea and mint can go pretty well together, but with Scotch, you might end up with a more menthol taste. Smokey fernet tea?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I actually made one today and I'm not even going to gently caress with the herbs anymore. It's already got management approval and is going on the menu:

"Scottish Sweet Tea"

2oz Chivas Regal
1oz Green Tea syrup
0.5oz Laphroaig
Angostura Bitters

Stir, serve over rocks in a short glass.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

uncle spero posted:

Fart Car, you bartend in DC right? Care to share a list of your fav cocktail bars?

Atlantic Plumbing, Bourbon and Branch, Izakaya, Petworth Citizen, Left Door, Columbia room, Copy Cat Co, The Partisan. Barmini is worth mentioning for the comedy over the top option.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I actually made one today and I'm not even going to gently caress with the herbs anymore. It's already got management approval and is going on the menu:

"Scottish Sweet Tea"

2oz Chivas Regal
1oz Green Tea syrup
0.5oz Laphroaig
Angostura Bitters

Stir, serve over rocks in a short glass.

Is the Laphroaig not overpowering? I tried a Laphroaig rinse on a drink a few months back and ended up using Copper Fox instead.

Edit: double quote

giacomo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 21, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

giacomo posted:

Is the Laphroaig not overpowering? I tried a Laphroaig rinse on a drink a few months back and ended up using Copper Fox instead.

Edit: double quote

Nope it balances well, and smoke and green tea area good combo.

E: Does anyone have any experience with the Rothman & Winter Orchard Pear Liquer? I'm trying to decide between going the easy route and buying a bottle of that for the Mezcal/Pear/Allspice cocktail, or making a DIY brandy based liquer like this one: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/homemade-pear-liqueur-what-to-do-with-brandy-recipe.html
My worry is that the R&W Orchard Pear won't be potent enough to stand up to the Mezcal.

I'm going to DIY the allspice dram this week, regardless.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

I think I'm going to run with a bowl of Ale Punch for the weekend's chicken cookout:

http://www.classicmixology.com/punches/ale_punch/1862

A friend and I both have non-beer-drinking wives and this could be a fun way to get them to sip some barley.

Used Switchback ale and it was surprisingly different than expected. When the ice first hit and nutmeg grated, it was decidedly beer based but very floral, citrusy, and some dried fruit notes floating around with pungent nutmeg. It mellowed fruitier as the ice diluted it, and after some time, the bottom dregs were icy and refreshing. Didn't expect a beer based punch to be so well balanced and evolve so well. Went in imagining something decidedly sweet for the old-timey sugar content and a bowl that would want to be emptied quickly. Got a solid and fun bowl.

My wife wasn't a big fan until the end while my friend's wife started to appreciate it after the usual magic twenty minutes.

I will be mixing a larger batch of this for my parent's annual autumn soup potluck. Probably scaled to use a six-pack and I bet my sister and her husband dig it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

E: Does anyone have any experience with the Rothman & Winter Orchard Pear Liquer? I'm trying to decide between going the easy route and buying a bottle of that for the Mezcal/Pear/Allspice cocktail, or making a DIY brandy based liquer like this one: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/homemade-pear-liqueur-what-to-do-with-brandy-recipe.html
My worry is that the R&W Orchard Pear won't be potent enough to stand up to the Mezcal.

I haven't tried it but I tasted one called Elation recently that was pretty good and affordable. I think it was Hines cognac. Don't remember. A Young's product.

I'm also gonna do an allspice dram soon. I have 3 bottles of pyrat I inherited that are just wasting space. Let me know how yours comes out!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Can't help you here but speaking of DIY I can not loving get the Rothman Apricot for my bar in NC no matter how hard I try ..... anyone have any successful experiences with an infusion that comes out similarily? I really want to play with that stuff

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I haven't tried it but I tasted one called Elation recently that was pretty good and affordable. I think it was Hines cognac. Don't remember. A Young's product.

I'm also gonna do an allspice dram soon. I have 3 bottles of pyrat I inherited that are just wasting space. Let me know how yours comes out!

Elation is by Hardy, not Hine. It's lovely - poire William in cognac base.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Elation is by Hardy, not Hine. It's lovely - poire William in cognac base.

That's the one thanks

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goferchan posted:

Can't help you here but speaking of DIY I can not loving get the Rothman Apricot for my bar in NC no matter how hard I try ..... anyone have any successful experiences with an infusion that comes out similarily? I really want to play with that stuff

I would advise against DIY for an eau-de-vie, though. I know the ABC will let you special order...if you do it by the palette. You could always reach out to your fellows and see about going in.

Is there a USBG in the east or just Charlotte?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

I would advise against DIY for an eau-de-vie, though. I know the ABC will let you special order...if you do it by the palette. You could always reach out to your fellows and see about going in.

Is there a USBG in the east or just Charlotte?

Not sure, I'm in Western NC. That's indeed how we usually do it, though, go in on a case with other bars around town.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Asheville?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone know of a good rum flip recipe, the kind where you plunge a red hot poker into it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Could defer to Jerry Thomas (PBUH) and use a poker to heat the ale:

http://classicmixology.com/flips/rum_flip/1862

E: Unrelated but I'm starting to lean toward Morganthaler's critics about his amaretto sour. It's delicious but the bourbon really alters the drink enough to deserve another name.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 26, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It works better if you use bonded apple brandy instead of high-proof bourbon. It's rounder and less aggressive. That's how I make them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anyone doing Negroni week ? I forgot but I just signed up because it's $ for charity and a good cause and why the hell not

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

goferchan posted:

anyone doing Negroni week ? I forgot but I just signed up because it's $ for charity and a good cause and why the hell not

My regular bar is, so I intend to spend all my money there. Just like a regular week, really, but this time negroni themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

last year was cool one bar did negroni slushies and another did Negroni shots delivered via ice luge