Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

new ios update bricks the ipad pro

work for my iPad Pro king size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there's so much hardware inconsistency with apple products any more that it might only be impacting ipad maxis with certain processors

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Management posted:

lol at "real work" on Windows instead of a UNIX system

is this sentiment like something from computer janitors? I've literally had zero issues with doing development work on a Windows or Mac machine, but trying to do it on Linux is like trying to saw wood on a wobbly sawhorse it loving sucks

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

did I just blow your mind with multiple levels of relevancy? :cool:

imo ge should be banned from building jet engines and battle rockets or w/e they brag about in their commercials until they can prove they can build an icemaker that doesn't break down and leak into the loving evaporator fan every 2 months

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

did I just blow your mind with multiple levels of relevancy? :cool:

you did until you ruined it by explaining the joke

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Hed posted:

NUKE THIS LECTURE HALL
SAVE THE WORLD FROM LIEBERAL FAIL AIDSJ-school students

i would be the guy on my sweet republic of gamers lappy blowing heads of demons while the MAC TARDS whine about flash making their weak "computer" hot

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

angry_keebler posted:

imo ge should be banned from building jet engines and battle rockets or w/e they brag about in their commercials until they can prove they can build an icemaker that doesn't break down and leak into the loving evaporator fan every 2 months

assuming GE makes those and doesn't just license a rebadged generic off alibaba

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Besides when people say stupid poo poo like Macs Are For Creatives they're thinking of like, adobe premiere and photoshop. Yeah sure photoshop runs fine on a mac but have you ever rendered a high quality video from raw source with premiere. That poo poo takes hours. So why would you buy a $2000 mac when you can buy a $1400 PC that has triple the processing power because of GPU offloading etc.

you seem to talk out of your rear end a lot

the Mac Pro has dual GPUs for GPU offloading and it's extremely good at this exact use case

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also didn't apple create OpenCL for this exact thing and now it's the industry standard.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

i would be the guy on my sweet republic of gamers lappy blowing heads of demons while the MAC TARDS whine about flash making their weak "computer" hot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

you like to offload strangers buttholes into your mouth

He does. He loves it!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Triglav posted:

assuming GE makes those and doesn't just license a rebadged generic off alibaba

every time water drips into the evaporator fan and it starts its 90 dB groaning i want to put on my mask and challenge jeffrey immelt to a hair match where as soon as he steps into the squared circle i smash the poo poo eating grin off his stupid face with a folding chair and flip him over the top rope through the announcer's table and then do a lot of tough poses and whip my cape around while the ref pulls his hair and tries to eject me from the ring

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasureKevin posted:

also didn't apple create OpenCL for this exact thing and now it's the industry standard.

OpenCL is a joke dude. It's only advantage is that it's free

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

you like to offload strangers buttholes into your mouth

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

my mother-in-law calls the her ipads 'pads'. As in "I just love my pad!"

also she calls the largest ipad in her collection of ipads her 'maxxi pad'

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
please print phil schillers tweet out and explain it to her over brunch asap

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Maximum Leader posted:

i would be the guy blowing the MAC TARDS making the m hot

yeah

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
thats not at all what i said. are quotes bugged? wtf

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

you seem to talk out of your rear end a lot

the Mac Pro has dual GPUs for GPU offloading and it's extremely good at this exact use case

the trash pro has terrible amd video cards that aren't good at anything

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the trash can was barely defendable when it was announced

3 years later its piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only software that ever used the trash pro video cards was final cut x which nobody but prosumers would ever touch.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my coworker has one because she got a mac book non pro but didn't realize it came with the ultralow wattage chip and can't compile for poo poo. it's ugly af.

release the cross compile license already timb

e: lmao that filter

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the trash pro has terrible amd video cards that aren't good at anything

it has fire pro which means they're really well-tested

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

amd cards are garbage and apple is dumb for insisting on using them still

i believe they have more compute cores than nVidia does. so if you're making a non-gaming device you would favour that card. and if you're worried about it being trash, you'd get the FirePros because they are tested extensively. and maybe you'd even make an improved cooling solution. all of which they did.

but no, don't make a device that is best for your use case because Brands™ are everything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apple holds grudges forever (see: Adobe) and nvidia is a casualty of that b/c they had problems with the mac version of the GeForce 2 in like 2004

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i believe they have more compute cores than nVidia does. so if you're making a non-gaming device you would favour that card. and if you're worried about it being trash, you'd get the FirePros because they are tested extensively. and maybe you'd even make an improved cooling solution. all of which they did.

but no, don't make a device that is best for your use case because Brands are everything

dude the problem is that cuda is a billion times better than opencl. and barring that everything works a lot better on nvidia and renders a LOT faster.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a perhaps better argument than them being bad because they are amd is that they are bad because it is a 2012 amd design still trotted out, combined with osx being pretty poo poo on 3d graphics stuff

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Apple holds grudges forever (see: Adobe) and nvidia is a casualty of that b/c they had problems with the mac version of the GeForce 2 in like 2004

didnt a bunch of nvidia cards fail in the 2011ish macsbooks pros too?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

didnt a bunch of nvidia cards fail in the 2011ish macsbooks pros too?

especially meaningless since their loving motherboards, err "logic boards" die every 13 seconds if left unattended or also while attended

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

possible, but there's a good case against that. i mean, didn't they guy who did the "We ♥️Apple" campaign at Adobe get hired at Apple and made the  Watch. they've also had Microsoft and Adobe on stage many times recently.

and nVidia has mostly been heavily marketed towards gamers. so they're spending money on associating nVidia with gaming. and if Apple doesn't care about gaming, why essentially pay for that marketing while getting less compute cores?

but perhaps there is something about the nVidia executive culture they just really hate too.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

dude the problem is that cuda is a billion times better than opencl. and barring that everything works a lot better on nvidia and renders a LOT faster.

if you have any reading material on this, i'd like to see it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

zen death robot posted:

nvidia also has quadro cards for poo poo thats not gaming focused, just like the firegl stuff...only its actually more powerful.

and lower power consumption

amd also makes garbage cpu's with a lot of cores that run like poo poo compared to the intel ones that have half as many. more isn't better.

nvidia's server class poo poo has been stagnant for going on five years now. they got their foot in the first with their vmware/vdi and tesla stuff but improvements since 2012 have been minimal and AMD gpus are better for performance to dollars/watts right now though that might change if they actually put some attention to their server-class poo poo in conjunction with the 1080 launch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

if you have any reading material on this, i'd like to see it.

you're welcome to crawl through the unending pile of bad posts on creative cow on your own time, but it will become quickly apparent that openCL sucks dog balls. here's some bad posts by idiots i found in 1 second from the top results on google:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1894349

heres some paper with a graph: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.2581.pdf

heres some other barely comprehensible posts from the internet: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/949292

enjoy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the first link is just nvidia's hosed opencl implementation and the second demonstrates a 13-15% performance edge to cuda over opencl which is something but not earth shattering so who gives a poo poo in most situations

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the first link is just nvidia's hosed opencl implementation and the second demonstrates a 13-15% performance edge to cuda over opencl which is something but not earth shattering so who gives a poo poo in most situations

kevin cares

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cannot believe that the aids is so strong in these parts that people would argue for AMD/ATI supremacy over the obviously vastly superior nvidia. LOL. Get real.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

please don't introduce facts into the apple bashing thread.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Smythe posted:

kevin cares

this does not give me pleasure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

so if the choice is between amd and NVidia choose NVidia and if the choice is between opencl and cuda choose cuda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
YOSPOSters in the Apple thread: I love ATI and AMD! They're loving WIN!
YOSPOSters in every other thread: AMD and ATI are fail addled fucklosers. I hate them. Anyone with half a brain can see that Nvidia is obviously the only game in town.

• Locked thread