Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No Such Thing posted:

Either that or wait until p5 or ffxv comes out and get a big shiny special edition bundle

FFXV will come out on its own PS console. The game will somehow get pushed back again and have to be completely remade for the next generation. This cycle will repeat itself in till the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Agreed with all this. The PS4 is a fine console but there has been enough chatter about price drops come e3 that it seems smart to wait and see, unless you have access to one of the crazy bundles right now. A friend of mine got the bundle for PS4 plus extra controller plus GTA5 plus Destiny for $350 last year and sold the games at near full price, which made it absolutely worth it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

FFXV will come out on its own PS console. The game will somehow get pushed back again and have to be completely remade for the next generation. This cycle will repeat itself in till the end of time.

They will call it the PlayStation Final, or PSF. Then, when it turns out it's not going to be the last PS console, they will name the next one the Play Station Origin. So that Sony can finally compete with Microsoft and Nintendo for "dumbest console naming scheme".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So far FFXV will be in development for 2 console generations. Can it pull a hat trick?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for the advice, videopeeps. I'm cautious about pulling the trigger on another system, especially with the NX yet to be revealed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The NX shouldn't really factor into it unless you really actually believe that THIS will be the system where Nintendo learns how to properly work with third parties, promote their games well and where the fanbase won't just be buying the system for the first party titles anyways while ignoring everything else

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Still, there's no good reason to buy a console anytime but the holiday season (preferably right after New Years when everyone will be trying to dump their unsold holiday bundles)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

axleblaze posted:

The NX shouldn't really factor into it unless you really actually believe that THIS will be the system where Nintendo learns how to properly work with third parties, promote their games well and where the fanbase won't just be buying the system for the first party titles anyways while ignoring everything else

I believe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can we make discussions of 'ludonarrative dissonance ' in games probatable please?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Can we make discussions of 'ludonarrative dissonance ' in games probatable please?

what post made you mad enough to request this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last couple of pages of the Uncharted 4 thread.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks SA ads

I don't even know what game that's from. Is that a DOTA?

Now we know multilevel marketers are trying to convince "streamerz" to prey on "gamerz"

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 17, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This is what it actually is saying,
"Trust us we can sell everything. Were the loving poo poo. We were able to sell asbestos to buildings after it was banned. Yea were that good."

Imagine any spokes person putting on sunglasses while telling you this in a deep voice.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
WE'RE NOT TROLLS

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

what's ludonarrative dissonance mean?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

But why does Mario need to save the princess to begin with and what justifies his murderous rampage through the mushroom kingdom? The gameplay does not support the narrative!

But seriously it's always a red flag for me to take a break from reading a thread while that chatter dissipates.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

It means what you do in the game clashes with what your character does in cutscenes. Generally it involves what you do in the game being "kill hundreds of people". Games that avoid it are cool but I don't know that there's much to be gained from complaining about games that don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

When the story presented in the gameplay doesn't match up with the story presented in the cutscenes or other areas ie Nate being a ruthless killer when you're controlling him but a jokey everyman lovable rogue in the cutscenes. Because, you know, it's a game.
I don't even know if it's a real term or some poo poo nerds made up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

It means what you do in the game clashes with what your character does in cutscenes. Generally it involves what you do in the game being "kill hundreds of people". Games that avoid it are cool but I don't know that there's much to be gained from complaining about games that don't.

oh ok

yeah that sucks when games have that but it seems weird to complain about it in regards to one particular game unless said game does it to such an extreme that you can't really ignore it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

HMS Boromir posted:

It means what you do in the game and what your character does in cutscenes clash. Generally it involves what you do in the game being "kill hundreds of people". Games that avoid it are cool but I don't know that there's much to be gained from complaining about games that don't.

That's the go-to example but the general meaning is "the gameplay does not accommodate the narrative or may even violate it, thus creating an uncomfortable psychological dissonance in the player." It's interesting from a game design perspective and it's something designers think about (and should) but it's also something that exists in the vast majority of games across platforms, publishers, developers, genres, etc. I can't think of a game that really ever made me feel it so much that I wasn't enjoying the game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Or like when in CALL OF BATTLE SHOOTMANS 7 you gun your way through thousands of enemy soldiers but when there's like a dozen enemy soldiers just about to bust through a barricaded door in a cutscene it's some huge insurmountable threat and you should be very afraid. See also how your invincible murder machine is unstoppable in gameplay but easily captured by only 2 enemies in a cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOd7o_iU4wc

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Like, it's one of those things designers strive to get out of their game but then the "is this game actually fun" topic gets thrown around and compromises are made so that players have something to do in the game (creating more dissonance) and in cutscenes they may reference the nature of the hero, even dynamically reacting to the actions the player took as the hero (to lessen the dissonance) or there is a story demand that requires something happen to the character that the player believes they may have been able to avoid if they were controlling it (increases dissonance). Uncharted and TLOU are games that are good example of games that basically do all three of these compromises. They expand on the combat to give the player something to do but make references to the hero (Nathan) being very violent in some cutscenes, notably the classic "you're not so different, you and I" poo poo that happens at the end of games with the main villain. MGS is another. Assassin's Creed could be considered a series that just lets it go rampant completely. You're a hero and cast as such but you kill lots of people and no one every seems to really give a poo poo and keeps treating you like a hero. Same with a lot of classic arcade and NES games.

Undertale is a game where the whole concept is built on having a gameplay and narrative completely in step. It's a very cool aspect of it. It's not something I really demand from the games I play though because ultimately as long as am having fun, I can easily suspend disbelief when it comes to some of that poo poo.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 17, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Homefront 2 reviews are starting to roll in and it looks like it's a good 'ol clusterfuck:

"Baddies will alternate between standing and squatting behind the same bit of cover no matter how many times you shoot them, and there’s a fairly good chance you’ll take them out as they jog eternally on the spot with their faces pressed into a wall. Their stupidity seems to reach the remarkable extent of not knowing when they’re dead, with apparently perfectly placed headshots not registering frustratingly often, and some of the silliest bullet sponging I’ve seen in a while, despite blood splattering everywhere."

"Red zones seem to possess an infinite number of enemies, too, meaning you can end up surrounded by comedic towering piles of enemies as you laboriously pick your way through them waiting for a gap to go complete a task."

"The batshit pathfinding for the enemy vehicles, which will repeatedly slam themselves into dead-ends, making dreadful pained noises as they beat themselves slowly to death against a wall rather than reversing"

"NPC teammates will incessantly block doorways to ensure you get killed, and here, with no quicksave, this can ruin giant amounts of hard work"

"The game in the daylight looks amazing, just ridiculous levels of detail in the humongous city. At night it’s a smear of grey drear, enemies appearing from nowhere, details nearly impossible to spot for finding hidden hideouts and treats, terribly lit and infuriatingly more tiresome to play."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

That's the go-to example but the general meaning is "the gameplay does not accommodate the narrative or may even violate it, thus creating an uncomfortable psychological dissonance in the player." It's interesting from a game design perspective and it's something designers think about (and should) but it's also something that exists in the vast majority of games across platforms, publishers, developers, genres, etc. I can't think of a game that really ever made me feel it so much that I wasn't enjoying the game.

People invoked this dumb crap a few years ago with the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot where Lara Croft becomes an unstoppable killing machine minutes after being forced to defend herself for the first time, like it was actually a valid criticism against the game and not completely awesome in every way.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

It started with Bioshock and GTA IV, actually.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 17, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

Homefront 2 reviews are starting to roll in and it looks like it's a good 'ol clusterfuck:
At least there's one good bit in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ01DgCt19Y

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
VR for everyone

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I love bootleg Iron Man face visor, very hip.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ09xdxzIJQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oh man it really is just timesplitters 2

man I wish those games were available on PC with online multiplayer. who knows how long it'll take that fan project to finish (if they ever do)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why whine about something you don't like in one thread in a different thread, don't be a goober

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It feels like awhile back Yahtzee, not really being able to complain about gameplay but wanting to complain, complained that Drake, a character in a shooter, killed a ton of people and for some reason since then gamers that feel like complaining about nothing always bring this up with Uncharted and like no other shooter like it means something and it's always felt petty and dumb to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

why whine about something you don't like in one thread in a different thread, don't be a goober

Why direct something at me if you're not gonna quote me, don't be a goober

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Uncharted would have been better if they cut the combat encounters in half and focused more on the exploration and platforming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

Uncharted would have been better if they cut the combat encounters in half and focused more on the exploration and platforming.

That's literally what they did in 4, also a bunch of the encounters you can just sneak past if you want.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does Bruce Campbell voice the main character in that one still?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well that's good. I disliked 1 and 2, but 3 was actually good because I could actually do things that weren't hiding behind a waist high wall due to Drake's tissue paper health so its nice to know that Naughty Dog finally got it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Accordion Man posted:

They did this already and they also made Drake a pretty girl with beautiful flowing tresses and named it Riiise of the Tomb Raidah and released it on PC so I could actually play it.

• Locked thread