Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Shame the gently caress out of that WAR. That WHM sounds great and I'd take them a hundred percent of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The implication was that it was WHM, WAR, then us.

ilifinicus posted:

I stopped reading once they were mad about casts being interrupted from things dying too fast; that's not something to whine about
Nothing mad about that, just at the WHM. Our casts being interrupted was the reason for our low DPS on that fight because I know I lost Enochian once and Astral 3 twice due to the rocks/adds dying while the Blizz 4/Fire was being cast.

It's a bit more of a minor annoyance than getting Deathflare/Fell Cleave sniped out from under you though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
had this ARF run today

not only an honest healer but also a monk that barely did more damage than the tank. worst part was that he was geared way better than I was

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

ARF is synced to i180, though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Nothing mad about that, just at the WHM. Our casts being interrupted was the reason for our low DPS on that fight because I know I lost Enochian once and Astral 3 twice due to the rocks/adds dying while the Blizz 4/Fire was being cast.

Do not cast Blizzard 4 on targets with low HP. Target the boss and cast it there so you know it won't get interrupted. Do this with Fire 1 as well if low hp adds are dying quickly enough that your Fire cast might not finish. Swiftcast can help you get casts out before targets die as well if you have to, or it can be used to quickly toss out a Fire 3 if you drop Astral Fire.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Virulence posted:

ARF is synced to i180, though.

Monks could do (over) 470dps with i120 gear at level 50.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hamsterlady posted:

Do not cast Blizzard 4 on targets with low HP. Target the boss and cast it there so you know it won't get interrupted. Do this with Fire 1 as well if low hp adds are dying quickly enough that your Fire cast might not finish. Swiftcast can help you get casts out before targets die as well if you have to, or it can be used to quickly toss out a Fire 3 if you drop Astral Fire.

Yeah, this. Same with Flare.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
as a whm main I make it a point to shame all other players I out dps and unironically encourage this behavior since warriors have been doing it forever

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Monks could do (over) 470dps with i120 gear at level 50.

I'm aware. I'm just implying the difference shouldn't have even been that significant to begin with, but people are terrible at video games.

As an aside, seeing people with 9 pieces of Lore gear and a 210 weapon is pretty frustrating.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hamsterlady posted:

I know this, but when the other DPS is also BLM things get wonky. Especially since Ziggy's adds die in pretty much a single cast. (The blizz 4 was on an add attacking the healer with Ziggy across the room, but their Stone 3 went off before mine did.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Healer should be middle of the dps chart or they aren't doing their job right
:colbert:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you can trust your healer, don't kill Ziggy's adds at all. The explosion damage is not difficult to just heal through, and you can keep dps on the boss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you can trust your healer, don't kill Ziggy's adds at all. The explosion damage is not difficult to just heal through, and you can keep dps on the boss.

This is true, I have done this as a healer. BUT your DPS has to be able to do a 2 phase, if you hit phase three Stardust going off somebody is probably going to die if they get hit by all the explosions.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I know this, but when the other DPS is also BLM things get wonky. Especially since Ziggy's adds die in pretty much a single cast. (The blizz 4 was on an add attacking the healer with Ziggy across the room, but their Stone 3 went off before mine did.)

Low HP includes low max HP. If adds are dying in one or two casts, target the boss with Blizzard 4, because a mob at max HP might still die before you finish Blizzard 4's long cast time. All the adds in the Ziggy fight can't be trusted to live for 3 seconds.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's a third phase?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've seen five stardust phases with really lovely DPS. They're time based so if the fight somehow goes on long enough there might be a sixth, I don't know.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

zolthorg posted:

Healer should be middle of the dps chart or they aren't doing their job right
:colbert:
But they can aim for the top.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

You know there's more than one way to get relic tokens than beast tribe quests, right? The open-endedness of that step was great and I hope they expand on it in the future.

When your combined playtime is an hour and a half between waking up but before going to work and coming home for lunch, beastmen fit that schedule perfectly. I can jump in, grab the quests, leave when I have to leave and can continue rather then having to sit in a queue again when I come back. Also I'm not having my time eaten up by retards who don't know how to play their class despite getting them all the way to 60.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
In a trash pull of 4 or more enemies, I (SCH) can generally get top DPS in the group if there's no SMN!

Here is something I recently discovered and would like to tell fellow scholars: emergency tactics actually owns. You see the description and you think, "so what? a cooldown just to be a white mage for one spell? situational at best, like dissipation," but it's up every 30 seconds, so basically any time you need some burst group healing you can chain emergency tactics -> succor -> indomitability and it feels so good.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Potato Jones posted:

But they can aim for the top.

sorry, at minimum*

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

In a trash pull of 4 or more enemies, I (SCH) can generally get top DPS in the group if there's no SMN!

Here is something I recently discovered and would like to tell fellow scholars: emergency tactics actually owns. You see the description and you think, "so what? a cooldown just to be a white mage for one spell? situational at best, like dissipation," but it's up every 30 seconds, so basically any time you need some burst group healing you can chain emergency tactics -> succor -> indomitability and it feels so good.

cant wait to hit 60, that sounds amazing, not as much for aoe but for clutch tank heals if you got a crit adlo :o

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Speaking of DPS being so low that you get to see boss phases you had never seen before, I finally learned what the last boss of Copperbell Mines was trying to achieve. It happened my first time queuing for mentor roulette. Today, I queued it and got Odin. I actually still like it because it's so random. It's like gambling, except I'm not sure what I'd consider a win...

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ruta posted:

Speaking of DPS being so low that you get to see boss phases you had never seen before, I finally learned what the last boss of Copperbell Mines was trying to achieve. It happened my first time queuing for mentor roulette. Today, I queued it and got Odin. I actually still like it because it's so random. It's like gambling, except I'm not sure what I'd consider a win...
Mentor roulette has things in it that aren't EX primals and aurum vale??

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

moooom excal is leaking again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the current exdr is very healer friendly.

As in, past a roused selene/sealed regen at the right time you don't really have to touch your heal skills. Just bomb away. When I queue as a blm and there's a decently geared whm, I have issues competing, goddamn long fire 3 casts lowering my dps. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Of the remaining jobs I have yet to max from 50 to 60, which of these has an interesting story?

* SCH/SMN
* WHM
* BLM
* DRG

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 17, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SMN has you taking on some B-tier Ascians, it's kinda cool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
SCH has tonberries.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
DRG has a 30-50 story that makes no goddamn sense if you've completed 3.0, and tbh makes no sense in context even if you completed it before HW.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

If you like beast tribe quests then you might enjoy BLM 30-50.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SMN/SCH both have pretty good stories post-50.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Of the remaining jobs I have yet to max from 50 to 60, which of these has an interesting story?

* SCH/SMN
* WHM
* BLM
* DRG

WHM 50-60 isn't bad. It's still on the generic side like the 30-50 WHM quest. Better done but nothing new. There's a corruption leaking into the forest from Ishgard and you're the only White Mage for the job! (Because the other two are scared of going outside...)

BLM 50-60 is super generic and I spent the entire time laughing at the silly BLM eso outfit the bad guy wears. Nothing to write home about. There's another Black Mage teaching people the FORBIDDEN BLACK ARTS and guess who's catching the flak for it?

DRG 50-60 is pretty bland but you get a closer look at Dragoons and their place in Ishgardian society. I'm a sucker for that kind of world building crap so I was on board. The Captain of the not-special Dragoons is pretty pumped to finally learn from an Azure Dragoon that isn't a weird, reclusive dick.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 17, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Your mileage on WHM questing in HW boils down to how immature your sense of humor is. If the phrase "cleanse the taint" makes you laugh then you'll have fun with it. The duties are good though.

DRG has some neat setpiece duties but aside from that it's just more loving stubborn Ishgard elf adventures. The ending could have some neat payoff down the road though.

Haven't gotten around to SMN yet but SCH is more fun with the Nymian tonberries so it is automatically great.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Summoner wasn't very exciting, but Y'shtola's sister is also basically a cardboard cutout so there wasn't a lot to expect. On the other hand, you do cap it off by using Akh Morn on a bunch of chump Ascians so it has that going for it.

Scholar was kind of cute, with more Tonberries and also getting conscripted as a marine by a Tonberry sergeant. I think I enjoyed this one the most.

Do dragoon if you want to hate elves more.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The best part about bird farming Thordan EX is every party that can actually easily clear falls apart after three runs.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Dragoon quests (And, well, Ishgardian society in general) make me want a Dravanian job crystal. Every 5 levels, a new dragon form or powers to use while shapeshifted into a dragon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

Dragoon quests (And, well, Ishgardian society in general) make me want a Dravanian job crystal. Every 5 levels, a new dragon form or powers to use while shapeshifted into a dragon.

That would be a boss as hell DPS job if they did it right.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Expand it beyond just dragons and you have a recipe for the BLU job we've been talking about

vvv: You get access to endgame currencies (tomes) when you cross various milestones like level 50/2.0msq and level 60/3.0msq

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 17, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What are daily roulette turn ins? I can do a daily roulette duty dungeon with extra xp or something, is that it?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Mentor roulette has things in it that aren't EX primals and aurum vale??

I've gotten Lost City of Ampador Hard three times in a row for mentor roulette. Of those three, one of them was the best pubbie runs I ever had of an EXDR dungeon (both DPS above 1100 DPS, SCH at 900, and then me at 650 for tank).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks to mentor roulette I can confirm that people still drop after one failed attempt at Chrysalis, or immediately on entering Steps. I don't get it either, those are such easy fun fights nowadays.

I've also somehow gotten Levi Ex with 3+ newbies more than a few times. Sometimes we even win!

• Locked thread