Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, uh, I have a question that I can't find the answer for online. Can you unlock achievements in EU IV via multiplayer?

Nah, need to be ironman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

VostokProgram posted:

It's clausewitz engine after all

Jomini gets no respect.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Can't wait to finally be able to pre-order hoiiv so I can cancel that pre-order.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Groogy posted:

The Kiwi's and Kangaroos need to follow the whim of the Bulldog unfortunately so can't guarantee they won't be in a war.

"Playing as" removes their dominion status.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Jomini gets no respect.

still mad they removed the Clausewitz vs Jomini choice from vicky 2

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

"Playing as" removes their dominion status.

Oh you mean if you start as GB? But that's cheating :colbert:
How are their economies without being in the sphere of GB? Or they still stay in the sphere?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Groogy posted:

Oh you mean if you start as GB? But that's cheating :colbert:
How are their economies without being in the sphere of GB? Or they still stay in the sphere?

Still stay in the sphere, but even if you seize the means of production leace the sphere the economy's not too bad if you manage to become secondary power through prestige techs and start colonising the Pacific. Not a particularly exciting game though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Pacific isn't worth much though, if you wanna go Great Power I imagine you have to snag parts of South East Asia.
I mean if you become only Secondary Power through Prestige then it's pretty bad.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Groogy posted:

The Pacific isn't worth much though, if you wanna go Great Power I imagine you have to snag parts of South East Asia.
I mean if you become only Secondary Power through Prestige then it's pretty bad.

Well yeah, but I was talking about having a guaranteed pacifist game?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

So... What? You play it for the numbers ticking up? All of Paradox's games are, at their heart, somewhere between a typical RTS and a full-on wargame. All other features like economies and diplomacy and characters exist merely to give background and flavor to the combat

I mostly play for the narrative that I myself create in conjunction with the mechanisms and mechanics that assist that.

However, "I don't play it for the combat" is me just pointing out that combat is very much decided by a mix of RNG and whether or not I have more and/or better men. It's not particularly involved, decidedly minimally tactical and only somewhat strategic. If I want to get involved with deep combat I'll go play an RTS or something.

Groogy posted:

Republic of Australia apologizes for nothing!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

All this talk, I am probably gonna play Communist Kiwi's or something in the weekend and conquer liberate the workers of South East Asia.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Paradox staff clearly doing research for Victoria 3 itt.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nah, it's for Rome II.
Need to figure out how to get Populists into the game proper.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groogy posted:

Nah, need to be ironman.

:sigh: Time to try Kongo... again.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not sure where all the Stellaris hate is coming from, admittedly I've only put 12 hours into it but I am really enjoying it, more so than the current EU4 patch with 4 lovely useless systems that were tacked on top of it.
My biggest problem is that I have no clue on the other nations and if I can win a war against them/if my happiness can handle it. Combat and the lack of info for it should be addressed.

Stellaris will improve over time, just like EU4 did, then it will peak and hopefully an other title is out to replace it.

vvvv It already is a good game and worth the money.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 17, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tahirovic posted:

Not sure where all the Stellaris hate is coming from, admittedly I've only put 12 hours into it but I am really enjoying it, more so than the current EU4 patch with 4 lovely useless systems that were tacked on top of it.
My biggest problem is that I have no clue on the other nations and if I can win a war against them/if my happiness can handle it. Combat and the lack of info for it should be addressed.

Stellaris will improve over time, just like EU4 did, then it will peak and hopefully an other title is out to replace it.

Buying a game cuz it'll get good later isn't really a sound use of money, even if the game company in question is good and reliable people.

You can buy it later just as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The way to immeasurably improve Stellaris is to add social reforms and literacy.

And also make democracies have upper and lower houses, with parties based on pop ethoses.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

slavatuvs posted:

I have a sinking feeling that it will be co-op because the AI is going to be unfixable garbage.

But... co-op would still be played against the AI???

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tahirovic posted:

What happened with EU4 lately? Last time Ive played was a little after Art of War and it was still fine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

slavatuvs posted:

I have a sinking feeling that it will be co-op because the AI is going to be unfixable garbage.

I don't understand this sentence.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Probably means corruption, which was pretty unnecessary, as well as Sailors, which is just manpower for boats. States are fine though and get rid of an old, stupid exploit.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Dreylad posted:

I don't understand this sentence.

He mean by saying that from watching the best HOI4 player whose 8h job is specifically being really good at it manage to beat the AI in streams means that the AI is going to be utterly garbage incapable of playing the game. And somehow playing Co-Op with someone is gonna make the AI better?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I have a Stellaris complaint, it has limited support for screen resolutions so on the Mac client. I like to have it open in Windowed mode on my second screen (24" WS) so 1600x1200 is 50 pixels to high and the next lower resolution is tiny.
Not sure if editing the settings file manually will affect performance/stability.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

nah changing in the settings file should be fine, I mean at most you might get that the graphics card can't optimize some things but since this isn't the latest iteration of Call of Duty or so it doesn't really matter.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Groogy posted:

nah changing in the settings file should be fine, I mean at most you might get that the graphics card can't optimize some things but since this isn't the latest iteration of Call of Duty or so it doesn't really matter.

hmmmm.... it's a shame you can't add sound files to diplomatic responses (I think). While you could mod an AI personality to be "Screaming 14 year old with headset", it's not the same without that breaking, pubescent voice attached telling you what he's going to do to you and your mother's pet fish.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Groogy posted:

Why? A ton of wars were started during this era with economical growth as motivator. Also I want to know what nation you play as where you can avoid wars all together.

When I play V2 I mostly just want to see my factory output go up and my POPs' needs fulfilled charts filling up (and Conservatism staying the top issue!), wars just disrupt things. Also dealing with mobilized troops... :argh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The way to immeasurably improve Stellaris is to add social reforms and literacy.

And also make democracies have upper and lower houses, with parties based on pop ethoses.

This, unironically.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

(and Conservatism staying the top issue!)

I made a cool mod you might like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686252922

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

my personal experience with eu4 is that, pretty much every time i look at a battle, i can see why i'm losing - "oh, they have a better general", "oh, they have +20% morale, gently caress you france", etc. or why i'm winning. whichever. very rarely is it because of "rng bullshit".

ck2's combat is a massive mess - i have never understood it, beyond the simple concepts of terrain & numerical superiority. there's a whole mess of different unit types and tactics and cultural tactics and technology and essentially no way to tell what's interacting with what. eu4's ui is flawed, but the underlying system is roughly comprehensible. ck2 is a bad ui over a bad system.

vicky 2's combat is okay, but vicky 2 warfare is not great, past the early game. fighting a war is absolutely exhausting - micromanaging reinforcement stacks in long battles, sieging down every single province, etc. it's all the most tiring parts of eu3 combat, exaggerated by the excesses of the industrial revolution. and even that wouldn't be all that bad, but the way vicky 2 diplomacy and peace systems work tend to end with you fighting the same war again in another five or ten years. an endless succession of ww1s, starting in 1885 and continuing for the next 50 years.

i love every paradox game, except for sengoku, but i wouldn't say any of them have better combat than eu4.

I feel like if they ever make a Vicky 3, it would help a lot to base the warfare on the HoI model rather than EU - especially if they integrated the strategic planning options in HoI4. That way it would be less about micromanaging your elite troops and hordes of conscripts and more about setting up a front line and then ensuring your production and supply lines hold up, which I feel would fit the economic focus of the Victoria series better than the EU style army management.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like if they ever make a Vicky 3, it would help a lot to base the warfare on the HoI model rather than EU - especially if they integrated the strategic planning options in HoI4. That way it would be less about micromanaging your elite troops and hordes of conscripts and more about setting up a front line and then ensuring your production and supply lines hold up, which I feel would fit the economic focus of the Victoria series better than the EU style army management.

Yeah, I feel like this might be a good idea-- it'd have to be way stripped down, so you don't have to play a game of HoI and Victoria at the same time, but conceptually in both games industry, production, and research are decisive in developing your military.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The HOI4 stream is about to start and it looks like the Steam page has (sorta) been updated with DLC packs. I suspect that by the time the stream finishes (at 1pm EST/10am PST) the Steam people will have updated the page.

Watch it here if you'd rather play video games than be doing your job this afternoon.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
e^: :argh:

stream starting now https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DrSunshine posted:

This, unironically.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well that was fast - Twitch seems to be making GBS threads the bed today but we got a nice look at the Superior Firepower doctrine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well that was fast - Twitch seems to be making GBS threads the bed today but we got a nice look at the Superior Firepower doctrine.

Back up. Apparently a DOS attack.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 17, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm at work right now but I can't wait to see this particular stream when I get home, since for the first time the specific thing they're doing is something I'm particularly interested in beyond just seeing HoI IV in action in general.

Where's the DLC info?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The DLC is gone now, but was was just called 'Preview' and the other was 'Field Marshal's Edition' or something. Neither had a description and clicking on them took you back to Steam main page so I'm pretty sure they were just errors.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
ok I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure i saw a naval unit icon in Switzerland for a second.

There is something called HOI4: War Stories

https://steamdb.info/app/445630/

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

He mean by saying that from watching the best HOI4 player whose 8h job is specifically being really good at it manage to beat the AI in streams means that the AI is going to be utterly garbage incapable of playing the game. And somehow playing Co-Op with someone is gonna make the AI better?

In fairness, he usually beats the AI by building large amounts of the most basic unit and essentially attack-moving them across the enemy's territory. That's not exactly the most stellar design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Looks like it might be HOI4 pre-orders going live

https://steamdb.info/app/394360/subs/

Most of the updated subs are only available in specific zones, russia, south america. etc. Places where you can't trade between.