Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vital Signs posted:

Got a new stick from http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com and wow I am impressed. I was lucky enough to pick one up locally, but I think it's still around $100 for one shipped. I highly recommend them, as they feel and play like a top end stick, but for much less.

Interested in seeing how long it lasts. Our team went through a phase with people buying these and they lasted like half a season.

Also just get top end sticks when they're on sale for like 100-120, easier that way

Zip! posted:

I've got a skate at 10.45pm-11.45pm on the Friday night you'd be welcome on - its a team practice, so drills drills drills with a 20 minute scrimmage at the end. The coach who takes it is a dick but its probably one of the better skates when the right players show up. Not sure how well that works with your schedule?

Nice! When do I have to confirm and what rink is it at? Have to get down to Paris at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Loqieu posted:

A small joy I have is when someone has their kids come to the game, and they all stand by the rink door post-game for fist bumps. Happened last night, and I don't think those kids were even with any of us.

There's a lot of truth to this. It means early games are better for more than just the ability to go to sleep before 3am.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

Interested in seeing how long it lasts. Our team went through a phase with people buying these and they lasted like half a season.

Also just get top end sticks when they're on sale for like 100-120, easier that way
Several guys on my team have had theirs for quite some time and they seem to be holding up really well. I know early on durability was an issue, but that seems to be fixed. It's also pretty hard to find the top end sticks at anything less than $150, even on sale. If you do, it's probably 2 year or older technology.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With the AIL they commonly have relatively high level games after our late ice slot (late being 10:00am), which means there's a lot of self important teenage boys standing around on the glass waiting for their warmups.

No fist bumps from them, if it's not boredom it's a look of horror as they realize this is what hockey will be like for them when they're in their 40's.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Several guys on my team have had theirs for quite some time and they seem to be holding up really well. I know early on durability was an issue, but that seems to be fixed. It's also pretty hard to find the top end sticks at anything less than $150, even on sale. If you do, it's probably 2 year or older technology.

Hockey Monkey discounts last year's high end sticks down to $100-120 regularly on every holiday, usually with a coupon code.

Getting "2-year old technology" doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leagues/Game.asp?LgID=42035&GID=1446094

I love beer league defense... At least I'm above .800 SV% for once.

Also the one guy got 14 penalty minutes for one call, so that was exciting to see.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Had a preseason game Saturday night with eleven people on our online check-in and seventeen loving skaters showed up. How the gently caress does that even happen? Oh, because our captain invited a bunch of people to fill out the lineup or some bullshit. Whatever, it's the preseason and all, but it was one of the least enjoyable game experiences I've had, and that doesn't even take into account our 2-8 loss. I played maybe fifteen minutes out of 45 and felt like rear end, which is normal when there are more than four D because I'm old and if I'm sitting for more than two minutes my body starts cooling down hard. We were playing a team of college kids home for the summer, and regularly would have been able to match them, but no one had any rhythm and like five or six guys were totally new faces. What the gently caress.

Then last night my other team has eight skaters, three D, against a nearly full bench in a complete reversal of circumstances. I felt fantastic skating probably forty minutes+ out of sixty. Played one of the most complete games I can recall, drove possession, had an assist, scored a goal on an end-to-end rush, accounted for probably 8-10 of my team's 45 recorded shots (to their 19), and we wound up pasting them 5-1. Good way to end the weekend.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hockey Monkey discounts last year's high end sticks down to $100-120 regularly on every holiday, usually with a coupon code.

my brother in arms

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Feels like those sales are getting harder to come by, especially in popular curves and flexes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then use an unpopular curve and flex.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Feels like those sales are getting harder to come by, especially in popular curves and flexes.

Give it another year and it'll be nuts all over again as the new tech sticks of the past ~2 years are phased out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right but now it's every other year, used to be every year. I've got a stockpile from when they cleared out APX2s.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

My 115 crazy ovi works fine!

*breaks wrists shooting puck into bleachers*

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used a 120 flex with a lidstrom curve for years, seriously

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat you bunch of swole fucks. I'm stuck with a measly 75 flex int stick when I play out. Still use the Ovi curve with minimum accuracy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm gonna be sad if/when the CAD regains the ground lost to the USD. Good bye ~30% discount on everything right off the top. :homebrew:

e: drat they're almost back up to 80 cents on the dollar.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm finally gainfully employed again and my knee is healed and the next season starts in a few weeks.

Where da sales at?! I need to buy new gear!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Nitramster posted:

After the NHL playoffs / finals I think? I hope. I'm kinda waiting too cause I think I want new/better elbow pads. Every time I fall down on my left it keeps making my bursa swell up. It's either that or glue some more foam in there.

Huh, actually gently caress it I may just do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

drat you bunch of swole fucks. I'm stuck with a measly 75 flex int stick when I play out. Still use the Ovi curve with minimum accuracy.

I've been using a 62 flex Easton of a few years now. They own.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

sellouts posted:

Nice! When do I have to confirm and what rink is it at? Have to get down to Paris at some point.

You can let me know on the day if you want. The rink is called Solihull Ice Rink and its a doozy....

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's like... your opinion man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

That's like... your opinion man.

The correct opinion.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

I have two sticks, a 100 flex warrior covert QR5 and some lovely wooden CCM with 85 flex. The only reason I go with solid sticks is because it really seems to help with playing D. I gave D a try with a lower flex (60 ish) and just couldn't keep the puck/get it off of anyone.

With 100 i'm like the loving hulk, just hold my stick in place and watch as people's sticks bounce off it trying to slash the puck off of it. Feels good man. Suppose it also helps that i've gotten more confident and skillful and dictating the flow of play around me now. I can usually get them to check from an awkward spot.

e: The 85 is for days where I haven't eaten much and i'm feeling weak.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 17, 2016

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

The correct opinion.
Maybe, but I'm still a fan of getting a quality stick without a sale for a low price in a variety of flexes and curves.

xzzy posted:

I try to stay of the opinion that curve doesn't matter that much, but anytime I don't use a stick that has next to no curve my shot is way off.

dogstile posted:

I have two sticks, a 100 flex warrior covert QR5 and some lovely wooden CCM with 85 flex. The only reason I go with solid sticks is because it really seems to help with playing D. I gave D a try with a lower flex (60 ish) and just couldn't keep the puck/get it off of anyone.

With 100 i'm like the loving hulk, just hold my stick in place and watch as people's sticks bounce off it trying to slash the puck off of it. Feels good man. Suppose it also helps that i've gotten more confident and skillful and dictating the flow of play around me now. I can usually get them to check from an awkward spot.

e: The 85 is for days where I haven't eaten much and i'm feeling weak.
60 flex on D? That isn't going to help you slash people at all.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I buy lovely sticks and just sauce all day on blatant shooting opps because I'm the beer league Adam Oates

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vital Signs posted:

60 flex on D? That isn't going to help you slash people at all.

Why do you think I got the hundy? :black101:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vital Signs posted:

I try to stay of the opinion that curve doesn't matter that much.

What the gently caress are you talking about

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dicks, we're talking about dicks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I need to try a different curve cause when I'm with my GF I shoot high and to the left.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Nitramster posted:

I'm finally gainfully employed again and my knee is healed and the next season starts in a few weeks.

It's the time of year for minor league teams to change up their sponsorships which means they sell what they have for pretty cheap. I'm driving up to OKC this weekend for the Blazers sale so I can get a better helmet but I know they'll have pants, sticks, and gloves too. The last time the Allen Americans changed brands they let everything go for about $60-70 each. Now there's no shortage of dude's in red pants/gloves/helmets at pickup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my reebok 11kpro gloves from the Barons (rip) sale were 35 and they work just fine

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

my reebok 11kpro gloves from the Barons (rip) sale were 35 and they work just fine

Thats because the 11k gloves owned.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

Exactly.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

Find a urologist and request Xiaflex penile injections and you can mold your dick in any curve you want

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzGIzIFtflk

Habibi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

You can let me know on the day if you want. The rink is called Solihull Ice Rink and its a doozy....

hey do you need me to bring over anything from here? Even if I don't make it up to Manchester dropping it in UK domestic post must save you a boatload?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know at the end of the month, might have you bring over a replacement cat eye if thats okay?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Nostratic posted:

Find a urologist and request Xiaflex penile injections and you can mold your dick in any curve you want
How's the flex?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

No good for slap shots, but it's perfect for wristers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know at the end of the month, might have you bring over a replacement cat eye if thats okay?

Whatever man. I leave June 3 or 4.