Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Pan-African, Pan-Slavic and Pan-Arab flags are kind of annoying.

They wouldn't be if they actually unified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Here's the version with flags in their countries. You can tell them apart reasonably well, I think.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Anyone have a gallery of all of the flags that feature AK-47s or other firearms? It's fascinating to me that countries feature it on their flags.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lord Wexia posted:

Anyone have a gallery of all of the flags that feature AK-47s or other firearms? It's fascinating to me that countries feature it on their flags.

Wikimedia Commons.

Only one has the AK-47 on it: Mozambique's.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

The French are basically nazis and their cuisine is revolting

Their cheeses alone may overpower any opposition from the current regime.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TinTower posted:

Wikimedia Commons.

Only one has the AK-47 on it: Mozambique's.

I'd like to visit the Artillery Republic of Vietnam some day.

I heard it's a blast.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ekuNNN posted:

:ssh: thats actually the part pleghmish loves the most :ssh:

Indiana always getting ripped off in these things. "lets just take their blue and gold flag and make it red and gold :effort:"

edit: Oh DC's flag is literally the same. Good work.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Indiana always getting ripped off in these things. "lets just take their blue and gold flag and make it red and gold :effort:"

edit: Oh DC's flag is literally the same. Good work.

The Iroquois got a red border. Lots of effort there, too. (Though it's a hard design to touch....)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OddObserver posted:

The Iroquois got a red border. Lots of effort there, too. (Though it's a hard design to touch....)
Alaska is also pretty lazy.

I found the original size for people who wanted more detail. It's loving huge, 10,000 x 5,000 huge
https://i.imgur.com/p8jPNi0.png

Edit: changes Prince Edward's Island's name but not Maryland's or Georgia's.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 16, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
How many "redraw the US state boundaries" maps must we endure?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Echo Chamber posted:

How many "redraw the US state boundaries" maps must we endure?

Are there any good "redraw European boundaries" maps?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Here:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ljubljana, not Trieste, was the capital of the Illyrian provinces and therefore should be the one labelled on that map :colbert:

Fun fact: Slovenia is one of the few places in Europe that still somewhat celebrates Napoleon, since his naming Ljubljana as the capital led to Slovenian being allowed to be taught in schools and stuff and basically saved it from extinction since the Austrians thought it was peasant talk. There's even a "French Revolution Square" in Ljubljana now.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Here's the version with flags in their countries. You can tell them apart reasonably well, I think.

Out of all the continents Africa has the best flags by far. Something good coming out of becoming independent after "three stripes in various colors and orders" was the height of flag design.

Now I imagine what Napoleon could pull off with Hitler's forces (provided he understood that stuff)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 16, 2016

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

ekuNNN posted:

:ssh: thats actually the part pleghmish loves the most :ssh:

From the moment I was born, I have ever lived in the State of Paine.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Pan-African, Pan-Slavic and Pan-Arab flags are kind of annoying.

nothing compared to state flags designed by Daughters of the American Revolution and/or confederate flags

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

A totally valid comparison from the man likely to be the next British Prime Minister:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TinTower posted:

A totally valid comparison from the man likely to be the next British Prime Minister:

Did Bornholm secede? And what is that map anyway, EU pre-2013?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

mcustic posted:

Did Bornholm secede? And what is that map anyway, EU pre-2013?

I totally missed Croatia wasn't coloured in. :downs:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I posted some of these a long time ago but some are new. Maps of twitter conversations in various minority/regional languages.

Frisian

Maori

Basque

Welsh

Breton

Irish

Cornish

Scots Gaelic

Scots Gaelic, UK and Ireland only.

Manx

About the Manx map, from the map maker:

quote:

A word or two regarding the Manx map. Of the six Celtic languages, Manx has the smallest number of users on Twitter and probably the smallest number of speakers also. Several users have "Isle of Man", "Ellan Vannin" (or variants thereof) as their location (and no more specific location on the island). Because of this, I normalized all locations on the island to a single lat/long, and therefore (disappointingly) the map doesn't show what I expect is actually an interesting network of communication taking place on the island; instead it just shows the conversation pathways between the island and three users off the island.

From here

http://indigenoustweets.blogspot.fr/

and to see how many people are tweeting in these languages

http://indigenoustweets.com/

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

computer parts posted:

Are there any good "redraw European boundaries" maps?

In 1954 Leopold Kohr, Austrian political scientist and self described philosophical anarchist, published The Breakup of Nations. The book protested what he called the "cult of bigness". There is a general desire for expansion and Kohr argued that all the world's problems could be traced back to one power becoming too powerful. The division of the United States was perfect as no one state was large enough to dominate the others or cause much harm.

To illustrate his ideas, he drew an idealized version of Europe based strongly on US borders. This, in his mind, was what Europe should strive for:

He realized, however, that dividing Europe into rectangular states would clash with the ‘tribal’ makeup of the continent’s culturally diverse peoples. He proposed the following borders:

I would personally love a EU4 or Victoria 2 mod that tried to divide Europe as set up above.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

I would personally love a EU4 or Victoria 2 mod that tried to divide Europe as set up above.

Looks pretty similar to the DeJure kingdoms map for CK2.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
At the absolute least, that map doesn't reflect the ethnic movements at the end of WW2.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also I would definitely divide England up into the Heptarchy if we're dividing everyone else up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 17, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That was the first thing that struck me, England getting an insane population advantage in both of those maps.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 16, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd had thought at least Cornwall and Yorkshire would have got independence.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm the Papal States in 1954

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

I'm the Papal States in 1954

I also enjoyed that one.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I'm Greater Poland renamed Posen.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Don't see that everyday, a Greater X which is actually smaller than the actual X.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Antti posted:

Don't see that everyday, a Greater X which is actually smaller than the actual X.

Seriously. I was expecting, like, those bonkers maps about the Eurasia-spanning Korean Empire circa 2000 BC.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Gotta correct that right away, have a map of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth with the current western borders of Poland haphazardly painted in by me :effort:

I'm sure Polish irredentists would love to get their hands on that. Probably even including Tobago and that one city in Gambia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

E:NM

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Eskaton posted:

Pretty sure the Persians and Ottomans spoke Turkish and Persian to eachother because they both knew how to speak it, but maybe that's just a Safavid thing.

States used French in diplomacy precisely because of this - if two countries spoke 'the same language' then treaties would be opened up to endless ambiguity with regards to dialect, synonyms etc. I'm not suggesting that people who spoke the same non-French language went around saying, "Bonjour Monsieur!" but that when they put their agreements onto paper they were all written in French so there would be absolutely no disagreement on what the document actually said.

It was the legal-speak of the 19th century, in other words.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gotta correct that right away, have a map of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth with the current western borders of Poland haphazardly painted in by me :effort:

I'm sure Polish irredentists would love to get their hands on that. Probably even including Tobago and that one city in Gambia.

That country would not include large areas where Poles actually live, thanks again to Soviet and American and British people drawing lines on a map.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

That map depicts the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the 17th century, way before the Soviet Union, the USA or even the UK existed, so I'm not sure how they're supposed to come into play here :v:

But now I'm curious: where do Poles live that's not covered by that area? I know way too little about Eastern Europe

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

That map depicts the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the 17th century, way before the Soviet Union, the USA or even the UK existed, so I'm not sure how they're supposed to come into play here :v:

He was talking about a wild hypothetical wherein modern-day Poland would get all former Polish-Lithuanian lands.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But now I'm curious: where do Poles live that's not covered by that area? I know way too little about Eastern Europe

In the aftermath of WW2, the Polish nation was moved west, as part of a bright idea Stalin had. The entire population of many eastern German towns were loaded on cattle cars and shipped further into Germany. The entire population of many eastern Polish towns were loaded onto cattle cars and moved west, across Poland, and unloaded in empty former German towns, villages, and cities. This had the effect of moving an entire nation some miles to the west. It was a process that looked clean on a map but was not at all clean in its implementation.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Ah that. I know, thats why I tried to include the current western borders as well. Should have painted them to be more visible I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

In the aftermath of WW2, the Polish nation was moved west, as part of a bright idea Stalin had. The entire population of many eastern German towns were loaded on cattle cars and shipped further into Germany. The entire population of many eastern Polish towns were loaded onto cattle cars and moved west, across Poland, and unloaded in empty former German towns, villages, and cities. This had the effect of moving an entire nation some miles to the west. It was a process that looked clean on a map but was not at all clean in its implementation.

I'm wondering what the thread thinks of these events. Good thing, bad thing, necessary thing? Its often forgotten about, with all the horrors of that war, many inflicted by Germans, that this sort of ethnic cleansing happened to them as well (though obviously not to anything like the same degree of violence).